• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your made up Gaming Rules?

cormack12

Gold Member
Can only heal when I nut.
Very rarely buy DLC, just don't consider it part of the game. Same for MTX.
If there is an unfun meta then don't play the multiplayer.

MrTentakel

You shall not preorder!

-I don`t buy games I do not intend to play within the next two weeks
-I don`t buy games on the promise (the broken mess will be patched and missing content delivered)
-If it´s grindy, boring, frustrating without redeeming qualities stop playing.The money is gone, don`t waste my precious time.
(If it feels like work I should be paid for it, not the other way around)
-I can enjoy games the critics hate and I can despise critical acclaimed hits, that`s OK
-It´s OK to not finish the game when I don`t enjoy it anymore.

-As long as the CEO makes more than a small economy they don`t need to nickel and dime me (the customer) to offset high production cost (aka management overhead).

-No lootboxes, no microtransactions, no bullshit
-No GAAS
-No recurring subscriptions
-Buy what you play and play what you buy
-There is no thing like a one time offer (sale...)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Pretty simple:

-Wait for sale if you think it's a game that might not fit 100% my preference.
-Preorder if you think it's good enough.
-Preorder the highest package if it looks very good.
-Only buy another game when I finish what's in hand, or if it was shit enough to play something else.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thank the heavens there are rich motherfuckers like me who preorder games at full retail digital price or this fucking industry would be dead in 1 hour. Don’t spend more than 10 bucks in a game, ever? Mary of God.

Doesn't even need someone to be rich. If you are a gamer and can afford all your essentials and comfortably afford 1-3 games a month price-wise, waiting a year or even few months for a game you want to get a cut is pretty laughable.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

1. Buy games like a mad man, play only 10% of them. Remember buying the rest at a later date.
2. Think about a game you want to play and play it years later.
3. If you're pretty sure the game is going to be on sale, wait patiently.
4. Console version 30fps? Get PC version.
5. PC version 30fps? Time to play a different game. Or deal with it if you want to play that badly.
6. Never feel guilty about emulation in any capacity.
7. Pirating a game isn't stealing if you ONLY try it out (because no demo) and if you like it BUY IT!
8. Don't be ashamed to use cheats or mods. Enjoy your time or challenge yourself. No point in playing if you're not having fun.
9. Always replay your favorites.
10. Never give in to subjective opinions. Just because they might love\hate a game doesn't mean you'll feel the same. Just try it. Or not.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
1. If you have a health or mana potion, never, EVER use it.

2. You may need it later.

When later comes, refer back to #1

Literally my experience with most RPG games, especially The Witcher 3 that was too easy that I didn't need to use most of my stuff at Deathmarch difficulty.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Speaking of how you spend your money, I was gonna get Far Cry 6 standard and buy the season pass on a later date, now the gold edition is at $59 in the PS Store so got that instead (base is $35). Got Kena as well as it's priced at $27 with PS Plus discount. I'll play both, so no such thing as buy something that you're not sure if you gonna play or not.

SteadyEvo

Recently I’ve avoided online sports games. Looking at you EA. Sucks cause I love NFL and UFC but the games are terribly broken and online matches boil down to who knows the most exploits.

I used to have limits set on spending but getting older and realizing my time could be up at any moment, what’s the point? Grabbed a switch oled and wireless PS5 headset last night. Have games unopened on the shelf 😆

In action adventure games like TLOU or Tomb Raider I have to see what’s down every path. If not I feel like I’m missing something.

Also have a tendency to reroll gamer tags and most recently PSN account. Guessing I’d be somewhere over 150,000 on Xbox and had a level 16 on PlayStation. But replaying games I like to hear that chirp. Can’t wait to play through Second Son and Until Dawn again. And The Order 1886, such an under appreciated gem 💎

Edit: Replying to the post above I’ve learned to wait a month or 2 for Ubisoft games. Price always plummets. But I don’t stand their stuff anymore.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nothing wrong with having rules without them gamers struggle. Not having at least one multiplayer shooter is a big mistake, gotta have a shooter.

fart town usa

Gold Member
My main rule is to never play something that I'm not having fun with, even if it's a game I enjoy. If I'm not having fun or feeling engaged, I'll save the game and put in something else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You shall not preorder!
Oh ya. I forgot about this one.

Although to be fair I have done it in the past for a stretch of years where there's buy 2 get 1 free deals during E3. That was way back when I bought discs and I knew that year there'd be at least 3 games I'd get in Q4. So might as well do it.

But I've never preordered since I went digital, and never have under normal situations like pre-ordering a game at regular price. It's got to be a good deal like above during the disc days.

Last edited:

Fbh

General rules:
- Don't pre order
- Don't buy new games if I have more than 2 unplayed games I bought previously (unless there's some crazy discount)
- Only buy at launch if I want to show support for a specific franchise/dev, wait for everything else because it will be discounted within like 3 months.
- If a console game doesn't runt at 30fps most of the time, wait for at least a 50% off discount
- If I'm no longer consistently having fun with a game, drop it, regardless of how much time I've spent on it already

Game specific rules:
- Yakuza: Don't use healing items (except for the final boss of Kiwami 1, fuck that shit)

Great Hair

Banned
Debbie Reynolds Halloween GIF by filmeditor
Leaf Go Green GIF by Davios Video Production

Just Say No Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
seth green makeup GIF

merry xmas! :p

Fahdis

I reject your hypothesis.

We can agree to disagree.

Well for me it’s less about feeling “superior” and more about playing the game I’m excited about as soon as possible.

That's great for you! Who's to say a person who doesn't play the same game 10 years later won't have the same enjoyment? I played Chrono Trigger 15 years after release and oh man it was a joyride.

only if you're not on youtube, never get close to gaming sites or social media, or don't mind playing every game 100% spoiled which is guaranteed nowadays unless you play games at launch.

I'm barely around. I haven't played TLOU2 and of course morons on YouTube will put videos down exactly with the spoiler by putting the Title of the video exactly that. But oh well, I will experience the game in my own time.
That's sad.

That's also sad.

That also sounds rather sad.

Don't limit yourself so much, you'll probably have more fun.

No offense but like it seems like it would be legitimately depressing to experience the entire art form with those constraints.

Buy games if they interest me and I can afford them, and try to have fun since its ultimately just entertainment.

And play Knack 2 every year.

I don't know man. I enjoyed my time when I was a PS Fanboy for a long time but realized how good games were on other platforms as well (this was during PS1 times). I play SP games mostly for adventure. On PC the delight is the same, the only difference is that instead of buying 1 game, I am buying franchises at a time so fatigue sets in.

I realized gaming is a great hobby but since having a lot more money, I appreciate travelling and experiences/excursions a lot more. I've always had a great balance between work, social and leisure time. Even gaming is a sense of escape isn't it? I'm actually happier than ever in my life now. I've always had this in my life, but its more amplified now. Thanks for your empathy though, nice to know the thicc lover is a nice person.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Doesn't even need someone to be rich. If you are a gamer and can afford all your essentials and comfortably afford 1-3 games a month price-wise, waiting a year or even few months for a game you want to get a cut is pretty laughable.

Yea, its great having the expense of the laugh at others choices when it can also be the other way around 😇. I didn't share my choices for your critique and neither do I have to conform to your "essentials". You do you boo! Laugh and be hearty. Merry Christmas!

cireza

Banned
Buy whatever I want, whenever I want
Day one purchases can be perfectly fine, especially to support a developer I like
Play to have fun, when it gets tedious or boring, give up on the game, there are others to play
I am done with low res, low framerate games. I want 1080@60fps at least, or no buy

Last edited:

MAtgS

If the game I'm interested in is a sequel, play all previous games in that series first.

Ratchet and Clank 2002 goddamn near broke me.

Ryu Kaiba

Never play GAAS style games because they are always trash.

Never play ubisoft games because they are always trash.

Stop playing a game as soon as it starts feeling like checklist filler/stalling trash.

These aren't rules I just naturally don't waste my time with trash.

Also a rule I started doing last year is to not purchase game unless I plan to play it right then and there.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

One, max two, games at a time.

Only normal or hard difficulties. Never easy. I get bored if there's no challenge.

Only buy games that I know I'll play. No overpriced rare editions or retro games that just sit on the shelves for bragging rights.

Never buy on launch unless it's something very high quality. Everything else - wait for complete edition or sales.

Avoid spoilers and reviews. It's more fun to go in blind and discover things for yourself.

No MMO or GaaS. No mtx unless meaty expansions with meaningful content.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
When playing character action games like DMC, I try not to upgrade until I start "struggling", which tends to be around the midway/75% way into the game.
When playing fighting games with friends, I tend to hold back as much as possible, nobody likes getting destroyed without knowing what happened.

For media in general, I don't watch trailers, they are just spoilers.

Shut0wen

Play no more then two games at a time

Avoid mmos and GAAS like the plaque

Play certain online games, always open to try any games multiplayer if i have said game

Never read reviews but always read what people have hated about certain games before i make my judgement IE if an rpg has a certain grins then im skipping that game completely

In any rpg always judge a game within the first 10 hours, cba with any "gets good after 30 hours" nonsense same with certain games are good with friends, literally the worst game in the world can be fun with friends

Not big on coop games, personally i havnt played a decent coop game since borderlands, even with friends and randoms i just dont get any enjoyment out of them anymore

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Single player:

- Don't pay too much attention to reviews
- Grind and become the strongest you can be
- If a bought game isn't fun, just stop playing it

Multiplayer:

- NEVER voice chat with anyone besides friends
- Don't be an asshole toward others
- If other people are jerks/trolls, stop playing
- Don't put energy into playing fighting games anymore

Both single & muliplayer:

- Spend an embarrassing amount of time on character customization :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

episode 16 GIF

Fahdis

Holy shit some of you guys are intense. Like how the F do you manage to buy only games below 10?! Most of the titles I'm interested in never even reach 20, used or new doesn't matter.

Keys from 3rd party vendors and if you're a dual national, a regional store like I do. I'm about to buy all of EA Catalogue on Steam this Christmas (minus Sims).

Yes, it seems like I have some criterias before I buy games or even play them. I've become a snob of some sort. But perhaps I'm economical on a subjective level. But either way here goes:

- Never buy a game more than $5-$10 (will wait years if I have to).

- Never buy a game on Launch.

- Buy Complete Editions or Final Patched Versions Only (made the mistake of buying Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V on Launch).

- Never spend more than a $100 on games every year (if I have to).

- Only buy on Steam and only when discounted.

- I prefer games with Achievements. Finishing them completely is a Challenge on its own.

- Play the game at the easiest difficulty to respect your time (unless Achievement requires to play on Hardest difficulty).

- Once finished I don't play the same game ever again, unless it has nostalgia (more adventures are waiting).

- If I can use ingame cheats or trainers on SP games for fun at times, I will.

- Avoid MP at all cost unless its fun.

- Avoid MMO's and GAAS as much as I can.

What's your gaming rules you have applied to yourself? Also Merry Christmas to you all.
Man, either you are really hard on cash, don't take gaming nearly as seriously as me or you're just cheap.

I have no second thoughts about buying games at launch. I like to support the industry.

$100 a YEAR? I am closer to spending $100 per week on average- especially if you factor in new hardware.

Thats not even including the thousands I've spent on our dedicated media room with 7.2 in-wall surround sound, media seating, etc.

But, I DO have certain costs I avoid as they are not what I want gaming to be - most microtransactions and DLC. I have no issues paying an upfront monthly fee for a good MMO, like FFXIV. I just HATE F2P games with pay-to-win or even pay-to-experience-all-features. I'll also take $70 AAA games over cheaper games that constantly nickel and dime you.

Last edited:
I have only a single rule:

I play games to enjoy myself. Whatever I play or do in the context of this hobby must lead to that sense enjoyment or I do something else.

So it's a flexible, fluid/adaptable rule.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Any game filled with MTX, any GAAS title - wait at least 1-4 years to see if I am still interested. If I am, then buy it used on the lowest price you can find.

Don't buy Digital Only Consoles as they are a cancer and blight for the medium.

Always buy Physical if there exists a physical copy of the game. The few "bonuses" for digital titles are mostly for incredibly lazy people who like throwing money down the drain.

Never give money to Scam Citizen.

Never buy any game that has an NFT.

- Wait for most games to go on sale/get complete versions, unless it’s a game I know I’ll want to play day one. In that case I try to limit launch day purchases to 2-3 times a year max.

- Watch analysis videos like DF to see if a game I’m interested in getting has any glaring technical issues; I like to know what I’m getting into. If the game has issues then that gives me more reason to hold out for a sale later.

- If I buy a fighting game, don’t buy any dlc and just wait and trade in the base game for the “Complete” edition. Unless the DLC isn’t that interesting, in which case I just buy a couple DLC characters that seem fun to me.

- Save up Microsoft rewards points to spend on stuff on sale or smaller DLCs. For instance I’ve bought most of SoulCalibur 6’s DLC characters by just saving up Rewards Points; didn’t spend a dime of my own.

- Even though I like online shooters, I rarely buy them anymore. It just feels like a waste whenever the “next” game comes out and nobody is playing the one you like anymore. I’ve been playing Halo Infinite of and on, but that’s F2P, before that the last online shooter I played was Battlefield 1. The only multiplayer games I really bother getting are fighting games since you can still play them offline.

always go through the options before starting the game. i have done this ever since i can remember.

also, i always have to try and complete a game i bought at full price becuase it feels like such a waste of money if i dont. £40-£50 is still alot of money to just throw away without getting something back out of it. so even if im not liking a game i will try to push through. alot of the times i give up though.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Man, either you are really hard on cash, don't take gaming nearly as seriously as me or you're just cheap.

I have no second thoughts about buying games at launch. I like to support the industry.

$100 a YEAR? I am closer to spending $100 per week on average- especially if you factor in new hardware.

Thats not even including the thousands I've spent on our dedicated media room with 7.2 in-wall surround sound, media seating, etc.

But, I DO have certain costs I avoid as they are not what I want gaming to be - most microtransactions and DLC. I have no issues paying an upfront monthly fee for a good MMO, like FFXIV. I just HATE F2P games with pay-to-win or even pay-to-experience-all-features. I'll also take $70 AAA games over cheaper games that constantly nickel and dime you.

Read Post #81 :) Gaming isn't as big of a priority to me as it used to be. You can check my Steam handle at "Fahdis". I have over 500 games at this point. I just don't buy new. And my PS Library is even bigger when it was important. The smallest being Xbox and Nintendo.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
- Save button is my closest friend. It usually annoys me when the game doesn't allow to save on command and I typically stay away from ironman or other modes/games with saving made impossible on purpose.

- I don't play multiplayer unless it has easy trophies.

- Playing on normal is fine unless it's a stealth game or a racing game and then I like the extra challenge.

- Never buy any collector's editions. With season passes I only go for the discounted ones filled with good content.

- No microtransactions, no exceptions.

- I'll always create or pick a white male fighter protagonist as long as the game allows it.

AndrewRyan

The only rule i ever had was reading the instruction manual of every game before starting (kinda of a ritual), even if it was stupidly long like the one inside oblivion or morrowind (if i remember well) but i don't have this problem anymore...

Used to have the same ritual:
1. Buy the physical game at GameStop.
2. Read the manual over a delicious burrito at Chipotle.
3. Go home to enjoy the hell out of the new game you already know how to control!

S0ULZB0URNE

Game has to be lengthy for full price if it doesn't have multiplayer.

No longer buy newer competitive multiplayer games on PC/turn off crossplay with PC.

Don't gamepass/spartan.

Don't chase achievements/trophies.

AndrewRyan

Admire those of you who only play one at a time. Think I'd enjoy gaming more if I had that discipline but instead usually ask; What am I in the mood to play?

Don'y buy the sequel if I haven't finished the previous. Saves mucho $$$.

Explore every nook and cranny.

Never skip cut-scenes on the first play through.

Steam games: Always play to at least the first checkpoint of every game within the first two weeks. Most games I own are at least 1% completed.

Steam games: Don't buy any game requiring a 3rd party launcher. Return immediately if one sneaks through and pops up its ugly head.

Games are generally worth $5-25, but there's many exceptions from my favorite developers.

Stop playing VR games immediately at the first sign of motion sickness. Go back the next day, or longer if necessary.

For RPG's: Don't steal unless it's an evil play through.

ABR: Always be reloading. Compulsively, I must reload after ever exchange!

ABH: Hoard all the things!

GymWolf

Used to have the same ritual:
1. Buy the physical game at GameStop.
2. Read the manual over a delicious burrito at Chipotle.
3. Go home to enjoy the hell out of the new game you already know how to control!
We don't have burrito at chitpole in italy and if i remember well, gamestop weren't even a thing here where i live when games had instruction manuals :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom