• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your view on exclusive content between consoles?

Do you prefer more exclusives between the consoles or less?

• Yes, I prefer there to be more exclusive game content between the two consoles

Votes: 118 54.1%
  • No, I think everyone should be able to play the majority of games without buying multiple consoles

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Meh, I'm a PC gamer, so I'm gonna get everything eventually.

Votes: 36 16.5%

• Total voters

Astral Dog

Nothing wrong with 1st party exclusives. What's annoying is when it's 3rd party either fully or timed. Timed dlc is also a terrible practice but I wasn't going to buy it anyway.
If its 'fully' exclusive then that makes it first party lol since a big deal was made behind the scenes(most likely to fund development)

Wunray

I hope one day console exclusive games stop being a thing they only serve the interest of platform holders pushing people into specific eco systems. PC gaming has opened my eyes to this fact. I eagerly await the day Nintendo games are legally obtained on PC cause games like Xenoblade deserve better, their worlds are amazing. Oh and also preservation is a big thing too.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 100% behind exclusive games and content. It's what drives more people to your platform and for a subscription service like Game Pass, is mandatory in order for it to gain new subscribers. More importantly, the exclusivity needs to be AAA games more than Indies/AA because the blockbusters are the games that will drive people to your console, platform and eco-system.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
PC was once king when it had exclusive games. Exclusives are important because they receive a certain funding and quality that most if not all 3rd parties do not.

What? Lol. This sentence is only true if you play a certain type of games. Here's the template:

✅ Third person perspective
✅ Cover shooting
✅ Slow walking sections
✅ CLIMBING
✅ Loads of cutscenes
✅ Bombastic set pieces that are nothing more than a glorify QTE sections with illusion of player's control

Some of the top rated games are either a PC exclusive or were first released on PC, long before consoles. Games like:

And so, so soooo many more...

Last edited:
I'm a fan of console exclusives that make good use of the console's features, which is why many of the Wii U exclusives even if ported to Switch still appeal to me on the Wii U itself

geary

What? Lol. This sentence is only true if you play a certain type of games. Here's the template:

✅ Third person perspective
✅ Cover shooting
✅ Slow walking sections
✅ CLIMBING
✅ Loads of cutscenes
✅ Bombastic set pieces that are nothing more than a glorify QTE sections with illusion of player's control

Some of the top rated games are either a PC exclusive or were first released on PC, long before consoles. Games like:

And so, so soooo many more...
Those are crap cause they don't put 90% of the budget in marketing and mocap.
/s

Astral Dog

I hope one day console exclusive games stop being a thing they only serve the interest of platform holders pushing people into specific eco systems. PC gaming has opened my eyes to this fact. I eagerly await the day Nintendo games are legally obtained on PC cause games like Xenoblade deserve better, their worlds are amazing. Oh and also preservation is a big thing too.
hilariously ironic since without a game box to sell Xenoblade wouldn't even be made in the first place, thats how Nintendo's business model works, may as well say Nintendo should go third party lol

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
A console without great exclusives, is not a console, that's all
SA1ZtiK.jpg
If it's not a console then what is it?

Ideally there'd be no exclusive content and people would just pick a console for specs, features, and services. But given that this is the way it works, I don't mind exclusive content as long as it has a reason beyond money as to why it's exclusive. Basically the only games I think should be exclusive are as follows.

1. First party games
2. 2nd/3rd party games using 1st party IP
3. 3rd party games where Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo played a significant role in development and/or funded the majority of the game (i.e. the game would not exist if not for the platform holder, not the whole bullshit "buying" exclusivity that all platform holders do)

There's no need for exclusives since secret sauce doesn't really exist. We're heading towards a future where all games will come out on PC anyway. Only Nintendo will stay stubborn for another 20 years :messenger_beaming:

Filben

Exclusive content is only a tool for cooperations to bind you to their brand and system and is nothing from a consumer perspective that should be endorsed.

So no, I think there shouldn't be any exclusive content at all. Make it available on all (applicable) platforms and have players enjoy your content on their platform of choice; a choice made because friends are playing on it, system features or hardware or peripherals.

If there are multiple consoles, then there has to be exclusives. Otherwise what is the point. It would be nice to have one console that plays everything though.

Lognor

Banned
I don't mind. There are too many good games to play so I keep myself more than busy between my xsx and pc. I haven't played tlou2, uncharted 4 or other high profile Sony games and I'm fine with that. Can't play them all! I've got a family and a job. Not enough time in the day.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The thing is, modern consoles are basically just PCs and everything shares the same architecture. OP brings up Saturn and PS1, but they were very different machines. Look how different the Saturn and PS1 versions of Tomb Raider are. It made sense to make games for 1 console or the other back then.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I like exclusives especially since Xbox now owns almost all the studios that make the games I want to play. I do wish instead of A/B/K they had spent far less and got Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal and Asobo then pretty much everything I like would be on Xbox and couldn't be moneyhatted.

I'm not really into Japanese games or any Sony exclusives except Horizon and I have a Switch for BotW and handheld goodness.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

For me, it’s hardware-related. There’s something special about a game being made for a single console spec with all of it’s features being utilized to the fullest, with way more optimization time spent on that console because it’s the only platform the game’s coming out on.

We’ve gotten some brilliant exclusives from that & that’s why I even bought the console in the first place.

I find myself playing more 3rd party titles than anything else these days to be fair. I feel like exclusives were a much bigger deal in the PS2/Xbox and maybe PS3/360 Era. As time went on, less and less exclusives started existing on both ends imo. It doesn't feel the same anymore.

God I miss the glory days of 360 so much :/ it was something truly special.

Guilty_AI

They exist, and probably always will exist to some extent. Some people say they're important because "competition" or some "magical hardware optimization" but i consider these views to be fairly outdated.

The "optimization" part was true in a time when different consoles vastly differed from each other in terms of specs, architechture, controls, etc. Nowadays every gaming machine works pretty much the same and support all sorts of different peripherals. There really isn't much that can be done in one machine that can't be done in the other.

The "competition" part was also true at some point when there just weren't that many games around, and looking for something nice to play in a sea of bad copy-pastes or just terrible games in general was harder, not to mention the target audience at the time were kids whose only means to get a console would be begging their parents who would probably be unwilling to buy more than one console.
Nowadays you have immediate access to all sorts of digital platforms that give you catalogues going back 30 years, and smaller devs making up the cluster of games have access to good tools and have decades of game development history to look back on to at least be able to create decently fun experiences. And as the target audience are generally working adults now owning multiple consoles isn't much of an issue, meaning you can't really lock them into a specific ecosystem as effectively.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
They exist, and probably always will exist to some extent. Some people say they're important because "competition" or some "magical hardware optimization" but i consider these views to be fairly outdated.

The "optimization" part was true in a time when different consoles vastly differed from each other in terms of specs, architechture, controls, etc. Nowadays every gaming machine works pretty much the same and support all sorts of different peripherals. There really isn't much that can be done in one machine that can't be done in the other.

The "competition" part was also true at some point when there just weren't that many games around, and looking for something nice to play in a sea of bad copy-pastes or just terrible games in general was harder, not to mention the target audience at the time were kids whose only means to get a console would be begging their parents who would probably be unwilling to buy more than one console.
Nowadays you have immediate access to all sorts of digital platforms that give you catalogues going back 30 years, and smaller devs making up the cluster of games have access to good tools and have decades of game development history to look back on to at least be able to create decently fun experiences. And as the target audience are generally working adults now, owning multiple consoles isn't much of an issue.
The competition part is still true just like the streaming services have their exclusive content. The difference here is that the console makers realized PC doesn’t interfere in their revenue or market share. Nobody sees pc as competition to hardware acquisition.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I no liked the nes era where there were completely different games under the same name. Like strider, rygar, and to a lesser extent double dragon.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wouldn't care in the least if exclusive games went away as I have had a lot of great experiences in 3rd party titles

Being exclusive doesnt make for a great game all by itself

Guilty_AI

The competition part is still true just like the streaming services have their exclusive content. The difference here is that the console makers realized PC doesn’t interfere in their revenue or market share. Nobody sees pc as competition to hardware acquisition.
Its true but in a different format. Nowadays the competitive platform isn't really the hardware, its the software.
Some companies like Apple still hold on to using their hardware as their ecosystem but even those gave in to some degree or another to the unification of computer devices.

anthony2690

Banned
In a perfect world we could play all games on all platforms.

I do miss the arc system works fighting games not being on Xbox myself.

But I wouldn't complain if friends on playstation, could play sea of thieves or killer instinct or any other game I enjoy playing that features co op/versus.

Honestly, if it was up to me, there would be zero cross-over between PlayStation and Xbox. I was going to add Switch as well, but the trade-off having the best running versions or portable makes both options worthwhile.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lost exclusives kill fanboys when Sony fights with Microsoft for sales it’s about exclusives it’s fair to have exclusives system sellers like Zelda are serious.

Wunray

hilariously ironic since without a game box to sell Xenoblade wouldn't even be made in the first place, thats how Nintendo's business model works, may as well say Nintendo should go third party lol
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ alright Nintendo funded the game to sell their box(re read your comment and edited my response), tbh there is nothing special about these consoles that make it impossible to play their games on other platforms(I guess except for motion control games but those peripherals can be made for just about any platform). Think you're missing the point I'm trying to make.

To further elaborate I'm saying these exclusive exist to give purpose to these plastic boxes which only serve the interest of the share holders. Exclusives serve no real purpose to the consumer.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To further elaborate I'm saying these exclusive exist to give purpose to these plastic boxes which only serve the interest of the share holders. Exclusives serve no real purpose to the consumer.
Not always, for example: the reason Bayonetta 2 and upcoming 3rd game is exclusive to Switch because no other publisher was not willing to support it other than Nintendo.

cireza

Banned
Exclusives suck. Who wants to buy several consoles ? Waste of money. Waste of resources.

First party games suck most of the time anyway. I only play third parties, that's where some creativity can be found, and these games have absolutely no good reason to be exclusive to anything.

Wunray

Not always, for example: the reason Bayonetta 2 and upcoming 3rd game is exclusive to Switch because no other publisher was not willing to support it other than Nintendo.
Yeah and that was awesome of Nintendo, but that's an outlier and doesn't happen often, also it still denies a large part of the Bayonetta fan base from playing the sequel, unless they she'll out. Won't effect me cause I have multiple consoles but I'd rather not have to, would rather just play it on PC........or at least release it later on PC.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah and that was awesome of Nintendo, but that's an outlier and doesn't happen often, also it still denies a large part of the Bayonetta fan base from playing the sequel, unless they she'll out. Won't effect me cause I have multiple consoles but I'd rather not have to, would rather just play it on PC........or at least release it later on PC.
If I have to choose between Bayonetta being exclusive or not exist at all then rather choose to be exclusive. Even with Monolith Soft they struggle because other publisher were not willing to fully support their projects, this is why Xenogears never got sequel and Xenosaga six part cut down to only three parts but Nintendo seems much more willing to support their projects.

Especially these days that even Sony is much more focus on western market and kind of butchered most first party Japanese games.

Paasei

Yep, I like exclusive games for consoles. It’s the only reason to get one for me personally. I can play everything on PC.

CamHostage

In a perfect world all games should be on all platforms.

Everyone gets to play the games and save money too.

But console makers have to shift consoles/make money and only exclusive games do that.

Or no platforms.

The current market is that you're not buying the best hardware for your purposes, you're buying the singular hardware that plays the games and offers the infrastructure from the company who makes certain software or interfaces that you like. You can't even buy a "top-of-the-line" Xbox or PlayStation or Switch 2022 model right now because they only make one box (which is already 17 months old now) with a few minor storage variants.

If videogames were more like PC or even Android, you'd have choices of power and construction quality, you'd have choices of price, you'd have choices of color or shape or other cosmetics or ergonomics, etc. Lots of the variations would be clones (sadly, even in "open" OS platforms, the product creators end up making a lot of the same things,) but you would be buying the hardware for what you need of it and for the software you intend to use on it.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you see the benefits of an active console market,) things don't work out that way.

Or rather, they work out both ways (though even PC and Android have their cliquiness and governors,) and we have the best and worst of both market types to choose from right now.

Last edited:

Wunray

If I have to choose between Bayonetta being exclusive or not exist at all then rather choose to be exclusive. Even with Monolith Soft they struggle because other publisher were not willing to fully support their projects, this is why Xenogears never got sequel and Xenosaga six part cut down to only three parts but Nintendo seems much more willing to support their projects.

Especially these days that even Sony is much more focus on western market and kind of butchered most first party Japanese games.
All I'm saying is the more options available to the individual will always be better than less.

Gravity rush would live forever with mods if it were released on PC....just saying.

Top Bottom