• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your view on exclusive content between consoles?

Do you prefer more exclusives between the consoles or less?

• Yes, I prefer there to be more exclusive game content between the two consoles

Votes: 118 54.1%
  • No, I think everyone should be able to play the majority of games without buying multiple consoles

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Meh, I'm a PC gamer, so I'm gonna get everything eventually.

Votes: 36 16.5%

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
All I'm saying is the more options available to the individual will always be better than less.

Gravity rush would live forever with mods if it were released on PC....just saying.
That will require Sony caring about their first party Japanese games and they currently dont, they are not even willing to properly patch The Last Guardian for PS5.

Western/Marvel first party games is the only thing Sony care about this gen.

Guilty_AI

I don’t know about the 2nd and 3rd but definitely the first. Gameplay is more important than FPS.
"first person shooter"

In case you missed the sarcasm, console gamers in the time when "PC was king" were basically dismissing the platform with arguments not too different from the ones used now. You're just repeating history.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

That will require Sony caring about their first party Japanese games and they currently dont, they are not even willing to properly patch The Last Guardian for PS5.
Thats the point. Beloved dead or forgotten games can keep living on PC thanks to community support, even if the company that originally made it doesn't give a crap anymore.

Daggerfall Unity is probably one of the best examples of this:
https://www.dfworkshop.net/

Many old VNs games also can only be played with the help of console or PC-98 emulators or the such, not to mention how many JP games only got popular in the west thanks to fan translations.

The best chance for a Gravity Rush revival right now is, ironically, the progress of ps4 emulation.

bitbydeath

"first person shooter"

In case you missed the sarcasm, console gamers in the time when "PC was king" were basically dismissing the platform with arguments not too different from the ones used now. You're just repeating history.
Nah, the games were simply better on PC back then, there was still amazing FPS games back then too, Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage.

Amiga

I just want great content. Exclusives increase them. Platform holders focus more on reception and popularity of games(Nintendo and Sony at least).
SEGA as a publisher only is nothing compared to when they had a platform. Sony were taking losses on 1st party games on the PS3. They made money from growing the platform. Nintendo games sell tons, but they make even more from profitable hardware margins.
When BioWare had an exclusive deal with MS their games were pure for their fanbase, after they went multi-platform they were pushed to focus on more profitability and attracting more casuals.

Wildebeest

The guy who made Vampire Survivors found a way to inject pure shots of serotonin into your brain. In five years time, you will be playing a console exclusive clone of Vampire Survivor that is objectively worse because they overcomplicate it. But it will have better graphics, so you will be acting like your favourite console brand has mastered the secrets of the universe. It's just the natural order of things.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ alright Nintendo funded the game to sell their box(re read your comment and edited my response), tbh there is nothing special about these consoles that make it impossible to play their games on other platforms(I guess except for motion control games but those peripherals can be made for just about any platform). Think you're missing the point I'm trying to make.

To further elaborate I'm saying these exclusive exist to give purpose to these plastic boxes which only serve the interest of the share holders. Exclusives serve no real purpose to the consumer.
for you Nintendo's cheap tablet may be worthless, but lets see, where do you think they get the money to fund your precious little games such as Xenoblade 🤔?

yep, it all comes from those system sales you look down on, the only reason these games get made in the first place and have such high quality standards is because Nintendo uses them to bring people to their ecosystem so they can in turn earn more profit for themselves and develop more varied and high quality games , otherwise they would be throwing away their value.

Last edited:

Wunray

for you Nintendo's cheap tablet may be worthless, but lets see, where do you think they get the money to fund your precious little games such as Xenoblade 🤔?

yep, it all comes from those system sales you look down on, the only reason these games get made in the first place and have such high quality standards is because Nintendo uses them to bring people to their ecosystem so they can in turn earn more profit for themselves and develop more varied and high quality games , otherwise they would be throwing away their value.
I would imagine the same way Activision and EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft and I guess now Sony, by selling a lot of copies of their games. Sometime down the line, Nintendo games will eventually end up on pc too, it's inevitable tbh.

Last edited:

Jerm411

I prefer all the exclusives, 1st or 3rd party…

Competition drives the industry and thus, we the consumers, are the big winners.

If everything was everywhere, there’d be no point to innovate or push the boundaries on different games…you’d get the most cookie cutter shit ever.

Last edited:

Jerm411

According to this thread's poll: People still love console wars.
The whole notion that “console warring” is this great sin is so dumb to me….

It’s literally no different than sports teams, arguing over genres of music, preferring a certain movie director, etc.

People are always going to have their favorites and biases…gaming is no different.

As long as it doesn’t go “off the deep end crazy” than who cares…

Healthy debate and rhetoric is good…not everything is CONSOLE WARZ~!!!

Astral Dog

I would imagine the same way Activision and EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft and I guess now Sony, by selling a lot of units. Sometime down the line, Nintendo games will eventually end up on pc too, it's inevitable tbh.
They already sell alot of games and consoles.🤷🏻‍♂️
EA, Activision and Ubisoft are irrelevant since they don't make their own system, and don't let me start on their quality standards...

But huh, sure a Zelda, Pokemon or Mario would sell a lot of units.

A Xenoblade, Astral Chain, Bayonetta, Metroid, and other games may not be profitable enough on their own and could be discarded.

some day im sure Xenoblade will come to PC, but thats not my point, you are looking down on the value the console brings for the company,Sony won't release God of War, FFVII or Horizon on Xbox and Nintendo anytime soon, and none of the big 3 will stop bringing value to their boxes.

Astral Dog

The whole notion that “console warring” is this great sin is so dumb to me….

It’s literally no different than sports teams, arguing over genres of music, preferring a certain movie director, etc.

People are always going to have their favorites and biases…gaming is no different.

As long as it doesn’t go “off the deep end crazy” than who cares…

Healthy debate and rhetoric is good…not everything is CONSOLE WARZ~!!!
yeah entertaintment works different, its about value and branding, its like complaining HBO, Netflix, Disney, Amazon have their own streaming services and produce their own shows instead of a neutral TV set were everything goes.

Sure, it would be cheaper and convenient for ME,the consumer and im always right, but thats not how business works.

Guilty_AI

Nah, the differences are obvious. PC gaming used to be on another level, it had AAA exclusives, these days it’s a port machine, you can advocate for indies but that doesn’t make up for the abandonment of AAA exclusives.
Define AAA exclusives. Many of the classics back then were made by teams in size not different from the indies you're currently dismissing,

Wunray

They already sell alot of games and consoles.🤷🏻‍♂️
EA, Activision and Ubisoft are irrelevant since they don't make their own system, and don't let me start on their quality standards...

But huh, sure a Zelda, Pokemon or Mario would sell a lot of units.

A Xenoblade, Astral Chain, Bayonetta, Metroid, and other games may not be profitable enough on their own and could be discarded.

some day im sure Xenoblade will come to PC, but thats not my point, you are looking down on the value the console brings for the company,Sony won't release God of War, FFVII or Horizon on Xbox and Nintendo anytime soon, and none of the big 3 will stop bringing value to their boxes.
I'm advocating for more options for the consumer to enjoy games they love, I like sony's approach as to where they release their games first on console and then pc. While we have Nintendo over here selling you wii u games on the switch, as an owner of a wii u I will not support that bullshit and will proudly........acquire them through other means on PC. Yeah, exclusive content only really serves the company's best interest, not the consumer.

Susurrus

Honestly, idgaf. I generally get every console gen. I currently have my PS5, Xbox One S, Switch, PSTV, PS3, and PC hooked up to my TV.

I think I have however decided to hold out on Series X. I was waiting to get one to when it'd be on store shelves, but ended up getting a new high end PC, and from what I understand all Series X games are on PC as well making this redundant. IDK maybe some third parties dont, but I'd assume those would be on PS5 which I already have. And I'll keep my Xbox One S hooked up for stuff from that gen and BC that isn't on PC or I already own.

Astral Dog

I'm advocating for more options for the consumer to enjoy games they love, I like sony's approach as to where they release their games first on console and then pc. While we have Nintendo over here selling you wii u games on the switch, as an owner of a wii u I will not support that bullshit and will proudly........acquire them through other means on PC. Yeah, exclusive content only really serves the company's best interest, not the consumer.
What they do is not in any way anti consumer, you just don't want to invest in their platform anymore because the thing disgusts you and would rather play games on your new $700 power brick PC at 8k 120fps, wich is fine, but Nintendo doesn't have any obligation to bring their games to you and you aren't entitled to them. Just like Sony doesn't have any obligation to release God of War/Horizon on Xbox or whatever. they are willing to be more flexible on PC, good for them but is not an example that everybody will follow at the same time.

outside the portability aspect and motion controls nobody cares about the actual Switch hardware, but thats not the point of selling a console, what makes the Switch special is the cool games Nintendo releases for it, otherwise it would just be a Steam Deck.

like, of course they are evaluating every market strategy at this very moment, but building their own ecosystem is extremely important for Nintendo, that's why they have launched many successful platforms over the years(along with a few failures ofc) , also third party developers gain another platform where to sell their games on, besides Xbox, PlayStation and PC.wich is HEALTHY for the market

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I can understand why they exist, but I definitely prefer whenever a game goes multiplatform. This way I can choose wherever I want to play instead of be locked on a specific system.

SLB1904

Banned
Exclusive content is the shit. If you can't afford more than one console change hobbies.
Please more exclusive content

Your going to need console exclusives to push console sales. But at the very least those exclusive games should go to PC after a year or so. There's countries that are unable to get consoles and only get PCs. Also the PC market is much bigger so the game studios will get more money. Sony is just starting to see it. Hopefully Nintendo will catch on soon so we can get proper Bayonetta 3 on PC and consoles instead of relying on emulating.

sachos

The benefit about exclusives i like is that it enables the dev team to just focus on one machine with a set spec, potentially allowing them to extract every ounce of power out of it, like what Naughty Dog does for Sony, its incredible how good TLoU2 looks on a base PS4, imagine what they will do with PS5. The obvious counterpoint is that it forces you to buy yet another platform, i totally see why thats anoying so i respect both opinions.

Swift_Star

Banned
You only have to pull up a pic of the first one to see why their claim falls flat.

images

Yeah, nooooooo. Lol
That looks hideous. I can barely understand what is going on.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Define AAA exclusives. Many of the classics back then were made by teams in size not different from the indies you're currently dismissing,
Games made directly for a single system, with a large budget.

The development tools have come a long way so you can’t compare today’s indies against AAA of the past, it was no way near that easy back then.

Exclusives are for kids and their silly imaginated wars.
Maybe I'm living in the past but I loved the separation between the catalogues of say the PS1, N64 and the Saturn. Very different vibes, very different types of games.
You can even throw in the Neo Geo console.
What's the point in having two different consoles for maybe 2 or 3 exclusives a year on each one?
I currently only game on Xbox, but I get happy when I see Sony buy another studio as that means more different content.
The more games that the PS5 has over the XSX means that when I do get a PS5 there's going to be a ton of great games in the BC that I haven't played yet.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I understand the pros of exclusives and competition within the industry.

But personally, i dont give a shit. Give me every game everywhere and crossplatform multiplayer on all games.

Astral Dog

Your going to need console exclusives to push console sales. But at the very least those exclusive games should go to PC after a year or so. There's countries that are unable to get consoles and only get PCs. Also the PC market is much bigger so the game studios will get more money. Sony is just starting to see it. Hopefully Nintendo will catch on soon so we can get proper Bayonetta 3 on PC and consoles instead of relying on emulating.
pal let me break it down to you
Nintendo is the only reason Bayonetta even keeps existing.

That's because it has almost no value as a third party game or ip, PlayStation and Xbox players only bought it when they found it at the bargain bin, no other company gave any shit to fund sequels until Nintendo put the money on the table, and that's because they are trying to find a fanbase for Platinum that actually values and buys this game at full price just like their other first party titles, not a garbage sale two months later like it happens on other consoles.

Most fans will actually play Bayonetta 3 this time on the Switch, and get used to the idea.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think its just a lame psychological tactic to make people thinks that it is great, by giving them a justification to tell themselves that they have made the right decision. It also limit games from performing better than they could.

Console exclusives coming to PC now is a great thing.

Corndog

Banned
I hope one day console exclusive games stop being a thing they only serve the interest of platform holders pushing people into specific eco systems. PC gaming has opened my eyes to this fact. I eagerly await the day Nintendo games are legally obtained on PC cause games like Xenoblade deserve better, their worlds are amazing. Oh and also preservation is a big thing too.
I think that would be nice but not likely unless console hardware goes away. Basically Xbox,PlayStation, and Nintendo would have to switch to only being publishers. Doing that would cause them to lose all the income they get from developers on their platform.

Wunray

I think that would be nice but not likely unless console hardware goes away. Basically Xbox,PlayStation, and Nintendo would have to switch to only being publishers. Doing that would cause them to lose all the income they get from developers on their platform.
Like i said, i like the sony approach, console first then pc. In ideal world you would only need 1 device but greed wont allow for that.

ZywyPL

Banned
Maybe I'm living in the past but I loved the separation between the catalogues of say the PS1, N64 and the Saturn. Very different vibes, very different types of games.
You can even throw in the Neo Geo console.
What's the point in having two different consoles for maybe 2 or 3 exclusives a year on each one?
I currently only game on Xbox, but I get happy when I see Sony buy another studio as that means more different content.
The more games that the PS5 has over the XSX means that when I do get a PS5 there's going to be a ton of great games in the BC that I haven't played yet.

But what would've change if, for example, you got to play GT7 on Xbox? Nothing, it would still be the exact same game.

In the old generations when each console was so vastly different hardeare-wise from each other it was even logical and obvious that the devs could focus only on a single one when making their game, but nowadays it's all closed-spec PCs, with the exact same AMD components, and as you say, it's only a handful of titles that differentiate both console, and that's only because the business decision.

Wunray

What they do is not in any way anti consumer, you just don't want to invest in their platform anymore because the thing disgusts you and would rather play games on your new $700 power brick PC at 8k 120fps, wich is fine, but Nintendo doesn't have any obligation to bring their games to you and you aren't entitled to them. Just like Sony doesn't have any obligation to release God of War/Horizon on Xbox or whatever. they are willing to be more flexible on PC, good for them but is not an example that everybody will follow at the same time.

outside the portability aspect and motion controls nobody cares about the actual Switch hardware, but thats not the point of selling a console, what makes the Switch special is the cool games Nintendo releases for it, otherwise it would just be a Steam Deck.

like, of course they are evaluating every market strategy at this very moment, but building their own ecosystem is extremely important for Nintendo, that's why they have launched many successful platforms over the years(along with a few failures ofc) , also third party developers gain another platform where to sell their games on, besides Xbox, PlayStation and PC.wich is HEALTHY for the market
Companies buying exclusive content for third party games is anti consumer, nintendo trying to sell you the same rom for a 3rd time is anti consumer, console games being left to die on on said console is just sad. I have never said consoles shouldnt exist, they are convenient but there should be more options on where you can play such games. I single nintendo out because some of their practices have been rather anti consumer as of late. I also own a switch and prefer to play indies on there instead of on my computer, glad those developers are giving me that choice.

Astral Dog

Companies buying exclusive content for third party games is anti consumer, nintendo trying to sell you the same rom for a 3rd time is anti consumer, console games being left to die on on said console is just sad. I have never said consoles shouldnt exist, they are convenient but there should be more options on where you can play such games. I single nintendo out because some of their practices have been rather anti consumer as of late. I also own a switch and prefer to play indies on there instead of on my computer, glad those developers are giving me that choice.
I thought Nintendo giving those Wii U games a second chance was a very good thing 🤷🏻‍♂️ nothing to be salty about.

also, people can get a Switch Lite for what, $200? that isn't terribly expensive these days, if you can afford a gaming PC alongside your super brick Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, surely you could get a little Switch as well, Nintendo offers plenty of options for everyone,that isn't being anti consumer

But this isn't about value, options or games, you just don't want to invest on this system, despite owning multiple consoles and a PC the Switch is were you draw the line now, alot of gamers seem to think that way, hmm most curious 🤭

Nintendo isn't perfect but this silly anti consumer nonsense only because you can't play all your favorite games on other companies systems is a joke and completely disregards all the hard work they been doing this generation to make the Switch stand out among the competition, they CAN put all their games on PC if they want to, also on PlayStation and Xbox, nobody is stoping them, or they can also simply not do it, its their content and right.

Guilty_AI

Games made directly for a single system, with a large budget.
Then there were no AAA back then since development budgets were still around grands even with currency adjustments, much like modern indies.
The development tools have come a long way so you can’t compare today’s indies against AAA of the past, it was no way near that easy back then.
Man power and development time are the biggest costs of making a game (maybe unless you're licensing a bunch of expensive actors, music and stuff) and teams at that time consisted of around 10 people making a new game in a year or two which is very much comparable to modern indies, even if "it wasn't easy" due to lack of tools.

And not like we don't have these same small teams still breaking new ground nowadays anyway. You'll be hard pressed to find stuff like Beamng or Teardown or Factorio or KSP anywhere near the modern AAA space.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Exclusivity is dumb and gatekeeps people from playing great games, especially those who are lower income. A console is a big investment for some people and I honestly can't imagine missing out on the Uncharted or God of War series growing up because my family couldn't afford another system besides my Nintendo or Xbox console. It really only serves to rile up fanboys of pieces of plastic owned by billion dollar corpos and hedge funds.

Wunray

I thought Nintendo giving those Wii U games a second chance was a very good thing 🤷🏻‍♂️ nothing to be salty about.

also, people can get a Switch Lite for what, $200? that isn't terribly expensive these days, if you can afford a gaming PC alongside your super brick Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, surely you could get a little Switch as well, Nintendo offers plenty of options for everyone,that isn't being anti consumer

But this isn't about value, options or games, you just don't want to invest on this system, despite owning multiple consoles and a PC the Switch is were you draw the line now, alot of gamers seem to think that way, hmm most curious 🤭

Nintendo isn't perfect but this silly anti consumer nonsense only because you can't play all your favorite games on other companies systems is a joke and completely disregards all the hard work they been doing this generation to make the Switch stand out among the competition, they CAN put all their games on PC if they want to, also on PlayStation and Xbox, nobody is stoping them, or they can also simply not do it, its their content and right.
I Own a switch.......if I'm spending my money I worked hard for I get to have an opinion, I draw the line at Nintendo cause they are the only ones not making an attempt to make their games more accessible, it's ok for you to not like having options but I will always champion that cause, also Wii u games getting a second wind is cool and all but allowing those who already own the game to play it on their new switch wouldn't kill anybody. Well some years down the line this won't even be an issue anymore so I'll wait and pick and choose what I buy, like I have always done.

Swift_Star

Banned
There’s no such thing as anti consumerism lol. Why do you people keep bringing this up? They’re companies and they’re making what they can to make money.

Wunray

There’s no such thing as anti consumerism lol. Why do you people keep bringing this up? They’re companies and they’re making what they can to make money.
Because it's our money that they want.....so I will have an opinion on this as many has had before me and like I keep saying this exclusive to whatever console will be a thing of the past eventually.

Swift_Star

Banned
Because it's our money that they want.....so I will have an opinion on this as many has had before me and like I keep saying this exclusive to whatever console will be a thing of the past eventually.
Anti consumerism is still not a thing, regardless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom