• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Wishlist For The Elder Scrolls 6?

justjim89

Obviously, there are the obligatory things like "a new engine that actually works!" or "not forcing Creation Club as the only modding options!" that come with basically any talk of future Bethesda RPG's. But I'm trying to come from a relatively non-cynical standpoint. I know we likely won't see until sometime in the 2020's with Starfield or whatever it ends up being called coming next, and then even something after that potentially. But The Elder Scrolls is by far my favorite Bethesda series, so I'm more or less looking past those at this point to try and imagine what it'll be like when we next visit Tamriel.

Where would you want it to take place?

What you want the focal point of the story to be?

What factions would you want to see?

What are mechanics you'd like to see introduced/improved/scrapped?

Just whatever you hope to see from it. For me personally, I'd love to see it take place in Valenwood. The lore about the home of the Bosmer always makes it sound really fascinating and alien, not unlike Morrowind in that respect. It would definitely take some impressive technology to actually depict in-game the giant wandering tree cities that are often mentioned, and it's easy to imagine Bethesda either half-assing it or retconning it entirely much like the jungle of Cyrodiil. But it has some great potential for a unique setting. But honestly I just want the setting to be somewhere more interesting than your generic fantasy trappings, i.e. mostly white people, mostly familiar terrain. There are so many cool places in Tamriel that we haven't seen much of if at all. Summerset Isles, Black Marsh, Hammerfell, Elsweyr, etc.

I expect the story to be a follow up to the Thalmor-Imperial struggle as seen in Skyrim, with a war between Imperials and High Elves almost certainly being a plotpoint. But it could be a total change of pace instead, especially with all the time that's passed since Skyrim.

I didn't mind the more open-ended and streamlined character building of Skyrim, and I certainly don't expect it to go back to the class system of the older games, but I just hope it doesn't get watered down any more. They could learn more than a few things from the lukewarm reception Fallout 4 got in many circles, especially in regards to its failings as an RPG.

A system I'd definitely like to see some revisions to is the crafting and armor system. If you wanted decent gear in Skyrim, you had to know smithing and you had to know enchanting. Why? There are vendors right there that are presumably skilled in their craft. I should be able to provide a smith with the materials for ebony gear and pay a hefty price for them to make it for me. I should be able to pay an enchanter to put super strong enchantments on my gear. That way every build doesn't have to dedicate points or perks or whatever to being part craftsman.

I honestly think they could take some notes from Elder Scrolls Online in terms of how armor works. Instead of just having tiers based on material, there should also be different styles. Iron Orcish gear. Ebony Imperial gear. Leather Fighter's Guild armor. That way it doesn't feel like the whole game consists of the same 10 sets of armor and it introduces a lot more variety. Having all the additional pieces ESO adds would be nice too.

That's just some brainstorming on the matter from me. What do y'all wanna see?

Kyoufu

I'd like to see an overhaul in the combat system, but that probably won't happen. I imagine Skyrim's popularity was partially due to its simplicity.

JoeBoy101

If its Hammerfell, I want sailing mechanics and a proper underwater environment.

But personally, I'd love to have Elswyr or the Black Marsh.

cackhyena

Let me climb a lot more stuff with a thiefy class. I was saying this before Breath of the Wild was a thing and I'll keep saying it.

g11

Good combat. More variety to locations (more like Oblivion than Skyrim). Better main quest; BethSoft kind of suck at those.

jettpack

Bring back spellcrafting.
Yeah I remember really enjoying it in oblivion. Especially if you get some sort of say on what vfx are attached to your spell. I want to melt people and have amazing green volumetric smoke come off Of them....

Let me climb a lot more stuff with a thiefy class. I was saying this before Breath of the Wild was a thing and I'll keep saying it.

Yeah I would love for them to expand traversal as a skill for the thief class in general. More jumping and mantling with vertical level level design to take advantage off. Would be a really great way to expand player expression for different classes. A little dishonored inspired without blink I guess.

hydruxo

Overhauled combat would be nice. Otherwise I was pretty happy with Skyrim as a whole so just more of that, really.

It's hard for me to say what I would like because I haven't had the opportunity to play any of the Elder Scrolls games other then being petty and requesting a dumb down Switch release version.

While I can't say I have a wish list but from the criticism I read on this and other forums maybe a improved way of telling their story and better plot I guess.(?) I am really interested in seeing how the war between the Thalmor and Imperials ends.

I'll bookmark this thread and come back after I beat the Switch version when it's released.

On another note

I've been watching lore videos of the Elder Scrolls history leading up the Skyrim Switch and it's pretty hype learning about the history of Tamerial.

Edit: ooohhhh!!! Improved 3rd person would be on my wish list.

Kal-El814

My top 3:

Bring back spellcrafting.

Bring back levitation.

Expand on the base / town building from mods / Fallout 4.

A new engine that isn't terrible, significantly better combat, better quests with the possibility to remove map markers and still be able to realistically do them, more area/dungeon variety, more enemy variety, actual cities, a return to deeper RPG elements.

None of these will happen.

Jaraghan

I know it's a staple of Bethesda games, but I'd like to play as a "nobody". A random person who is insignificant in the entire world. I don't want to be another chosen one.

I would like to see a lot of the cool things from Daggerfall that we haven't seen since like:

• Being able to take out loans
  • Climbing
  • Wagons to carry stuff
  • Being able to buy lots of other stuff like boats
  • Being able to argue your way out of crimes if you have a high enough speech

Syraxith

Bring back levitation.
Cities/towns that have a believable scale (in fact open cities, no more loading screens)
Spell crafting
Better designed quests (choice and consequence)
Believable characters
Skyrim dungeons were good, keep that up.
Reworked melee combat
Every container can be looted, (almost) every object can be taken ala Morrowind.

sungahymn

Neo Member
I've always been hoping that VI would take place on Summerset Isle. Gimme that High Elven systematic racism in all its decadent glory for me to smash a mace at.

bitbydeath

-Easier way to transport goods (horse and cart?)

-Treasure, real treasure like Morrowwind, I want to find awful and amazingly powered weapons, don’t base it on my level, that is BS.

-Local co-op

BouncyFrag

Each town/village has its own set of voice actors who say different things than everybody else in the game.

Keep mods on the Xbone ala Skyrim special edition. Hopefully the ps4 can get on board with this.

I'm sure it's a given, but keep Jeremy Soule as the composer.

Piers

Yeah, some continuation of the Thalmor would be good. It felt like a dangling carrot in Skyrim, in a good way.

But not sure, really. It’s a minor thing but I would love to see if they could improve on the believability of forests; Kingdom Come Deliverance did an AMAZING job at rendering a believable canopy. Something that bums me out is that games are (understandably) content on just plopping a bunch of trees in close proximity and calling that a woodland. The feel beneath the trees is really important, too, but likely too taxing on hardware to get right.

Attributes.

Compass and/or minimap. Not just a compass.

Meaningful quests and NPC AI where characters remember your deeds and treat you differently.

Immersion to ensure gamers have agency in the world and arent just interlopers.

Good enchanting that isn't gimped or pathetic.

No multiplayer of any kind, co op or otherwise.

Good mod support and great monetized Creation Club DLC.

Adding more than taking away, evolving the formula, and pushing it to new heights.

The ability to feel lost and overwhelmed by the world, not with the amount of fetch quests or gathering.

And finally, having to pay attention and think rather than soaking time into something to be good.

No mention of loot boxes yet?

I'm sorry.

lootboxes from the creation club

Crap, beaten.

Oh, things we don't want to see.

Not that I want to give them ideas, but loot boxes as a way of distributing small pieces of content might not be completely terrible. If they want to push paid mods through Creation Club (and I bet they do), maybe take the Dota 2 model and wrap up small cosmetics into loot boxes, with the modders getting a cut.

Still, I don't think loot boxes really work for single-player oriented games for several reasons.

--------------------------

In actuality, some things I'd like to see are:

• Some form of co-op play
  • More impactful seasons/weather
  • Better/deeper combat
  • Improved crafting system that can't be gamed as easily
  • Exotic/interesting location(s)

Though I don't mind having a sci-fi game in the same vein beforehand with the rumored Starfield IP.

LordRaptor

• A main quest that doesn't actively punish you for starting it by continously spawning shit all over the planet everywhere you go messing with whatever side stuff you're doing
  • A thieves guild that only respects 'ghost' play - not being seen, not killing people. Not just rocking into an area strapped up for combat and murdering the shit out of everyone
  • third person walking animations that don't look like you're skating on ice
  • dungeons that don't all look identikit and don't feel like you're basically walking a big loop with that lever at the end opening the door that leads out
  • A UI designed for the PC for the PC version that lets you do shit like drag + drop or mouse select, and doesnt use font and icons that take up 20% of the screen

Stiler

Completely new animators/writers to make a good story and good fluid combat/gameplay.

Bring in some talent to the dev team and stop juts relying on every random dev to throw in story elements that end up being cliched to hell or not interesting and plz, good animations.

I mean, there's legit no other AAA dev studio that I know of literally has deep deep pockets yet still refuses to update their engine/animation.

Which to me sucks because when Morrowind came out it was legit a GREAT looking/playing game for it's time, it didn't "feel/look" old at all, but lately Bethesda rpgs always feel like they are years behind when it comes to the animation/graphical side of things.

Also I'd love to see more "openness" to the story and how you can do things. Where it's not simply a mostly linear story progression but more obranching paths and ways that you can choose to unfold it depending on choices you make.

As far as combat goes, complete overhaul, especially for melee. Look at games like Dark Souls/Severance, etc, that's fun and engaging melee combat. Mount and Blade has some great range combat for bows/crossbows.

For magic, think of more variety in spells, not all combat related but more "rpg" related, out of combat hings, tricks, etc would be nice.

I'd like them to choose a specific direction and go in on it. Imagine if TES6 was a better action game with improved combat, dungeon design, and looting. I'd totally be ok with less focus on the rpg side if the moment to moment gameplay was just fun. On the other hand I'd put up with Bethesda's jank if we got a larger focus on quest design, npc interactions, better towns, and better rpg mechanics. Right now Bethesda is doing neither particularly well and I don't think I can muster up any excitement if the next game is gong to be just the same old, same old.

-Choice and consequence, what you do in the game has tangible effects
-Meaningful companions+quests
-No voiced protagonist
-Blank slate protagonist
-Weapon durability, spell crafting
-Skill requirements for joining factions, no joining Mage's Guild if you're bad at magic, etc.
-Hire dedicated writing team, make real efforts to improve (Larian did this and the story improved lots, heard the first D:OS story was dumb, 2 fixed all that), don't let Emil Pagliarulo anywhere near the writing
-Dynamic seasons, weather changes based on date

VeeP

No more damn snow

Dynamic weather or seasons would be pretty awesome tbh. Going to a location where it's snowy, and then coming back later and there's no snow, then coming back later and leaves are falling, etc. Something like that would be awesome.

Top Bottom