• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Wishlist For The Elder Scrolls 6?

gogosox82

Better melee combat. The melee combat is just garbage. Make it better with different fighting styles and have it have actual feed back.

Better magic system. Late game, magic was useless in Skyrim. The master level spells were garbage and not worth it for the most part. Bring in more spells and make them good throughout the game at all levels and don't have magic basically be useless late game. Also, bring back creating spells.

Skill checks for joining guilds. I shouldn't be able to join the mages guild without being a mage etc.

Better dialogue and questing BUT NO VOICED MAIN PROTAGONIST PLEASE.

If its Hammerfell, I want sailing mechanics and a proper underwater environment.

But personally, I'd love to have Elswyr or the Black Marsh.

Biggest wish is they don't put in a voiced protagonist.

Other than that I hope it's in Black Marsh and I wanna fly.

You guys do realize that Black Marsh is basically inhabitable by anyone with isn't an argonian right?

More physical interactions with NPCs would add a lot of immersion. A handshake, a hug, or being able to pick them up and throw them off a cliff like in dragon's dogma.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
give it the same jump from 5 to 6 as there was from oblivion to skyrim. that's all i want

inner-G

Banned
I hope it’s set in Valenwood because I always like the Bosmer, plus the setting would also be a cool difference from the more recent games.

More verticality like TES 3 (ideally more than Morrowind, but any increase is better than Skyrim.
Continue to iterate on the improvements made in Skyrim such as less separation of internal and external cells, more world-changing decision making, more personality to followers.

GLAMr

Reverse the dumbing down for consoles which occurred in Oblivion and Skyrim. Bring back attributes so I can max out athletics and acrobatics so I can jump onto buildings and run along the rooftops.

I want it to take place in one of the provinces where the animal people are from. My preference would be Black Marsh. I want the plotline to follow the HIST. (Sentient trees). And i want to see talking giant animal godlike beings who have come to blows with the human and elf races. A plotline similar to Princess Mononoke. What do you guys think? I want to see once peaceful beings of nature angry at the humans, elves, aedra, and daedra.
That would work really well at adding originality to the lore and really only depends on the scale of gameplay and how much they can increase that within engine constraints. I hate to be on the "make a new engine" bandwagon, but...

Speely

Banned
Game stuff:

Reverse the dumbed-down streamlined mechanics crap. Give us attributes and tons of variables to build specific characters along a diverse spectrum.

No level scaling at all. Enemies are what they are. Items too. Danger. Risk. Reward.

Steal some combat ideas from games like Dragon's Dogma. Make melee feel awesome.

Setting stuff:

Elsweyr for the province. Deserts and jungles! Would be a fine showcase of a new engine (hint, hint.) Vaermina for the big bad, complete with a variation of the Oblivion Gate feature that instead intrudes upon the real world by Quagmire manifesting and turning areas into ever-shifting nightmares and dreams. Make shifting between these realities a core game mechanic.

Plus Vaermina is a badass Daedric Prince. They deserve a go.

Oh, and your character isn't some chosen one. They are merely one of a select few who are able to navigate Quagmire and its intrusions with any consistency. Given that, the game should have a co-op mode, both online and local. For fuck's sake.

That's my go at it ;)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Better melee combat and better and more elaborate quests and less fetch quests (Oblivion was great in terms of quests).

Otherwise just keep naturally expanding on Skyrim.

gblues

Banned
Combat that doesn’t suck.
Hire Michael Kirkbride back to write the story.
Avoid the errors made in Fallout 4 (voiced protag, dialog, quest design focused on combat loop).

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on board for TES VI whatever happens, but there are a couple of things I hope not to see.

Base building along the lines of Fallout 4. None of that. Hearthfire was fine, but no further. I'd really rather have proper towns and cities with NPCs I can get to know, who have quests and stuff for me. I don't think this is a "why not both?" situation at all.

A voiced protagonist. I don't see this happening anyway, but it bears repeating. Don't do it guys!!!

No micro-transactions or loot boxes or any of that rubbish in the game. We'll see how the Creation Club situation plays out, but I would hope it would be more about supporting those brilliant Mods and their creators, rather than some cheap penny-pinching exercise. Time will tell.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The obvious stuff has been said, but it doesn't seem obvious to Bethesda given Fallout 4. The obvious ones being melee combat and following in Fallout 4's footsteps for various things. The voiced protagonist is definitely the point at which they went too far and I hope they don't ever do that again. It pisses all over role playing, which Skyrim actually had me doing.

A new engine at this point seems to be a necessity, although I worry about how they would limit modders should they make something new. In this age of the Steam controller and high frame rate gaming, Bethesda games are way behind the times in terms of support for over 60fps and dual inputs. Don't forget different aspect ratios.

I'd be in for having no compass and having to follow quest descriptions or NPC explanations to find your goal.

Have each copy come with a paper map you can mark things on.

Xe4

Banned
Fix the melee combat. Seriously, I'm usually not picky about this kind of stuff, but it was practically unplayable it was so bad. Just toss out the shit system you have and start over.

Make cities actually look like fucking cities. Whiterun, supposedly the biggest city in all of Skyrim was barely bigger than a small town. Not every city needs to be of note, but 1-2 being semi large would be nice. Even a quarter the size and scope of scope of something like Novigrad would be a huge improvement over what is there currently.

Get rid of loading screens as much as possible. Seriously, it's annoying and completely breaks my immersion. I would much rather wait a full ten minutes every time I died than 2-3 every time I enter a fucking house. If that means cutting object permanence, so be it. That's a pretty useless feature anyhow, IMO.

Get rid of grinding for skills. Having a character progress in skills by doing them is ok for stuff like stealth and lockpicking and combat and stuff is fine. Keep that in if you want. But it makes the game horribly boring for alchemy and smithing and the like. Maybe do a halfway, where doing stuff upgrades your generic level and then you can spend points of that generic level on whatever.

Fix your buggy ass game engine. Just build a new one really, it's causing your games far more trouble and would improve the experience tons by upgrading it.

Please, please, please no voiced character. Having no voice in Skyrim was far better than a voiced character in Fallout 4. I know devs think it makes their game better, but 99% of the time it doesn't (the exception are with characters with a set personality already like in the Witcher).

That's the stuff I think need improving the most. As for what the story is? I don't care. Just make it better than Skyrim's, which was super anti-climatic. I don't really care where it is, but somewhere different than what's been done before. I'd personally prefer Hammerfell or Elsweyr, because I'm a sucker for desert areas, but whatever. I just don't want it to be some temperate/snowy forest-y area like in other games.

You guys do realize that Black Marsh is basically inhabitable by anyone with isn't an argonian right?

You mean inhospitable. Inhabitable means it is possible to be a habitat. English is wierd, lol.
Anyhow, it's very difficult to live in but I'm sure they could find a reason to get player characters of other races in the Black Marshes, even if the inhabitants are mostly Argonian.

Shotpun

- More believable characters, especially followers could use some depth
- Bring back first person view for horse riding
- Engine that doesn't soil itself if FPS goes beyond 60 would be nice
- If they want to keep the settlement builder thingy from Fallout 4, for the love of god don't crush quality over quantity like in FO4. WAY less settlemets, like three in the entire world would be enough, but with more depth put into them.
- Green lush forests back, I get to see grayness and whiteness enough where I live
- No voiced PC
- No bullet sponge enemies
- No random loot drops like in FO4, as in I don't want to find a greataxe from a crab
- Sensible survival mode, having to drink and eat every five minutes is stupid and annoying as fuck

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'd be in for having no compass and having to follow quest descriptions or NPC explanations to find your goal.

Have each copy come with a paper map you can mark things on.
There's no way that they would put that in and slaughter their sales numbers. Things like that are mod only from this point onwards, and I'm glad about that. As we get more space, towns, and NPCs it becomes harder to track individuals, and my free time is far too limited to want to do it like that these days.

poodaddy

Dynamic weather or seasons would be pretty awesome tbh. Going to a location where it's snowy, and then coming back later and there's no snow, then coming back later and leaves are falling, etc. Something like that would be awesome.

This. I've thought of this so many times for so many different games, and it's really my biggest problem with free roaming sandbox type games. If the world felt more genuinely alive and susceptible to time, it could be that much more enveloping to explore in. The Witcher 3 could have really benefited from this as well.

Truant

No "main quest". Embrace the sandbox nature of the game, and let the player decide what's important. Have the radiant quest and AI system create events and stories around the player and what he does / what his character is (a variation of the Nemesis system comes to mind). Also, make it so that the player sometimes won't be the center of the universe (Oblivion tried this to varying success).

Fynriel

Banned
All I want is memorable side-quests and faction questlines. Like jumping into a painting or sleeping in an inn only yo find yourself waking up on the open sea or becoming part of a family of murderers only to to then be ordered to murder them all. Side-quests in contemporary games are awfully trite.

Azoor

Here is my wishlist:

-Bring spellcrafting back and let us go wild with experiments. Skyrim was lacking in spells variety and many people like me resorted to installing mods with more spells to choose from.

-Have a more in-depth perk system, I don't mind then not bringing classes back, but we need more in-depth perks like what we had in New Vegas.

-There have been a lot of first-person sandbox games with far better combat than Skyrim, have proper hit detection, combos and have different types of weapons have varied different attack combos and maybe even some wind-ups that we should take into consideration, maybe some kind of a parry and punishing system kinda like what Dark Souls/ BOTW do.

-Embrace the crafting craze and let us craft anything we hand to craft, I know Skyrim kinda had this, but I want them to expand more on it.

Basically that the wait for it won't be so long that I'll be grey and old really to be honest, haha. It's very unfortunate we have to wait so long for a new one.

cdyhybrid

Better engine

Better combat - locational damage/effects would be neat but that's probably asking for too much

Black Marsh or Elsweyr or Valenwood or Hammerfell

Better ways to interact with terrain - BOTW style climbing, etc.

- Actual choice & consequence. Don't be afraid to lock content from the players.

- Don't outsource the writing to the local zoo.

- Let's go to Elsweyr.

Change up the combat.

Granted, it's probably not going to be easy. I actually can't think of another non Bethesda game that has the interactivity [for example being able to pick-up and move literally everything] and sandbox openness of Bethesda games yet still has good action RPG combat. Maybe their focuses when designing their games is elsewhere.

I feel like the series has pretty much stagnated since Morrowind, so I wouldn't be opposed to introducing big changes. I propose going full Gulliver's Travels. Tiny people, huge people, flying islands, cucumber-based energy systems, philosopher ghosts, immortals, and horse-furries. See if that can spice things up again.

vesirott

Neo Member
I dont even care about the main quest or cities or dungeons etc. But ffs, the basic things like controls, RPG elements and combat mechancis NEED TO BE GOOD. And I mean seriously god level good. Combat for example has been utter fucking bollocks for multiple iterations already (see dragons dogma combat for inspiration). Also, dat fuckin gamebryo engine NEEDS TO DIE.

Ofc. none of this matters because BethSoft will never make anything tighter, only looser. I suspect ES6 will be basically a walking simulator.

Bunga

Just better combat. Not necessarily more complicated as I think that attributed to Skyrim's success (so I doubt we'll see a drastic shake up) but just more feedback, something a little more tactical in terms of hand to hand combat in particular.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Split up armor pieces some more. Back to Morrowind levels (if not Daggerfall, heeh). Would help diversify character appearances.

Make it so the beast race character's tails don't obviously clip through chairs. They had an animation for that in Oblivion. It was nowhere to be found in Skyrim.

No voiced protagonist.

More sandboxy NPC interaction, even if it results in an I HAVE NO GREETING here or there.

Long, epic guild questlines with various distinct phases (think joining the mages guild in Oblivion to getting admission to the arcane university to stopping Mannimarco, or moving from town to town in the thieves guild.)

More types of marksman weapons (crossbow, throwing knives, etc.), and more attack types per weapon (think volleys, stacked arrows, etc.)

Restructure melee combat so that your light attack has a specific combo string that can be interwoven with more specialized or powerful attacks. Ape Dragon's Dogma is what I'm saying. And give it some weight, for godssake. I don't want to be stuck waving my sword left and right over and over again, nor do I want to have to be walking in a weird direction to do a special attack.

Improve mobility and traversal tools. Being able to scale ledges (think Battlefield 1 or... again, Dragon's Dogma) would be really nice. Maybe bring back movement-based skills, like Athletics or Acrobatics.

Going back to restructuring the combat, diversify weapon types more. I don't want the only difference between an axe, sword, or mace to be some unseen statistical bonus. Give them different attack strings and special attacks, ones that make sense and play to the strengths of each.

Speaking of weapons, how about polearms, rapiers, distinctly short and long swords, wakizashis, scimitars, flails, combat staves, and sassy whips?

- Greenery.
- Towns that actually have a purpose aside from starting quests.
- Quests that have moral choices.
- Quests for bad characters that aren't being a thief or being a murderer for hire.
- Magic that actually feels/looks powerful.
- Non combat skills having a purpose.
- Structure the world in a way that doesn't make me want to just Skyrim my way up the side of steep cliffs.
- Drop the "You're the all powerful chosen one savior and everyone must worship you" setup

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Nothing specific that hasn't already been mentioned, what I really want is for it to give The Witcher 3 a run for it's money. Fallout 4 released 5 months after TW3 and made Bethesda look like amateurs.

Widge

Keep the "building" aspects of the game watered down like in Skyrim. The settler stuff in Fallout 4 was a huge turn off, and I don't like to have a large gameplay mechanic that I want to engage in being shut behind a huge timesink.

NPC's. Can these be made interesting yet? I feel like the actual humans/creatures of these games are the most underdeveloped part of the game. Big, empty mannequins.

I echo combat. I spend most of my time thrashing away and then running away to use 4,000 healing items, then back to thrashing. Magic as a learning path always feels underpowered too. I'm there using whatever basic items I am given to magic with, running out of mana and having to resort to weapons.

Wulfram

Mainly they need to work on the scaling. The mechanics of Skyrim were generally good at at least some point during the game, but they either started OP and got rubbish or they started weak and got OP

It was super basic though. You just push forward against a flat surface for a few seconds and then your character would levitate straight up.

And then you'd clip through the wall and fall into an endless black void

Mephala

1. Step away from generic familiarity and embrace the fantasy and variety that this universe can offer
  2. Better traversal options. It doesn't need to be horses and fast travel. We had Jump spells, levitation, teleportation and such. Give us more to options that are meaningful to travelling.
  3. Better combat AI. I honestly don't need to see NPCs drifting around towns talking inconsequential gossip for most the game.
  4. Companions should be few but meaningful.
  5. Classes should have meanng and offer gameplay variety.
  6. Different weapon types should have different animations and properties.
  7. Better character creator
  8. QoL feature to address encumbrance.
  9. Better writing.
  10. Quickstart option. Eliminates beginning segment, goes straight from character creator to simple checking out at random city inn.
  11. Smaller base land mass but with more vertical exploration and perhaps more significant changes to locations over time.
  12. better difficulty options and implementation.

Top Bottom