• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did sports games become so boing?

Tschumi

For me it was about 2001. Fifa 2001 German demo had flags and stewards in the animated crowds and it blew my little mind, and i lived the dream for the next 15ish years.

SSfox

@Danjin44 SSfox SSfox

You guys got me changing my avatar too :messenger_grinning_smiling:

After so many years. It's time. Gotta show love for the franchise.

Legit I got into the moods and replay the game each 4 years during soccer world cup (only thing i watch when it comes to soccer)

This game has something so special you don't feel often in other games based on existing animes, you really feel the devs that made it were super passionate about the anime.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TLZ

Fredrik

I think you answered your own question. Too much realism. Only a certain group of gamers are dedicated enough to the real thing to enjoy a good and slow simulator. Same as with racing, there needs to an arcade genre as well. Microsoft had Forza Motsport, a nice racing IP mostly grounded in realism, then they simply removed some realism and added more arcade elements and got Forza Horizon which is (imo) a more enjoyable game.

jigglet

Banned
I agree.

I'm not a sports guy, but I used to enjoy stuff like NFL Blitz and NBA Jam.

Now? I don't play any sports games at all, aside from the occasional golf game.

The variety has gone.

There's a lack of slugfests, virtua tennis and NBA jams in the modern age. Why can't devs make something like "Slamdunk hotshots: 3-point edition 2022" or "homerun league 2022" anymore? The most recent one I've heard of is NBA2k playgrounds 2, but it didn't fare too well due to how microtransaction ridden it was as far as I understand.

2250fbadef6245e23d5a0bd50cd9204b28117276.jpg

Would be great to see developers make those hilarious over-the-top sports games where a ball is on fire when thrown/kicked or something. I'm actually surprised this idea has kind of fizzled out. Someone has to pick up the mantle.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
People will just continue to buy them... I swear if they literally copy-pasted a game for the next year people would probably be happier that the devs didn't break something from the previous iteration.

Also only sports game I've really ever enjoyed

2z0fcNy.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’d say late 6th gen / early 7th.

It was the transition from 16 bit to 32 bit systems. Thats when developers had access ro enough power for graphics and "realism" to become ends in themselves over gameplay.
Nah, early 32 bit was cool ‘cuz you got awesome (for the time) graphics with gameplay still very much rooted in arcade. And you still had some spectacular bugs that made everything funnier. FIFA ‘97 was a bad game, but it was so buggy I still remember some stuff from it (incidentally, the last FIFA game I bought until I got a very discounted FIFA for Switch just to see where the series is at these days). And Konami’s soccer was awesome on both PS1 and N64.

Sadly people these days want a lot of intricacies in the gameplay to make things more “real”, and licenses is where it’s at. It’d be impossible for aficionados of these games to go back to something graphically simpler and more arcadey. Shame, ‘cause nothing will ever be as fun as those crude 8- and 16-bit sports games, and the nice balance of the early 3D efforts is gone.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wish games would improve other aspects as much as visuals and art.
Its frustrating that you cant break some plastic shelving with a shot gun. Or you act crazy in a bar or shop and the citizens dont care or act unnatural. Or you cant break into a building, or theres some artificial barriar.

I would love an open world game that is a town on a island which is 1km², but you can do all these things and the people dont act like pre canned puppets.

RDR2 improved these aspects, but we still have so far to go.

Just curious, but how many of you who think sports games are boring are actually sports fans? I love sports and enjoy the fact that sports games are becoming more and more realistic as time progresses.

CitizenZ

Banned
Have you been watching the real ones? If anything EAs slogan "its in the game" is pretty spot on its boring and unwatchable just like IRL

Ribi

You think they weren’t copying and pasting code a lot in those days?
Well its around this time other games stopped being produced. 2k football, NBA jam, more arcade style games that required artistic input with concepts that weren't just make it as real as possible. You know things that required something more than copy paste.

We need the backyard games, street, and Blitz. The recent golf games are OK. Need to play the new Mario Golf. I'm one of the people who asked for it but haven't bought it yet.

Dthomp

Others have said it, but for me it came down to 2 things that killed most of my sports interest. I went from a youth that bought Madden, MVP Baseball, NBA Live/2k, Hockey every year and played the hell out of them to only buying MLB the Show each year (And I may leave that behind too thanks to point #2 below).

1. Realism. While it sounds like a great idea, it's boring. You need different things. NBA was great when you had Live/2k for sims, NBA Street and Jam for arcade.

2. MICRO TRANSACTIONS. It's not that they exist, it's that they put no effort anymore into anything but them. MLB yearly feels more and more like Fifa and Madden where the next pack release in 3 days every week is more important then fixing gameplay issues or trash servers, because who cares NEW SHINY PLAYER with a 5% pull rate chance. Buy it up!

ReBurn

Gold Member
I agree.

I'm not a sports guy, but I used to enjoy stuff like NFL Blitz and NBA Jam.

Now? I don't play any sports games at all, aside from the occasional golf game.

The variety has gone.
NBA Jam was pure arcade fun posing like a sports game. I played the SNES version so much I wore out a controller.

Teslerum

People here are talking about realism when that isn't the problem at all. If anything the mid-2000's still has plenty of sport titles that are more realistic than whatever comes out today which is scripted and predictable to high heaven.

So, no that isn't the issue. What IS the issue gameplay wise is that most sport titles are in a dead zone between realistic and arcade, satisfying neither audience. Combine that with a severe lack of content in favour of microtransaction shit and there you have it.

Last edited:

tusharngf

I generally dont enjoy sports and even watching it bores me, let alone sports in video games.

The only one I played was Capitan Tsubasa in NES.
artworks-000123810884-2ftcs6-t500x500.jpg
i remember getting this games cartridge but it was all in japanese. Had to return to the shop and got it replaced with mario3..

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I play ps1/2 Pes/Winning eleven games time to time, especially with japanese commentator. And Captain Tsubasa 2 is one of the best games i've ever played(with japanese text). I can recommend Tsubasa 1 and 5 too.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I’d say late 6th gen / early 7th.

Nah, early 32 bit was cool ‘cuz you got awesome (for the time) graphics with gameplay still very much rooted in arcade. And you still had some spectacular bugs that made everything funnier. FIFA ‘97 was a bad game, but it was so buggy I still remember some stuff from it (incidentally, the last FIFA game I bought until I got a very discounted FIFA for Switch just to see where the series is at these days). And Konami’s soccer was awesome on both PS1 and N64.

Sadly people these days want a lot of intricacies in the gameplay to make things more “real”, and licenses is where it’s at. It’d be impossible for aficionados of these games to go back to something graphically simpler and more arcadey. Shame, ‘cause nothing will ever be as fun as those crude 8- and 16-bit sports games, and the nice balance of the early 3D efforts is gone.

There are exceptions in the 32 bit era, but that is when the shift started. As late as FIFA '99 you could just make your winger do a 360 and score almost every time. You could do ridiculous spin moves in Gameday '98 to score TDs too. But eventually realism trumped arcade-based fun as the main goal. I bet most of the programmers working on Madden or NBA 2k today have never been in an arcade.

emilegc

Well, I disagree about sport games being boring because of realism. I agree that they're boring now, but they're still far from being realistic. I think that if they were more realistic they'd be a lot more fun. But what happened is that they stopped innovating much. They're just focused in profiting from FUT, VC, and whatever other thing that involves MTX.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Actually really enjoy the one big MLB title we get (The Show), but yes it felt like we use to get actually enjoyable (ssx, nfl street, nba ballers etc.) couple of generations ago. You could see the occasional mario golf, vr sports but it bothers gamers that there's only Madden, MLB, 2K, Fifa and for whatever reason sport games are all about detail. Fun aspect is less than zero.

HTK

Banned
I don't think they are boring because of realism at all. I think they are boring because they simply don't innovate. They seem to be okay with status quo and fans are buying it regardless. I was really hoping to see MADDEN have more real-time physics by now along with pushing small details that make football great. But nope, all the sports games in my opinion are too sterile if that makes sense.

I remember Backbreaker, on all accounts not a good game but man those real time physics made each play feel unique. Backbreaker was more of a glorified demo than anything else but there is so much potential in all of these sports games it's crazy.

Who remembers Athlete Kings on the Sega Saturn?

I used to love that game.

It was a classic button masher in the tradition of the classic Track and Field coin op.

You took part in a ten event Decathlon and it was a real highlight of that console, along with Sega Really and Virtua Fighter.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Still one of the best, you could play with severed heads.. -

an excellent football game, played it to death and I didnt even support them -

Was utterly hooked on Speedball 2 -

Apart from those I found most sports games boring as arse. There was a version of Sensible Soccer where the ball was a grenade but from memory that was only on the cover of an Amiga format magazine at the time..

My lad got me back into football quite a bit over the last couple of years, was a bit hooked on e PES 2021 but Konami screwed that up and the Fifa 22 I bought wasnt too bad, I just hate all that FUT shite

I prefer shooting shit. I like guns. Gimme the guns.

In the past sports games were among the most innovative games but because players write-them off so harshly they don't get their due respect for what they brought to game design.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I prefer sports games realistic with GM options. NBA Jam and NHL 95 were fun in the day but modern sports are so much better.

Bit I’d say they stopped improving a lot by around the 2009-2010 era. That gen needed a few years to get good at 60fps but since then they’ve barely changed in over 10 years aside from better visuals and MTX galore.

But you look at the jumps from generation to generation before that and the improvements were big.

i would rather play the dreamcast versions of NBA 2k...or that one playstation one with Jordan, than any new NBA 2k. The new NBA 2ks aren't good and that crappy NBA Live from years back thats on EA play is better than 2k.

Madden 2007 is better than any modern Madden.

MVP Baseball 2005 is WAY better than any of these The Show games.

WWE 2k14 is better than the last couple WWE games. UFC games were better like 2 generations ago. There hasn't been a boxing game in forever.
Golf and tennis games are still good i guess?

REDRZA MWS

I remember back when both arcade and simulation sports games were fun. Now I guess they're meant to be "realistic" - which just means they're slow and boring. I even tried the newest MLB The Show game on GamePass and it's nowhere near as fun as MVP Baseball 2005 on the original Xbox is. The new Madden games don't even feel as good as the Maddens from that era. The NBA 2K Dreamcast games are way more fun than the newest 2K microtransaction filled crap Even the presentation, menus, etc. of new sports games are so boring. It doesn't help that we basically don't get any arcade sports games anymore expect in the case of the occasional low budget indie title that basically has no replay value or features. I also miss when we had competition. Back in the day you could buy Madden, NFL 2K, NFL Fever, NFL Gameday, and NFL Blitz in the same year and they all felt different and tried to outdo each other. Now you get one publisher releasing one game per league and they put no effort in improving it from year to year because I guess they don't have any reason to do so.

Even the "sports entertainment" 2K WWE games became slow, generic, and boring compared to the old Smackdown games...
Nah. I much prefer simulation style sports games. To me, the problem became when competition ended. When 2k couldn’t make NFL games, when EA stopped trying with NBA Live and let 2k go without competition. I was an OG MWS (Madden Workd Syndicate) competitive gamer. I traveled the country before “esports” was a thing. The only sports game I play religiously anymore is MLB the Show (even though there is no comp, it’s the only baseball game on the market but it’s great year in year out imo). I mean even NHL sucks and is stagnant because there are no other options. Competition needs to come back to the genre.

shiru

Banned
When realism above all else became the primary concern I suppose. Not a fan of sports at alI but I still enjoyed to play some ISSS on the snes and other non-silly sports titles. Also loved NBA Jam and Looney Tunes B-Ball. And of course the AKI N64 wrestling games, which are still unsurpassed.

Top Bottom