• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think Nintendo will release the true Switch successor?

I'm thinking about buying Nintendo Switch OLED. It will be my first Nintendo system ever. But before buying and investing too much into the system, I'd like to know what's the general consensus here when the Switch true successor will be released.

I have done some research, I think it will be 2023-2024

Argument for 2023: 2022 is packed for Nintendo exclusives, but 2023 looks empty (or we don't have any visibility yet).

Argument for 2024: Switch is still very popular, it's outpacing PS4 sales. And other popular Nintendo system, they had 7-9 years lifespan ( DS had 9 years lifespan) So why would Nintendo release a new system so soon, and basically there's no pressure to do, their rivals have moved on to the next generation, and yet Switch is still selling. 2023 Nintendo may release some different colors of Switch OLED. When I look at OLED options, I see the plain generic white color, and the ugly, HORRENDOUS red/blue neon. I hope they release more interesting colors like gold, platinum or rose gold

So what do you guys think? when will the true Switch successor be released? 2023 vs 2024? or maybe even later....

Fbh

I think it depens if they'll release an enhanced Switch or jump straight to a successor.

I could see an enhanced Switch in 2023 and a true successor in 2025. They need to find a way to make it different enough to justify selling you Mario Kart 8 for $60 and Smash Ultimate Complete edition for $120 again.

Last edited:

lachesis

I think it will come next year - 2022.

Nintendo just cannot wait until the sales start to lag - they really don't have anything to really fall back on as they are not doing the "portable" and "console" separate strategy - and they must keep the momentum strong.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Install base is massive, plenty of games coming, even if there is a successor.

Also: Get a Steam Deck instead.

Chastten

Banned
I'm personally guessing it'll be a Spring 2023 release. Switch is still on fire but who knows for how long still? I really hope they learned from the Wii U disaster and don't wait too long until momentum is gone.

Releasing Switch 2 with better graphics and battery life, but fully backwards compatible with all the Switch games and peripherals could keep momentum going for years to come.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm personally guessing it'll be a Spring 2023 release. Switch is still on fire but who knows for how long still? I really hope they learned from the Wii U disaster and don't wait too long until momentum is gone.

Releasing Switch 2 with better graphics and battery life, but fully backwards compatible with all the Switch games and peripherals could keep momentum going for years to come.
They announced botw 2 for 2022, probably November. I don't think they would waste that opportunity to launch a new gen switch a few months later.

carlosrox

Banned
23 or 24 I think.

I'm thinking about buying Nintendo Switch OLED. It will be my first Nintendo system ever.

Jesus Christ I'm jealous of you. The Switch has a fucking ton of amazing games to play and the hybrid aspect of it alone is awesome, but couple that with the ridiculously good looking OLED screen and you're in for a real treat.

Sometimes I think to myself what people new to Nintendo would think of the Switch/OLED.

What games do you plan on getting? Are you getting it mostly for Nintendo games?

Immediate recommendations would be Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Zelda BOTW, and Metroid Dread. Those are excellent examples of the Nintendo trinity.

Last edited:

Woopah

All depends if they market the next hardware as a revision or a successor. I'm leaning towards it being a revision and the successor coming in 2024.

One thing I will say is that 2023 looking empty is the norm. Most Nintendo games are announced and released in under and a year and the vast majority are done in less than 18 months.

23 or 24 I think.

Jesus Christ I'm jealous of you. The Switch has a fucking ton of amazing games to play and the hybrid aspect of it alone is awesome, but couple that with the ridiculously good looking OLED screen and you're in for a real treat.

Sometimes I think to myself what people new to Nintendo would think of the Switch/OLED.

What games do you plan on getting? Are you getting it mostly for Nintendo games?

Immediate recommendations would be Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Zelda BOTW, and Metroid Dread. Those are excellent examples of the Nintendo trinity.

I;ve done research on Switch games too, the ones I want to get:

Nintendo exclusives:
Breath of the Wind (the one game I've been eyeing all this time)
Links Awakening (Never played the original, in fact I never played ANY Zelda game or ANY Nintendo game EVER)
Skyward Sword HD
Super Mario Odyssey
May be a Pokemon game
I hope they remake older Zelda too, like Ocarina of Time, I heard it's the best one

Non-exclusives:
Dark Souls (of course, being a Sony gamer, and huge From Soft fans, I need to have as many versions as I can have)
Dragon's Dogma (played on PS3, again I don't mind playing it again)
Diablo 3

Last edited:

Astral Dog

im guessing 2023,BUT keep in mind Covid has delayed tons of projects, and there will be plenty of cross generation games as well, regardless the current Switch is giving good stuff next year

Chastten

Banned
They announced botw 2 for 2022, probably November. I don't think they would waste that opportunity to launch a new gen switch a few months later.

I can see BotW2 get delayed a few months and be a crossgen title much like Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild were. That way Nintendo would cater to the 100m+ Switch owners, plus have the best possible game for their new hardware.

But, Like I said, that's just my personal guess. Nintendo is gonna Nintendo, so who knows... they might ride the Switch out until 2028 for all we know.

I could see BotW 2 launching with Switch 2 in 2023 or 2024.

They'll be able to coast a while longer with Kirby, maybe another Fire Emblem (we've never had just 1 per system), Splatoon 3, Prime 4, etc. They have a lot honestly.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They'll release a new one when people stop buying the current one.

Trevor Tordjman Reaction GIF by Disney Channel

Kokoloko85

Hmmm. I think When Breath of the Wild 2 comes out as Nintendo do like to bring out a New console when a 2nd Zelda comes out for the console, like Breath of the Wild for Wii u or Twilight Princess for the Gamecube.

If not, I guess 2023/2024, I dont think it will come out later then 2024

I’m thinking late 2024

Edit: More specifically, either November of 2024 or March 2025 is my guess
Good lord I hope not, that would be awful. I think MS and Sony will stop supporting ps4 and x1 by then, so switch will not see any big ports. I really really doubt it will take this long.

And dang it, I want metroid prime 4 on new hardware!

Lognor

Banned
I can see BotW2 get delayed a few months and be a crossgen title much like Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild were. That way Nintendo would cater to the 100m+ Switch owners, plus have the best possible game for their new hardware.

But, Like I said, that's just my personal guess. Nintendo is gonna Nintendo, so who knows... they might ride the Switch out until 2028 for all we know.
I agree with this. They will also have Mario Kart. And they may push Splatoon 3 to launch alongside the Switch 2 also. And Metroid Prime 4? Holy shit. Is this the best launch ever?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Depends on momentum of current Switch.

The Wii U came out 6 years after the Wii. So I'm gonna guess March 2023. Although if the current Switch keeps selling well, it'd be natural to expect a longer cycle.

DrAspirino

Banned
They'll release the "Switch 2" no earlier than 2024. Switch is printing money right now and they'll obviously ride that wave until the very end.

Now, regarding BoTW 2, remember that this is a sequel directly tied to BoTW, so it wouldn't be like other Zeldas. If anything, the closest comparison would be Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (OoT direct sequel), both being released for the Nintendo 64.

Aldric

I'm thinking about buying Nintendo Switch OLED. It will be my first Nintendo system ever. But before buying and investing too much into the system, I'd like to know what's the general consensus here when the Switch true successor will be released.

I have done some research, I think it will be 2023-2024

Argument for 2023: 2022 is packed for Nintendo exclusives, but 2023 looks empty (or we don't have any visibility yet).

Argument for 2024: Switch is still very popular, it's outpacing PS4 sales. And other popular Nintendo system, they had 7-9 years lifespan ( DS had 9 years lifespan) So why would Nintendo release a new system so soon, and basically there's no pressure to do, their rivals have moved on to the next generation, and yet Switch is still selling. 2023 Nintendo may release some different colors of Switch OLED. When I look at OLED options, I see the plain generic white color, and the ugly, HORRENDOUS red/blue neon. I hope they release more interesting colors like gold, platinum or rose gold

So what do you guys think? when will the true Switch successor be released? 2023 vs 2024? or maybe even later....
What do you mean by "true successor"? I think they'll release a new Switch model with 4K functionality sometime around late 2022 early 2023 but I wouldn't really call it a successor, more like a New 3DS style iteration. The actual real new hardware is probably half a decade away.

Pasedo

It's true what someone said earlier. While Xbox and PS battle it out with intense fire power on the front lines Nintendo will sit back and watch while they send their minions to poison the minds and hearts of the people and once the battle ends with huge casualties on both sides, Nintendos minions will come back in and collect the scraps. When that happens is anyone's guess.

Kuranghi

Just get one and enjoy it, then it doubles as great second hand gift for younger siblings, nephews & nieces at Christmas, Birthday or the Summer/Winter Solstice.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Good lord I hope not, that would be awful. I think MS and Sony will stop supporting ps4 and x1 by then, so switch will not see any big ports. I really really doubt it will take this long.

And dang it, I want metroid prime 4 on new hardware!
It could be 2023 as well, possibly. Nintendo spent a ridiculous amount on Research and Development over the past years in a report I remember, so it could be something huge that both competes with Playstation and Xbox as well as does their own thing, so who knows…My guess is that BOTW’s sequel releases in late 2022 or March 2023 and they give it at least a year and a half after that’s out before anything is mentioned

Celcius

°Temp. member
I hadn't owned a Nintendo system since the Gamecube but Metroid Dread + OLED convinced me to jump in and I'm glad I did. This is pretty much my first handheld system and it's nice to have the portability. I don't think Nintendo would release this new model if the new system was right around the corner. Plus the current system basically prints money anyway.

Fake

I remember Nintendo insiders hyping something.

If I would guess, Nintendo have all the time in the world. They have a pretty safe base.

Top Bottom