• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think Nintendo will release the true Switch successor?

Little Mac

2023. I think the manufacturer availability of already dated components inside the Switch will force their hands. I expect a revision to the switch lite next year and an E3 2023 Nintendo Direct to unveil a new console with a launch during the holiday season.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Do you like fun ? Do you like indie games and some great first party exclusives but aren’t bothered by 60fps or anything over 1080P ? You don’t care if the PC master keep going on about this ?

what the fucks ray tracing anyway ?

do you like playing games on the toilet?
but fed up of no buttons on stupid casual smart phone shovelware. Why not play some casually ported shovel ware crap with buttons at a higher price.
(Plus the switch Might be too big to fall into the toilet)ply on the Train, plane or even at home, in bed. Maybe in the shower ? Underwater?

while skydiving , on fire. ? While on the run from the machines sent to kill all?!? The robot uprising. Aargh.

Want to play FIFA , but the latest one , then get a PlayStation or Xbox

want legacy FIFA seriously the same same game just a new set of digits at the
then buy the switch.

You won’t regret, unless you do regret then ok that’s your issue not mine

don’t be a graphics whore. Be a cool gamer and get one !!

I’m not sodding Nintendo , it’s your money it’s your choice. Get it or don’t. I don’t give a damn.

ok bye

Academy Awards Film GIF by CBS

PS Mods I’m not trying to start a console war. (I own a switch)
It’s your money at the end of the buy what you want.

but if you want to play the Witcher while taking a shit on the toilet get a switch.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm thinking 2024. By that time mobile technology would be cheap enough for switch to be able to have aaa third party games again on it's platform.

BigBooper

Yea maybe 2024. Who knows with Nintendo though. They may make the next one backwards compatible or wildy different.

2023, but it's not going to be your traditional replacement. Yes, Nintendo will allow developers to create Switch 2 exclusive games, but most Nintendo games and indies will still be releasing on the base Switch for years to come. They are not going to risk throwing away a 100+ million user base by making their games exclusive to the new hardware.

I'm confident they were planning a Pro version but then decided that the above approach is the better one.

It could be 2023 as well, possibly. Nintendo spent a ridiculous amount on Research and Development over the past years in a report I remember, so it could be something huge that both competes with Playstation and Xbox as well as does their own thing, so who knows…My guess is that BOTW’s sequel releases in late 2022 or March 2023 and they give it at least a year and a half after that’s out before anything is mentioned
You would think botw 2 is close to completion as the graphics look pretty much the same. But I grant that I could see them holding onto it for the next console if it’s spring 2023.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Nothing makes me think it will be soon. 2023 would be a safe minimum for a guess range so if you are comfortable with buying a system now with a 4 year catalog and at least 1 more holiday season of support, but likely more then go for it.

dano1

A Sheep
Even though I could care less about portability if they make a 4K switch I’m buying it. But I would prefer just a awesome home console!

MrA

Banned
I'm thinking 2024. By that time mobile technology would be cheap enough for switch to be able to have aaa third party games again on it's platform.
If they could use orin, and kept similar rations they'd be looking at like 1.4 tf lowest handheld and 3 tf docked, If they kept a 720p portable screen and 1080p docked then used some sort of dlss solution for a deluxe model to get 4k I think they'd have a great set up, if they got atlan chips then that'd be nuts,
problem is cost on nintendo's end and is nvidia going to be so willing to cut deals now that they have the smart car market to serve.

Pejo

They probably want to give a year or two of space between them releasing the whole WiiU catalogue on Switch so that they can sell you the "remaster" version on Switch 2.

Honestly, I love my Switch, but the OLED should have been a hardware horsepower revision as well.

Elginer

Two years from now, maybe three and expect an underpowered system for 300 bucks with a 64gb hdd and shit online but awesome Zelda game.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
2023 most likely now, bit it depends on hardware availability, how strong sales stay, and if any competition launches/or seems planned. If I'm Nintendo and I get a whif of a sony or ms handheld, I want a switch 2 user base before that happens.....

Last edited:

ultrazilla

I'm thinking about buying Nintendo Switch OLED. It will be my first Nintendo system ever. But before buying and investing too much into the system, I'd like to know what's the general consensus here when the Switch true successor will be released.

I have done some research, I think it will be 2023-2024

Argument for 2023: 2022 is packed for Nintendo exclusives, but 2023 looks empty (or we don't have any visibility yet).

Argument for 2024: Switch is still very popular, it's outpacing PS4 sales. And other popular Nintendo system, they had 7-9 years lifespan ( DS had 9 years lifespan) So why would Nintendo release a new system so soon, and basically there's no pressure to do, their rivals have moved on to the next generation, and yet Switch is still selling. 2023 Nintendo may release some different colors of Switch OLED. When I look at OLED options, I see the plain generic white color, and the ugly, HORRENDOUS red/blue neon. I hope they release more interesting colors like gold, platinum or rose gold

So what do you guys think? when will the true Switch successor be released? 2023 vs 2024? or maybe even later....

Announced at E3 2022 and available Fall of 2022. Will launch with Metroid Prime 4, Super Mario Odyssey 2 and Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 Special Edition.

yurinka

Late 2023 / early 2024. I think the Switch successor will have a harder life than Switch due to SteamDeck, PS5 getting rid of lack of chips, Apple's console, mobile gaming to keep increasing market share and streaming services+VR growing a bit in the later part of this generation.

I suggest to add a poll in the OP.

It could be 2023 as well, possibly. Nintendo spent a ridiculous amount on Research and Development over the past years in a report I remember, so it could be something huge that both competes with Playstation and Xbox as well as does their own thing, so who knows…My guess is that BOTW’s sequel releases in late 2022 or March 2023 and they give it at least a year and a half after that’s out before anything is mentioned
I think Switch 2 (or as I prefer to call it, Super Switch) will be a 4K hybrid full BC with Switch that in terms of horsepower would be like Series S but adding DLSS 2.0.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
2023 once the chip supply shortage is over and there is enough of a technological leap with the original Switch. I think that 6 years for one generation is great.

TastyPastry

but if you want to play the Witcher while taking a shit on the toilet get a switch.

i would get a steam deck for that to be honest. get a switch if you want to play first party nintendo games. smash bros, zelda, fire emblem, pokemon, metroid, donkey kong, mario. i honestly would wait for the switch 2 though, i think people who say it's going to be 2024-2025 are crazy it's going to either get released late next year or in the first half of 2023.

watch this video for more interesting information

NahaNago

If they could use orin, and kept similar rations they'd be looking at like 1.4 tf lowest handheld and 3 tf docked, If they kept a 720p portable screen and 1080p docked then used some sort of dlss solution for a deluxe model to get 4k I think they'd have a great set up, if they got atlan chips then that'd be nuts,
problem is cost on nintendo's end and is nvidia going to be so willing to cut deals now that they have the smart car market to serve.
That would be very impressive if they could get the next switch to that level especially since the xbox one series s is like 4 teraflops and would allow them to get AAA third party games again.

I just read about Steam Deck. This could be a game changer, if this takes off, it may pressure Nintendo to release the next Switch earlier

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't see Nintendo waiting and not releasing a new more powerful gaming device past 2022, so 2022 is my guess.
I am hopeful for a Gamecube successor or a console this time plus BC with enhancements for Switch games.

Tams

Gold Member
Late 2023 at the earliest, but due to the supply issues in many areas and Nvidia not offering much in the ARM space recently, I'd say 2024.

I agree with this. They will also have Mario Kart. And they may push Splatoon 3 to launch alongside the Switch 2 also. And Metroid Prime 4? Holy shit. Is this the best launch ever?
This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you set yourself up for immense disappointment.

tusharngf

imagine a device with just 1 tf power in 2023... thats nintendo. Only they can do magic on old hardware. Next iteration will be in the same league. 2TF power will be more than enough for nintendo switch pro.

brian0057

Banned
imagine a device with just 1 tf power in 2023... thats nintendo. Only they can do magic on old hardware. Next iteration will be in the same league. 2TF power will be more than enough for nintendo switch pro.
If only everyone else were capable of said magic.
Maybe that way we woulldn't have 6 hour extravaganzas that come in at 200GB and have the depth of puddle.

If we didn’t have the world wide pandemic your picks would probably be accurate, but now I feel Nintendo will delay as long as possible to make extra $ and build up its stock of new systems so we won’t have to endure what Sony and Microsoft have been through since their recent launches. But you never know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Trilobit

Considering what Nintendo did with the successor to Wii, I shudder thinking of what abhorrent monster they'd dream up after Switch. So I hope they continue with it for some time.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Since we havent heard any rumours of new nintendo system and ongoing chip shortage worldwide im going with 2025-2026

Last edited:

Bakkus

At earliest 2024. Unless you're asking about an enahnced edition which in that case, I think it can happen as early as in a years time.

When BOTW2 launches.
Their brand new next generation console!!?? You can't be serious. There's no way they can delay BOTW2 as much as they did with 1.

Last edited:
2023 is my guess too. BOTW2 is their last major game. Pokemon games don't really count considering we got a Pokemon game for 3DS after the Switch was released. We got a pokemon REMAKE ~20 months post Switch and then the first "proper" Switch game was Sword/Shield about 32 months post Switch launch.

I had hoped for a new Mario game after BOTW2 but i doubt that will happen. I know BOTW2 is currently a 2022 game but it could easily be delayed to 2023. Even if it does come out in 2022 then Nintendo could just milk the system a bit longer.

I really struggle to see how, with the current line up, that Nintendo can go into 2024 without any word of their next system.

Last edited:

ManaByte

They'll wait until the chip shortage situation stabilizes so they can get FULL POWER profits on Day 1. So 2023 at the earliest.

Pantz

Gold Member
Why Nintendo games still retail at full price 4 years after release LOL
Congrats on purchase. Not sure about your country, but you can usually pick up digital first party Switch games on sale around 40% off around Black Friday / holiday sales.

Top Bottom