• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think Nintendo will release the true Switch successor?

Congrats on purchase. Not sure about your country, but you can usually pick up digital first party Switch games on sale around 40% off around Black Friday / holiday sales.

oh cool, thanks for the heads up, I'll wait for Black Friday then to pick up the rest of Nintendo IPs. I don't mind paying full for these first two, I've been wanting to try Zelda for so long....I'm in BC, Canada

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Yeah, considering shortages on hardware of any kind, I think the folks saying two or three years from now are probably going to be right. But... it's Nintendo. They seem to think on a different level. No telling, really.

TheTony316

Well,

1440p/120hz OLED screen, M1 CPU, 16 GB ram, RTX 2050, 512 gb M.2 Gen 4 SSD and 15h battery life @ 15 watts. Release in march 2023 for 299. Launch lineup: BOTW 2, Odyssey 2, Metroid 4, Mario Kart 9, Donkey Kong, P5R Special Edition and Xenoblade 3.

/s

I think 2023/2024 is realistic. Nintendo has no reason to rush a new system.

Last edited:
Well,

1440p/120hz OLED screen, M1 CPU, 16 GB ram, RTX 2050, 512 gb M.2 Gen 4 SSD and 15h battery life @ 15 watts. Release in march 2023 for 299. Launch lineup: BOTW 2, Odyssey 2, Metroid 4, Mario Kart 9, Donkey Kong, P5R Special Edition and Xenoblade 3.

/s

I think 2023/2024 is realistic. Nintendo has no reason to rush a new system.
Rofl

No Oled, 60hz screen, 1080p, 8GB of ram, GTX 1030 performances (1.2Tflops), 128GB SSD and 8 hours battery life @ 20 watts.

Im pretty sure that the Steam deck (1.6 tflops) will be more powerfull than the switch 2. Mark my words.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I'm thinking about buying Nintendo Switch OLED. It will be my first Nintendo system ever. But before buying and investing too much into the system, I'd like to know what's the general consensus here when the Switch true successor will be released.

I have done some research, I think it will be 2023-2024

Argument for 2023: 2022 is packed for Nintendo exclusives, but 2023 looks empty (or we don't have any visibility yet).

Argument for 2024: Switch is still very popular, it's outpacing PS4 sales. And other popular Nintendo system, they had 7-9 years lifespan ( DS had 9 years lifespan) So why would Nintendo release a new system so soon, and basically there's no pressure to do, their rivals have moved on to the next generation, and yet Switch is still selling. 2023 Nintendo may release some different colors of Switch OLED. When I look at OLED options, I see the plain generic white color, and the ugly, HORRENDOUS red/blue neon. I hope they release more interesting colors like gold, platinum or rose gold

So what do you guys think? when will the true Switch successor be released? 2023 vs 2024? or maybe even later....

Announcement: 2023
Release: 2024

Lets just wait until 3rd quarter of 2022 until chip shortage will be over. 2nd Quarter may be the worst yet when it comes to chip production.

Switch 2 will be called "Switch again!" ;)

No i hope they keep the "Switch" concept. Its the first console i love playing in handheld mode. Normally i hate all handhelds.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I was going to suggest just buying an old style Switch second-hand for around 200 bucks and plugging it into a TV, but realized I'm arriving late to a bumped thread.

That said, glad you made the plunge and for someone who has never even played Zelda, starting your Nintendo adventure with Link's Awakening on a portable device is like how God intended it.

RAIDEN1

Nintendo isn't in the horsepower race anymore so they don't give a dam about PS6 and Xbox Series Y...The Gameboy was underpowered compared to the likes of the Lynx and Game-Gear yet it still wiped the floor with them...

Alan Wake

2024 maybe. Switch is still selling like hot cakes, and is not showing any signs of slowing down. They'll ride on this gen as long as they possibly can.

2024 with a launch price of $400. Only a small decline in Switch hardware sales in 2022 despite a chip shortage. A steeper decline in 2023 as Nintendo ramps up development for "Switch 2" titles.

If Nintendo gets the hardware and launch titles right, the successor is in a better position to succeed than the Switch was when it launched. Switch launched at a time where both the PS4 and Xbox One already had price cuts and the PS4 Pro was quite new with the Xbox One X right around the corner. More than likely, the successor will be going against an XSX and PS5 that won't have much of a discount beyond some digital freebies.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A whole cycle is 7 years nowadays. So I think probably around 2024. Late 2023 at the earliest.

carlosrox

Banned
End of 2022. Nitendo doing a 5 year gen cycle every time...

The only way I see another Nintendo hardware release this year is if they do a Pro model. And even that seems a bit weird with the OLED model just releasing in Oct. However if BOTW2 releases this year I could see them pairing a Pro model with it. I think that's the only way that would fly.

No way they'd move onto the true successor. First off, the Switch is still selling very well without a single price drop, and second, there's that chip shortage shit going on.

The only way I see another Nintendo hardware release this year is if they do a Pro model. And even that seems a bit weird with the OLED model just releasing in Oct. However if BOTW2 releases this year I could see them pairing a Pro model with it. I think that's the only way that would fly.

No way they'd move onto the true successor. First off, the Switch is still selling very well without a single price drop, and second, there's that chip shortage shit going on.
There is no room for a pro model... We enter in the 5th year of the original Switch... Switch 2 is the next Nintendo console, nothing else.

Ogbert

2024 I imagine.

They can still release Odyssey 2, BOTW 2 and maybe even Mario Kart 9 on the base system.

Has years left in it.

There is no room for a pro model... We enter in the 5th year of the original Switch... Switch 2 is the next Nintendo console, nothing else.
There's no way that the Switch 2 is released in 2022. The Switch is making a killing in both hardware and software profits with no end in sight. Nintendo would need some indication that sales are slipping before committing to move on.

SNG32

I don’t expect a successor for awhile from Nintendo until sales start to really slow down. There’s no need for them to anytime soon since they have there own lane in gaming and no competition in what they are doing.

Have they even dropped the price since it’s released yet?

Last edited:
I don’t expect a successor for awhile from Nintendo until sales start to really slow down. There’s no need for them to anytime soon since they have there own lane in gaming and no competition in what they are doing.

Have they even dropped the price since it’s released yet?

They actually raised it with the SWOLED.

Some of you are loco if you think Nintendo wants to use the switch which is (roughly) 2 duct taped together xbox 360 with extra ram against the ps5 until 2025/6…

Switch depends on ports to a healthy extent, and the ability to receive them with reasonable development times and not re working engines from the ground up. They need this thing to be out in 2023 for certain.

SNG32

Some of you are loco if you think Nintendo wants to use the switch which is (roughly) 2 duct taped together xbox 360 with extra ram against the ps5 until 2025/6…

Switch depends on ports to a healthy extent, and the ability to receive them with reasonable development times and not re working engines from the ground up. They need this thing to be out in 2023 for certain.

Switch doesn’t need ports and it’s own enigma. As long as they have exclusive titles they will continue to sell. People aren’t buying a switch for ports and usually have a next gen console for that purpose if graphics are a concern. Nintendo has found a lane where they don’t need to compete with Microsoft or Sony. If sales slow down tremendously then the will drop a successor.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
One thing to keep in mind is that there are several new entries of core Nintendo IPs that are long overdue. There’s BotW 2 of course, but it’s also been a long time since the last proper 3d Mario, not to mention Mario Kart. Nintendo usually has only one (or sometimes two) of these per generation, with a lengthy time between releases. If BotW 2 comes out late 2022, then we won’t see another mainline Zelda game until 2027 at the earliest, most likely even later, which means the Switch successor would lose one of its biggest potential killer apps early in its lifespan. The same goes for 3d Mario and Mario Kart – if Nintendo releases new entries of these within the next two years for the Switch, then they couldn’t serve as early killer apps for Nintendo’s next system.

So the question isn’t just ‘when does it make sense for Nintendo to release the Switch successor?’, but also ‘when can we expect new entries for Nintendo’s flagship IPs?’ If Nintendo wants to save new entries in these big IPs for its next system, then the Switch successor can’t be that far away, since I find it hard to believe that there won’t be another 3d Mario or Mario Kart until 2025 or whatever. 2023 sounds right to me.

Zannegan

Depends on whether they want to release a "Pro" or just jump into next gen.
A pro extends your current lineup's lifespan (provided it sells) but also softens the impact of your next gen hardware. There are all sorts of other wild cards at play too: the chip shortage, COVID-restricted shipping, the Switch's legs, OLED model's long-term sales performance, the timing of software projects, manufacturing, etc.

Now is not the best time to put out hardware on a new-ish node. On the other hand, if they leave it too late, they'll fail to carry over their momentum. On the other, other hand, the longer they wait, the closer they will be able to get to the PS5/XS? in a handheld form factor. I'm not saying it will be close, but the Switch being juuuuust near enough to the PS4/XB1 has allowed it to get several "impossible ports" this gen that have done quite well on the system, and I'm sure they'd like to land in that sweet spot again.

So, as I see it:
  • They could do an OLED mini in 2022, followed by a Pro in early 2023 then a successor for holiday 2025.
  • They could do a Pro for holiday 2022 (if it's not on the latest/greatest/most in-demand node) and then launch a successor in early 2024.
  • Or they could skip the Pro, do an OLED mini (or not) in 2022, and put out the successor in 2023.
Basically, I'm betting on an 18 month gap between a Pro and next gen. If there is no Pro, the clock starts from the launch of the OLED. I'm kind of hoping for option 3 myself, but it's anyone's guess. I just hope we don't have to wait until AFTER 2025.

Last edited:

John Wick

A good few iterations of the Switch yet. Nintendo don't mind making their fans pay for the same thing over and over. They'll slowly improve one thing at a time and release a revision. You gotta hand it to Nintendo they certainly know how to nickle and dime the fans.....

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
In the last 20yrs Nintendo have not had a gen go longer then 6yrs.

So, they might go to 7yrs because switch is a hybrid and Covid.

The thing about the switch because its a handheld it could have an abnormally long life because there is nothing really competing with it in the handheld space, steamdeck and small PC's are niche and they are essentially small PCs, smartphones are getting more powerful but the gaming experience on them is still inferior to the switch in someways.

Ceadeus

I really wish their next console to get to 60fps standard.

right now it’s struggling and it’s preventing from enjoying certain game like Dying Light. I simply can’t finish any of the parkour race because how blurry and inconsistent the frame rate is. The race require to be very precise. Too bad.

Business

Next gen chips would be scarce and they keep selling the current models like hot cakes, it's gonna take a few years I guess.

Rofl

No Oled, 60hz screen, 1080p, 8GB of ram, GTX 1030 performances (1.2Tflops), 128GB SSD and 8 hours battery life @ 20 watts.

Im pretty sure that the Steam deck (1.6 tflops) will be more powerfull than the switch 2. Mark my words.
I think that even these specs are a stretch to be honest. The Steam deck will be more powerful, 100% certain.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are several new entries of core Nintendo IPs that are long overdue. There’s BotW 2 of course, but it’s also been a long time since the last proper 3d Mario, not to mention Mario Kart. Nintendo usually has only one (or sometimes two) of these per generation, with a lengthy time between releases. If BotW 2 comes out late 2022, then we won’t see another mainline Zelda game until 2027 at the earliest, most likely even later, which means the Switch successor would lose one of its biggest potential killer apps early in its lifespan. The same goes for 3d Mario and Mario Kart – if Nintendo releases new entries of these within the next two years for the Switch, then they couldn’t serve as early killer apps for Nintendo’s next system.

So the question isn’t just ‘when does it make sense for Nintendo to release the Switch successor?’, but also ‘when can we expect new entries for Nintendo’s flagship IPs?’ If Nintendo wants to save new entries in these big IPs for its next system, then the Switch successor can’t be that far away, since I find it hard to believe that there won’t be another 3d Mario or Mario Kart until 2025 or whatever. 2023 sounds right to me.

Nintendo has multiple killer apps, they don't depend on Zelda alone.

From this list you can see, they have a few 20+ millions sellers

Some possibilities to be released with Switch 2: Mario Odyssey 2, Mario Kart 9, next Smash, next Animal Crossing,

Scotty W

There is no point in hurrying it. New consoles are too expensive and difficult to produce. The ps5 has no noticeable graphical advantages over the Switch to anyone honest.

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
I think Christmas 2024 and no Switch Pro or something first of all there are many Games that are still in Development like Metroid Prime 4, Mertoid Prime Trilogy Remaster, Zelda BotW 2, Splatoon 3 and various other Nintendo Games. For example, Mario Kart has still not got its own Switch Version but only a Port from the WiiU.
Second, the Semiconductor Industry is currently in a bottleneck due to the Pandemic - many components are missing for broad availability.
I can imagine that the next Tegra chip on the Nintendo Switch 2 will be more powerful than the Xbox One X / PS4 Pro in principle like an Xbox Series S.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
2023 makes the most sense to me, they need to keep the momentum going. With the Wii they waited too long until it was completely dead, it's harder to get people to buy the new thing then. Hopefully a Pro for Zelda next year, but seems unlikely. :messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
i Think the specification of the Switch 2 would then be as follows:
Screen 7.2 "OLED / IPS FullHD display
6 core ARM CPU 4xA78 + 2xA55 with 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with a Tegra GPU with 4-6 Teraflops.
256 GB SSD storage that is expandable, for 399 $ / € that's the sweetspot for the price.

jdforge

Banned
I think Nintendo are going to continue Switch as is but also expand on the number and types of hardware platforms they offer.

Top Bottom