• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think Nintendo will release the true Switch successor?

gamer82

I feel like the may keep this zelda as a switch game and and port it over as a pack on the new console and use their big launch title metorid prime and possible have it in 4k that title may show of new tech, engine better than the cartoony art style of breath of the wild. Who knows but i feel as metroid dread looks on a 4k tv they need to advance abit now. It looks great on handheld but as its a hybrid i would also like it to look great on big screen too.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
A true successor, not before 2024.

Switch sales were huge in 2021 and it will be the same in 2022 with a Pro model. A drop in sales in 2023 with a shift for the base model as a substitute for the 3DS, a new console in 2024.

Usually, first rumors about a new consoles are spreading through developers and insiders (I mean, true insiders) 2 years before the release, and we are still with no information, except for a generic statement from Nintendo. We will see some credible rumor in 2022, in 2023 we'll have reliable specs from the devkit shipped to the developers, 2024 release.

Mark this post.

ZoolNL

They are working their ass of to port botw to Switch 2. This year (2022) they will look at the sales of Switch. If those sales go down Switch 2 will be announced… probably somewhere in 2023..

But before buying and investing too much into the system, I'd like to know what's the general consensus here when the Switch true successor will be released.
When stars align, basically.

Nintendo likes older process nodes, so they either need to:

1. Take an existing flagship chip design and ask for it to be backported into a obsolete node. This is problematic in regards to efficiency, which is what happened with Raspberry Pi 4 although this was an extreme example (moving a 16nm A72 into a 28nm node process).
2. Pick a chipset with a few years made on that obsolete node - actually what they did with the Tegra X1 (2 year old chip at launch).
3. Swallow the bullet and go for the new node.

It's unlikely that they go with the new node at all at this point, not only because of cost, but availability and competition. Chip shortages are happening on 7nm and under, not at 14-12nm's.

If there were no shortages, I think a "Switch +" could have happened already as last year rumours were credible to a fault.
(... ) and use their big launch title metorid prime and possible have it in 4k that title may show of new tech, engine better than the cartoony art style of breath of the wild. Who knows but i feel as metroid dread looks on a 4k tv they need to advance abit now. (...)
Don't count on native 4K. 4K upscale with or without reconstruction techniques and 4K HUD is the best you could hope for. Internally, docked games will run at 1080p or less.

Last edited:
North American release dates for Nintendo systems...

NES = 1985
Gameboy = 1989
SNES = 1991
Virtual Boy = 1995
N64 = 1996
GBA = 2001
GameCube = 2001
DS = 2004
Wii = 2006
3DS = 2011
Wii U = 2012
Switch =2017

After careful thought and extrapolation if this data I predict the next Nintendo system will debut in....
Who the fuck knows?

Lol

Mozza

Pretty sure Nintendo only planned to do a console revision like pretty much every handheld generation, the Pro has always been more of a core gamers wet dream than any sort of reality, I expect Nintendo to announce the Switch 2 in 2024, with a release date either late 2024 or early 2025, this gives the OLED time to make an impact and it's not very likely Nintendo will release a new pro version after just releasing the OLED, this would be a very dumb move and Nintendo are usually pretty smart when it comes to these types of things.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
They just said Switch is halfway through its lifecycle today

So you're going to be waiting a LONG ass time

Bragr

Banned
You have to take into account that Nintendo is a Japanese company that a puts a lot of consideration into the shape of the Japanese market. The Switch has eradicated all opposition in Japan and has become the perfect "Japanese product", meaning, it can play Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing with console-like quality in portable form, something that means a lot in Japan. It's more trendy over there.

I think Nintendo views the Switch as their best product ever, something that fits their mantra and "personality" perfectly, it's exactly the sort of product they are proud of. Even if it's underpowered and third-party publishers will struggle to put anything on it, to them they managed to make the quintessential Nintendo system, and they won't part with it easily. Even if the sales would dip in the coming years, as long as they keep getting the sort of extreme sales they are getting with Pokemon and Mario, it's all good and it's gonna be massively profitable.

Zannegan

Unless there's a translation error somewheres, "halfway" and "in the middle" mean fairly different things...

...at least I hope they do. =/

Last edited:

So was the 3DS when they released the New 3DS, and the DS when they launched DSi. All of them more powerful, stop-gap models with a few exclusive features/games.

Base Switch will still last a long time, but they'll need to come with a more powerful model in 2 years time. 2024 is probably right.

I'm sure they're afraid of nixing it like they did with the Wii U though, marketing is important, compatibility too so even if games run like ass I'm sure they'll keep supporting the original Switch for the duration of a generation at sub 720p resolutions docked.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
So was the 3DS when they released the New 3DS, and the DS when they launched DSi. All of them more powerful, stop-gap models with a few exclusive features/games.

Base Switch will still last a long time, but they'll need to come with a more powerful model in 2 years time. 2024 is probably right.

I'm sure they're afraid of nixing it like they did with the Wii U though, marketing is important, compatibility too so even if games run like ass I'm sure they'll keep supporting the original Switch for the duration of a generation at sub 720p resolutions docked.
Ehh... I'm not so sure

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-switch-outlook-again-on-supply-logistics-jam

FKqWHBgWUAIE4nI

Last edited:

Woopah

You have to take into account that Nintendo is a Japanese company that a puts a lot of consideration into the shape of the Japanese market. The Switch has eradicated all opposition in Japan and has become the perfect "Japanese product", meaning, it can play Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing with console-like quality in portable form, something that means a lot in Japan. It's more trendy over there.

I think Nintendo views the Switch as their best product ever, something that fits their mantra and "personality" perfectly, it's exactly the sort of product they are proud of. Even if it's underpowered and third-party publishers will struggle to put anything on it, to them they managed to make the quintessential Nintendo system, and they won't part with it easily. Even if the sales would dip in the coming years, as long as they keep getting the sort of extreme sales they are getting with Pokemon and Mario, it's all good and it's gonna be massively profitable.
Third party support for Switch has been increasing year on year, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

3 more years maybe 4 until a new console from Nintendo. Chip shortages and record sales incentive the current model.

Maybe in the next 2-3 years I would say. Didn’t they recently say that they were only half way through the cycle?

Anyway, providing it is backward compatible I’ll be preordering for day one. The Switch is a must have for me personally.

Top Bottom