• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think we will see another mind blowing next-gen game?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The current consoles are pretty underpowered for their render targets. I'd not bet on anything "jaw dropping" at all.
The Office Thank You GIF

Forza, Horizon Forbidden West, and all the other games look good but like... we're not gonna see much that looks better than that considering that we're essentially working with a 2060 super/2070 at most here. More powerful than the PS4 yes, but it's not gonna be a jump in the same way that PS2 to 360 was, or Genesis to N64

We will see mindblowing, great looking games. They're just gonna be more of the same of what we've had this gen. You know how into the PS2 games kept looking better and better until around 2003-04 when they plateaued visually? Yeah, we're sort of at that point now.

Last edited:
The Office Thank You GIF

Forza, Horizon Forbidden West, and all the other games look good but like... we're not gonna see much that looks better than that considering that we're essentially working with a 2060 super/2070 at most here. More powerful than the PS4 yes, but it's not gonna be a jump in the same way that PS2 to 360 was, or Genesis to N64

We will see mindblowing, great looking games. They're just gonna be more of the same of what we've had this gen. You know how into the PS2 games kept looking better and better until around 2003-04 when they plateaued visually? Yeah, we're sort of at that point now.

Its up to the first party studios to push each console to its potential, the ps5 and series x have not even been remotely pushed at this point, the ceiling is a lot higher than the old jaguar cpu’s of the last gen machines.

The ps4 and xbox one were also underpowered really fast yet look at the difference between even HZD in 2017 and HFW in 2022. Its like an entire generation apart graphically, GG squeezed the ps4 for every drop of power it had. GG untethered to last gen architecture is going to be a completely different experience.

I’ll never understand why this conversation is had every single generation. Every time someone says “we’ve hit a point of diminishing returns” “graphics have gone as far as they’re gonna do” we get a game that completely shuts that down. It’s going to continue to happen cause thats technology.

The first time I watched final fantasy advent children i honestly thought that graphics could never look that good in a video game. Now i look at advent children and it looks ancient as hell, like someones school project.

5-things-final-fantasy-7-remake-took-from-advent-children-5-were-glad-it-didnt-main.webp

Last edited:

amigastar

GTA hasn't led graphics since ever. GTA 3- San Andreas weren't lookers. GTA4 came out a year after Crysis. GTA5 didn't touch Crysis or BF3 in 2011 and certainly not BF4 and Crysis 3 in 2013. And there were many better looking games than GTA in 2013.

Devs like Naughty Dog and MS' The Coalition will wow people when they release true next gen games.
I disagree strongly. Since GTA 4, Rockstar upped their game when it comes to graphics. RDR 2 still looks amazing today. Also GTA 4 looked amazing when it came out and introduced things which are standard today, the same for GTA V.
Don't forget Max Payne 3.

Last edited:
Only unleased Korean and Chinese games look strictly next gen these days, and any one of them could be vaporware.

Starfield from a game design perspective will be bigger than anything we ever seen. 1000+ planets, a crafted bethesda story and game design loop. multiple cities. The kind of game I'm really looking to push next gen hardware. That will impress me more than prettier graphics.
I'm excited for Starfield, but stories are not Bethesda's strong point and their cities have at most 2-3 dozen people in them each. I don't expect that to change/improve significantly. But the scope is indeed likely the next gen thing about it.
GTA is always the game I look at to see the difference between a generation. Of course, we didn't get a new GTA game last gen :messenger_unamused: so I think we're in for a real treat when GTA VI is shown off. RDR2 was beautiful and still is. It's been 4 years since it came out so I can't wait to see how they've improved RAGE. Rockstar really know how to make a stunning looking game.

I still remember seeing the first screenshots of GTA V back in July 2012 and they blew my mind. It was these ones :messenger_tears_of_joy:

newswire_1342100433.jpg

newswire_1342100464.jpg
Crazy how little we progressed graphically in 10 years. Lots of games coming out still pretty much look similarly to these screenshots, in terms of detail and lighting. It's just resolution and small bells and whistle depending on your set up. Nothing really revolutionary. Uptake on RT has been slow.

What difference does it make how the game looks like if it's the same tired 3rd person cinematic experience?

Gimme fucking next gen in gameplay mechanics ffs
Your comment makes me think of RE4, which was not only a true leap forward in gameplay for the series and the genre despite being at the tail end of a gen. When will we see that mindblowing gameplay leap again I wonder?

Lasha

I don't think we get there this generation. The games which released so far are just higher resolution versions of last gen games. Nothing really new or novel. The consoles already force a choice between performance and fidelity. Nobody is making crazy PC exclusive graphics card killers either. I think we are probably 5-10 years away from seeing something genuinely mind blowing.

Hunnybun

I'm presuming something will be shown IF we do actually get a PlayStation showcase in September.

Specifically I'd expect Spider-Man 2, at the very least, to be extremely impressive.

I don't know if there'll be an actual new announcement though - that might have to wait.

And of course there's Ragnarok, which will probably end up looking at least as good as HFW.

I've given up on Forspoken, that game just seems to be a mess, unfortunately.

For games that are actually coming out, hopefully RE4 turns out to look really great. Or if not that, FFXVI looks amazing from those screens they released.

Hunnybun

I don't think we get there this generation. The games which released so far are just higher resolution versions of last gen games. Nothing really new or novel. The consoles already force a choice between performance and fidelity. Nobody is making crazy PC exclusive graphics card killers either. I think we are probably 5-10 years away from seeing something genuinely mind blowing.

Ratchet & Clank already got there over a year ago. If Insomniac's B team can do it, so can most other developers. Unfortunately it's just a matter of waiting.

Hunnybun

The Last of Us remake looks next gen visually imo, so does Callisto Protocol imo

Callisto Protocol to some extent I'd agree with - although there MUST have been cross gen sacrifices somewhere - but TLOU looks exactly like TLOU2 on PS4, so there's no way that's next gen in any sense.

IMO something like Returnal, despite being very uneven visually, looks much more next gen than TLOU Remake. At least it's doing stuff you couldn't have done on PS4.

Hunnybun

I agree. Expecting the most next gen looking game when the hardware now needs to push not only the jump to 4k but also doubling the fps with many of these games seems a bit much.

But nobody is pushing for both. It's been 4k30 with the option of 60fps at a much lower resolution.

DragonNCM

This one is easy, but it will take a while. These are not in rankings or anything, put numbers for the sake of easier count.

These are off top of my head.

1 - Gears 6 from The Coalition
2 - The next new IP/Game from Naughty Dog
3 - Fable from Playground Gamss
4 - The next title from Sony Santa Monica after God of War Ragnarok
5 - Wolverine from Insomniac Games
6 - Perfect Dark Reboot from The Initiative
7 - GTA VI from Rockstar
8 - Alan Wake 2 and Max Payne Remake from Remedy
9 - Next Gen Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft
Till this games are out........we will have next/next generation & I will have 55y :p

NahaNago

But nobody is pushing for both. It's been 4k30 with the option of 60fps at a much lower resolution.
We've barely even had that many only next gen games for them to make that a marketing push with the 4k 60 fps. I'm expecting starting 2024 a lot of the games will push that 4k 60 fps since it will be for only current gen hardware games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
You mean far more linear games than Squadron 42 ?
S42 has better and more advanced tech than any ND titles
Tech may be great, but their content/art looks last gen and it's aging faster than they can rebuild it.
Which is a common problem for any of these 10+ years projects, you can't continuously be on the cutting edge content wise with this size of project, unless you're willing to spend a billion/year, and even SC hasn't reached that level of funding quite yet (though if they keep growing at current rate they'll get there in ~3 years).

yamaci17

Naughty dog excels in motion capture/animation…thats what gives their characters more of a ‘lively’ look its not just hair and skin textures. Naughty Dog left uncanny valley dead eyes two generations ago already.

its funny that the example you give puts the game in bad light lmao
that animation looks horrible and forced. it screams artificialness and forcedness, nothing more

Last edited:

Three

You mean far more linear games than Squadron 42 ?
S42 has better and more advanced tech than any ND titles

And Crytek had better character models and graphics than Any ND games on PS3 and All real time in game not FMV Video files ...
like you see here xD

Eynr9XI.jpg
why are you using PS3 shots though?

Squadron 42 tech is great but the animations aren't. there are a lot of nuances that they miss when animating in the engine especially with the eyes and mouth vs the uncompressed face model. In the game you can see it's got some real uncanny valley eye and mouth movements at the end of the vid.

ND is the opposite, the realtime capture tech is a little uncanny valley but final game it's great.

It's getting harder and harder to be impressed when the bar is so high already... and when development budgets and talent aren't restricted by hardware but are restrictions themselves.

Lupin25

I’m sure there will be great examples from titans like ND, Bluepoint, SSM, The Coalition, Rockstar, but for now we don’t have much to go by outside of The Matrix demo & the Epic Games tech demo presentation.

It’s still insane to me that Horizon Forbidden West is cross-gen tho, so I’m confident we’ll see a nice leap.

Dampf

Once cross gen is over, the leap will be bigger than PS3 to PS4, that is for sure.

Completely new gameplay mechanics will emerge too. Just look at this water simulation in real time and think:

Some next gen features can only be used when the old generation is dropped. That is why current games look so similar and this generation appears to be a minor upgrade.

Fuck those old gen consoles. I can't tell you how much they hold back your current games. It's so, so painful.

Last edited:

Aure

Banned
Probably somewhere down the line on the next gen consoles. PS6/Xbox Series *Insert number or letter*
This gen is done.

Last edited:
My guess is also the next PlayStation showcase/event. They didn’t had one for a long time and there are just tons of Studios where it’s not yet announced what they are working on. So I think it’s easy to think that that would be the next big show and they should normally have at least one banger in there.

I mean who in the world did expect to see something big at ONL, Microsoft or Sony would never announce their highlights there and instead save them for their own show.

Fools idol

Banned
Starfield from a game design perspective will be bigger than anything we ever seen. 1000+ planets, a crafted bethesda story and game design loop. multiple cities. The kind of game I'm really looking to push next gen hardware. That will impress me more than prettier graphics. On top of that whatever Obsidian is working on with Avowed. I expect A tight skyrim world with far more choice and consequence. Just the next steps in RPGs in general should be mind blowing because it should allow greater freedom and choice.

lol I admire your optimism in a studio that has overpromised and woefuly under-delivered buggy games for the past 15 years at least.

I have hope too but yeh, it's a thin slither.

Hunnybun

We've barely even had that many only next gen games for them to make that a marketing push with the 4k 60 fps. I'm expecting starting 2024 a lot of the games will push that 4k 60 fps since it will be for only current gen hardware games.

Zero chance of that happening.

If anything the target will get lower, not higher.

lol I admire your optimism in a studio that has overpromised and woefuly under-delivered buggy games for the past 15 years at least.

I have hope too but yeh, it's a thin slither.
Outside of fallout 76 they delivered game of the year quality games since mirrowind. I think expecting starfield to be fallout 4 at worse is a pretty good bet.

This again.

What exactly is a next gen game ?
Are we under the impression that HFW or Horizon racing is next gen because pretty graphics? They had nothing innovative other than most amazing graphics in the world. Even GoW:R which will be my 10/10 game is possible on PS4.

I would say Hellblade did more experiment than any of those games. So excited for the sequel.

Edit: Graphics the only metric then ? Only PSVR shit would impress me now.
Yes, better graphics and performance is 95% of what constitutes next-gen hardware. Changes to gameplay are mostly just software stuff. But, I guess we will see more DualSense features in games.

Top Bottom