• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think we will see another mind blowing next-gen game?

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think 2022 is a wash for those sorts of games. A mix of covid related delays, and not enough next gen hardwarw availible for publishers to justify making their games exclusively for the new systems. Hopefully next year will be the year we get some more next gen only titles that actully take advantage of the hard ware, but for now its just sad its taken us this long to get there

Umbasaborne

Banned
I feel like its been a while. I still think HFW is the best looking actual playable game thats come out so far, it feels like not a lot of wow factor has been presented yet. I also think rift apart was crazy and forza horizon 5. It still feels like we haven’t even neared the peak of what games will be this generation, feels like it hasn’t even started to be honest.

Nothing really over summer gamesfest, xbox showcase, or ONL screamed next gen to me. Everything kind of just looks like whatever, some games look nice, like street fighter 6 or FF16, but they dont look like games that couldnt exist of previous gen.

When is the next big ‘holy shit’ game to be revealed? What game do you think it will be? If you think there already exist a game of that stature coming out, what is it?
Also keep in mind…most of the triple a publishers have yet to actually reveal their 2023 line up. 99 percent of the games shown at sgf, onl, and the xbox showcase were aa from smaller publishers, or indie games. In fact, microsoft totally used that “focusing on games releasing in the next twelve months” excuse at the last minute because some how, they still dont have abything to show for fable, perfecf dark, or avowed. Microsoft leaned on indies as a crutch, where as you kind of knew it was going to be mostly small games at sgf snd onl. Dont forget that publishers love to lie about release dates to get pre orders. God of war ragnarok and hogwarts legacy in 2021? Fucking pathetic.

giphy.gif

Elios83

HFW is super impressive on PS5 and can't wait to see the next God of War showcase.
But in general I think there will be a significant jump in quality when there is a widespread UE5 adoption, last gen hardware is left behind and we see second gen first party exclusives (like Spiderman 2).
So I'd see mid to late 2023.

Shubh_C63

This again.

What exactly is a next gen game ?
Are we under the impression that HFW or Horizon racing is next gen because pretty graphics? They had nothing innovative other than most amazing graphics in the world. Even GoW:R which will be my 10/10 game is possible on PS4.

I would say Hellblade did more experiment than any of those games. So excited for the sequel.

Edit: Graphics the only metric then ? Only PSVR shit would impress me now.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
This again.

What exactly is a next gen game ?
Are we under the impression that HFW or Horizon racing is next gen because pretty graphics? They had nothing innovative other than most amazing graphics in the world. Even GoW:R which will be my 10/10 game is possible on PS4.

I would say Hellblade did more experiment than any of those games. So excited for the sequel.

Edit: Graphics the only metric then ? Only PSVR shit would impress me now.
Flight simulator is a truly next gen game, it leverages the cloud and ssd to render the entire globe. Plus it looks fucking incredible. Ratchet and clank rift apart allows for the entire world to change around you in an instant thanks to the ssd, which creates some truly epic set pieces. Imagine a god of war 3 that is truly made with the ps5 in mind, and doesn’t rely on loading screen crawl spaces and slow climbing sessions in order to account for the ps4’s shitty hdd?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't think we'll ever be as mind-blowed by graphics as we could be some generations ago. Diminishing returns and all that.

Now, on the gameplay side? Imagine a AAA studio focusing not on realistic graphics, but on using all that spare horsepower on improving gameplay, AI and physics. Now that could be mindblowing.

Jennings

When the following games release on console:
Starfield
Street Fighter 6
Baldur's Gate 3

sachos

Next in line is GoW Ragnarok, while it will not have trully next gen mechanics due to having to work on PS4, the graphics will be really good based on what's been shown so far. I expect the same jump in quality like in HFW. Right now i think the only ones capable of showing huge leaps are Sony studios, when you look at their technical quality they are far ahead of pretty much everyone else in the industry so we will have to wait for next Sony conference, hoping it is in September. They are trully missed during the "E3" weeks. Although im really looking forward to what iD Software and Machinegames can bring as exclusives for Xbox.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
VR will bring it.

I don’t see anything left to do on standard hardware that would be mind blowing. Graphics are already amazing, but there’s nothing left to do.

It’s going to be a higher level of interaction in a more detailed virtual world that will be mind blowing.

VR will bring it.

I don’t see anything left to do on standard hardware that would be mind blowing. Graphics are already amazing, but there’s nothing left to do.

It’s going to be a higher level of interaction in a more detailed virtual world that will be mind blowing.

More destruction physics would be nice. I cant wait to see what Embark does with their new ‘The Finals’ game where the entire map can be destroyed

R6Rider

Gold Member
VR will bring it.

I agree VR is going to have some impressive games, but I feel for standard/flat games, devs need to go back to showcasing impressive physics that 6 and 7 gen games were touching on. 8th gen hit and was seemingly left behind for whatever reason to focus on pure graphics.

More interaction with items.
Heavier emphasis on physics instead of animations.
A larger amount of destructibility with objects and environments.

On the note of VR, games with VR in mind tend to touch on these more often due to the general interactivity that comes with VR gameplay.

wolffy71

Banned
Mind blowing? That's a bit too high of an expectation. There's not gonna be a big tech advance or something of that nature. Just look for fun games

Daytonabot

Banned
I'm going to say 5+ years when a "next gen" actually happens again. Games released three years into a generation are not "next gen" by definition.

TxKnight7

Nah… ND already have better carachter models than Squadron 42, and there are not NexT Gen.
You mean far more linear games than Squadron 42 ?
S42 has better and more advanced tech than any ND titles

And Crytek had better character models and graphics than Any ND games on PS3 and All real time in game not FMV Video files ...
like you see here xD

Eynr9XI.jpg

Last edited:
What difference does it make how the game looks like if it's the same tired 3rd person cinematic experience?

Gimme fucking next gen in gameplay mechanics ffs

Could you please elaborate on what you would consider next-gen gameplay mechanics?

To be quite frank - FPS games are pretty much same as they always have been and the visuals is what makes them more immersive and next-gen.

DOOM from the 1990s is basically essentially same game as DOOM Eternal as far as basic core gameplay goes. Go into a hallway, shoot Demons, find key cards and rinse repeat. Sure the glory kills and all that freshest it up, but at the end of the day your doing same thing for the most part.

How can a 3rd person shooter be different? You point and shoot things. The weapons can maybe switch up the gameplay sure. But look at Gears and Uncharted both games are 3rd person shooters with pop out and shoot in the face when you can while hiding behind corners. But yet, the story, visual artstyle and gunplay is what makes these games very different.

Anyways, just some food for thought.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Either hellblade 2, Spiderman 2 or Forza Motorsport whichever comes first.

But I don't think character models will get much better then Horizon:fw on PS5, Aloy looks better then that character you play on the matrix demo imo.

Three

I'd say Spiderman 2 and Hellblade 2. God of War Ragnarok is going to look decent too much like HFW did.

I'm over pretty eye candy with the same gameplay loops we had during the PS360 gen. Honestly I think the Mordor game's Nemesis system was the last thing truly innovative I can think of off the top of my head.

You mean far more linear games than Squadron 42 ?
S42 has better and more advanced tech than any ND titles

And Crytek had better character models and graphics than Any ND games on PS3 and All real time in game not FMV Video files ...
like you see here xD

Eynr9XI.jpg

Naughty dog excels in motion capture/animation…thats what gives their characters more of a ‘lively’ look its not just hair and skin textures. Naughty Dog left uncanny valley dead eyes two generations ago already.

Last edited:
I think GTA 6 will be one of the first games that will blow us away.
Also Elder Scrolls will look good, too.
Alan Wake 2 also.
GTA hasn't led graphics since ever. GTA 3- San Andreas weren't lookers. GTA4 came out a year after Crysis. GTA5 didn't touch Crysis or BF3 in 2011 and certainly not BF4 and Crysis 3 in 2013. And there were many better looking games than GTA in 2013.

Devs like Naughty Dog and MS' The Coalition will wow people when they release true next gen games.

GTA hasn't led graphics since ever. GTA 3- San Andreas weren't lookers. GTA4 came out a year after Crysis. GTA5 didn't touch Crysis or BF3 in 2011 and certainly not BF4 and Crysis 3 in 2013. And there were many better looking games than GTA in 2013.

Devs like Naughty Dog and MS' The Coalition will wow people when they release true next gen games.

the next GTA will def be generation defining just like RDR2 was, and for the record i didn’t love either game but rockstar are definitely in their own league as far as 3rd party devs go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom