• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When we changed our minds about video games and we were wrong

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
How many times have we been wrong or had a negative impression, that when playing... we realize how wrong we were or we didn't give it a chance...

Previously I hated Sonic a lot, and I was a big fan of Nintendo, I saw Sega and I was hate it.

As time has passed and I have seen other consoles, and I have even played Sega video games, I have had a lot of appreciation, with the latest things that have been done with Sonic and the movies, I grew fond of the franchise.

91xYsebuK5L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Another example is in the racing genre, I hated car games a lot, but when PGR 3 and WRC arrived, I started to like the genre.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When Mario + Rabbits came out I didn't buy day one because I wasn't really fan of majority of Ubisoft games or those Rabbits but then there was sell so decided give a try.

I was so surprised how much I enjoyed both the gameplay and the humour, it was legit great game and now I'm super excited for the sequel.

Last edited:
People praising Kojima would get under my skin for some reason (even thought I had played MGS on PS1 when I was a kid and really enjoyed it), it sounded so pretentious to me, like no way these games could be that good. Then I decided to play the entire series so I could play MGS4 on PS3 and I could believe how good it was, now it's one of my favorite series of all time and Kojima my favorite game developer (along Miyazaki).

Talking about Miyazaki, when I played Demon's Souls in 2009 I had the same reaction as Shu, after a few hours I couldn't belive how shit that game was and I dropped it. Then I had the exact same experience with Dark Souls in 2010, but this time I came back a few hours later determined to not be beat by the game and then it finally clicked with me. Dark Souls became one of my favorite games of all time, I love the level design and world building of that game. I then went back and played Demon's Souls and really enjoyed it the second time and ever since then I played every From Software game that released.

I didn't care at all about JRPGs until I played Persona 3 on the PSP. I loved Gen 1 Pokemon and played some other JRPGs based on animes games but I never had the realization that they were JRPG like games. I even had friends that would praise games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger but despite it sounding pretty good I just wouldn't bother, I was all about CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and computer games in general and generally looked down on consoles.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I didn't like Nier Automata at all, thought it was a dull, button mashing mess of a game that was more style than substance.

When gave it another chance about 6 months later realised just how very wrong I was.

Felt similiar with FF7R and Sekiro, but eventually came around with those too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I thought I was going to have fun playing TLOU2. Lmao at my life.

Also JRPGs. I always thought they were boring slogs where all the gameplay resorted to "dude just use your strongest attack each turn lmao" with no strategy or anything else. Then I started playing the SMT games and I saw the light.

tommib

Fallen Order. I’m not a Star Wars fan but had a friend that kept saying I was going to like it because I’m a Metroid freak. I bought it on the biggest sale I found online certain that I was still wasting money.

Super enjoyable adventure. Loved the maps, the backtracking, the Souls combat and structure and the Metroidvania of the whole thing. Sweet graphics as well.

I want another.

How many times have we been wrong or had a negative impression, that when playing... we realize how wrong we were or we didn't give it a chance...

Previously I hated Sonic a lot, and I was a big fan of Nintendo, I saw Sega and I was hate it.

As time has passed and I have seen other consoles, and I have even played Sega video games, I have had a lot of appreciation, with the latest things that have been done with Sonic and the movies, I grew fond of the franchise.

91xYsebuK5L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Another example is in the racing genre, I hated car games a lot, but when PGR 3 and WRC arrived, I started to like the genre.
You were right originally. Sonic kind of sucks and always has.

I downvoted the shit out of CoD: Infinite Warfare when the reveal trailer came out and then I eventually played the campaign and found it to be one of the greatest game campaigns ever created. It made me cry.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
tlou2.
All the leaks pre release. Mass internet hate boner on the game because Abby got some muscles.
The game took my like good 15-20 hours until it finally won me over with it's rollercoaster of emotions.
By the end, I loved all of it and totally let go of my pre-release hate. Now I can totally see why some stubborn people still hold to that feeling of hatred... because they were too stubborn to give the game a chance.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I used to think Rust was a miserable janky mess.

Now I view it as a beautiful untouchable jewel that will sprout a bunch of uber successful offspring.

Naked Lunch

Sekiro, specifically because of the counter system. Ive always hated games that rely on parrying.
I quit Sekiro on 3 separate occasions over the years because I just could not understand the parry timing.

Finally reinstalled Sekiro and tried one last time early this year and it FINALLY clicked. I played the Genichiro battle over and over until I finally understood the game. The last boss is one ill never forget.

Sekiro is absolutely the most difficult game I ever played - outside of some bullethell shmups - but its also the most rewarding. Im glad I didnt give up on it.

BigBooper

Mafia 3. Maybe it was the time it came out or the expectations from the series, but I didn't like Mafia 3 at first. I revisited it recently and it's pretty decent.

Most of the time I give a game a second chance, my initial opinion holds up.

Fredrik

VR

I was super negative on VR since some talked about motion sickness and I can get motion sick just by playing regular first person games. I didn’t have to try it. VR could never work for me. Or so I thought…

Then a coworker brought his Oculus Quest 2 to work, fiddled with some things and motioned a circle on the floor and handled over the headset and controllers…

- Here you go, try it

Zero motion sickness and I’ve never been so blown away by anything gaming related in my whole life. Ordered a Quest 2 the same day.

VR is awesome!

Only problem, the market is too small so AAA devs still don’t dare to fully invest in VR, which has made this awesome thing mostly collect dust lately.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I interpreted the title of this thread to mean "Times that we reconsidered our original take, only to find that our new take turned out wrong".

For me, that's "Undertale". Went from thinking "This is it?" to "Oh, I must be wrong because people like it so much. Maybe I do like it". But, no, that game just isn't for me.

The first time I played Fallout (1) i thought it was stupid, ugly, pointless, slow, boring and just fucking crap.

The second time I played it, it became my favourite game series of all time (1,2, tactics and NV. Fuck 3, 4 and 76)

anonychus

Neo Member
Mario + Rabbids was the first thing that came to mind. I'm no fan of the rabbids and thought it was going to be a dumb crossover. I was wrong. It's a great game with excellent attention to detail and references throughout both the main game and the DK DLC. Fun gameplay, lovely music, just had a great time.

I had no interest in this game until my brother gave it to me for my Birthday and I ended up really enjoying how you would climb though the cave and end up in a different world. The climbing was so unusual at the time. I managed to complete it and now I want more.

Sleepwalker

Days Gone

The starting few hours were a drag, almost dropped it. Decided to keep on going, was one of my favorite games of last gen.

Red Dead 2

Same stuff, so janky, too many animations too much "realism", hated the mission design etc, but Arthur won me over and the story made me stick to it. The game is pretty awesome. Still hate the mission design.

Still waiting for tha BOTW moment where I get it...took down 3 beast and was like, this game boring. Halo infinite did cause me to play halo heavy after being a hater for years and MW2019 bought me into fps after not really liking them...and Bloodborne was the fromsoftware moment from me after failing to get into dark souls when it hit games with gold a looooong while ago.

chaseroni

Bloodborne. Wow, it really didn't click with me the first time I played it. Picked it back up like 6 months later and it became my game of the generation.

radewagon

As a Sony fanboy, I always had a negative impression of Gears of War. Probably cause I never played any of them. Now that I've had a chance to play them, I can honestly say that while they are not high art, they are dope AF. Active reload is the best thing ever. Fight me.

Zannegan

Banjo-Kazooie was one of my top 3 N64 games, and I was beyond excited that MS was doing a big-budget sequel. So, when I saw the reveal of what Nuts and Bolts actually was, I instantly HATED it. I honestly downloaded the demo just for a hate-play but ended up absolutely loving it. Go figure.

I would kill for a sequel or another game with a more advanced take on the building-block vehicle physics.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
When I was young I thought doom was a scary game filled with strong dangerous enemies, how wrong I was

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My tastes in games havent changed much since the beginning. I like gritty games, sports and turn based party RPGs. Only exception is 2D Mario games which I've liked since the NES days, and enjoying Ultima Underworld and Skyrim/Fallout transition.

But one weird thing is baseball.

It's the one game where I used to like playing them (reflexes and all), but in my recent years prefer to play text based baseball sims. But any other sports game, I'll still play real time.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I generally don't my mind on things but the first outlier would be third strike. Played it religiously and then one day all its problems started jumping out at me and I stopped playing it pretty much cold turkey.

The other would be Botw. Loved it for the first 40 hours and then when it became obvious that the game was just a lot of copy/paste with no reward or anything exciting to see I started actively disliking it and completely hated it by the time I was done with it.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Kingdom Come Deliverence
I thought that it boring immersive sim that tries to be realistic.
In reality it was very classic-feeling, warm and soulful RPG with amazing music, combat, story. I liked gameplay a lot. Still one of my favorite RPGs of recent years. Strongly recommend to play it and spend time in it.

tommib

Sekiro, specifically because of the counter system. Ive always hated games that rely on parrying.
I quit Sekiro on 3 separate occasions over the years because I just could not understand the parry timing.

Finally reinstalled Sekiro and tried one last time early this year and it FINALLY clicked. I played the Genichiro battle over and over until I finally understood the game. The last boss is one ill never forget.

Sekiro is absolutely the most difficult game I ever played - outside of some bullethell shmups - but its also the most rewarding. Im glad I didnt give up on it.
My holy trinity of hard games is Sekiro, Returnal and The Evil Within on Nightmare mode. They are also my favourite games. Well done, man.

GymWolf

I was wrong about monster hunter until mhw came out.

The game being released on portables console didn't helped since i hate playing on these devices.

brian0057

Banned
Resident Evil VII.
Played the demo, and was "ok, I can see where they're going with this. Still not impressed."
After finally playing the full game, my thoughts about it slightly improved. Although everthing after the Old House can fuck right off.

I still think Alien: Isolation is the superior title. But I'd still play REVII several times before touching 5 or 6 ever again.

cireza

When the open-world formula started to develop, I naively thought that it could be great. The promise was incredible.

I played Assassin's Creed, the first one at release on 360. Never completed it, thought that it was pretty bad really, but I did not give up on open-worlds. Years later, I tried some others. Eventually played BotW. And now Elden Ring.

But in the end, the conclusion was that all these open-world games were awful. I had zero fun with them. Can't state how boring these games are, how disappointing the copy-pasted design is. It is an absolute waste of my time. A game like Elden Ring makes it even more obvious when you can compare to the previous games, which had just as much interesting content, but wasn't diluted in a huge world where nothing of interest is to be found. Halo Infinite felt exactly the same. And BotW as well.

I hated anything to do with skateboarding and so didn't think a videogame on the subject would be any good.

Then I played Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 and it blew my fucking mind. My appreciation for the real-life sport grew from there.

HisExcellency

Neo Member
When I was a kid I saw my friends play FFIX and thought it was the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Not the story or graphics or anything else but the combat system. Attacking then waiting to be attacked then rinse and repeat until one of you are dead. That's how it looked to me.

A few years later I played FFX for the first time ever and my mind was blown. Obviously the graphics and voice acting helped but the core gameplay was much deeper and more satisfying than I ever thought it was. Lady Yuna and the rest opened up an entire genre for me and now it's one of my favorites.

fart town usa

Gold Member
RE: CVX, pretty much from the day it released on the Dreamcast til about 4-5 years ago, I was convinced that the game was mediocre as shit. It might be my second favorite OG RE title now, I have issues with certain aspects but none involve gameplay. That game is a beast when it comes to OG RE and it's solid through and through.

Silent Hill: Homecoming, I never hated it like most people do, just thought it was a bit mediocre in certain aspects. I revisited it back in the Fall, it was awesome. Finally beat it for the first time and I loved the story. The twist was pretty dumb but everything else was entertaining. Honestly might be my favorite Silent Hill game, I really like the dodge/block/parry mechanics. The sound design is god-tier. Pro-Tip: The knife is OP as shit, you can play through 95% with the knife, lol.

Here's a dumb side note: When RE6 released, I was convinced that it was a terrible game but better than RE5. Then I went back and played through RE5 and was convinced that it was superior in every way...but halfway through, the slog kicked in. A few months later I went and played RE6 again and was convinced that RE6 is the more entertaining game. At this point, the only thing I can be sure of is that both games suck but sometimes one of them is more fun than the other. lol.

I literally tried to play Death Stranding 2 separate times before I'd delete it after about the 2 or 3 hour mark. I thought it was a boring walking simulator......

On my 3rd install and attempt at playing I realized, Death Stranding IS a boring walking simulator. But I kinda like it. And then I got addicted to making routes and figuring out how to deliver packages. I then realized, I like boring walking simulators.

Top Bottom