• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will consoles go extinct?

pramod

Banned
Notice i say when and not if.

And the main reason i say this is because the younger generations just arent into consoles like the older ones are.

I would really like to see some demographic info on the age of people buying consoles but just from my own anecdotal experience, kids would much rather play on their phones, or even on a PC, than on the living room TV.

My own prediction is one more generation of "traditional" consoles at most. After that it will either morph into completely VR devices or just go extinct.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
As all things, they will evolve and adapt.

Its something that some people don't get, as there are a stupid minority of people out there that still believe the Switch is not a "proper" console.

But yeah, won't dissapear in the foreseeable future. It will turn into hybrid consoles, or VR consoles, but they won't dissapear.

JLB

Banned
Being optimistic there will be maybe 3 more generations. Still there will be consoles around, but they will be mostly irrelevant.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
kids would much rather play on their phones, or even on a PC, than on the living room TV.
kids play on phones because they hardly have time to actually go home, relax and play on a TV, not when you're up to your neck in homework and responsiblities. That only gets worse when you become a full grown adult with a job. In the case of super young kids, they're raised by cocomelon and ipads so safe to say they like their games best on their tablets to begin with
This is easily shown by the Switch's insane success, people like to have a nice handheld on the go.

Personally i feel like console gaming will be replaced by cloud gaming soon in the future, it's sad but it is what it is, people are caring less and less about ownership with the success of streaming services and cloud movies/music. Most people have dumped MP3s for spotify and the only people buying blu rays are film/home theater enthusiasts.
Consoles will still exist just like CDs and Blu rays but they'll be for a niche market

Last edited:

nocsi

And the main reason i say this is because the younger generations just arent into consoles like the older ones are.

I would really like to see some demographic info on the age of people buying consoles but just from my own anecdotal experience, kids would much rather play on their phones, or even on a PC, than on the living room TV.

My own prediction is one more generation of "traditional" consoles at most. After that it will either morph into completely VR devices or just go extinct.
The younger generation use iPhones as their console. Consoles will have to adapt to be playable in a more ubiquitous way

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Never.

Never.

Anecdotal experience is irrelevant.

nocsi

Once Microsoft and Sony pay to include hard drives on TVs and all TVs have a native Xbox, Steam, and Playstation apps.
It’s 2023 soon, you think they’re battling for your living room? The next consoles and battleground are actually EVs. Here are Sony and nintendos
NxSn3LK.jpg
OUobeMI.jpg

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Networking would have to become orders of magnitude better for cloud to supplant dedicated hardware; that being said, all-in-one devices that don't need an extra box to run the software? maybe 30 years.
Though said extra box will always have the better performance.

I Master l

Banned
People are getting poorer and the hardware are getting more expensive every generation because Moore's law is dead, next gen
we will see 700-800$ consoles and after that its will be be only very expensive PCs "like 2000$ for 4070 tier GPU" and streaming

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have 4 lads I work with that 18-19 and they all have consoles.
Never seen them on or heard talk about mobile games.
That seemed to have been more popular 8 years ago with the teenage generation then when mobile games was taking off.
Not so much now.

Last edited:

OceanGaming

What do you mean when you say "consoles"?
Consoles as in specialized devices to play games, both hardware and software, are dead aside from maybe switch. But locked down PCs called "consoles" that we have today, those will not go away.

Last edited:

Mercador

I think at some point, Xcloud or Streaming gaming platforms will become more mainstream. You'll just need an app from your phone / tv and a controller. Stadia was a good idea but charging for games that you don't own wasn't the best idea. I think Gamepass is more the way to go. I'm not sure it needs more than 4k@120hz so around 50mb data stream.

Lasha

Probably one or two more generations before consoles become simplified PC. They are basically weak PC since last generation.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'd say 20 years or so

This makes no sense, what are people going to work on, their consoles?
It will be like classic cars where people who give a shit will continue to work on them. The vast majority who are fine gaming on their mobile devices will end up driving consumption towards all in one systems like consoles and streaming options.

reinking

Gold Member
There will always be some type of "console" because it keeps customers tied to an ecosystem and companies make a large chunk of their money from that closed ecosystem. This is the new "PC gaming is dead."

gothmog

Gold Member
Sure. People will make games and get hardware for consoles on phones.
I basically have my steam deck driving a screen, keyboard, and mouse. They get the power levels right I may never buy another PC. Especially after all the price gouging going on the past few years during the crypto boom.

Draugoth

Gold Member
10-20 years maybe

When quantum computing becomes widely available - then it will surely die.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I basically have my steam deck driving a screen, keyboard, and mouse. They get the power levels right I may never buy another PC. Especially after all the price gouging going on the past few years during the crypto boom.
Steam Deck is a PC and I bet no one prefers using Maya and ZBrush on it vs a powerfull desktop.

gothmog

Gold Member
Steam Deck is a PC and I bet no one prefers using Maya and ZBrush on it vs a powerfull desktop.
Steam deck is much closer to a console than a PC. I mean all you can upgrade is the drive pretty much, right?

As far as powerful desktops most of the firms I work with have offloaded their heaviest lifting to cloud based hardware. You still have some high memory local machines but it's becoming less and less.

There's always going to be a need for powerful local rendering, memory, or storage just for things that aren't easy to put in the cloud like heavy IO and low latency workloads. But I don't think that's going to stop PCs from becoming a specialty item.

Top Bottom