• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will consoles go extinct?

Ansphn

You don't need to build it yourself.

Mobile phones and cloud are a bigger threats to consoles than gaming PCs.
Mobile will never be able to bring that big screen TV feeling + surround sound. That's why movie theaters are doing so well.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They will continue to sell just fine for as long as they remain the best value option for the typical gamer. Only if streaming were to become the primary delivery mechanism (not likely for quite some time if ever) or if PC gaming became cheaper than console options (extremely unlikely) would the console market dry up.

Ansphn

What if they can stream the content to your home entertainment system, just like a console can....
Lag will always exist. I don't think we will have ever be lag free especially with the data being sent getting bigger and bigger.

pramod

Banned
Get out of your little bubble.

All my nieces and nephews (and there are many, because we're a family of 8), all have TVs in the rooms and game on consoles there. Almost all of them, have friends will similar set-ups too.

I think you've biased yourself with your own anecdotal experience which seems pretty atypical to be honest.

Look at console sales. They're more popular than ever.

Do they have consoles because their parents are gamers too? Just curious.

acm2000

Consoles won't be extinct for a very very long time since as far as the manufacturer's care they have a captive audience, higher prices, forced game purchases due to lack of piracy etc etc etc, not even factoring in the price advantage over pc gaming as a consumer.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Notice i say when and not if.

What data is there to support this "when, not if" summation? The console market has increased, not declined. Increase in mobile popularity has been additive to the overall gaming market, taking nothing away from console market share. I also doubt kids are playing much on PC.

nush

Gold Member
When tvs internal processing power turns good enough to produce realistic graphics.

You're not wrong here. The race to own the living room with a branded set-top box died when smart TV's entered the market. Those TV's can do everything, even currently play (Shitty) games. TV manufacturers won. The added value of a console having a web browser or Netflix is gone and having great looking games and different input devices is all they have. When they can build an actual console into a TV the box is gone.

Do they have consoles because their parents are gamers too? Just curious.

Their parents are traditional Nigerians. They're the furthest thing from gamers you could see. Heck, they mostly think I'm weird for still gaming in my 30s.

My nieces and nephews have consoles because all their friends are playing Fortnite, COD and Geshin Impact on consoles.

I cant imagine how EVs have any correlation here.
As in the technology changes and so does the demand of certain products. You can't claim that something is being held back because a big company can't sell its products like they used to.

Fossil fuel demand will disappear within 30 years or so, do you think Shell has the power to stop that? They can't, they will make other products, like charging stations instead.
Same for tobacco companies making electronic cigarettes.

We probably had this thread 5 - 10 years ago. They won't go away completely for a long time. 20 years maybe?

Look at movies right now. We have mostly streaming but they still make dedicated blu ray players and physical 4K movies. They're fairly niche but there's still a market for them. Collectors and purists still want them. Same thing will happen with games but not completely until the infrastructure is all there to make the process much more seamless than current. Your games will stream on your TV and every other device just like Netflix.

Some people (just like with movies) will still want physical/digitally installed games though. Things like input lag and internet access and whatever other issues there may be are equivalent to video quality for a movie. Some people will demand the best and that will still be the way to get it. You don't want to stream a multiplayer game if it's going to create a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Movies and games are not comparable. Just because movie streaming exists, it doesn't mean game streaming will be a popular thing anytime soon. Games are huge, complex and require to process user's input. Lag is unbearable and will stay so since games are getting more and more complex and shiny.

Top Bottom