• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Your Loved Ones Die, Head to Costco!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Yahoo News

CHICAGO - Whether you're in the market for a good night's sleep or the eternal kind, there's now a discount store somewhere that has you covered.

On Monday, Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of soda, started test marketing caskets along side mattresses at a North Side Chicago store. They're also being sold at a suburban Oak Brook store

The brochure says buyers can cut their overall funeral costs by more than 30 percent that way. But Lemke said the funeral home working with Costco might not be the one the family planned to deal with.

"If you are talking about going to a funeral home, 30, 40, 50 miles away, they (customers) might have an entirely different attitude," he said.

While caskets can costs several thousand dollars, some funeral homes do sell them for even less than Costco is charging, he said.

Walkinshaw, who also works as a funeral director in the Boston area, said he has caskets ranging from $350 to about $8,000. He also thinks Costco won't cut into the business of funeral homes.

"Other people have tried (selling caskets) and found out the public is real comfortable buying caskets from funeral directors," he said. "It's kind of one-stop shopping."

Bonnie Busch, vice president in Costco's Midwest division, hopes shoppers will make one more stop. "I hope they don't have any deaths in the family, but if they do I hope we can help people out," she said.

I think I'll wait until they start offering discount cremation.

"Man, look at this great deal on these 6 caskets bundled together! That's way below what you'd pay for them at a funeral home. I'd better stock up before they run out, because they never stock the same merchandise twice in this place!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom