• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are all the features (4K, 120fps, Ray tracing, SSD Revolution) that were promised for Next Gen?

daclynk

I remember starting this Gen all we could hear was how Ray tracing, SSD, 4K and 120fps will change gaming forever. Now all i am hearing is GaaS, live service and meta verse. Publishers and Devs are now looking for more ways to make players give them more cash instead of truly making use of the features and tech that comes with them systems. its sad as now how things are going for this Gen i can see free 2 play GaaS games are going to be the main focus as Open World as in the 8 Gen and First Person Shooters were in the 7Gen.

So when are we going to see what this Gen true games start using all those tech and features.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
first time GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
Meet the new gen, same as the last gen. give it a couple of years and we’ll be back at 1800p or less at 30fps.

It’s the recurring nature of the beasts; year 1, consoles are modestly powerful compared to PC GPUs - then new GPUs release, consoles look weak and end up prioritising resolution over framerate.

Raytracing being a buzz word prior to launch, don’t make me laugh :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Zeroing

Banned
I remember starting this Gen all we could hear was how Ray tracing, SSD, 4K and 120fps will change gaming forever. Now all i am hearing is GaaS, live service and meta verse. Publishers and Devs are now looking for more ways to make players give them more cash instead of truly making use of the features and tech that comes with them systems. its sad as now how things are going for this Gen i can see free 2 play GaaS games are going to be the main focus as Open World as in the 8 Gen and First Person Shooters were in the 7Gen.

So when are we going to see what this Gen true games start using all those tech and features.
they all lie every gen! Anyone remember how the power of the cloud would make games look even better? Etc!

Kuranghi

You sure someone hasn't dosed you with silly juice OP? We already have all those things in "next gen" games:

Games output native 4K and 120hz, have RT and use SSDs to great effect.

Did you mean those first three things at the same time?!

Slow Motion Smoking GIF

I have bad news, the new consoles cant and will never do that, if they could they'd cost thousands. You can have each of those thing separately or maybe two together in a game with simple to render graphics.

Ulysses 31

It typically takes the next gen to deliver on all the promises of the previous one when it comes to consoles.

Though I doubt even those could run current things at 4K 120 fps with RT.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

You sure someone hasn't dosed you with silly juice OP? We already have all those things in "next gen" games:

Games output native 4K and 120hz, have RT and use SSDs to great effect.

Did you mean those first three things at the same time?!

Slow Motion Smoking GIF

I have bad news, the new consoles cant and will never do that, if they could they'd cost thousands. You can have each of those thing separately or maybe two together in a game with simple to render graphics.
Doubt even a high end pc could do all of that at a native 4K,maybe with DLSS but barely.

COVID has unfortunately delayed the cross-gen transitions so most games are coming out for old and new systems and, as such, do not take full advantage of the newer hardware features. The PS5 certainly has more next-gen games than the Xbox Series X in my experience as an owner of both systems but hopefully 2023 will see more 'true' current gen releases as more people get hold of the new systems and developers move over to supporting them fully.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
All PS4 games are capable of looking like The Last of Us 2. Every PS4 game could have had load times close to SSD like Ghost of Tsushima. But do they? Nope.

We passed the point a long time ago where the limiting factor is hardware. The limiting factor is budget and amount of time devs can work on something, and the choices they make in development.

This means to me at least that hardware is basically not that important anymore. Hardware advancements mean that cheap studios that don't budget in time to polish their games can brute force things to work a little better than last gen for not much additional cost. And the few first party things that actually will push boundaries are cross-gen right now.

If most studios can't even afford to develop games that look as detailed as the max games capable on PS4, why does anyone think they're going to develop games at the max level of PS5? No one can afford to spend that much time on these things except an extremely tiny amount of studios. And on top of that, things like Unreal Engine 5 that automate large advancements in graphics so studios can do this cheaply aren't even ready yet.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I don't blame non technical gamers, kinda sucks. You gotta get more savvy if you don't want to be constantly let down like this, just make friends with a nerd and ask them if you can't be bothered learning yourself.

I had a customer the other week and he wouldn't buy a TV without 4K120 support and I kept asking him what he plays and he just said single-player mostly.

I told him as time goes on there will be less and less 4K120 modes and you certainly won't see them in AAA SP games, so maybe buy the TV with other factors at the forefront instead. He was literally going to get an Sony X85J just to get 4K120 support because he didn't want to pay more than 900, when he should've been getting an LG B1 at 999 if he didn't want to go to C1/A80J price.

I said to him I don't think it's a bad idea to future proof and even if there aren't many 4K120 modes then there will be other benefits for SP games like 4K60@444 HDR output and potential 40hz modes but I don't think it's something you'll notice at all.

The guy couldn't tell the difference between 30 and 60, so absolutely no hope for seeing the 30/40 or 60/120 motion clarity benefit imo.

Usually I can say look I'm a nerd here's what's worth worrying about and they go with it. Sometimes the customer tells me specific PC stuff they want to do and I say well you actually really will benefit so definitely get a 4K120 set, but this 1/1000 customer described above falls into a niche I like to call:

"Enthusi-tard"

It's best to just leave them to it because nothing I say will change their mind and they have things all twisted so it's like arguing with a child who doesn't grasp the basic concept of something.

SkylineRKR

RT was always going to be a gimmick for these consoles when their specs were revealed. Its something you won't even get with full fidelity on twice as powerful hardware.

120hz is there... quite a bit. Again with compromises as expected. Even XSS has a decent list of 120hz games.

SSD revolution is there. The load times are for me the biggest improvement. Even going from Yakuza PS4 to Series or PS5, which has like 2-4 second of loading for taxi drives. Or Resident evil Village that loads within 2 seconds on PS5 vs almost a minute on PS4. If thats not a revolution idk what is. Keep in mind these speeds of fully rendered 3d games are about as fast as cartridge games. Liberally switching between them was only possible when using emulator stuff with save states.

Swift_Star

Banned
Games are mostly 60fps with resolutions higher than 1080p. Loading times are barely existent in those games that use the SSD correctly. I really don’t know what you’re expecting, even more, why would they focus on 120Hz when most people will not have access to that refresh rate? As for 4K, you can barely see the difference between it and 1440p.
I really don’t know what you’re going on about.

ethomaz

Banned
4k + 120fps + RT can't even be archived on PC best monster ring... let's not even talk about consoles.
At the end you will need compromisses.
  • 4k + limited RT + 30fps
  • 1080p + limited RT + 60fps
  • 120fps + PS3 graphics (no RT)
  • DRS up to 4k + 60fps (no RT)
  • Etc
Choose your poison.

62379693.jpg

Last edited:

daclynk

Games are mostly 60fps with resolutions higher than 1080p. Loading times are barely existent in those games that use the SSD correctly. I really don’t know what you’re expecting, even more, why would they focus on 120Hz when most people will not have access to that refresh rate? As for 4K, you can barely see the difference between it and 1440p.
I really don’t know what you’re going on about.
i will be happy with a 1440p 120hz Ray Traced game utilizing SSD than NFTs meta verse GaaS game.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Huh? We have all of them...just not in one specific game.

4K - Ori and will of the wisps. Heck, we even have 6K there. 4K DRS is basically becoming standard. Some games on Series X run full flat 4K.
SSD - Have you loaded a game on a one X compared to a PS5/Series X. Its a night and day difference. Xbox has Quick Resume - even PC's don't have that yet.
Raytracing - Console's will always lag behind PCs here. But there are games out there with nice ray tracing albeit less performance.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
i will be happy with a 1440p 120hz Ray Traced game utilizing SSD done NFTs meta verse GaaS game.
You will probably need to move to PC (not any PC btw... you will need the ring)... and even there it will be trick unless you go for some AI Resolution deal.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You will probably need to move to PC (not any PC btw... you will need the ring)... and even there it will be trick unless you go for some AI Resolution deal.
If you didn't acquire a 2070s or above before the GPU crash then yeah then it's hard.
Otherwise no.

saintjules

Maybe we can start to see pieces of it before the end of the year and start to get some of them in full swing sometime in 2023.

I believe games like Pragmata, Hellblade 2 and maybe even FFVIIR2 (if it comes out in 2023) will showcase some of the power of the Consoles.

luffie

Most ppl, or "casuals" if you want to classify them, don't care care about 4k raytrace ssd, despite what you might believe.

All the top earning games are games with simpler graphics, mobile, roblox or minecraft. So publishers are actually looking more onto that .

You hoped to get all of them simultaneously? Every item you listed has already been covered so far...except maybe for having titles developed with a heavy streaming philosophy in mind (SSD), for thinking about ways to construct your game/engine around it will surely take some more time...
The bad news is that with Covid, whatever was planned for 2022 will probably be pushed to 2023 (I would not expect current gen optimized titles before the end of next year at the earliest). The good news, should you be willing to call it that, is that this generation will be longer than the previous one...possibly the longest ever.

iHaunter

Generations are dead. Cross gen games forever. :messenger_neutral:
Uhh no. But yes people shouldn't buy into marketing.

4k + 120fps + RT can't even be archived on PC best monster ring... let's not even talk about consoles.
At the end you will need compromisses.
  • 4k + limited RT + 30fps
  • 1080p + limited RT + 60fps
  • 120fps + PS3 graphics (no RT)
  • DRS up to 4k + 60fps (no RT)
  • Etc
Choose your poison.

62379693.jpg

This is inaccurate, even now. Ratchet and Clank and Miles both had Dynamic 4k + 60 + RT. So I have no idea what you're going on about.

Last edited:
PR gonna PR.

Next year you'll be wondering where all the 60fps games once cross gen finally dies off and consoles are back to their usual 30fps mean.
If this happened that would just accelerate my switch from playstation to PC… but I honestly don’t think it will.

I think the worst case scenario will be we still get optional 60fps modes but the devs will optimize more for the 30 fps modes and the 60fps mode will be lower resolution than it should ; but we already see that with dying light 2 and gotg for example.

Mabdia

Welcome to the wonderful world of Marketing! Where they sell to you something that you don't need that much and they deliver in a very small scale.

i can see now 10yrs from now everything will be Subscribsion, Always online live service, meta verse and NFT bullshit.

You don't need to go that much in the future. It is happening while we're talking here. That's why I can't care about this gen. There is some games that I want to play and that's all (Sadly).

Last edited:

manfestival

Diablo 2 Resurrection had a 30/60fps mode. 120 fps is DEAD jimmy. 10 year old game with a basically an HD upres can't hit target 120

Top Bottom