• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are all the features (4K, 120fps, Ray tracing, SSD Revolution) that were promised for Next Gen?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don’t know about you, but i’m for sure enjoying the instant load times of games this gen, it’s a huge improvement and even more apparent when you try playing older games unoptimized for fast loading.

as for the rest…. well i’ll assume you are a teenager OP and havnt yet learned what marketing is.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
The magic words are "up to" and "supported".
No one ever promised that you'd have everything everywhere at once.
The hardware specs also made this very clear the moment they were announced. As usual there is no secret sauce, just budget hardware and compromises.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
This is inaccurate, even now. Ratchet and Clank and Miles both had Dynamic 4k + 60 + RT. So I have no idea what you're going on about.
RC
Fidelity: 1296p up to 4k RT 30fps.
Performance: 1080p up to 1800p 60fps with a lot of settings/effects tuned down.
Performance RT: 1080p up to 1440p RT 60fps with tons of settings/effects tuned down.

BTW Fidelity Mode is the good looking and impressive in RC... the others modes are okish without a next-gen wow factor.

62379693.jpg

Last edited:

xion4360

all of those things have been done by one game or another, just not all at the same time and you should not have been expecting that.

Tschumi

I dunno how you could think demon's souls remake loading as quickly as it does isn't a revolution..

PeteBull

I remember starting this Gen all we could hear was how Ray tracing, SSD, 4K and 120fps will change gaming forever. Now all i am hearing is GaaS, live service and meta verse. Publishers and Devs are now looking for more ways to make players give them more cash instead of truly making use of the features and tech that comes with them systems. its sad as now how things are going for this Gen i can see free 2 play GaaS games are going to be the main focus as Open World as in the 8 Gen and First Person Shooters were in the 7Gen.

So when are we going to see what this Gen true games start using all those tech and features.
FH5, Rathet, Demons Souls, Spiderman/Miles Morales seem like current game staples, soon u will get Horizon ZD too, and GT7.

Now about 4k and 120fps- the prettier/more demanding particular game is, the lower res/fps it can run at, hence matrix demo, u cant deny its next gen looks, but resolution and fps wise, its nothing remotely close to 4k 120fps, u can check digital foundry vid for more details

Spoilers: dips under 30fps, even up to 20fps in most demanding scenarios, ps5 and xsx run at roughly 1440-1620p(later in other vid/tweet comment it got corrected to be even lower coz game doesnt render black bars at the top and bottom of the screen)and xss 533 to 644p.

Hunnybun

*People need to wait for next gen only games from the major AAA developers!!*

That's the only thing that can be said. Until those sorts of games are revealed, we're basically in the dark as to what the consoles will ultimately deliver. There's just no way round it. Yes, it's been frustrating having to wait for so long for that stuff to materialise, but cross gen stuff that can't take advantage of the CPU, the SSD, to some extent the GPU, and even the RT cores, simply isn't a fair measure of what the consoles can do.

Otoh, consider the following:

1. The one game we have that basically qualifies (only basically cos it was probably a relatively small production with a limited time frame) is Ratchet. Most people think that looks spectacular, me included. And it does so at native 4k40fps - that clearly shows a huge gain from cross gen productions in terms of fidelity and performance.

2. Snippets from other games like Hellblade 2, Dead Space, and Starfield I would argue are even more impressive, albeit with the caveat that we don't know how they'll actually turn out. That's further evidence that a big leap will eventually come.

3. The Unreal 5 demos both demonstrate very large leaps that might eventually become the standard.

Plantoid

Haven't you played doom eternal or metro Exodus?

Metro has ray traced gi and runs at 60fps

Doom has ray tracing reflections at 1800p 60fps or 120hz mode

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I remember starting this Gen all we could hear was how Ray tracing, SSD, 4K and 120fps will change gaming forever. Now all i am hearing is GaaS, live service and meta verse. Publishers and Devs are now looking for more ways to make players give them more cash instead of truly making use of the features and tech that comes with them systems. its sad as now how things are going for this Gen i can see free 2 play GaaS games are going to be the main focus as Open World as in the 8 Gen and First Person Shooters were in the 7Gen.

So when are we going to see what this Gen true games start using all those tech and features.
lol Have you been living under a rock? All those features have been a staple of this gen so far. Yes, it's mostly just cross gen games, but 120 fps is supported in many games, 4k graphics modes are pretty much standard in every game and there have been over a dozen games with ray tracing.

And I have no idea how you can say the industry is focusing exclusively on GaaS and live service when 5 of the biggest exclusives last year were single player. Ratchet, Forza, Returnal, Deathloop and Metroid Dread. It Takes Two, Guardians, Resident Evil 8, Metroid Dread, Far Cry 6 all single player. Even Halo shipped with a semi-decent single player campaign.

I can understand the frustration over cross gen games, but those features have been in games starting from day 1.

PeteBull

Diablo 2 Resurrection had a 30/60fps mode. 120 fps is DEAD jimmy. 10 year old game with a basically an HD upres can't hit target 120
d2r looks really good, better from most crossgen games, and is pretty demanding, not cp2077 lvl of demanding but its not upres, ever asset was new even tho mechanics were the same, altho even there old d2 was 25fps game.
But in terms of 120fps mode, agreed, we wont get many games with 120fps mode, to run smooth or even relatively smooth 120fps u need so many cuts to the visuals its usually not worth it.

daclynk

FH5, Rathet, Demons Souls, Spiderman/Miles Morales seem like current game staples, soon u will get Horizon ZD too, and GT7.

Now about 4k and 120fps- the prettier/more demanding particular game is, the lower res/fps it can run at, hence matrix demo, u cant deny its next gen looks, but resolution and fps wise, its nothing remotely close to 4k 120fps, u can check digital foundry vid for more details

Spoilers: dips under 30fps, even up to 20fps in most demanding scenarios, ps5 and xsx run at roughly 1440-1620p(later in other vid/tweet comment it got corrected to be even lower coz game doesnt render black bars at the top and bottom of the screen)and xss 533 to 644p.

So looking at most games you listed while all great game they are not pushing the medium. We are still in the cross gen face. So truly next gen start in 2024 going. So it was a mistake to follow all the hype. And looking at the response im getting I should get a Rig. The only 'gaming' Laptop i have is MSI GL63 8RC and that mostly used for Work.

CeeJay

I don’t know about you, but i’m for sure enjoying the instant load times of games this gen, it’s a huge improvement and even more apparent when you try playing older games unoptimized for fast loading.

as for the rest…. well i’ll assume you are a teenager OP and havnt yet learned what marketing is.
Yeah, i've been playing Skyrim (10 year anniversary edition) for the first time on my SeriesX and it loads so fast I don't get chance to look at the art work and read any of the tips and information on the load screens. It's literally less than a second, it would honestly be a better experience if it loaded a tad slower :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PeteBull

So looking at most games you listed while all great game they are not pushing the medium. We are still in the cross gen face. So truly next gen start in 2024 going. So it was a mistake to follow all the hype. And looking at the response im getting I should get a Rig. The only 'gaming' Laptop i have is MSI GL63 8RC and that mostly used for Work.
PC prices are crazy high atm coz of crypto boom, dunno how wealthy u are/whats ur budget for topend pc rig but be ready to spend somewhere around 4-5k usd total, im saying it as a 3080ti owner which i got this august for 2200 euro.

daclynk

Wow, you even made the same thread at the other place. At least they had the good sense to lock it.
wanted to see the reaction and discussions. but isnt true that we dont hear Devs talk about how those feature anymore but more about Live Service. i cant recall.

Where's your data?
Well it’s on the digital foundry articles for both ratchet 2016 and rift apart. They say 1296p or less for rift apart’s rt mode and 1440p for ratchet 2016.

But i’ve played both on ps5 and ratchet remake has better image quality.

Guilty_AI

PC prices are crazy high atm coz of crypto boom, dunno how wealthy u are/whats ur budget for topend pc rig but be ready to spend somewhere around 4-5k usd total, im saying it as a 3080ti owner which i got this august for 2200 euro.
You can get a next gen rig with a rtx 3060 ti/12gb for around $1500 if you buy pre-build tho. Shouldn't be more than 2000 total if you include monitor M&K, headphones, etc.

Its still expensive, just not 4-5k expensive. But sure, if you go for a rtx 3080 ti and building a pc from the ground up, you might end up having to fork out that much.

Last edited:

Games on the Series X and PS5 do use those features like ray tracing,120fps,4K and SSD support.

Idk if you expected the games to use all of these features at the same time but that is barely possible, even for high end PCs. Keep in mind the PS5/Series X are $499 consoles, they both offer great performance for the price but they have limits.

Now, this year alone Starfield, Zelda Botw2, God of War Ragnok and Horizon FB are all coming out and these are all big single player games. So why are you even complaining about GaaS games?

You got to understand millions of people play games across these consoles. MS and Sony has to make a variety of games to met the needs of the different gamers on their consoles. GaaS and single player games can both coexist, just because Sony is investing in more GaaS doesn’t mean they will stop making single player games, that thought processes is just silly.

MHubert

This thread and your replies are extremely confusing. You ask a question, and all those things you listed are available. If the answer to all your questions is yes, and that still isnt good enough, what are you asking exactly?

Edit:
well i was told i didnt need an expensive Gaming Rig if i got PS5/Series X.
Lol no one told you that

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Rivet and clank has good image quality but it’s significantly lower than 1440p native in its RT performance mode.

Ratchet remake on ps4 pro / ps5 has better image quality.
Wtf did I just read?
Dynamic resolution between 1440p and 1080p. Lmao

Buggy Loop

PR gonna PR.

Next year you'll be wondering where all the 60fps games once cross gen finally dies off and consoles are back to their usual 30fps mean.

Or 60 fps mode but 900p~1080p resolution..

I just can’t go back to consoles anymore after my PC setup is so nice.

daclynk

You were either naive or are trolling, I bet it’s the second option.
im not. all i need is something not possible on pre gen while utilizing SSD, raytracing above 1080p and more than 60fps. Is just Devs arent talking about these when talking their games in development but more ways to get the player to pay more.

Last edited:

MrTentakel

I remember starting this Gen all we could hear was how Ray tracing, SSD, 4K and 120fps will change gaming forever.
A RTX3090 costs more than a XSX,PS5 and an OLED Switch combined and is not powerful enough for 4k@120Hz with raytracing... at least for non Pong games.

Wtf did I just read?
Dynamic resolution between 1440p and 1080p. Lmao
Uh… yeah? Dynamic 1080p to 1440p is worse than just straight up 1440p in 2016 ratchet remake.

It really doesn’t hit 1440p noticeably in rift apart rt mode.

Edit : I honestly can’t tell if you’re laughing at rift apart or what I am saying, hard to tell.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

you should try the load times on a ps4 pro compared to a ps5 for Borderlands 3.

My friend can load, reload again, mow the lawn, bake a cake before I'm even in, all this while playing with zero fps drops.

Next-gen consoles seem rather incredible to me.

ethomaz

Banned
And it does so at native 4k40fps - that clearly shows a huge gain from cross gen productions in terms of fidelity and performance.
Just a correction.

Neither 4k30fps mode or 4k40fps mode run at fixed native resolution in RC.
It runs via DSR and the 4k30fps drops to 1296p at worst but most of time it stay between 1800p and 2160p (full 4k).
The 4k40fps mode in theory have a bit more drops than 4k30fps but nobody tested to say which the typical resolution (or tested but choose to not talk about the DSR).

Ohhh the 4k40fps mode only works in TV with support to 120Hz.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Well it’s on the digital foundry articles for both ratchet 2016 and rift apart. They say 1296p or less for rift apart’s rt mode and 1440p for ratchet 2016.

But i’ve played both on ps5 and ratchet remake has better image quality.
Resolution doesn't always equal image quality. Assets I would argue are even more important. Rendering > Resolution.

Hunnybun

Just a correction.

Neither 4k30fps mode or 4k40fps mode run at native resolution in RC.
It runs via DSR and the 4k30fps drops to 1296p at worst but most of time it stay between 1800p and 2160p (full 4k).
The 4k40fps mode in theory have a bit more drops than 4k30fps but nobody tested to say which the typical resolution.

Ohhh the 4k40fps mode only works in TV with support to 120Hz.

I know, but the consensus seems to be that it basically runs 4k with drops to 1800p in busy scenes. That's backed up by DF analysing the 40fps mode and not being able to identify more common drops, which basically suggests that even withing the 4k/1800p band, the drops from 4k are relatively rare.

I mention the 40fps mode just to highlight the true level of performance the game reaches, rather than it necessarily being that useful for the wider market.

Hustler

We're seeing that in most recent games being released and remasters. 60fps standard was the pipe dream and we're basically getting that. Set standards high much? Not to mention, they're still developing for last gen at the same time. Can't wait to see what Devs are able to do once they fully focus on Next Gen hardware and get used to developing for a SSD only experience.

Have some patience.

manfestival

d2r looks really good, better from most crossgen games, and is pretty demanding, not cp2077 lvl of demanding but its not upres, ever asset was new even tho mechanics were the same, altho even there old d2 was 25fps game.
But in terms of 120fps mode, agreed, we wont get many games with 120fps mode, to run smooth or even relatively smooth 120fps u need so many cuts to the visuals its usually not worth it.
The game is insanely demanding. Thing is taxing on my friends 3080 and my 6800xt. This is more of a failure on Blizzard than has anything to do with 120fps modes. Therefore, my post was more facetious than anything.

Top Bottom