• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are all the features (4K, 120fps, Ray tracing, SSD Revolution) that were promised for Next Gen?

S0ULZB0URNE

That makes no sense at all.
You have PC for that.
Consoles is about the same experience to everybody… a fair and competitive play field.

The industry is indeed making huge mistakes these years and after they got surprised why their games are not matching expectations lol
It makes sense.
If I have a console and a display that can take advantage of better performance or visuals, I should be able to do so.
I shouldn't not be able to take advantage of what my tech offers because someone else doesn't have a good enough console or display.

Video game technology is changing fast. Expect 144hz and maybe 240hz games next generation.

This thread is dumb. Multiple games have these features and have had them since the consoles released. Is op intentionally ignoring all of those games with his head in the sand so he can make up complaints that aren’t true? You’d have a point if none of these features were being used…

DavidGzz

Just got here but did someone tell OP next gen is a ways out? Get a PC OP. You'll never have that on a console if they keep pushing graphics forward. If next gen has the same graphics as this gen, MAYBE. But it won't. Maybe just for the first couple of years. Cross gen shiiit

ParaSeoul

This thread is dumb. Multiple games have these features and have had them since the consoles released. Is op intentionally ignoring all of those games with his head in the sand so he can make up complaints that aren’t true?
Him and everyone else in this thread saying get a PC,marketing lies,etc.

yurinka

that were promised for Next Gen?​

Source, please? Do you have a quote of saying 'I promise' blablabla?

I remember starting this Gen all we could hear was how Ray tracing, SSD, 4K and 120fps will change gaming forever.
Source, please? I don't remember anyone mentioning this. The most similar thing I remember was Cerny mentioning that SSD did open a new paradign for level design and otthr related things once games start taking full advantage of this generation hardware. Moment that in all generations happens around the 3rd or 4th year. Devs still don't have game engines like UE5 capable to take advantage of these things and AAA games take longer than in previous generations. Which means you'll have to be patient and wait for longer.

Games aren't made magically in 2 days, they need a ton of work. Specially huge AAA games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They get a pass, the Series X and PS5 are accepted freely with no questioning the marketing. The series S however gets held to an imaginary world higher standard where game console makers don't exaggerate hardware claims.

rofif

Banned
Same reason why I HATE this trend that cross play is this great thing and is forced into games as the default multiplayer setting. I find cross play ON as a default, disgusting. Developers should know better than anyone the advantages PC mouse and keyboard and 120 fps gives over console. Fucking 343, battlefield, bungie etc Also, MS and Sony shouldn't be allowing it to happen since they should be looking to protect players from unfairness, not fucking promote it!

There are just so many bad trends going on in this industry. I think a lot of it is because of MS and Sony's greed in wanting to expand their market and unify console with PC. I'll throw GAAS in there too. With GaaS it behooves these companies to have as many players playing together at the same time. Better for sales of BattlePasses and Mtx's. Better for player populations and player retention. Bad for console gamers. If Sony and MS won't look out for their own bases then the Publishers and Devs certainly won't.

PC players don't want to admit how shitty cross play is for console because a) they are enjoying the easier matchmaking/populations and b) they don't want to acknowledge why their k/d ratios are better now lol
That and All the cheaters from pc

PeteBull

Everyone always trying to be rounding down the resolutions of Ratchet. It's 1440p with DRS but stays mostly at 1440p in that RT 60 mode.
nuff said, even quality so 30fps mode can drop to 1260p in most demanding scenarios. Now lets think logically- if we add 60fps res gonna get worse, and rt on top- res gonna get even worse than that- so yup 1080p-1440p drs. So technically i stand corrected, in not demanding scenarios rt is 1440p60(probably when none of the rt is happening;p) but it drops to 1080p, and does it when rt is used a lot.

ethomaz

Banned
It makes sense.
If I have a console and a display that can take advantage of better performance or visuals, I should be able to do so.
I shouldn't not be able to take advantage of what my tech offers because someone else doesn't have a good enough console or display.

Video game technology is changing fast. Expect 144hz and maybe 240hz games next generation.
That goes against the whole purpose of console hardware... PS4 30fps players should not play against PS5 60fps players... and PS5 needs to have a standard and not several different options for PVP... PVP should be always standard... the same for everybody.
You clearly want a PC and not a console... and that is fine.

But something I agree here... consoles are having identity crisis created by the people that choose consoles should have options lol... it is that mess right now without any priority and us gamers are the one suffering the most.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sometimes you need to look at how much you paid for these consoles.

Not Bad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Of course, assuming you didn't get them from scalpers. Want all of that? Get a PC with 3090 and spend more than $3500 (prebuilt). Wanna act smart and build it yourself? Then be ready to spend $5000. Then again, is it worth paying 5-10x what these consoles are offering? If the answer is yes, then go for it and good luck.

Also after all that, 4K@120fps with raytracing at ultra/high is still beyond 3090.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

That goes against the whole purpose of console hardware... PS4 30fps players should not play against PS5 60fps players... and PS5 needs to have a standard and not several different options for PVP... PVP should be always standard... the same for everybody.
You clearly want a PC and not a console... and that is fine.

But something I agree here... consoles are having identity crisis created by the people that choose consoles should have options lol... it is that mess right now without any priority and us gamers are the one suffering the most.
Console hardware changed when they went online,had Pro models and they became more PC like.

They use PC components and many of the devs are PC based.

You can keep saying what you would like but it's thankfully still going to happen.

🤷‍♂️

True; still, some games are getting way better next-gen features, or even features that consoles are missing entirely.
You mean the same thing that happens every time there's a PC version of a game? Everyone knows that PC gets more features and higher quality visuals, but it's the same base game. What I'm trying to say is, the PC version doesn't look an entire generation ahead of the console version.

So until we start seeing next-gen engines appearing in games (like UE5), PC and console games alike will still ultimately look like souped up last gen games.

JackMcGunns

Its on youtube, on the old threads.... i'm not doing your homework for you mate

200.gif
MY homework? You’re the one making the claim. The burden is on you lol.

Ok fine, I’ll play your game. My claim is that it was never promised, and if you need proof of that, do your homework 😈

Guilty_AI

MY homework? You’re the one making the claim. The burden is on you lol.

Ok fine, I’ll play your game. My claim is that it was never promised, and if you need proof of that, do your homework 😈
Drop the sealioning already mate, you're not convincing anyone who hasn't already made up their mind to defend their pet corporation.

EDMIX

Drop the sealioning already mate, you're not convincing anyone who hasn't already made up their mind to defend their pet corporation.

...nahhh I don't think this is about defending any company here or there and find that seems to be a cop out people love to use to avoid the topic.

I'm going to disagree with you here and it is upon you to prove your point. This isn't even saying you are wrong or the other user is right etc, its saying we can't even have a proper discussion without the links, evidence of what you are talking about. So if you made the claim, you recall someone from either company talking about some "secret sauce", the ode is upon you to prove that with links, evidence etc. For all we know, you are correct and many did state those things publicly or something like this

This was before they removed all that always online DRM stuff btw.

Banned
Uhh no. But yes people shouldn't buy into marketing.

This is inaccurate, even now. Ratchet and Clank and Miles both had Dynamic 4k + 60 + RT. So I have no idea what you're going on about.

I love how you say he has no idea what he's talking about. and say Miles Morales runs at dynamic 4k60 with RT 🤣🤣🤣

Spider-Man with RT at 60fps barely gets above 1080p my dude

Three

I remember starting this Gen all we could hear was how Ray tracing, SSD, 4K and 120fps will change gaming forever. Now all i am hearing is GaaS, live service and meta verse. Publishers and Devs are now looking for more ways to make players give them more cash instead of truly making use of the features and tech that comes with them systems. its sad as now how things are going for this Gen i can see free 2 play GaaS games are going to be the main focus as Open World as in the 8 Gen and First Person Shooters were in the 7Gen.

So when are we going to see what this Gen true games start using all those tech and features.
You will never get all those things at once but here's the hard truth:

There are games like Ratchet that give you Raytracing, 4k, SSD goodness. No 120fps but a special 120hz mode.

Then there are crappy games not made for PS5/SeriesX that run on everything including mobiles and toasters and don't take advantage of any of that.

Unfortunately the later games are actually the ones making the most money.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Haven’t we done pretty alright on the 120fps side of things? I just hope 60 hz stays…if not I’m dropping them both for pc and will only pick up the exclusives that run at 60.

im waiting for the bad news that star field will be 30fps on series x and then I will cry……and play on pc When I want to play it on the comfy couch series x big screen banger.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You know that feeling when you feel like the way the world is going and all the racism and political crap is such a fabricated thing and most of us normal people have the rationality to see that. Yet when you turn into the news or mainstream channels it's like they're living in their own world and they keep on putting out incendiary things without realizing the reality.

That's where the parallel lies here. Are you still not aware that we are in a pandemic in a global chip shortage which whether you believe is manufactured or not, is happening.

And for somebody like me that has a next generation console and a high-end computer which is probably worth a lot more these days given the market, I can come to grips with that but why can't some people?

As far as I'm concerned with the lack of supply especially on the graphics card market, those features and advancements won't be fully matured probably until the next generation consoles. But rest assured that they are there despite the short-sidedness and often premature creation of threads like this.

The situation is what it is and you are on a forum but let's not just throw a bunch of stuff on the wall just to see what sticks and be a little more rational.

PeteBull

OP apparently thought that we're gonna go from 1080p30 to 2160p120 with RT. That's a 16x jump in pixels even without RT. Good luck lmao.
Indeed ps1 to ps2 to ps3 to ps4 to ps5 is smaller jump every single time, not really sony's fault, just simply tech doesnt advance as quick as in early 90s.

PeteBull

As far as I'm concerned with the lack of supply especially on the graphics card market, those features and advancements won't be fully matured probably until the next generation consoles. But rest assured that they are there despite the short-sidedness and often premature creation of threads like this.
One correction here, suply in the graphics card market is there, just coz of crypto boom price of those are roughly 2x msrp for the very simple reason miner isnt like u or me who buys 1 gpu in 2-5years, they buy as many as they can afford at a price that is profitable for them, then they dont stop and with profits buy even more.
Both nvidia and amd reported both record revenue and record profits, they produce way more vs 2 years ago, its simply demand(think milions of gpu's sitting in crypto mines) is so huge they cant keep up, no pandemy or any kind of shortage isnt at fault here, just the crypto.
Proof of that is- price of gpus on the market(streetprice, not the fake msrp) is highly dependand on the gpu's mining capabilities. Amd rdna2 family cards with its infinite cash is great for games but not paerticulary good in mining so those gpu's get lower mark up vs nvidia ampere ones.

Another proof- cpu/ssd/mobo shortage didnt happen, for a very short period when there was so called chia coin- farmed on ssds price of ssds skyrocketed but it was temporary, price of chia coin dropped super hard coz it simply was destroying ssds/hdds faster than it could produce those coins and was heavily rng based, so ssd prices quickly returned to normal https://www.livecoinwatch.com/price/Chia-XCH guess at what time price of ssds temporary skyrocketed- yup, right in may and june 2021, ofc with tons of articles about ssd component shortages/price hikes by companies producing it and predictions of it rising fast in upcoming years, yet as soon as ppl stopped farming chia coin coz its price collapsed none of it turned out to be true and we still got acces to relatively decently priced ssds on the pc market :)

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Same reason why I HATE this trend that cross play is this great thing and is forced into games as the default multiplayer setting. I find cross play ON as a default, disgusting. Developers should know better than anyone the advantages PC mouse and keyboard and 120 fps gives over console. Fucking 343, battlefield, bungie etc Also, MS and Sony shouldn't be allowing it to happen since they should be looking to protect players from unfairness, not fucking promote it!

There are just so many bad trends going on in this industry. I think a lot of it is because of MS and Sony's greed in wanting to expand their market and unify console with PC. I'll throw GAAS in there too. With GaaS it behooves these companies to have as many players playing together at the same time. Better for sales of BattlePasses and Mtx's. Better for player populations and player retention. Bad for console gamers. If Sony and MS won't look out for their own bases then the Publishers and Devs certainly won't.

PC players don't want to admit how shitty cross play is for console because a) they are enjoying the easier matchmaking/populations and b) they don't want to acknowledge why their k/d ratios are better now lol
Stop being a masochist and start enjoying those advantages of PC too?

Top Bottom