• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we draw the line in "preserving" Nintendo Switch games?

daveonezero

Banned
Ahh so you agree that wanting Nintendo games not to be enjoyed on higher spec platforms is stupid and selfish, I am proud of you for maturing so quickly my child.
This thread is literally about how there is an option to do just that. Some people just setup an artificial moral argument to not do this and then seem to continue to complain and put others down who may genuinely enjoy the games on Switch or PC.

Also sorry for the typos.

This thread is literally about how there is an option to do just that. Some people just setup an artificial moral argument to not do this and then seem to continue to complain and put others down who may genuinely enjoy the games on Switch or PC.

Also sorry for the typos.
No need to apologize, they were just pretty funny lol

But I get what you're saying, and I genuinely have no problem with people enjoying games on switch whatsoever, point I was getting at with the other guy is that it makes complete sense why people would want to play them elsewhere.

Ozzie666

If you purchase and own the game, and there is some method to play with better visuals, resolution or what. Then go for it I guess? Most people who emulate, were never going to purchase the game in the first place, I get that. I guess the debate will be are you allowed to back-up your owned copy and play on an emulator, or would you need to use the actual cartridge. It's a morale grey area. But it seems as we move towards the digital age and companies cannot keep up with their own backlog. Fans are getting impatient and using that as excuse, right or wrong. I guess legally though, it's all wrong right? The more we 'preserve' the less chance any of these companies will re-release their old titles.

Don't get me wrong, when I was a kid in the 80's, we used to preserve a lot of C64 games.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Also, keep in mind these corps have no problem using rom sets for their overpriced "mini consoles". I can play a Playstation 1 classic on my Series X with better visuals and more customization than what is officially offered.

Nintendo pissed me off with the Wii-U. With a few tweaks that system can play the entire Gamecube library perfectly. Nintendo willfully included this in the hardware but effectively restricted it from the home user.

Top these anti-consumer practices with the current ideologies infecting development make it hard to root for these corporations.

Fredrik

Respect is a two way street. Having me buy the same game from the Wii Store, and then the Wii U store, and then offer these classic games as a subscription is a massive insult to the customer.
Yeah, I had invested in over a hundred games on Virtual Console, in the end they just pulled the plug and left me with nothing. When they let me transfer the licenses to WiiU and started the Nintendo account I really thought my purchases were safe. But nah.

balgajo

At least buy the game please.
Other than that, despite still buying consoles, right now they are basically a form of gatekeeping. So kudos for people that emulate without needing to buy the hardware. They are the analogue of having to buy an specific blu-ray device to play some studio movies.

Hope for the future where all releases will also be on PC and Streaming and people will only buy a console because they want some level of quality (that stream does not provide) but don't want to pay the price of a gaming PC.

NahaNago

At least buy the game please.
Other than that, despite still buying consoles, right now they are basically a form of gatekeeping. So kudos for people that emulate without needing to buy the hardware. They are the analogue of having to buy an specific blu-ray device to play some studio movies.

Hope for the future where all releases will also be on PC and Streaming and people will only buy a console because they want some level of quality (that stream does not provide) but don't want to pay the price of a gaming PC.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went harder into the streaming route for their games. I could easily see them creating a netflix, like Nintendo gaming app.

Pretty much agree with the first line. As long as you buy the game then play it wherever you want.

Most of the excuses folks use to pirate the game is just being entitled. Like you don't have to play the game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I seriously doubt console games are seriously impacted by piracy in this day and age. PC gaming may be a different matter, but even then, I think it's fairly small.

Obviously stuff is gonna be pirated as soon as it exists. But the people playing it are not typical Nintendo customers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I buy used Switch games on ebay like a simp
A sale is a sale. If people who sell games could not sell them, they would buy less games overall.

I looked into playing XB3 on an emulator. I saw that XB1 and 2 still had issues so I resigned myself to playing it on the switch. I guess I should have emulated it instead and avoided monopolizing the switch for 10 days.

If Nintendo systems continue to be so weak, they will be emulated early and give PC & Nintendo gamers an incentive to pirate for the better experience. This is the only system that has been like that for most games.

Krathoon

Really, they could do some cool stuff with the motion controls and haptic feedback on the Switch. It is just that the developers need to really adopt it.

Onironauta

Ok it's just me but...

Remember how much money Mamedevs receives from donors to preserve 30yo arcade cabinets with unknown protections and no documentation.

Then see how much money Yuzu and Cemu devs get to emulate day one games for an hardware easily available on the market.

How many people give the same amount of money to both devs? Almost no one?

So, it's easy.
The first example is preservation.
The second is piracy.
Don't invent shitty excuses to justify this.
If you buy a software and run it on an emulator it's not piracy. It's not preservation either, it's simply using your personal software license the way you prefer. I don't understand the need to be this dense about it.

twerkouting

Banned
Their games would be better on more competent hardware with better online infrastructure.

As a fan, that's what matters to me. Their Gunpey Yokoi inspired business model means nothing to me personally.
Then do not buy or play their offerings. It's obviously not meant for you. Easy peasy.

Last edited:

twerkouting

Banned
Copying digital files ripped from the internet =! stealing actual physical possessions that can't be replicated easily with a copy and paste shortcut

If you didn't buy it it some form or fashion, you're experiencing something for free when the creator is asking for money in order for you to experience it, if you go the piracy route. Your experience with that software was ill-gotten. Being a pedant over the nature of physical media used to deliver that experience isn't going to change the fact that you're a thief.

Last edited:
Top Bottom