• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

We're fucked lads. At this point nothing is off the table. EA, Take-Two, Square, Sega, hell even Nintendo probably isn't safe.

I've done my best to support Jim through these difficult times but It's clear Uncle Phil isn't just out for blood. I refuse to be in the cross-fire. It's time for me to retire from the PlayStation Nation

Godspeed

Last edited:

iorek21

Everything is fine.

joaquin phoenix laughing GIF

Metnut

For those of us who like to play to single player console games, nothing of value was lost to the PlayStation platform today. It’s not like MS bought a publisher that’s made anything good recently.

Many of the same people praising this acquisition are the same ones ripping on how bad CoD has been lately. And Blizzard? LOL, don’t even get me started on that.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This feels pretty bad, assuming all those games are Xbox exclusive in the future.

After losing Bethesda, Acti and Blizzard, PS fans sure could use a "win"..

BuddyLaDouche

Neo Member
Interested to see if CoD stays multiplatform. The money is definitely a lot to turn down, but it being exclusive would absolutely sell a ton of consoles. It hitting Game Pass on day one would be such a big move.
Was thinking the same thing, but unless it lures A LOT of people way from PlayStation, I don't see how this makes money or helps pay for the acquisition. Seems like they would take a huge bath on this move.

Calm ye. Microsoft will treat most of these franchises like Minecraft and keep them available to all, especially Call of Duty.

Agreed they wont take away COD too much money there
I give it two years and COD is not on PlayStation, MS said their games can be played everywhere there is Game Pass.

Every new game MS is releasing is not on PS.

ACESHIGH

Banned
We just need MS to buy EA for the killing blow. No COD and no FIFA that's too much for the casual audience that's PlayStation bread and butter.

Hopefully if Sony loses the COD revenue stream they focus on bringing PC versions of their games faster. Dig deep in the PS3 and 2 catalogues as well. Make your streaming service worldwide, improve services all around.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Well if you can't win, then buy it.

Which is totally true in this case and a very smart move from Microsoft. If Sony thinks playing safe using the same strategy works, then it better be prepared by rude moves like that. One can say doesn't give a shit about Diablo and etc, but CoD franchise is no way small fry. You can't ignore that.

Last edited:

ButchCat

On a serious note though, if this is Microsoft's long-term strategy with more buyouts on the way and assuming their market strategy for Activision is the same as Bethesda this could force Sony to face a Nintendo situation where Playstation's existence will have to primarily rely on its first-party output.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Sony definitely made some wrong decisions in the last few years:
- alienated Japanese players (some of which have switched to... Switch)
- alienated people who buy Sony consoles strictly for their exclusives (this is still a work in progress ;)
- pissed off EU players with the price hike on the first party games and this happened at the same time when their main competitor was pushing a cheap subscription service
- didn't respond to Microsoft's earlier studio purchases, I get it they can't spend more than a few billion, but they should've tried some acquisitions among middle size studios

I'll be a multiconsole owner so it doesn't affect me, but for someone not after Sony games and their ecosystem Microsoft is becoming a much better choice. Ryan is a very poor boss, I'm surprised he wasn't let go yet.

On a serious note though, if this is Microsoft's long-term strategy with more buyouts on the way and assuming their market strategy for Activision is the same as Bethesda this could force Sony to face a Nintendo situation where Playstation's existence will have to primarily rely on its first-party output.
The thing is that by releasing their biggest games on PC and planning to release more Sony is sabotaging themselves in terms of potentially becoming the next Nintendo. If you have a PC and you're not in a rush you can just wait for the PC ports.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
As a PS5 owner Microsoft basically got my attention, Bethesda was big, but with Activision as well it will be too hard to ignore Xbox. I loved the older generation where I wasn't interested in a while library of games and alot of games were multiplatform, so I only needed to buy 1 system. Now I have to buy more than 1 to play all the games I'm interested in which is a shame.

T-Cake

We heard that with the Bethesda acquisition dude, lmao. MS wants that Gamepass boost...it's that simple.

Nah, this is different. It wasn't said in black and white about Bethesda games, only that MS would evaluate it on a game-by-game basis. It's in the Xbox post this time around -

Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward.

Last edited:
Nah, this is different. It wasn't said in black and white about Bethesda games, only that MS would evaluate it on a game-by-game basis. It's in the Xbox post this time around -

Too vague.

Could just mean they'll continue to support games that are already available like Warzone.

Top Bottom