• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

SpokkX

Sony will be bought by another tech firm i bet - Amazon, Tencent or Apple. Because Sony cant compete at this level. They just cant. Xbox used to be a kind of hobby project at MS - it is now a core pillar. Big tech is now activly looking - a bad year for Sony and they WILL be bought. Wonder which buyer is the least bad?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sony will be bought by another tech firm i bet - Amazon, Tencent or Apple. Because Sony cant compete at this level. They just cant. Xbox used to be a kind of hobby project at MS - it is now a core pillar. Big tech is now activly looking - a bad year for Sony and they WILL be bought. Wonder which buyer is the least bad?

Anyone but Apple.

MrKnocks

Neo Member
Real talk though, I'll actually be buying an Xbox Series X and subscribe to GamePass already. The first party games of Playstation has, and will always be my kind of games, and I believe that Xbox Game Studio can never come close to Playstation Studios (even with their latest acquisitions), but GamePass offering is too hard to pass up. I've always been a fan of Playstation and never really cared for Xbox, but more than that, I'm a fan of gaming. And I gotta give mad respect to Microsoft for what they're doing with GamePass, it's revolutionizing the way we game, and I'm all for it.

With that being said, my setup is gonna be PS exclusives for my PS5, and third party games/Xbox/PC exclusives for GamePass (if available). Exceptions for third party games on PS will be if the game utilizes the DualSense because the DualSense is just too fucking amazing to play on.

Anyone else have this kind of setup with their PS and Xbox? Anyone else moved from being a die-hard PS fan/player only, to now enjoying both worlds?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Real talk though, I'll actually be buying an Xbox Series X and subscribe to GamePass already. The first party games of Playstation has, and will always be my kind of games, but the GamePass offering is too hard to pass up. I've always been a fan of Playstation and never really cared for Xbox, but more than that, I'm a fan of gaming. And I gotta give mad respect to Microsoft for what they're doing with GamePass, it's revolutionizing the way we game, and I'm all for it.

With that being said, my setup is gonna be PS exclusives for my PS5, and third party games/Xbox/PC exclusives for GamePass (if available). Exceptions for third party games on PS will be if the game utilizes the DualSense because the DualSense is just too fucking amazing to play on.

Anyone else have this kind of setup with their PS and Xbox?
And if someone has some money like you to own two consoles, that's the best of both worlds.

And even better for GP subbers is that EA games to it around 9 months later. Shooters, sports, etc.... EA games have a heavy skew to day one buys due to be being shooters or sports which tempts gamers to jump in right away. But if you're someone (like me) who enjoys EA games (got to try out the new Mass Effect game that got added) but doesnt give a shit about buying day one, GP is even better. I can wait 9 months.

LOL does that crystal ball give you next weeks lotto numbers my man!

dotnotbot

I would be fine with Apple

Midn1ght

I'm on PC and love Sony porting their games, however:

Unrealistically, I think they should:

1. Purchase Square and/or From Software (Can they even do that?)
2. If Microsoft are going full console exclusive with all their IP then go on a Full Exclusive - Only On Playstation Strategy (Maybe stop porting for PC in the process? hum...)
3. Develop a competitive Multi-Player FPS that can compete with COD (Good Luck)
4. Stop PS+ and start their own GamePass (Spartacus?) subscription with Day One releases included.

I know the No-Pc thing is questionable but with so many quality studios + Square and From IPs, buying a Playstation + Spartacus will be impossible to miss if you love video games.

Or they can announce Knack 3 and dominate the market for another 50 years.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
As I said in my other thread, this was the final thing to get me to pick up a Series X. Gamepass is already too good of a deal to pass up, and this just seals where the future is.

I'm going to turn into the player who loves his PS5 for exclusives, and Xbox for Gamepass.

After thinking about it, I think Playstation has two options, and both are wild:

1. A merger with Nintendo (insane).
2. Allow Gamepass on Playstation (also pretty insane).
3. Keep investing in their studios and making great games 😏

Gamerguy84

I would be fine with Apple

It's 2006 all over again round here

Shubh_C63

Imagine you're the guy who owns Sony. One of the reasons why you will sell your company is if they were in fear of getting wiped out (like being in oil lamp business when CFL are being invented), and we know that's not the case. META is the CFL and VR still hasn't showed his hands.

Their profit margins will rise at a slower pace but still upwards. Far from a panic situation.

levyjl1988

Banned
Call of Duty will remain on Playstation, calm your tits.

It just so happens that you would have to download GamePass in order to play it on your Playstation though.
Xbox's main goal is to sell subscriptions for GamePass.
Microsoft is definitely going to strong-arm Playstation into putting GamePass on their Playstation and when they do, Microsoft will succeed.

Console sales are usually sold with very small margins and often at a loss.
Microsoft figures digital sales and accounts will be the future.
Microsoft is trying to make the Netflix of gaming.
A continuous revenue stream is a predictable revenue for Microsoft.

They want to put Xbox GamePass on Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4/5, and Apple iOS.
Apple does not want GamePass on iOS as they are trying to create a market share for their game shitty Apple Arcade subscription.
If they allow Microsoft then they will lose on in that market so they are trying to control the ecosystem.

If Sony declines GamePass on Playstation then Microsoft will be like, okay then, Call of Duty exclusive to Xbox and PC.
We are trying to be the good guys here and make games accessible to your console but PS won't allow GamePass on their consoles.
I think Sony might consider as Xbox is kinda being like SEGA in a way. They want to keep the gaming industry within PC, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony.
They do not want Apple, Amazon, and Google entering this space. They have money comparable to Microsoft to compete in that space.
So Phil Spencer is right. Competition is healthy, but market dominance is more important.

The illusion is Microsoft vs Sony. You have PS fanboys. But when you really think about it. Microsoft is creating a border with Nintendo and Steam in it.
The problem is when you have too many competitors in that same space then there will be many apps and platforms to choose.
Imagine a space for gaming.

Amazon platform.
Google Platform.
Apple Platform.
Microsoft Platform.
Steam Platform.
Nintendo Platform.
Sony Platform.

That's a lot of damn platforms and each with their exclusives, people would probably want 2 boxes to gaming.
I mean for subscription services you have more than just Netflix now, you got Disney+, HBO Go, Hulu, Prime Video, etc.
Each trying to make exclusives to draw consumers to their platform, but consoles have established franchises and IP that are recognizable and aged, and it guarantees money.
Making a successful new IP is rare, not every show will be like Squid Game, or Breaking Bad, some sort of success.

Microsoft created the most powerful console to draw people to their platforms so the games are best played on Xbox. That is their strategy.
Also, Phil Spencer cannot say about Xbox exclusivity until the deal concludes in 2023 otherwise the deal can break off. His social media and twitter must go through a series of review but PR before anything gets posted.
Elon musk on the other hand does not need PR for his tweets, he says something he can get sued and affect stocks and shares. But he has money.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Congrats if you took the time to read all of this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As I said in my other thread, this was the final thing to get me to pick up a Series X. Gamepass is already too good of a deal to pass up, and this just seals where the future is.

I'm going to turn into the player who loves his PS5 for exclusives, and Xbox for Gamepass.

After thinking about it, I think Playstation has two options, and both are wild:

1. A merger with Nintendo (insane).
2. Allow Gamepass on Playstation (also pretty insane).
And there's nothing wrong with two platforms.

Hey, I play Xbox for console games and PC for cheap indie and 1990s classics. Only a couple of these games are on console. I don't play PS because I dont care about SP narratives. I barely even touch current MS first player games, but I'd take Gears and Forza (don't care about Halo or Fable) over PS games. The one Sony game I would play is MLB and got lucky that is now multiplat and GP to boot. Best baseball series out there and the last time I played it was on PS2 The Show 06 or 07. Which ever one had Ryan Howard or David Ortiz on the cover.

And now with Bethesda and Activision it's a no brainer to continue Xbox for generations as they got 4 games I like: ES, Fallout, Diablo and COD. The rest of their games I dont care about, including WOW, Starcraft and Tony Hawk.

As for what to do with Sony, no doubt their first priority is locking up a shooter down the road. Unless they got a shooter secretly in development, their best bet is to do some kind of awesome deal with Bungie for Destiny 3 or gamble on locking up the next BF game in 2-3 years, which at that time COD will probably be Xbox/PC only although Warzone might keep going on PS due to being mtx heavy. UBI has shooters too.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Microsoft is definitely going to strong-arm Playstation into putting GamePass on their Playstation and when they do, Microsoft will succeed.
How is that going to work technically though? Is it a pure XCloud solution? Or are they going to make native ports for PS5? Will they let Sony take a 30% cut of any subs bought?

sinnergy

Where ? The way of Sega, becoming a publisher.

I see a great match in MS and Nintendo to keep it fresh in gaming . Nintendo for inventive game design and MS with internet en the innovation tech. You see it happening in the Banjo deal and Golden Eye deal.

Last edited:

T-Cake

The worst thing Sony can do is allow Gamepass. For the love of god keep that sh*t away from Playstation.

I can't say I'm fussed about Game Pass itself but it would be nice if there was an equivalent to EA Play or Ubisoft+ but just for Xbox Game Studio titles on PS5.

The Shepard

If I was Sony right now I'd bring back killzone with opening a new studio at guerilla, reboot resistance (or make a new shooter ip) with a new insomniac studio and build a team for a new socom. I'd pump money into deviation games to build a cod killer (which is what I'm thinking there doing already) and if a success, buy them. Whilst the xbox has cod, halo and doom the PlayStation will be massivly lacking in shooters. I'd also create an elder scrolls type game to take on that to.

I'd buy square Enix so you got the Eastern Market sorted and maybe even sega (on Wednesday) and capcom. Get from software and bluepoint making bloodborne 2.

Then they'd have enough studios and genre's to make ps gamepass to take on ms.

Shooters and elder scrolls I see as the biggest threat to people jumping ship to xbox. Especially with the more casual gamer.

Last edited:

SSfox

Genuinely curious why you think this. Don't you find it a win-win situation (assuming you're a die-hard PS gamer like me as well)?

Im not interested in it and i want (and they must) Sony to build their own thing instead. I don't want anything from a company that can easily put billions into aquiring publishers, but aren't capable to put few millions to ressurect some of their iconic franchises.

sinnergy

Im not interested in it and i want (and they must) Sony to build their own thing instead. I don't want anything from a company that can easily put billions into aquiring publishers, but aren't capable to put few millions to ressurect some of their iconic franchises.
They did with Killer Instinct and Battle toads to name just 2, but there are more ..

SSfox

They did with Killer Instinct and Battle toads to name just 2, but there are more ..

KI was good, but with all their billions they couldn't do more than a small budget AA free to play? I appreciate d the netcode effort but this game could have been much bigger.

T-Cake

You've already been given two - here's two more - Perfect Dark and Fable. No charge. ;)

sinnergy

KI was good, but with all their billions they couldn't do more than a small budget AA free to play? I appreciate d the netcode effort but this game could have been much bigger.
I don’t think KI had a super small budget as it spanned multiple seasons .. age of empires is another one , and flight simulator, but you seem to have made up your mind about this matter .. I’ll leave it at this .

Last edited:

SSfox

You've already been given two - here's two more - Perfect Dark and Fable. No charge. ;)

Games not released, and don't even showed gameplay yet. Yay.

But seriously there are rumours about KI being in work, hopefully it will be taken as seriously and MS will start maybe throwing big budgets into their less bigger franchises "but none less iconic" as they do with their Halo and Gears.

PS: Also real talk btw I hope they will rethink on Johanna design, her look on that teaser is one of the most generic they could have come with

SSfox

I don’t think KI had a super small budget as it spanned multiple seasons .. age of empires is another one , and flight simulator, but you seem to have made up your mind about this matter .. I’ll leave it at this .

It's an AA, I'm not creating this its fact, but anyway as I said in my post right above.

That being said the good thing about KI tho is that netcode shouldn't be an issue.

Fredrik

The worst thing Sony can do is allow Gamepass. For the love of god keep that sh*t away from Playstation.
If Call of Duty, Diablo, Overwatch, DOOM, Elder Scrolls, etc are exclusive to Xbox and PC, wouldn’t it be an okay way out to still have them on Playstation through a subscription? Would you rather not play them? or buy a Xbox?

Why do you dislike the service so much anyway?

I effectively payed $60 to play ~30 XSX games in 2021, some were played with save sync on PC too, tried VR as well. No extra purchase needed.

Meanwhile I payed $180 to play just 4 PS5 games in 2021.

I don’t know, personally I think ”that sh*t” can be pretty nice, certainly makes the hobby a ton cheaper. For me it has the same positives as Spotify and Netflix but without the negatives from lower streaming quality. More content for less money.

Von Hugh

People thinking they’ll be playing games from all these acquired Xbox publishers on their PlayStation need to wake up and smell the coffee. It’s not going to happen, people. It would be like having a Netflix production on Amazon Prime or Apple TV. Get over it.

People are still smelling the hopium, not coffee.

Elog

Putting Gamepass on Playstation is the perfect win-win for both MS and PS and it is first post a potential (assuming it goes through the anti-trust check) ActivisionBlizzard acquisition it makes sense. PS feels they have to say yes to it and MS has more to win from defending the 70bn USD acquisition (additional revenue from the PS platform) than try to defend their hardware investments in XSS and XSX (GP on PS will make XSS and XSX less valuable).

Not saying it will happen but is starts to make rational sense for both parties.

Last edited:

Urban

As a customer and a gamer , i think competition is good for us. I’m a Sony fan myself and I think that the other franchises only benefit from this deal on the other hand I don’t like the thought of this “franchise war” that is now going on.

If I want to watch und enjoy every game that interests me I need to have 4-6 monthly subscriptions

levyjl1988

Banned
How is that going to work technically though? Is it a pure XCloud solution? Or are they going to make native ports for PS5? Will they let Sony take a 30% cut of any subs bought?
Yeah I think it will be primarily based on xCloud, and it will be subscription-based like Netflix, I doubt Sony gets a % of the subs though, but for a better native experience, you would have to get an Xbox.

SSfox

Sony need to stop fucking around on buying some PC porting or whatever BS and need to hit big, Platinium games, Kojima Prod, Fromsoft, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, so many possibilities. It's seriously time they start playing the big game before MS will eat everything.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Where ? The way of Sega, becoming a publisher.

I see a great match in MS and Nintendo to keep it fresh in gaming . Nintendo for inventive game design and MS with internet en the innovation tech. You see it happening in the Banjo deal and Golden Eye deal.
This is so delusional. Sony can't even keep PS5 on the shelves the demand is so high.

RafterXL

If it dies, it dies.

Seriously though, the whole freakout from "Playstation Nation" reminds me a study that was done some years back about how people were treated in the workplace compared how they felt they were treated. Long story short, men who were treated equal felt like they were treated equal. Women, on the other hand, felt like they were treated equal only when they were given preferential treatment and reported being unfairly treated when they were treated equally to men.

Basically, Playstation only gamers are the women in this scenario. They've been riding high, given preferential treatment, and now that they have to deal with the same drawbacks as every other gamer on the planet, they act like they are being mistreated and are having hissy fits.

Here's the solution...buy another console or PC! Simple. It's the same solution that the rest of us chose when we wanted to play God of War or Horizon:ZD. You'll be ok, Sony isn't going anywhere, but they damn sure are no longer the only game in town. We're finally going to get that competition that everyone always claims is good for gaming! You should all be happy.

BreakOut

We're fucked lads. At this point nothing is off the table. EA, Take-Two, Square, Sega, hell even Nintendo probably isn't safe.

I've done my best to support Jim through these difficult times but It's clear Uncle Phil isn't just out for blood. I refuse to be in the cross-fire. It's time for me to retire from the PlayStation Nation

Godspeed
Ok.

Compare Sony today to where they were in 2010 and compare where they were in 2010 to where they were in 2000.

Sony probably has the most high quality studios under its belt at the moment. Do they need to expand and diversify, absolutely, but it's a stretch to say they aren't close to Nintendo. In many ways they are ahead of Nintendo, obviously just not in all ways.

If I'm Sony, I'm trying to buy Bungie and maybe From Software (KADAKOWA) by the close of business today. Obviously not that quickly, but you get my drift. These would be measured responses that largely outweigh Microsoft's decision to spend big on a publisher that doesn't have one IP on the upswing.
Same ol G Same ol G you still laughing at me buddy?

Same ol G

Same ol G Same ol G you still laughing at me buddy?
Oh hell yes i'm still laughing, doesn't change a thing.
It's laughable to say Sony has the most high quality studios and buying up a husk of a former studio isn't gonna change that.
This situation makes me think the Rare deal back in the day when Microsoft thought they bought Donkey Kong only this time it's the Sony fans thinking they got Halo🤣 (Yeah i know the studio, only without the talent)

Last edited:

Camreezie

To those saying the end goal is Gamepass on playstation. Wouldnt that require a lot of the games native to microsoft platforms be reworked for sony controls?

yurinka

Playstation nation should buy an xbox to go along with ps5.

Just as xbox nation should buy a ps5.

Games not platforms
How about if they make all games full multiplatform and crossbuy between pc and console, so we avoid the need of having to buy all 3 consoles.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm on PC and love Sony porting their games, however:

Unrealistically, I think they should:

1. Purchase Square and/or From Software (Can they even do that?)
2. If Microsoft are going full console exclusive with all their IP then go on a Full Exclusive - Only On Playstation Strategy (Maybe stop porting for PC in the process? hum...)
3. Develop a competitive Multi-Player FPS that can compete with COD (Good Luck)
4. Stop PS+ and start their own GamePass (Spartacus?) subscription with Day One releases included.

I know the No-Pc thing is questionable but with so many quality studios + Square and From IPs, buying a Playstation + Spartacus will be impossible to miss if you love video games.

Or they can announce Knack 3 and dominate the market for another 50 years.
This was what I thought they should do as well for the most part. Originally it was Capcom instead of Square for me since I thought resident evil, devil may cry, and street fighter would have been a better buy for me personally.

On point 3 I do think they should aim for a their own multiplayer fps or several even, since Microsoft has cod, halo, and doom.

Why would they stop ps+ when they have ( I thought) like over 40 million subscribers to it. They should simply enhance it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom