• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which country has the most diversity?

Best country for diversity?

• USA

Votes: 76 59.4%
  • Brazil

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Canada

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • UK

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • France

• South Africa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mexico

• North Korea

Votes: 6 4.7%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I would put the US as number 1, Brazil as #2, and Canada as #3.

I think that the US has the best all-around package, if you will, when it comes to diversity. Its white population is the most diverse of all the new world countries (people literally from any and every country in Europe). It doesn't really have one or two main nationalities that dominate the makeup of the white populations like in other new world countries such as Australia or Canada (i.e. Australia's white population is dominantly from the British Isles, and Canada's white population is still largely British Isles and French). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are the only ethnicities among people of European descent, but they are the majority for sure in these two particular countries. The US is more diversified here and doesn't have a group or two that really dominates like these other countries do. In addition, the US also has a massive black population derived both from the ancestors from the times of slavery, as well as from modern immigration, a massive Hispanic population (far from just being Mexicans, but tons and tons of people from Central America, the Caribbean, and South America too), and a substantial and ever-increasing Asian population (Asians have just overtaken Hispanics as the largest source of immigration to the USA as a matter of fact). The US is roughly 63% white as of 2020, a number that is lower than other comparable new world nations. The USA is also home to the city (NYC) with the most spoken languages on earth (numbering about 800 according to the NY Times), as well as many cities that are majority-minority or that have no racial majority. In the future too, as predicted by the 2010 US Census, the USA looks to add even more to it's overall diversity and will be by 2050, 45% white, 30% Hispanic, 13% Black, and 9% Asian (throw in the extra 2-3% for Hawaiian and Alaskan natives and Native Americans).

Brazil also has a wide variety of whites derived from many European nations (although not as many as the USA), and has the largest African population outside of Africa. It has a (small) Asian population, but it is almost entirely made up of people of Japanese decent. There isn't a whole lot of other Asian peoples there. I think Brazil is more mixed (although interracial marriages in the USA are at an all-time high (1 out of 7 I believe now) and are increasing drastically), but the USA is overall more diverse I think.

I would place Canada third, like I said. I believe the country is estimated to be around 80% or more white. Plus, as I stated above, that white population is still largely derived from the British Isles and France. Yes, Canada has a large born-oversees population, but that doesn't necessarily equal diverse. The large majority of these people immigrating to Canada are Asian (and come especially from China, HK, and India, etc.). The black and Hispanic populations of Canada are extremely small compared to the ones in the USA. Thus, I don't feel that Canada is as well-rounded in its diversity as the USA is. Another thing to remember about foreign-born populations is that different countries have different immigration systems and might only allow in a smaller % of people than other countries. Countries like Canada and Australia tend to be "easier" to immigrate to than the USA. The USA also has higher birthrates than both Canada and Australia and this, too, means that it doesn't necessarily mean that it needs a larger % of people to immigrate.

Last edited:
images

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For Canada, it's not as multicultural as it is promoted. For all of you who think Canada is an open bastion for anyone to come on over, it's not true in terms of people and location and background.

1. People are allowed to come over if they qualify on a point system questionnaire that is dug into by government. The higher education, money and English/French skills you have the higher the pts you get. If you got no skills, money and language, you'll get put at the bottom. You can get sponsored over, but that local has to prove to government they can cover the immigrant coming over

2. Most of the multiculturalism is heavily skewed to Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and maybe Ottawa. Probably 90% of non-white immigrants coming over go to those cities (I took a guess but cant be far off). If you drive 40 minutes out of town from the Toronto metro area (lets say drive up to Barrie) it's like 90%+ white people. East coast provinces are all probably 90% white, 5% natives and 5% every other minority

3. Most of the diversity in minorities is Asian (Indian and East Asian). There's hardly any Latinos and Black people in Canada.

As a ballpark, Canada is 70% white, 5% native, 25% minority.

7g13eDc.jpg

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
USA? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It’s the UK. We just discriminate based on social class rather than race.

Not to get political, but just look at each countries respective current and past Prime Ministers/Presidents.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hard to tell. UK is pretty diverse, especially in the big cities and towns. The only places I can think of that match the most diverse European nations are Brazil and US. There are however a lot of European nations that are practically still monocultures, although this is likely to change in the not too distant future.

The UK and a majority of other European nations will only get more diverse in the future. This isn't a bad thing BTW, just pointing out that the make up of these countries are rapidly changing.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It really just depends on how you define it. Some African countries have 250 ethnicities you've never even heard of, but everyone just thinks it's "black." Some countries have 40 different languages and drastically different ethnic and cultural groups. USA in contrast can be shockingly homogenous across most of the country. Who knows.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you bringing up lots of diversity in your cities or country, is it pretty spread out? Or is it like Canada here where most of the multiculturalism is very skewed to the big cities, while the surrounding towns and provinces with no big cities are almost all white?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It really just depends on how you define it. Some African countries have 250 ethnicities you've never even heard of, but everyone just thinks it's "black." Some countries have 40 different languages and drastically different ethnic and cultural groups. USA in contrast can be shockingly homogenous across most of the country. Who knows.
40 languages? 145 languages are spoken in my city.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
For those of you bringing up lots of diversity in your cities or country, is it pretty spread out? Or is it like Canada here where most of the multiculturalism is very skewed to the big cities, while the surrounding towns and provinces with no big cities are almost all white?
In the states it's all in big cities on the coasts and Texas

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You guys bring up good points above about language and ethnicities. There's more to it than just looks. Three white dudes with British roots. One guy moves to Hong Kong, one moves to Brazil, the last guy stays in UK. At first glance, most people will assume it's 3 whities from European descent and all the same mold. But in reality, can be totally different and speak different languages.

But like everything in life, visuals matter a lot, so the first thing people do is assume and group people together by appearance first.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I recall reading that Africa is actually the most genetically diverse continent in the world. Which makes sense, since it was only a small group of people that migrated out of africa initially.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Based on ethnic groups, probably some country in Africa. Many countries there have many, many different ethnic groups.

If you're talking race in the traditional sense, no idea. Probably a toss up between the US and UK.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Japan and Sweden are probably #1 and #2 based on my exhaustive studies on the topic.
Japan? No way:

(July 2021 est.) - Japanese 97.9%, Chinese 0.6%, Korean 0.4%, other 1.1% (includes Vietnamese, Filipino, and Brazilian)

That's not real diverse, buddy.
According to Kim Jong Un, NK is made up of 100 diverse ethnicities at 1% each. State media did research and confirms it.
Sounds legit.

20cent

Banned
A country where 90%+ of its population would be referred as "diversity" in other western countries doesn't make it a country with most diversity
sgUka1K.png

Lasha

You guys bring up good points above about language and ethnicities. There's more to it than just looks. Three white dudes with British roots. One guy moves to Hong Kong, one moves to Brazil, the last guy stays in UK. At first glance, most people will assume it's 3 whities from European descent and all the same mold. But in reality, can be totally different and speak different languages.

But like everything in life, visuals matter a lot, so the first thing people do is assume and group people together by appearance first.

A lecturer did a test to highlight this. He divided the class into groups and put the 4 white students into a group. When the class was asked which group was most "diverse" nobody picked that group. In reality, every other group was either all indian, Chinese, or local. The non diverse white group was an American, a German, a Russian, and an Aussie. Definitely eye opening.

I think US or Brazil are the most diverse in terms of races, languages, and ethnicities. The UK is pretty uniform outside of London. Most of Europe is similarly homogenous. India is probably the most diverse if race is taken out of the equation given it's melange of languages and cultures. They still have practicing Zoroastrians ffs.

Batiman

Banned
For Canada, it's not as multicultural as it is promoted. For all of you who think Canada is an open bastion for anyone to come on over, it's not true in terms of people and location and background.

1. People are allowed to come over if they qualify on a point system questionnaire that is dug into by government. The higher education, money and English/French skills you have the higher the pts you get. If you got no skills, money and language, you'll get put at the bottom. You can get sponsored over, but that local has to prove to government they can cover the immigrant coming over

2. Most of the multiculturalism is heavily skewed to Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and maybe Ottawa. Probably 90% of non-white immigrants coming over go to those cities (I took a guess but cant be far off). If you drive 40 minutes out of town from the Toronto metro area (lets say drive up to Barrie) it's like 90%+ white people. East coast provinces are all probably 90% white, 5% natives and 5% every other minority

3. Most of the diversity in minorities is Asian (Indian and East Asian). There's hardly any Latinos and Black people in Canada.

As a ballpark, Canada is 70% white, 5% native, 25% minority.

[/URL]

7g13eDc.jpg
You’re right about Canada as a whole. But Toronto itself is the most multicultural city in the world.

Tams

Gold Member
I'd say UK. At the end of the war and end of the empire, we pretty much threw the doors open. Mix in lots of people wanting to come to the UK just because we speak English and you have a lot of diversity.

Faux-whatever 'heritage'-Americans don't count. And there's the simple fact that two massive fucking oceans prevent a lot of migration there. And until fairly recently, you couldn't get, say, a decent curry there to save your life.

Germany and Sweden are catching up. Though there I'm not sure it's really so much the celebrated type of multiculturalism and diversity. In fact, I'd go more towards monocultures in one country there.

Africa, perhaps. Though while many of the country lines have been drawn through tribal areas, it's often four or five different tribes in a country and not much more. I'm not caught up on intra-African migration though. South Africa might have good claim.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I would say the the UK, the little city of Leicester has the biggest Diwali Festival outside of india!

I do think an issue with Leicester is though, communities are not really mixed together, they are pretty much segregated.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Japan and Sweden are probably #1 and #2 based on my exhaustive studies on the topic.

I know this is a joke where you're naming the two countries you believe are the least diverse on the planet, and while Japan certainly ranks among those, Sweden does not. This idea some have that Sweden is 99% white and homogenous or whatever is wildly inaccurate. Over 25% of our population are immigrants or children of immigrants (over 30% if you include those who have only one immigrant parent). There are no statistics for third generation immigrants. Of course many of these people are from countries near Sweden, but we've also had a comparatively very large immigration from very different cultures (Africa, Middle East). In total something like 20% of Sweden's population are "visible minorities" (i.e. not white).

Not trying to argue that Sweden is one of the most diverse or anything, but many people (especially Americans I think) have the very wrong idea that Sweden has basically no diversity at all. It comes up in discussions like this all the time.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

You are going to have a hard time finding solid data on this as Countries define it differently and some like mine (France) don't want to count it for historical reasons.

Also Every time I see a census about this in English, all the categories seemed made up from the political trends of the day.
Don't forget you had Irish as a race in your census not long ago.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Spend one day in the UK and you won't think it is the USA.

I rarely hear English being spoken if I leave my home anymore.

The kids that play on the grass in front of my house look like an advertisement for diversity.

I think most countries that speak English will have the largest diverse number of people as most people can speak a bit if English so why not move here or secondary the USA.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Right now I think it’s Qatar
/s

Exactly. I came back in here expecting someone to have posted the inevitable data that proves everyone in the thread wrong, but GAF is a bit slower than it used to be these days.

No, I haven’t searched for the data myself. But if we don’t just define diversity according to skin color, we’re definitely bound to find a lot of diversity in places where most people look pretty homogeneous at face value.

Is it really that hard to tell? Meanwhile, this is "America: The Thread". Actual diverse countries: Italy and Spain. Stitched together from numerous kingdoms with their own languages and traditions. In this thread: let's judge solely based on skin colour, it's so diverse!
Japan is probably the most homogeneous country on earth.

It doesn't even really have different cultures among their population.

Britain, as an example, has multiple cultural groups within their "white" population.

So, that's Scots, English, Welsh, Irish - or, more specifically, Celts, those with Saxon blood, Viking blood, French and Norman, the ancient Britons, even some faint traces of Roman blood.

Japan doesn't really have that, and is quite similar to Korea as a nation with almost no racial or ethnic diversity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are we talking race here or culture?
Nobody really knows because everyone's definition of diverse is different.

Most people go on looks or language of some sort.

But here's another metric that can also be part of diversity nobody talks about. Setting. Urban vs rural. Lets face it. There's a big difference between city folk and someone living in a small town or farm country. Their "culture" and lifestyles will be totally different. So any country with heavy urban hubs will have more like minded city folks than a country that is spread out 50/50 city/rural.

Top Bottom