• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which cRPG had the most immersion for you?

Fools idol

Banned
My top 3 picks;

1. Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of amn

The daddy, the GOAT, the legend. The world of forgotten realms, Athkatla specifically, was a pleasure to explore. Detailed and rich (for the time) backgrounds and cozy taverns galore. The depth of writing and gameplay mechanics has still not been met to this day if you ask me, I spend well over 1000 hours in this game back in the day.

2. Divinity Original Sin 2

The modern day classic, whilst I wasn't as huge a fan of this combat system as many were (I felt the original was better) the freedom and world were incredible. The way you can manipulate the world to do pretty much whatever you want, and kill all the npc's and the game world just adapting was stellar. Again, spent a good 500 hours in there. Off the beaten track in the woods there is plenty to discover and the added level of dark humour sprinkled in made exploration really interesting. I devoured every corner of that map.

3. Wasteland 3

The best isometric post apocalypse world ever created imho. Timeless game with a ton of replay ability, fully voice acted, this is the Fallout 3/4 we deserved but never got from Bethesda.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Maybe Fallout 1/2 as the oppressive difficulty of those games ties in really well with the completely hostile world they're set in.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've just started with this genre and yeah, BGII is immersive as fuck.

The writting, characters (even lesser ones), quest design... Everything is so well done, and those prerendered scenarios only help with immersion since they are also well done, pretty and quite varied.

Can't wait to dive into more games like this.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I've just started with this genre and yeah, BGII is immersive as fuck.

The writting, characters (even lesser ones), quest design... Everything is so well done, and those prerendered scenarios only help with immersion since they are also well done, pretty and quite varied.

Can't wait to dive into more games like this.

Oh man, you are playing BG2 for the first time in 2022? you are in for a treat.

You could tell me that game came out last year and I would believe you (indie graphics as a pass lol). It's so good. I am jealous. If I could erase my brain and play again I would do it.

Play Pillars of Eternity next!

Mercador

Funny, I just went back to DOS2 yesterday, I haven't yet still finished Act 1, 23 hours in. It triggers a fear of missing out that's not fun, that's probably why I left the game often.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

You could tell me that game came out last year and I would believe you (indie graphics as a pass lol). It's so good. I am jealous. If I could erase my brain and play again I would do it.

You say you are jealous, meanwhile I'm over here trying to get Vin Diesel to meet his grandpa on some cool ass planar sphere. Extreme suffering inside that thing, I tell ya!

Nah but jokes aside, I'm 30+ hours in and really amazed at how well this game does some things, much better than modern "RPGs" like The Witcher or Elder Scrolls games, imo.

Almost every quest throws you for a loop, either subverting your expectations (gotta deal with a cult? Nah it's actually a beholder! gotta help some land lord get back his lands? nah he's actually a dragon and he's fucking you up) or sending you to the most inventive places I've seen, like the already mentioned planar sphere.

The first Baldur's Gate, to me it felt a lot more open than the second game and really captured that feeling of forming a party and going into the world.

Baldur's Gate II already has some stuff I'm not a big fan of like romance options and higher level D&D nonsense.

Last edited:

Jennings

Fallout 1. Far and away my number one choice of all time. Bought and played at release.

Icewind Dale 2. Bought and played at release.

Even though Icewind Dale 2 is much lighter in story and dialogue than other cRPG series, I was locked into the setting and world from moment one.

As for Fallout, I have never been so immersed in a game world and setting in my life. That game redefined story telling for me. And there's never been a better game manual that delivers on all fronts, thematically, artistically, and informatively.

No honorable mentions for me because nothing else has come close.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
As for Fallout, I have never been so immersed in a game world and setting in my life. That game redefined story telling for me. And there's never been a better game manual that delivers on all fronts, thematically, artistically, and informatively.

These days, whats the best version to play Fallout 1? The GOG release? or Steam? I heard mixed things for both.

I'm new to this genre but so far I really liked Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity. I'm currently working on their respective sequels. Also waiting for a sale on Divinity and Baldur's Gate games. Pathfinder Kingmaker was pretty good too!

I came in to post about how I'm probably an outlier by posting wasteland 3, but right in the op lol

The world is fucking absurd (in the best way), but I'll be damned if I didn't feel like I was a part of it

KXVXII9X

I haven't tried many, but Divinity Original Sin 2 without a doubt is one of the most immersive games I have played due to the amount of freedom and experimentation.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

My top 3 picks;

1. Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of amn

The daddy, the GOAT, the legend. The world of forgotten realms, Athkatla specifically, was a pleasure to explore. Detailed and rich (for the time) backgrounds and cozy taverns galore. The depth of writing and gameplay mechanics has still not been met to this day if you ask me, I spend well over 1000 hours in this game back in the day.

2. Divinity Original Sin 2

The modern day classic, whilst I wasn't as huge a fan of this combat system as many were (I felt the original was better) the freedom and world were incredible. The way you can manipulate the world to do pretty much whatever you want, and kill all the npc's and the game world just adapting was stellar. Again, spent a good 500 hours in there. Off the beaten track in the woods there is plenty to discover and the added level of dark humour sprinkled in made exploration really interesting. I devoured every corner of that map.

3. Wasteland 3

The best isometric post apocalypse world ever created imho. Timeless game with a ton of replay ability, fully voice acted, this is the Fallout 3/4 we deserved but never got from Bethesda.
Baldur's Gate II lovers, I've been circling this game for a while and haven't played it. Looking to change that. Whats the best way to play it in 2022?

Crayon

Skyrim in vr. It's not the best vr port/mod, but damn I love it. Up to that point I had played so much skyrimm I thought I would never go back, but vr gave it new life.

It's the only way I'll play the game now. It's funny because I can only make progress very slowly because things are very stimulating in vr and I may find myself rummaging through a shelf much longer than I usually would. Or exploring a random drauger den. When I get a chance to play, I'mm like... "time to go to skyrim" and it does feel like I'm going there. I like to do really long sessions on it so I get "vr head". I call it vr head because it feels a little like tripping from sleep deprivation. When I take off the headset for a bathroom break it's like my apartment seems fake and it's skyrim that's real.

Zug

Baldur's Gate II lovers, I've been circling this game for a while and haven't played it. Looking to change that. Whats the best way to play it in 2022?
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Trilogy : https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate:_Enhanced_Edition_Trilogy
It allows a seamless adventure from BG1 to the end of the BG2 expansion, 300ish hours of awesomeness !

As for the most atmospheric cRPG, I would say Icewind Dale (1 and 2). Graphics and music are the best out of the Infinity engine games.

Fools idol

Banned

The enhanced trilogy as posted above. It's a big time commitment, but the games hold up near 100% today if you ask me. It's one of the very rare instances of a game retaining all of it's appeal over a long span of time.

Denton

How do you define CRPGs? Do they have to be top down/isometric?

In that case,

Fallout 1
Fallout 1.5: Resurrection
Fallout 2
Wasteland 3

But if I include first/third person RPGs, then

Kingdom Come Deliverance
Witcher 3
Gothic
Gothic 2 NOTR
Gothic: Archolos
Enderal
Cyberpunk 2077
Deus Ex

We should have more crpgs, it's sad to see they're all almost dead with a few exceptions. That being said, I gotta try out Baldurs Gate 2 if people love it that much

This could not be further from the truth. Again if CRPG means top down computer RPGs, there are plenty of them made in last few years, some that immediately come to mind..

Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Disco Elysium
Tyranny
Underrail
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous
Death Trash
Solasta
Gamedec
Shadowrun Trilogy
ATOM RPG
ATOM Trudograd
Encased
Divinity OS
Divinity OS2
Wasteland 2
Wasteland 3
Expeditions: Rome

Last edited:
MV5BNDA3Mzc3ODQtZmJmZC00NGM1LTkyZGQtM2Q0MWMwOWU0NGFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
How do you define CRPGs? Do they have to be top down/isometric?

In that case,

Fallout 1
Fallout 1.5: Resurrection
Fallout 2
Wasteland 3

But if I include first/third person RPGs, then

Kingdom Come Deliverance
Witcher 3
Gothic
Gothic 2 NOTR
Gothic: Archolos
Enderal
Cyberpunk 2077
Deus Ex

This could not be further from the truth. Again if CRPG means top down computer RPGs, there are plenty of them made in last few years, some that immediately come to mind..

Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Disco Elysium
Tyranny
Underrail
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous
Death Trash
Solasta
Gamedec
Shadowrun Trilogy
ATOM RPG
ATOM Trudograd
Encased
Divinity OS
Divinity OS2
Wasteland 2
Wasteland 3
Expeditions: Rome
I thought crpgs were exclusively isometric
I guess they just have to be pc exclusive lol

Last edited:

Denton

What? You are wrong on both counts, plenty of those CRPGs have console versions.

That's why I would like for OP to define what he means by CRPG.

To me it means "Top down or isometric RPG made primarily for PC".

Fallout 1 & 2 for sure, easily the most atmospheric isometric video games i've ever played.

These days, whats the best version to play Fallout 1? The GOG release? or Steam? I heard mixed things for both.

GOG release for both, with the couple of mods - Fallout Fixt for Fallout 1, Restoration Project for Fallout 2 - to improve the imagine quality (higher res), fix bugs, improve the user interface, add some cut content, generally polish the experience up as much as possible. You're in for a treat, they're so much better than 3 or New Vegas.

They're also infinitely easier to get into. There are some guys out there that tell me the contrary, but i don't know what they smoke. I feel that effortlessly pointing your mouse and physically clicking on a detailed isometric plane is far more convenient and intuitive than fumbling through a shitty, slow as ice, 3D engine that requires a mod manager, at least about 50 mods, arranging them to function so they don't fuck the game(s).

Eh, i don't wanna ramble. You're in for a treat.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Trilogy : https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate:_Enhanced_Edition_Trilogy
It allows a seamless adventure from BG1 to the end of the BG2 expansion, 300ish hours of awesomeness !

As for the most atmospheric cRPG, I would say Icewind Dale (1 and 2). Graphics and music are the best out of the Infinity engine games.

Well what do we have here? I didn't know this.

Now i'm fucked, this is my free time for the next few months.

Fredrik

What? You are wrong on both counts, plenty of those CRPGs have console versions.

That's why I would like for OP to define what he means by CRPG.

To me it means "Top down or isometric RPG made primarily for PC".

I thought CRPG just meant Computer Role-Playing Game and immersive means, well, immersive, as in first person 🤷‍♂️

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The Bard's Tale 4 Director's Cut
It's such a beautiful game with a great story.

It has an outstanding authentic Celtic soundtrack sung in Gaelic which really adds to the immersion.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
That music kinda makes me wanna try it. Sounds so nice.
It's really a good game and the music is amazing. There are a couple of spots in the game I would just hang out and listen to the music loop over and over again. Listening to that soundtrack makes me want to play it again. I wish I didn't have such a huge backlog on Game Pass.

Crayon

Denton Denton
Enderal is fucking amazing. I'd put that and cyberpunk up at the top for immersion.

If you have skyrim, you have enderal. It's a tc mod with it's own steam page so you don't actually have to do any modding. Highly reccomended and better than skyrim in a laundry list of ways.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

The enhanced trilogy as posted above. It's a big time commitment, but the games hold up near 100% today if you ask me. It's one of the very rare instances of a game retaining all of it's appeal over a long span of time.
Thanks, guys. I bought it for like $5 off based on your feedback! Installing now.

Holammer

Planescape Torment. You can replay it multiple times and still discover new shit and the amount of text is ridiculous, but it's well written and sucks you into the setting. The music and voice acting top notch.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
So what did you think?
Thanks for asking!

I just got out of the initial dungeon. Most salient first impressions are that:

1) I had to look up a couple points in the dungeon in order to progress, but looking back, it was set up to teach you what I assume are going to be essentials very well
2) The writing is fantastic. Serious lack of cringe so far. What cringe there is seems intentional, and the characters are well-defined
3) Having played Divinity Original Sin 2 as my main cRPG touchpoint, I'm surprised to see so many of its systems already in place in a game from 2000.

I just got through the cutscene in the opening village where the guy who I assume was imprisoning me absolutely obliterates everyone around him. Makes me wonder why he didn't kill me and my entire party yet.

The main things keeping me from diving in headfirst and absolutely devouring this game are: 1) For whatever reason, I prefer my fantasy to be historically-based--I like having a real setting as a launchpad rather than pure "this takes place in a fantasy world that is NOT EARTH" and 2) knowing that there are potentially 100 hours ahead of me.

TintoConCasera

I just got through the cutscene in the opening village where the guy who I assume was imprisoning me absolutely obliterates everyone around him. Makes me wonder why he didn't kill me and my entire party yet.
So you started off with Baldur's Gate II?

I just beat that game, clocked in 60 hours and did lots of side stuff. No 100 hours game by any means at least by my experience. Really loved the game.

I'm having some trouble with the expansion Throne of Bhaal tho. It seems much more linear and rushed than the main game, not sure if I'll finish this up.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
So you started off with Baldur's Gate II?

I just beat that game, clocked in 60 hours and did lots of side stuff. No 100 hours game by any means at least by my experience. Really loved the game.

I'm having some trouble with the expansion Throne of Bhaal tho. It seems much more linear and rushed than the main game, not sure if I'll finish this up.
I did start with BG II. I got the Enhanced Edition after reading around online different places. Seemed like it'd be an easier entry point and the better game. So if I like/don't like it I can go back for One or know for sure its not for me

TintoConCasera

I did start with BG II. I got the Enhanced Edition after reading around online different places. Seemed like it'd be an easier entry point and the better game. So if I like/don't like it I can go back for One or know for sure its not for me
I'd say it's a much, much better game than the first one. That said, you are starting a game with level 8-ish characters so you might already have some items and tons of spells which you might not know what they do or how they work.

But if you manage to learn all that stuff it'll be worth it for sure. I just beat it some days ago for the first time and I think it's already my favorite RPG.

Shifty

Ctrl + F "Torment"

Less of a landslide than I expected.

Disco Elysium for me, and not just because it's the only one I've actually played.

Season 11 Yes GIF by Masterchef

samoilaaa

its a tie for me between wasteland 3 and divinity original sin 2 with a slight advantage to dos 2 but if the full bg3 will be as good as the early access or even better it will definetly take the crown , larian combined the storytelling of 3rd person action adventure games with the complexity of crpgs , for me its the perfect game

the story is intriguing , the enviornment has a mystery feeling to it that makes me wanna explore everything

Fools idol

Banned
Just installed Icewind Dale today and started a new run. I don't think I played it through to the end back in the days. A few hours in and damn, it's so good.

I miss this era of games like crazy.

Top Bottom