• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which dev makes the best FPS?

Best FPS dev?

• ID

• Respawn

• Valve

• Dice

• Treyarch

• other, specify

• Bungie

• Machine Games

Results are only viewable after voting.

Keihart

Multiplayer? The Rainbow Six Siege team, i don't think there is anything even remotely comparable.
Singleplayer? Respawn, never a boring campaing.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Of the current FPS devs I think MachineGames does the best work, but the STALKER series still has some of the best shooting ever developed, so I hope STALKER 2 hits that mark again.

Haggard

Banned
Heavily depends on the genre imho
It's a stretch to put something like Doom in the same basket as Battlefield.

Ezquimacore

Banned
voidpoint llc

Ion-Fury-3.jpg

EDMIX

I actually think majority of that list does a great job for the FPS they are making based on theme, genre etc. FPS is just too broad btw as someone can like horror and feel ID does a great job with Doom or someone can like MP titles and feel DICE does a better job etc.

Look at Resident Evil 7 and 8, Dying Light 1 and 2, Bioshock, Fallout series. Lots of games in the first person perspective and many do great jobs, so I feel we'd need to narrow that down a bit based on genre as I don't really see "FPS" as a genre anymore then I see third person as that is simply a perspective. Its how you view the game, its not WHAT the game is about....

So I agree with a few on here that are questioning are we talking about mechanics, multiplayer, movement etc?

So I'd say DICE, Epic and ID are in a league all their own.

intbal

Looking Glass

Ultima Underworld
Ultima Underworld 2
System Shock
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
Thief: The Dark Project
System Shock 2
Thief 2

That's it. Their entire FPS catalog. Not all shooters, precisely. But first person perspective games heavy on action and interactivity.
Absolute Legends.

LordKite

Neo Member
IW or Battlestate Games. MW2019 and Escape from Tarkov are the two most fun, satisfying gunplay games I've played in years, for utterly different reasons.

MW was effortless fun action for me, while Tarkov is immersive, deliberate gameplay that I can't get enough of.

Much better for me than Doom/Eternal or Titanfall, or Destiny or Halo.

You be hard pressed to beat the team behind Destiny 2 for atmosphere (is there anything that looks as remotely impressive as this?) and the team behind COD (latest one) for S class shooting tightness and feel.

I actually think majority of that list does a great job for the FPS they are making based on theme, genre etc. FPS is just too broad btw as someone can like horror and feel ID does a great job with Doom or someone can like MP titles and feel DICE does a better job etc.

Look at Resident Evil 7 and 8, Dying Light 1 and 2, Bioshock, Fallout series. Lots of games in the first person perspective and many do great jobs, so I feel we'd need to narrow that down a bit based on genre as I don't really see "FPS" as a genre anymore then I see third person as that is simply a perspective. Its how you view the game, its not WHAT the game is about....

So I agree with a few on here that are questioning are we talking about mechanics, multiplayer, movement etc?

So I'd say DICE, Epic and ID are in a league all their own.
Wow this made me think about the thread different. I answered the poll as iD automatically thinking of FPS in the classical sense but now that I think about it...it's not that simple. I wouldn't categorize BioShock, an immersive-sim-lite, with iD games for example. For the purposes of the thread, which asked about FPS specifically, I'd still go with iD overall but I agree that fp is a perspective not a genre

Kuranghi

Its hard to decide between the Wolfenstein reboot, Doom 2016 and Titanfall 2 but the latter felt so good to play and the weapons were excellent fun to use. I only played it this year for the first time as well.

Shmunter

Dice with original Mirrors Edge. It’s fusion of platforming and FPS action is still to be matched.

Last edited:
Treyarch in the past.

Black Ops 1 and 2 were amazing IMO. Some of the best campaign and multiplayer experiences I've had.

If not them, then OG Bungie for me. Halo 2 and 3, yes please.

Vagswarm

Now this is a hard one. Respawn and Bungie have real crisp gameplay. Bungie has actual gameworlds / franchises though. ID are the pioneers and still make great games. Loved both Doom 2016 and Eternal + DLCs. Half Life is simply extraordinary, and has a real solid core gameplay at the base. Every weapon feels unique and ammo is scarce, making them all feel very important. Not even mentioning everything else.

The ranking would probably go ID > Valve > Bungie > Respawn, with the closest being between ID and Valve.

I haven't even played Battlefield to comment on Dice. Also enjoyed all the Borderlands game a lot; probably put Gearbox behind Respawn.

Last edited:
The only FPS that impressed me in terms of gameplay in recent years was Dusk.

There is no shortage of boomer shooters these days, but that’s the only one that accounted for the gap between what the older games it is patterned after were really like and the idealized way I remembered them. It felt as fresh as those games did back then.

Sophist

i would say Valve because of
  • Half-life.
  • Team fortress.
  • Left 4 Dead.
  • Portal.
  • Counter-Strike.
5 series that made video gaming history.

Artistic

343(for continuing Halo), Infinity Ward(provides the best COD experience), Bungie(for creating Halo), Valve(HL/L4D alone), Respawn(TF1 was one of the best MP games ever) in order.

Flutta

Banned
Hard to say. It all boils down to what type of FPS games you play and enjoy.

Best MP i’ve played during my time would be.

DICE - BF3/4
Bungie - Destiny
GG - Killzone 2
Valve - CS

amscanner

I think it's still Bungie. The gunplay of Destiny is smooth af, it almost feels like addictive arcade game not fps. That's the reason why people is still playing Destiny despite of its shitty contents for years.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

It's a hard call to name just one, i voted Bungie for Halo (haven't played destiny), Treyarch for black ops and the zombie modes (i love them), ID no explanations needed, and the 'others name it' is Guerrilla because Killzone is most beloved shooter despite Shadow Fall lol.

Guerilla Games

KILLZONE 2 is the best FPS of all time
My breh!

Top Bottom