• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Devs do you expect to shine graphically Next-Gen (PS5/XSX)

Shmunter

While we expect 1st party devs to push visual fidelity with next gen only games, I’m personally looking forward to Massive Entertainment with their Snowdrop engine.

Playing the Division 2 on PS5 the, gfx are truly remarkable. The environmental density, the physics, the lighting and the volumetrics really ground the image. And this is using a current gen engine with current gen limitations. I fully expect these devs to blow us away if they were to cut ties with Jaguar and focus on the new baseline.

images

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Xbox: Playground Games
PS: Sucker Punch, Guerilla
Nintendo: Guys behind The Touryst (sorry, can't remember the name, it's 100% pain)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
As others have already mentioned, Naughty Dog. They're home to Sony's ICE Team, who basically research endless ways to push the hardware to the max and make developer tools on the platform more efficient. I imagine the other in-house studios have access to their expertise, but when the teams at ND can just walk over to their offices it must make it way easier for them.

sublimit

Banned
I think this gen Sucker Punch and Insomniac will surpass even Naughty Dog and SSM. Sucker Punch did some weird magic with the loading times for GoT on PS4,a knowledge that Sony also took advantage for the PS5's loading times. So i really expect big things this gen from SP on the technical front.

Guerilla will also shine but only when they start to design with only the PS5 in their minds.

kikkis

So far only ue5 has shown next gen like rendering techniques. It's nanite tech is exception to the rule in that despite heavy comparisions of different engines on message boards, game engines rendering side is very similar engine to engine. However nanite is something completely new and different.

Based on this thread i think people generally underestimate that in order to push graphics forward with new techniques you need people with incredible domain knowledge of particular rendering issue. And there is only a handful of those people in the world and they are generally snatched by epic or unity since they can offer better wages at least epic can. Ofc big publishers can also get those employees as well.

Last gen we didn't really see a whole lot of new rendering tech that drastically improved graphics. Pbr is one but its more of a productivity gain than pure graphics gain. Usually better Constrained games win ie. 3rd person linear game, but next gen even open world games could look competitive to rest of the games due to ssds. Though i guess you could do short linear game where the assets are just enormous.

Another point is thar ps5 devs have this gen major advantage to third parties since they don't have to make games with series s in mind.

I wonder if Naughty Dog will go 60fps now that everyone seems to love it (and for good reason). It might not be as big a leap from them as we saw PS3 to PS4 but then again these machines are much better all round than the last gen ones so maybe a bigger leap in some ways as we know they will have the budget.

If Rockstar go all in on GTA6 it will no doubt look insane as even GTA5 holds up (on PC at least not played the console versions) and that is a PS360 game at its core and RDR2 obviously looks amazing.

Pantz

Gold Member
Asobo

A Plague Tale was really refreshing having it's own graphics engine and not being just another Unreal game.
Wonder if they will make another game like this.

FrozenFlame

4A Games (Next Metro game) and Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima 2). Also, even if everything Dice made after BF4 was disappointing to me, I think they're the ones that truly are going to make me impressed with the next gen hardware. So, let's hope for the same graphics quality (or better), bigger maps, more players and destructible environment (levolution 2.0).

saintjules

Whoever has the deepest pockets

Yeah. I remember when Digital Foundry's Richard mentioned in one of the early RDR 2 analysis videos...He said if you have the time, money, and ublimitrd resources, you can achieve xyz. This is what separates developers from each other.

So yeah, money put into the games will make those games really feel like the next generation from a graphical standpoint I feel.

Last edited:

Ellery

I think most of them are going to deliver with Naughty Dog being the clear #1, but other games from Santa Monica, Guerilla Games, Rockstar, Square Enix, Gears people, Forza people, CD Projekt RED, EA and others are also going to look next gen worthy.

Like others have pointed out the jump might not be as drastic for 4k 60fps games as one would hope, because the resolution and framerate increase simply take up way too much performance on their own. Personally I am very happy that we have this "movement" towards 60fps games and I would be happy if most games (especially faster games) adopt this. Not every single game needs to, but I would definitely find myself using 60fps a lot.

Given that we have seen console games already adapting graphic options offering a variety of effects/resolution and framerate sliders we are in for a juicy generation and whenever the day will come we will know what next gen looks like. It might be as early as Battlefield 6 or as late as the next ND PS5 exclusive.

It also will be a process with the very best looking games coming out in 5-6 years from now, but starting in 2023 we will see what it means to have a new standard for graphics.

naughty dog will have impressive cutscenes and that's about it. not that i'll be touching any of their games again.

GTA VI will kick ass. RDR2 is 2 and a half years old now...

iu

49021969287_faf891cafb_o.png

imagine how much they've improved R.A.G.E since especially now they are developing for PS5/Series X.

and you all might laugh but i'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077's PS5/XSX update. of course, we already have PC footage (and consoles won't look better than that...). whatever game they put out next, probably Witcher 4, will be stunning. i was looking at Witcher 3 screenshots today and still impressed how good it looks.

66spo2qhvh461.png

6bh6jSa.jpg

Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, DICE, Remedy, The Coalition, Turn 10, Polyphony, Guerrilla, Kojima Productions (no joke, even if Kojima makes weird games he always tries to make his games look as close to a CG movie as he can), Ubisoft (we'll probably have an "AC Unity moment" again with the next AC. Hopefully with less bugs). Those are my main bets.
But I also think we could see some impressive graphical stuff from Ninja Theory, Capcom (with the RE Engine), Insomniac, Sucker Punch, CD Projekt Red, id Software and Infinity Ward with the new engine they used in the MW reboot.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
naughty dog will have impressive cutscenes and that's about it. not that i'll be touching any of their games again.

GTA VI will kick ass. RDR2 is 2 and a half years old now...

iu

49021969287_faf891cafb_o.png

imagine how much they've improved R.A.G.E since especially now they are developing for PS5/Series X.

and you all might laugh but i'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077's PS5/XSX update. of course, we already have PC footage (and consoles won't look better than that...). whatever game they put out next, probably Witcher 4, will be stunning. i was looking at Witcher 3 screenshots today and still impressed how good it looks.

66spo2qhvh461.png

6bh6jSa.jpg
Cyberpunk is the equivalent of spray painting dogshit golden.

every single mechanical part behind that game’s logic is trash.

Rdr2 is impressive but it controls like an oil tanker.

naughty dog games are industry leading in animation. But the actual gameplay is as deep as a petri dish.

the issue is the amount of cash tied to project these days. And this simply limits the creative freedom/risk that comes with it.
If you want refreshing ideas you are better off playing indies.

if you want butting edge gfx.
You are stuck with AAA games..

Damn shame
A fluke is death stranding..
It actually tried.. and got punished for it🤢

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Sony games on PS5 most definetly, the XSS is what, 3. 5x PS4 GPU? Only 3 GB RAM more Not that its not gonna be a big jump, but games designed for PlayStation should look even more amazing.

Rockstar will release something unbelievable for all platforms though

Astral Dog

Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, DICE, Remedy, The Coalition, Turn 10, Polyphony, Guerrilla, Kojima Productions (no joke, even if Kojima makes weird games he always tries to make his games look as close to a CG movie as he can), Ubisoft (we'll probably have an "AC Unity moment" again with the next AC. Hopefully with less bugs). Those are my main bets.
But I also think we could see some impressive graphical stuff from Ninja Theory, Capcom (with the RE Engine), Insomniac, Sucker Punch, CD Projekt Red, id Software and Infinity Ward with the new engine they used in the MW reboot.
Basically Any company that has a AAA budget will release beautiful games, you forgot MOON studios <3
Even last gen games already looked gorgeous no matter from where, the only ugly games made today are for Switch imo. Depending on the artsyle/budget

VFXVeteran

Banned
Naughty Dog will once again make the best looking game of all time at the end of the gen.
That's a very tall order. They have their work cut out for them to get something even remotely on the scale of FS2020.

Rockstar with GTA 6 will be just stupid.
Agreed on Rockstar.

I think most companies will utilize the latest tech pretty evenly. Right now, UE5 has the advantage because their main business is selling the engine and they also have bigger pockets than most studios save for MS.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
For the ones that already had games out, the same ones from last gen.

For new studios.....we will all have to just wait n see. I am expecting big things from The Initiative from MS.

Last edited:
That's a very tall order. They have their work cut out for them to get something even remotely on the scale of FS2020.
While FS2020 is impressive and definitely sets a high bar for next gen graphics but if you get to close to the ground in most areas it starts to look like crap especially in some of the videos I've seen of it , I'd expect end gen games from pc/ps5/series x to surpass it by then

VFXVeteran

Banned
While FS2020 is impressive and definitely sets a high bar for next gen graphics but if you get to close to the ground in most areas it starts to look like crap especially in some of the videos I've seen of it , I'd expect end gen games from pc/ps5/series x to surpass it by then
The game isn't a driving simulator. Their procedural algorithm isn't designed to run like a FPS or 3PS.

The maps are 8k, the lighting is the most complicated I've seen in a game (even without the use of ray-tracing) and the use of ambient occlusion to ground things with photogrammetry textures is all high bar. Lastly, the volumetric procedural shading with light propagation in clouds is truly something I've wanted to see in games for years.

All of this and it barely runs at 30FPS on the highest end graphics cards (3090).

Naughty Dog and other developers won't have anywhere near the budget or the scope to address the problems that FS2020 had to solve. So no, I don't think it will be surpassed.

The game isn't a driving simulator. Their procedural algorithm isn't designed to run like a FPS or 3PS.

The maps are 8k, the lighting is the most complicated I've seen in a game (even without the use of ray-tracing) and the use of ambient occlusion to ground things with photogrammetry textures is all high bar. Lastly, the volumetric procedural shading with light propagation in clouds is truly something I've wanted to see in games for years.

All of this and it barely runs at 30FPS on the highest end graphics cards (3090).

Naughty Dog and other developers won't have anywhere near the budget or the scope to address the problems that FS2020 had to solve. So no, I don't think it will be surpassed.
I guess we'll see there's quite some time yet untill near the end of the gen and it doesn't matter the scenice behind a game to me you can tell instantly if something looks better than something else without knowing the inner workings it's all visual.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I guess we'll see there's quite some time yet untill near the end of the gen and it doesn't matter the scenice behind a game to me you can tell instantly if something looks better than something else without knowing the inner workings it's all visual.
Well, true in some ways. The thing is watching out for bias and subjectivity. We all naturally think things will look better because the hardware is better and they can use more complex tech for their games. We have to stay consistent with that across the board. Tech will drive things to look better and better and FS2020 has the tech without a doubt.

skit_data

Im expecting both MS and Sony 1st party lineup to deliver some jaw dropping graphics, but Im actually more hyped for how indie development will be transformed through UE5. I think many of those ”Wow, thats crazy realistic”-moments may come out of nowhere in a way that was not possible before.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This has changed. Many of the 1st party companies are adapting their graphics engine to be portable to PC. A friend I know that used to work at ND told me they were refactoring their graphics engine for the PC ports to come.

Well, if that’s the case, then I don’t expect any devs to stand out from any others, if they all essentially have to design games to run on everything from a potato 1050 to a 3090.

Though I‘ve yet to see any confirmed evidence that Sony first party devs are now adapting engines to run on PC builds, rather than just Ps5.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Well, if that’s the case, then I don’t expect any devs to stand out from any others, if they all essentially have to design games to run on everything from a potato 1050 to a 3090.
There is still mixed talent in various game studios to judge by. We can't declare only 1st party developers are superior to every other company just because they make for one platform. That's a bit of a strong bias there.

The tech is pretty consistent from developer to developer. They have all the algorithms available. They just need to write the tools for their artists' needs. The OP is impressed with The Division 2. That's clearly not made for just one platform.

Though I‘ve yet to see any confirmed evidence that Sony first party devs are now adapting engines to run on PC builds, rather than just Ps5.
You have seen it already though. You'll see more just as the head of Sony has declared. Days Gone is the next title to be released on PC. Horizon, Death Stranding, Detroit, and many others that were only Sony games are now PC games. Just wait for the news to come out.

Three

Not to put down FS2020 but what's advanced about the lighting that you haven't seen in other games that you wanted to see for years?

I'm pretty sure driveclub did volumetric clouds and light propagation 7 years prior:

Top Bottom