• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games do the most to compel you to start a second playthrough?

kicker

Banned
For example, Nier Automata.

Throughout the game it's suggested that 'all of this has happened before'; In the very first mission of a normal playthrough the main characters die and you just restart from the beginning, so the idea of 'the game isn't over when it first ends' is planted in players. They also just outright say that you have only completed ending a or something like that.

I don't think there are many like this, but I have a suspicion most will be from Japanese devs, and a good portion will be jrpgs.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Awesome games that are short but allow you to build upon your arsenal in the 2nd playthrough: example Resident Evil.

Awesome games that are long but allow you a different experience through a player build: example Elder Scrolls.

(the 'awesome' part is the main requirement, otherwise there are too many new games vying for your time)

kicker

Banned
Awesome games that are short but allow you to build upon your arsenal in the 2nd playthrough: example Resident Evil.

Awesome games that are long but allow you a different experience through a player build: example Elder Scrolls.

(the 'awesome' part is the main requirement, otherwise there are too many new games vying for your time)
Yeah, I agree. Though I was really asking about games that compel an extra playthrough through extrinsic player motivation.

Coming from the game itself, not our desire to see different builds or armor sets or something. The game should suggest that there is a different experience to be had in terms of story, or an alteration of the first playthrough's experience.
I guess the thread title doesn't properly express that

I guess Elder scrolls games kinda count since they're rpgs and have faction choices and such.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Games i can instantly replay: Gameplay focused games with skippable videos and for obvious reasons sandbox games like Hitman
Games i can replay after some years: P&C Adventures and RTS
Games i can't replay ever: Story focused walk and talk cinematics

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
finally-awake-skyrim.gif

Matt_Fox

Yeah, I agree. Though I was really asking about games that compel an extra playthrough through extrinsic player motivation.

Coming from the game itself, not our desire to see different builds or armor sets or something. The game should suggest that there is a different experience to be had in terms of story, or an alteration of the first playthrough's experience.
I guess the thread title doesn't properly express that

I guess Elder scrolls games kinda count since they're rpgs and have faction choices and such.

I'd say the Quantic Dreams titles are perhaps what you're after, Detroit Become Human and Heavy Rain (although the principal 'routes' through those games are fairly defined, just the smaller details and little touches that alter).

mrmustard

Banned
I'd say the Quantic Dreams titles are perhaps what you're after, Detroit Become Human and Heavy Rain (although the principal 'routes' through those games are fairly defined, just the smaller details and little touches that alter).
I found it boring to replay them. Finished once, rest YouTube.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If it makes me really enjoy it..

To be more specific, it's more about what stops a game from being replayed. Like

- Unskippable cutscenes
- Forced walking
- Linearity / on rails
- Heavy on scripted action
- Heavy on in-game chattering
- Flashback sequences

F.ex., on my third run through Elden Ring now because it's void of those.. and like while Days Gone is an enjoyable game, I wouldn't ever want to touch it again because it has all of that.

So, replayable titles are those that have a fun gameplay loop that can be stringed together in a series, and often with well crafted bonuses and explorability along the way.

And appreciated how Dead Cells kinda have replayability more integrated so-to-speak.

Good to awesome is obvious. (Played Dead Nation I think 5-6 times)

Short is certainly also helping. (I will possibly play Limbo on every new platform it comes out)

Actually being different due to new difficulty that requires other tactics and other story consequences helps too.
I played Uncharted run and gun at first and at Crushing it became a Gears game heavily relying on cover.

Trophies might also be enough. If some require some other tactics I would not even have thought to do just that reminder can cahnge the way one has to play and sometimes change your opinion of a game when you can appreciate variation and what they also did beside the obvious routes.

Detroit, just the first level for Connor, what decisions lead to sort of very different results was very interesting and I played not even all as I realised later when watching some videos. The writing might not have been perfect in every aspect but damn was there actually variation in every scene and mutliple endings for every character far beyond choose yellow or magenta at one point and see a different end.

Good bad character evolution usually is very fake and irrelevant, but eg Vampire Bloodlines the very different kind of bonkers dialogue you get for Malkavian is just great. It does not strictly change the essence of the gameplay but it's WTF and sort of funny througout. Never got around to it, but I would imagine Nosferatu would also be quite different. The other classes, so the one I played originally, probably don't deviate too much, but having to adapt for three groups is already a major accomplishement from the writers and devs, imho, even accepting that many bugs might have been fed on this goal and workload.

Western rpg though I get about halfway through a new game and then something else comes along. Ex: Cyberpunk, witcher, mass effect
Adventure games because of the characters and vibe. Ex: Life is Strange, Naughty Dog games, David Cage games.

Last edited:

kungfuian

When you get to the end and you're just not ready for it to be done.

Souls family of games are some of the few I jump immediately back into. Bloodborne in particular I remember playing twice back to back and I've never done that in any other series.

Always fun starting the next run with a fully fleshed out build and stronger enemies.

Open world games with post main story content can be awesome in the same way.

xrnzaaas

With Nier games it's actually a slog in my opinion because you have to replay too much of (roughly) the same content. Sure the reward of cool new endings is there, but getting to it is a different matter.

For me it has to be a reasonably short game with some incentive to do a second playthrough. Like with TLoU1 - you can max out the skills, open the remaining secret areas and get trophies for the NG+ playthrough.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Games like the Mass Effect trilogy...Full Throttle (which sooo deserves a sequel or spin-off that it is a HUGE disappointment we won't get one..)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just recently The Last of Us, which is a prime example of how to make your game more appealing for a second play through.

Not only is there New Game Plus with two options, but there’s unlockable skins for Joel and Ellie as well as weapon skins. You’ve got game altering unlockables like exploding arrows, unlimited ammo, crafting, slow motion, and mirrored levels. Then there’s stuff like developer commentary.

It’s all so perfectly done that I quite literally started over again just to have fun fucking around laying waste to everything.

There has to be something different to see or a change in gameplay for me to replay a game. I mean a game like Nier Automata you need multiple playthroughs to get the full story. In a way I don't even consider the 3 main playthroughs as a playthrough. They are the full game and you NEED to do route A, B, and C/D. The game just gives you the option of quitting and feeling like you somewhat finished it. The rest of the endings are not really worth playing for I don't think.

Persona games I would replay because you don't always have the time to see everything in a single playthrough unless you follow a guide and I think that just takes the fun out of it. I remember playing Persona 5 and I missed a bunch of confidants out so I replay it and focused on the ones I missed. Of course in such a huge game like that, especially as a newcomer to the series, you might not know how some things work and miss out on them. You can go into a second playthrough with a better understanding of how the game works. I just finished Persona 3 Portable and I am thinking of playing through FES or waiting to see if the rumors of a Remake are true. I did the female playthrough so I will do male playthrough to see what I missed.

A game doesn't necessarily need a NG+ mode but it really helps. Souls games I might replay with NG+ even though not much changes except difficulty which is a large part of what makes those games fun.

I love BOTW but the thought of replaying it didn't really excite but now we have TOTK and it's "the same game" I am happy to play through it because it's different enough. The only way I'd replay BOTW is in Master Mode.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
For me, few single player games are not"one and done". Of those few I will always love Ratchet & Clank. The weapons are so different in a 2nd playtrought that I always had to play again.

Shifty1897

Nier games have a different definition of what an ending is, I don't think they apply here.

For games that encourage another playthrough, resident evil games and RPGs with New Game + do it right. Resident Evil 4, Mass Effect 1, and Chrono Trigger come to mind.

nkarafo

I usually get bored with game+ modes. One exception so far was The Surge for me. It's similar to Dark Souls, but unlike Dark Souls, the items you equip continue to get upgraded and don't remain static, meaning you aren't really much weaker with every game+ loop. The final boss also gives the best weapon in the game so you can use it on Game+.

The game is still harder but not because everyone gets stronger while you stay weaker, which kinda sucks in other Souls games.

RE8 was also fun in game+ because you could also continue upgrading your stuff.

Last edited:
Never happened, when I'm done with a game I'm done. Sure I replay RPGs for example; especially with another build, but I would never do it immediately after finishing the game.

I always try to get as much as possible out of the game on my playthrough. Never understood the concept of NG+ to be honest, that's not for me I guess.

(I can replay shorter games such as retro classics countless times)

Last edited:
For example, Nier Automata.

Throughout the game it's suggested that 'all of this has happened before'; In the very first mission of a normal playthrough the main characters die and you just restart from the beginning, so the idea of 'the game isn't over when it first ends' is planted in players. They also just outright say that you have only completed ending a or something like that.

I don't think there are many like this, but I have a suspicion most will be from Japanese devs, and a good portion will be jrpgs.
I always felt like nier automata was more or less just a nontraditionally set up game and that the first replay was just progress through the campaign. Really playthrough 1 and 2 are just like a long intro IMHO

I restarted elden ring immediately.

intbal

If a game allows me to define the parameters of interaction (Deus Ex), it has strong replayability.

If a game drags me from one locked arena fight to the next (Guardians of the Galaxy), it has zero replayability.
Although that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad game.

cormack12

Gold Member
If it makes me really enjoy it..

To be more specific, it's more about what stops a game from being replayed. Like

- Unskippable cutscenes
- Forced walking
- Linearity / on rails
- Heavy on scripted action
- Heavy on in-game chattering
- Flashback sequences

Yeah I think story based games almost need a non story option after completing it, where it wipes out all the forced slow walking exposition etc.

But Red Dead I've completed loads, absolutely love it. It takes a lot for me to replay games these days. Just don't have the time. So I have to love it.

I cannot stand achievements tied to difficulty levels, especially those that make you unlock the highest difficult by playing once. Since I'm an achievement whore I have to play through the entire thing twice in order to get everything, but usually it's not too bad as I have experience on the second run.

Top Bottom