• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games you felt truly pushed your TV or monitor?

TheRobot

I Recently got a Samsung S95B and while it's an amazing set I haven't really been astonished until I popped Doom eternal on 120 fps and the loot brightness and infinite contrast + fast fps make an amazing combo.

I also thought some games can look similar to a lifelike painting!
Crash 4 and Ori 2 for example.

What other examples that you feel pushed your set to it's limits?

my tvs are 4K 120Hz with HDR. i don't play games on them but i suppose any game that has HDR and can do 4K 120hz will push it as far as it can go. i don't plan on getting a console until later next year.

my monitor is a 1440p 165hz. it has HDR but it sucks. it's not too hard to run a lot of games on PC at a 1440p 144hz. although it's a 165hz display i run it at 144hz.

currently Fortnite is making my PC cry with the recent update and it makes me thankful for having a 144hz screen with VRR. the game is rendering at 720p with TSR to 1440p and i'm only getting 80-120fps (usually 90-100fps). VRR is a life saver here.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wii Sports.

BlandHairyKoi-size_restricted.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I feel like Genshin Impact wants to destroy my OLED with its fucking obnoxious and non-customizable HUD.

Kuranghi

Horizon: Forbidden Weight Watchers Section looked absolutely insane in 30fps mode, the HDR is pretty well done but its a combo of that, the fidelity of the graphics and the sharpness of the image.

Jedi: Fallen Order - On PC, native 4K with all settings maxed apart from one that didn't make a difference between high and very high (There are hidden "cinema" quality settings in the ini that make the DoF absolutely nuts quality but it was probably put in purely for marketing capture so isn't really viable on current HW, let alone what I had in 2019) + HDR was nutso, everything was so 3D it was amazing, SDR was so flat in comparison. Properly dark areas + bright lights like the pitch black areas with the red laser forcefields looked brilliant.

Ghost of Tsushima's HDR isn't perfect and the way they did the lighting in little houses (ie near pitch black inside with super bright big square windows) is really challenging for LCD but my trusty ZD9 held its own and had unbelievable impact from said windows when you looked out. Riding through forests with the sun filtering through the tree trunks was awesome.

Hitman '16/'18 looked amazing too, superb image quality. HDR was always broken for me on PC in those 2 but then 3 fixed it... except they generally fucked up the gamma in the game and made it all grey as a separate issue so I dropped it after 12 hours or so, might go back and try and fix it again knowing some quirks of PC HDR I didnt back then. The HDR in Hitman '16/'18 levels within '21 looks superb though at least.

Thats just some random stuff off the top of my head, if games are technically well implemented then they tend to look awesome on my display because its just very good.

Last edited:

TheRobot

Whatever you do don't update to 1420.9.
I'm on 1304 offline and it's pretty good, I might update to 1310 manually cuz I see some shuttering with VRR on.

I tried Horizon FW and the reds on the Samsung look super punchy compared to my LG C7.

Do you guys use your your own TV settings or copy it from calibrators?

T4keD0wN

Doom eternal at 200+ fps with elmb sync is crazy smooth. BFI+Gsync is dope.
You would think Shadow of the tomb raider and guardians of the galaxy with rt at very high are impressive because they can run @ 120-150fps in most locations, right? Nope, they are nothing compared to Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk 2077s exposure is so terribly fd up you will be scared that youll lose your sight while playing the game after every update while waiting for mods that fix it to be updated. Playing it is like getting blasted with long range xenon headlights at night, cant beat that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom