• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which GOTY nominated 3D platformer was the best?

Which GOTY nominated 3D platformer was the best?

• Ratchet and Clank

Votes: 71 48.3%
  • Psychonauts 2

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • It Takes Two

Votes: 15 10.2%

• Total voters

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I agree with that and the series was definitely hurt in the PS2/PS3 era by churning out too many of the titles is too short of a time span. Also agree that the game play hasn't evolved and it does feel like they've run out of ideas for the quirky arsenal which is, to me, what the series hangs its' hat on. I still commend Insomniac for consistently putting out games in the series and maintaining a high quality, but I'd never elevate any of the titles as being "great".

I've been saying this for years. R&C is some cookie-cutter popcorn shite. My vote goes to Psychonauts. Surprised how much fun I had with it.

Last edited:

nkarafo

What is this 3rd Uncharted cutscene looking gif? Isn't that game supposed to be like a cute looking co-op platformer?

TexMex

Geez......getting all those figments must have been tough.

Not at all. Most are on the beaten path and any you miss you can just chapter select to whichever world you missed them in. The worlds are also segmented off and abbreviated when you revisit them. Goes super quick.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Rachet Rift Apart is something more man the game has so much deeper layer than previous entries its much more open world

And lets talk about the graphics its leagues ahead of other game like psychonauts metroid and it takes two

Seriosly playing rachet rift apart sometimes it makes me feel like im in pixar movie

Even xbox channel like crapgamer said rachet rift apart made psyconauts look like AA game

Last edited:

Ogbert

Ratchet and Clank isn't a platformer. It's not close to being a platformer. It's a third person action game.

If we categorise it as a platformer, then so is Destiny 2.

Anyway, probably Bowser's Fury, but nothing stand out this year.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
No bowsers fury? Who nominated what? And what is that horrible hipster looking game from the third gif. But no bowsers fury.

Rivet and clank is very pretty, and still fun, but it's gotten pretty milquetoast and creatively bankrupt at this point. I don't think i'll buy another one unless they remake another ps2 iteration and don't fuck it up with activism.
Yeah that is shit. So what if it was a game you could easily 100% in a weekend, it was fucking tight. Ratchet and Psychonauts were both good too. I think Psychonauts was the best overall, new experience.

Banned
Psychonauts 2 currently has one less vote than R&C.

"Sony GAF"

Sure Jan GIF

Ratchet shouldn't even be nominated to be honest, it's not really a platformer, it's a shooter with light platforming. but I guess it was nominated hence it's listed in this thread

but also It Takes Two is extremely creative and has crazy variaty, yet gets completely shafted...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ratchet shouldn't even be nominated to be honest, it's not really a platformer, it's a shooter with light platforming. but I guess it was nominated hence it's listed in this thread

but also It Takes Two is extremely creative and has crazy variaty, yet gets completely shafted...

It Takes Two's problem is that it literally requires two people to play the game and so a lot fewer people have played it. Hard to vote for a game you haven't played. That doesn't mean the game is getting "shafted". Most are simply voting for the games they played.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

It should

It is a platformer at its best man

I duno i just cant get mind on it but i do think its one of the best platformer around right now

Last edited:

I just dont think many played it..gameplay wise its arguably the best game of the year to me...but the story in psychonauts 2 puts it over he edge.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I havent played any of them.

Beat psychonauts 1 this year though and if 2 is on par with that then I'm going to love it.

Got a second xbox controller and talked my girlfriend into playing ITT soon. Next time we both have a weekend off.

Probably not going to play Ratchet. Never enjoyed that series.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I find the gameplay of rift apart really tedious and the story is not good enough to keep me playing. While its made very well and a technical marvel its one of those games which has a burnt out formula and just an ok story.

Reave

Psychonauts 2’s combat and platforming are incredibly dated and detrimental to the experience. Ratchet, on the other hand, was rock solid all the way through.

Handel

I havent played any of them.

Beat psychonauts 1 this year though and if 2 is on par with that then I'm going to love it.

Got a second xbox controller and talked my girlfriend into playing ITT soon. Next time we both have a weekend off.

Probably not going to play Ratchet. Never enjoyed that series.
Psy2 is as good if not better then Psy1 in most areas. The level design is better on average, with most of Psy2's levels being superior to Psy1 levels not named Milkman Conspiracy or Black Velvetopia. The plot, humor and characters are overall better written, but don't have that unique summer camp atmosphere the first game has with following the other campers mini story arcs so YMMV. Gameplay is less janky than the first game, pyro power is actually worth a damn, and the new powers are great additions.

I only played Psy1 for the first time last year and fell in love with it, and while it still feels more unique than Psy2, the latter is pound for pound the better game.

Top Bottom