• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which motherboard manufacturer do you prefer?

What's your favourite?

• Total voters

Kadve

Its the enteral question for PC builders and i got curious what the internet (ie, GAF) thought. Personally had bad experiences with all that i have tried so far (booth the MSI and Asrock ones that i had died on me and i am not to happy with my current Gigabyte one. Probably going ASUS next) so i don't really have a favourite yet. But do you have one and why in that case?

(edit, and better question. Has anyone even used a NZXT or EVGA board? Didn't even know they made such things)

Last edited:

Ironbunny

I have had Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock motherboards. Of those brands both Asus and Gigabyte I have had problems which have been fixed through RMA. I usually go for ASUS due to familiriaty with their BIOS. Cant really promote any of the brands over another.

BlackTron

With my first PC build I went with Asus K8V Deluxe with an AMD Athlon 64 (2004). The board lasted so long, and so stable, with so few issues, I had to remove it from the case before it died to switch to a MSI board my friend gave me as a hand-me-down that I stuck 4690k into.

They both still work. As in, I'm typing on the MSI/4690k now, and the old AMD board with the Athlon in it is still in an antistatic bag if I ever want to go back and play a Windows XP game or make some sort of router or NAS with it (for no reason lol).

OZ9000

Banned
I've had 2 Asus motherboards. P67 Pro and X470F strix. Both worked well however failed after warranty.

I've now got a Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P. So far so good...

I prefer Gigabytes designs tbh. The ROG branding from ASUS is embarrassing as shit. MSIs gamer aesthetic is even worse.

Kadve

Hate Gigabyte boards
Mine has developed an awful tendency of failing to establish contact with the GPU Card in the PCIE-16 slot when you power it on. Its only solved by removing/putting back the card or (if your lucky) by wiggling it around a little in the slot. While it hasn't happened to many times (twice in the last 4 months or so) i am getting a bit worried about it.

Same thing also sometimes happens with the SATA port going to the SSD. Though that might have more to do with my case which mounts the SSD in an awkward place which the cable has to bend a lot to reach.

But yea no more Gigabyte for me. Also hate the BIOS.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Never had a problem with a motherboard so just go with price/feature usually. Have had gigabyte and MSI for sure not sure about the others.

Buggy Loop

Asus is really good, but I voted Asrock

Last two SFF builds I did, and this is not pertinent for 95% of PCs, but Asrock was better choice for passive VRM cooling and the clearance for the Noctua NH-L12S. These tiny VRM fans are a big no for me and for the mini-itx B550 series, choice was limited. So anyway, they offer a good bang for the buck and never had a problem with them for 2 SFF builds on Ryzen platform so far.

If you don’t think about overclocking ( I mean, who really needs to overclock nowadays except for benchmarks epeen wars?), then don’t waste top money for the top end range on either Asus or Asrock. Gigabyte has been known for having problems lately with motherboards. Can’t comment on the rest, but I wouldn’t touch them.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So kind of a ranger but is it pronounced “Eh-soos” or like “aces” because I always hear both.

My current Gigabyte mobo has been super reliable but the BIOS interface is pretty sucky. EVGA or ASUS are my most likely candidates for my eventual new build when the RTX40xx cards drop

ive only had msi and gigabyte. first was gigabyte second msi and current gigabyte

first gigabyte was a basic £70 one. msi was £100 that i only got cause it looked cool. current board was £290. i decided to go for a good quality board so i could have better overclocking.

id go gigabyte or msi again but if not then probably next choice would be asus.

So kind of a ranger but is it pronounced “Eh-soos” or like “aces” because I always hear both.

My current Gigabyte mobo has been super reliable but the BIOS interface is pretty sucky. EVGA or ASUS are my most likely candidates for my eventual new build when the RTX40xx cards drop
i pronounce it A-sis (like sister) but that is probably my strong accent lol. not sure what its mean to be but i thought the right way was A-sus (like suspect)…i mean thats how it is spelt lol

Last edited:

Kadve

i pronounce it A-sis (like sister) but that is probably my strong accent lol. not sure what its mean to be but i thought the right way was A-sus (like suspect)…i mean thats how it is spelt lol
Should be pronounced with a Greek accent as they're full name is technically "Pegasus Technologies". They just dropped the prefix so that their name would be in the "A" section of the phonebook (and probably so they wouldn't be confused with other companies with that name).

Dural

I've had good luck with the Gigabyte Aorus boards, good bang for your buck. My son has had one in his Ryzen gaming PC since 2019 and I upgraded my Unraid server earlier this year with a B560 Aorus Pro AX. Both boards have been rock solid.

Mithos

My current one is Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite, but looking on previous builds, it have been Asus as far back as I can see.

Last edited:

Reallink

The brand doesn't matter, they all make both turds and gems. Buy the cheapest one with the most robust VRM, the best features/ports, and no known egregious firmware issues.

lukilladog

I´ve had gigabyte´s since the athlon xp era (with kingston ram), very reliable, they used to be the manufacturer with the best bios support and was the first brand to discontinue typical electrolyte caps and introduce dual bios in budget lines. I got an Asus now because they had the cheapest dual pcie x16/x8 motherboard, seems fine for now, except for slow load times and stutters using a new 3200 mb/s m.2 ssd, which looks great in crystal diskmark info and benches, but sucks in games.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Never even thought about it. I've yet to have a motherboard fail. They all seem to be fine.

tommolb

Asus. Got a ROG Crosshair VII Hero and after 4 years BIOS updates are still being produced. Had never updated my BIOS and decided I'd take a look on Friday evening and they'd released one back in July. I half expected no updates for 2+ years.

zcaa0g

Banned
Usually Asus or Gigabyte. Currently using Gigabyte due to 4 slot video card. That leaves me with 2 pcie slots unlike Asus, which leaves me just one.

NightWolve

Neo Member
I had a b450 Gigabyte for the last ~3 years until I tinkered in the BIOS with CSM/Secure Boot to see if my CPU/MB was new enough to meet Windows 11 requirements. Suffice to say, I bricked it just by trying to activate Secure Boot (no video signal, with any video card)! The first few times I could remove the CMOS battery, reset the BIOS, and it'd work again, but after a handful of tries, no dice...

A friend recommended Asus since I decided to upgrade everything (new MB, CPU, 32GB RAM total, new 1TB SSD, etc) and I wound up saving my Windows 7 partition/drive which could finally boot again (previously was lost to blue screen crash no matter what I tried)!!! I was really depressed I'd have to rebuild that desktop again, but enough persistence, money, trips to 2 MicroCenters paid off thankfully ($600).

So far so good, and quite the learning experience.
1) I'll never buy another Gigabyte MB again.
2) I'll never use the Microsoft Win10 Backup/Restore! What a false sense of security! I had a 2021 full system backup, but no matter what I did to restore, it'd give me a new error (i.e. "target disk too small to restore," so I buy a 2 TB HDD, then it'd say "element not found")
3) Make sure your video card is pressed firmly into the motherboard! The new ASUS MB has 4 LED lights to help you troubleshoot: RAM, VGA, CPU, BOOT. It'd get stuck at VGA I noticed, so I tried my old video card, then the lights made progress, green on BOOT, so I got a video signal!! When I tried the main video card again, I made sure to force it in well, and now it worked.

My first PC was Window 95, a Pentium 200Mhz MMX with integrated graphics, there's something to be said about that I guess instead of relying on a 3rd party expansion card for video output. I thought about switching to Intel since I've been with AMD since 2006, but everybody tells me Intel is lagging behind, so I stayed with AM4, etc.

Anyway, that's my quick story on why I'll stick with Asus! I really thought I lost that Win7 partition but it booted right up on the new MB once I took care of the video card problem.

NightWolve

Neo Member
Mine has developed an awful tendency of failing to establish contact with the GPU Card in the PCIE-16 slot when you power it on. Its only solved by removing/putting back the card or (if your lucky) by wiggling it around a little in the slot. While it hasn't happened to many times (twice in the last 4 months or so) i am getting a bit worried about it.

But yea no more Gigabyte for me. Also hate the BIOS.
Oooh, wouldn't you know, exact problem I was having and it eventually bricked the MB since I could never get a video signal out of it again... Yeah, took my friend's advice to go with Asus, and I'll never buy Gigabyte again... It's too much of a headache and at the risk of years of your work/legacy to play around with this stuff. I can see myself upgrading to a little NUC/miniPC some time, I don't want the hassle with issues like these anymore...

Kadve

Oooh, wouldn't you know, exact problem I was having and it eventually bricked the MB since I could never get a video signal out of it again... Yeah, took my friend's advice to go with Asus, and I'll never buy Gigabyte again... It's too much of a headache and at the risk of years of your work/legacy to play around with this stuff. I can see myself upgrading to a little NUC/miniPC some time, I don't want the hassle with issues like these anymore...
Probably slimming mine down to a micro-ATX build next time. I want a motherboard with 4 PCIE slots though (as i am using a dedicated soundcard and i want another free slot in case i need it) which doesn't seem to be something ASUS is making with AM4. So its either MSI again unless i should be complete rebel and use a Biostar one... (neither Gigabyte or Asrock makes such things either)

Last edited:
Top Bottom