• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Rollercoaster Tycoon game I should play?

Which Rollercoaster Tycoon?

• RC 1

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • RC 2

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • RC 3

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • RC World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RC 3D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

ChazAshley

A random vg music playlist that I was listening to played a Rollercoaster tycoon song. It was pretty good and it reminded me for years that I've needed to play this game at the repeated endorsements from friends.
I see there's a good amount of them now though. Is it worth going through the first and work my way up? Or should I just simply jump into one within the series that basically has the predecessors' gameplay but with better QOL?

I can get it on the Switch or PC -

If you have multiple choices - feel free to share your favorite stories/designs within the game to help me lean toward a particular release.

Edit: Bah - prematurely pressed enter - WHICH RC game should I start off with?

GqFnU7K.png

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
1 + 2 were amazing and i also loved Theme Park World and Theme Park Inc (aka SimCoaster aka Theme Park Manager)

Comandr

i LOVE RCT. Grew up with the originals. Played the shit out of em. Still go back and play them here and there. The problem with the old games is once you discover the “perfect rollercoaster”
a powered launch shuttle loop coaster that reverses
you just build a zillion of them and suddenly the game isn’t very fun anymore because you can beat all of the levels using just that.

All that said, Planet Coaster is the best Rollercoaster Tycoon game. Oozes charm, amazing music (like actually seriously. I bought the soundtrack), a buttload of stuff on the steam workshop for free ti mess around with, tons of overpriced DLC. Really ticks a lot of boxes. Aaaaaaandddd
I honestly find Planet Coaster overwhelmingly complex at times. Similar to Planet Zoo, the amount of interconnected systems in place is insane.
a lot of the systems can be turned off in the options menu. I turn off quite a few newer “gameplay enhancing systems” off right away. Vandalism? No. Prestige? Nope. You have a huge amount of control here.

Edit!! Here ya go.

Last edited:

elliot5

RCT Classic which is a modern port of 1+2

Parkitect for a wonderful spiritual successor that has flawless multiplayer too. I’m away from my home but I’m working on a park with my cousin and it’s shaping up nicely

I’m not a fan of the 3d ones. Including planet coaster

Last edited:

CuNi

I really liked RCT3, hated most of the games that came after. None really captured the spirit and feel of RCT3 in 3D ever since.

Paasei

From your list: RCT2 then move that to the modern optimised version called OpenRCT2.

If you want other suggestions: Parkitect (based on above) and Planet Coaster (based on RCT3 but good and fun).

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Can't go wrong with of the first three. But whatever you do, don't get the new ones. They're awful and with Planet Coaster there is already a much better alternative.

Top Bottom