• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which search engine do you use? Do you have to search multiple times?

Which search engine do you use?

• Total voters

BigBooper

I normally use Bing just for the rewards and they seemed comparable to Google, but there's been a lot of times that I couldn't find something using either of those, but found it on DuckDuckGo. I don't care all that much about the privacy aspect of DuckDuckGo, but the search results are much better, comparable to how Google was 10-15 years ago.

I don't know whether Google and Bing are actively hiding things, promoting things, or if their algorithms are just terrible, but almost any time I need an obscure answer I have to go to DuckDuckGo now.

A big negative for the purveyors of the butt and boobs thread though, the image and video search is not nearly as good as Bing's or even Google.

kikkis

Google results for question/opinion type queries are abysmal and I have to add reddit postfix to my queries to even get something tangible. However other search engines fare even worse.

winjer

Gold Member
Brave search or Duck Duck Go.

Only if I don't find anything with these, do I open Google. But this is rare.

BigBooper

Google results for question/opinion type queries are abysmal and I have to add reddit postfix to my queries to even get something tangible. However other search engines fare even worse.
I've noticed that. I've been having to use a lot of site: and -site: lately.

I try to use duckduckgo but honestly it kind of blows. I usually start with duckduckgo and if I see the results and can tell they are going to be garbage I immediately just switch to Google.

It's actually unreal sometimes how bad the duckduckgo results are, many times they would be better off just being an old school text matching search engine instead of whatever algo they are using.

BigBooper

I try to use duckduckgo but honestly it kind of blows. I usually start with duckduckgo and if I see the results and can tell they are going to be garbage I immediately just switch to Google.

It's actually unreal sometimes how bad the duckduckgo results are, many times they would be better off just being an old school text matching search engine instead of whatever algo they are using.
I wonder about that. Maybe the biggest problem with all of them is their algorithm interpreting the wrong things. There should be a reset option. Like, your algorithm's got me wrong, we need to start from scratch.

Personally, I liked the text parsing engines much better.

Konnor

I use google for simple shit like shopping and movie recommendations but for anything political, religious and so on I use DDG and many other search engines since google is heavily censored and biased.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
been using duckduckgo on + off for years but it wasn't that great. google was my main one. the last year and a half i am using ddg 99% of the time. i don't know what they done but it is much better. there is the odd time i will struggle to find something i will give Bing a shot (i know ddg uses bing amongst others) and if that doesn't work then i'll go to google.

i used to use google everything (gmail, chrome, yt, search, android, etc) but i try to avoid using them as much as possible now. i only use YT still but honestly i'm tempted to stop because of how much they are changing it to force you to buy their subscription. i'm now getting ads when launching it on my tv. there are multiple ads every 5 mins during a video! and now i can't even minimise a video in the YT app to go browse other videos! it's a joke.

fuck google!

MaestroMike

Gold Member
copy pasta this poll from the early 2000s ?? askjeeves, yahoo, altavista?? i use google hope apple makes a search engine one day even though they make billions from google

Kamina

Golden Boy
Every search you do on Bing gives you points (I think a max per day). You can also get points other ways but it's all what I do. Points are turned in for Gift Cards like Amazon, Wal-mart, Dominos, etc. Or subscriptions like Gamepass, Hulu, etc. Or you can use points to enter sweepstakes.
Full list of rewards here: https://rewards.microsoft.com/redeem/
Now i could use the pikachu reaction emote, maybe i need to subscribe to GAF gold again….

Last edited:
I kind of have Bing as the default right now, for the rewards points that I don't end up using or caring about. So I'll "bing" something, and then after that gives me nothing useful I'll either google it (often with a site: tag for serverfault or reddit or whatever seems likely to bring up some discussion), or maybe duckduckgo if I know it's something google's going to censor or push communism.

And when the Google logo is a doodle of some intersectional wonderperson who has the most minor of historical accomplishments to zer name it's:
Animated GIF

Wildebeest

I use "the duck" as all the cool kids are calling it. But I'm fully in the google ecosystem on youtube and on android.

UnNamed

Banned
I remember when I used Altavista as the main search engine.

I would like to use duckduckgo but it's still behind.

I will try brave as browser though.

Top Bottom