• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which title is the Citizen Kane of gaming?

We probably need a few standards to make a good comparison to Citizen Kane.

1. New director and studio breaking the mold.
2. diverse use of different techniques.
3. Interesting structure.
4. A theme that struck its audience at the right time and the right place.

Not to mention universal praise.

Have we had a game like this?

I have seen people mention Nier Automata, my issue with that is Platinum has been making games that jump around genre for a long time. Kamiya, directed Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 which both had more different forms of gameplay than Nier Automata, and arguably did some better and some worse.. Also, it fails the 4 points because it was not made by a new director and studio.
This is the challenge we have in finding "The Citizen Kane of gaming" and of course Naughty dog are instantly out because they were not a new studio.

By my own parameters I find myself coming close to giving it to Rockstar for GTA3.. but I don't like that game that much.. but it kind of hits a lot of the parameters. It certainly used different techniques and interesting structure, and the theme struck its audience at the right time and place. It was hugely influential and it broke the mold.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
When I think of Citizen Kane I think of great story telling, cinematography, editing, etc.

So off the top of my head, I would say Metal Gear Solid.

I don't even like playing MGS, could never wrap my head around the controls but the game is an absolute masterpiece in terms of cinematic gaming and storytelling.

Deerock71

When I think of Citizen Kane I think of great story telling, cinematography, editing, etc.

So off the top of my head, I would say Metal Gear Solid.

I don't even like playing MGS, could never wrap my head around the controls but the game is an absolute masterpiece in terms of cinematic gaming and storytelling.
So it would fail because Citizen Kane was a great movie, but MGS was utterly 'meh' as an actual game. It was maybe 3 hours of gameplay versus 30 hours of forced, tedious exposition.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
TLOU 2 is extremely fun.

Its the most intense and visceral hand to hand combat i've ever seen in a game point blank. Thats where it innovates.
I didn't see it as extremely fun, just very (very) well done in the tecnical side. And I can see how that can influence the fun factor in a positive way. But I don't see that as innovative in any way, just a step forward in the technical side of things. (But not gameplay)

The thing is, when it came to actually pressing the buttons, I found it to be very simple, and felt too similar to the first one, even with the few new things they added.

You mention the intensity. I can understand the intensity when it comes to the blood and all the gory details that were done so well, but when I think of intensity I think something like a final boss in God Hand or Metal Gear Rising, which might not be so visually impressing, but it actually is when it comes to the gameplay and pressing the buttons.

Anyway, I guess discussing fun is kinda pointless since it's something very subjective.

TheGrat1

Pong. Seriously.

That was the game that first made the masses say "Ooooh, I get it." and single-handedly introduced video games to the mainstream. It is the foundation on which all video game culture has been built. Honestly, it is more important to video games than Citizen Kane is to film.

Deerock71

Pong. Seriously.

That was the game that first made the masses say "Ooooh, I get it." and single-handedly introduced video games to the mainstream. It is the foundation on which all video game culture has been built. Honestly, it is more important to video games than Citizen Kane is to film.
Pong is primative, like silent films were. Citizen Kane was a wild departure from the primative, and they're not even remotely comparable. Using a camera to look around in Mario's 3D existence and subsequently learning Mario could tiptoe by slightly pushing the analog stick all felt radically different at the time.

nkarafo

What came out first? Doom or Wolfenstein 3D?
Wolf 3D.

However, it was too limited. It could only render otrhogonal rooms and corridors, nothing else. You can't do much with this kind of engine so all the enviroments were the same boring mazes with only textures making them look any different.

Doom was the first FPS with an engine that could render proper enviroments where the only limitation (other than some details like slopes) is your imagination. Prerty much every room was different and interesting to look at and explore. Even today there are new maps created that look interesting and fresh.

Wolf 3D wasn't even a taste of what Doom would be in comparison. Even back then i wasn't very impressed by Wolf 3D but when i saw Doom i thought games would never be the same.

Last edited:

tusharngf

12563-chrono-trigger.jpg

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Wolf 3D.

However, it was too limited. It could only render otrhogonal rooms and corridors, nothing else. You can't do much with this kind of engine so all the enviroments were the same boring mazes with only textures making them look any different.

Doom was the first FPS with an engine that could render proper enviroments where the only limitation (other than some details like slopes) is your imagination. Prerty much every room was different and interesting to look at and explore. Even today there are new maps created that look interesting and fresh.

Wolf 3D wasn't even a taste of what Doom would be in comparison. Even back then i wasn't very impressed by Wolf 3D but when i saw Doom i thought games would never be the same.
I only said Wolfenstein 3D because I thought it influenced and opened the door for Doom. Doom is more influential no doubt about it.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I only said Wolfenstein 3D because I thought it influenced and opened the door for Doom. Doom is more influential know doubt about it.
Well, Wolfenstein 3D wasn't the first FPS game anyway. Not even by iD. Before that there was Catacomb 3D and before that there was Hovertank or something like that.

Also i was answering to another poster but quoted you by mistake :p

Last edited:
I generally try to be pretty restrained with how I express my opinions on here, but this post is just outrageously wrong.

First of all, Citizen Kane didn't in any way mark the transition from gags to mature storytelling you mention. Many early films, including those from the silent era, were far more than "gag compilations" and included fully fleshed out narratives, dealing with mature subject matter. M was released in 1931, a full decade before Citizen Kane. Metropolis was released in 1927! Citizen Kane actually is remembered for its technical innovation and achievement, as others have said, and for its general high quality, not because it invented serious film-making or was somehow the first film to show that movies could be art.

Also, you're seriously understating the importance of Chaplin and other great silent film comedians (like Buster Keaton) if you think their films were "infantile" or mere gag reels.

And, of course, you're dead fucking wrong about Mario.
Why do people get so triggered/sensitive every time someone says Mario (Nintendo IPs) are for kids/young audiences?
Nobody argues Toy Story or Bambi isn't something adults indulge themselves with on regular basis. I get nostalgia and great childhood memories but let's stop this nonsense, please...

Boss Mog

There's so many pioneering and influential titles that I could pick but if I had to pick one I'd go with Portal 2. I recently replayed it and it hasn't aged a day. It has a perfect campaign and perfect co-op multiplayer that will stand the test of time.

Deerock71

Why do people get so triggered/sensitive every time someone says Mario (Nintendo IPs) are for kids/young audiences?
Nobody argues Toy Story or Bambi isn't something adults indulge themselves with on regular basis. I get nostalgia and great childhood memories but let's stop this nonsense, please...
Hmmn...maybe it's how you word it?
I don't think people understand what Citizen Kane was for cinema. It wasn't important only for its camera work and clever technics. It was the fact it was a transition from films being a compilation of infantile, fun gags (Chaplin, Marx Brothers) into great storytelling.
It's funny that people here use Mario as games' Citizen Kane. Mario is exactly what masses still think all video games are: infantile entertainment for little kids...
I don't know many infants proficient with playing Mario games, but I guess they're out there?

Tams

Gold Member
Anybody else find Citizen Kane somewhat boring?

I can appreciate what it was (and is) for its time, but by modern cinema (even with all the absolute rubbish released these days)...

And in that case, I can think of many games, but GoldenEye would have to be the one.

Last edited:

blacktout

I wrote a paragraph and some change about how you were misrepresenting film history and one sentence about Mario, but, yes, it was the Mario opinion that "triggered" me.

The problem with using the "maturity" of games as a measure of quality instead of their mechanical polish or technical innovation or artistic beauty or whatever else, is that the vast, vast majority of games are fundamentally juvenile in terms of narrative and subject matter. This includes basically every game listed in this thread (with the possible exception of Inside). You basically have three kinds of game narratives: Colorful and lighthearted children's cartoon. Dark, violent teenage power fantasy. And faux-profound "important" games that deal with their subject matter with the subtly and complexity of your average young adult novel "with a message." The latter category consists of a lot of heavy-handed, cringy social issue and coming-of-age games and the teenage power fantasies from before with some internally contradictory message about the toll of violence awkwardly grafted on with a superficial sprinkling of conventions shamelessly pilfered from film noir and prestige TV. Video games simply don't have a Bergman, Tarkovsky, or Scorsese yet.

What video games have achieved creatively are impeccably polished and satisfying mechanics (Doom, Mario) and rich, visibly beautiful, emotionally evocative worlds (Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls). And that's not insignificant. Those are massive artistic accomplishments. They just aren't accomplishments in "mature storytelling."

Wolfenstein. It proved the idea that games could be three dimensional using the hardware at the time and was the first popular 3D game.

It basically invented the idea of 3 dimensional “cameras” in games, even if the camera was locked to first person view.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So when we say "The Citizen Cane," we probably don't mean popular acclaim. Or even the best game or critical darling. Citizen Cane was a movie that pushed the medium forward in new ways and showed what it could do. It's a cinematic keystone. Everything it has done had been replicated since, of course.

And so I propose the Citizen Kane of gaming is Out of this World/Another World. Pushed the medium ahead far more than it gets credit for with grounded sets, environmental puzzles and stroytelling, and cinematic presentation. A near perfect game.

Tiamat2san

It depends of the type of game I think
Like resident evil is the citizen Kane of survival horror
Doom is the one for FPS on PC
Halo for the console
Mario 64 for 3D plateformer
Mario for 2D etc…

Marvel14

Banned
Tetris you noobs....

....no other title combines simplicity, addictiveness and accessibility as successfully to deliver a proof of concept for a new entertainment form.

It fails on emotional grounds only...but I would argue that the emotional element of games starts to move them toward a film/game hybrid which would be apt for the "Pulp Fiction " of video games: expanding the form....

8BiTw0LF

Banned
When Citizen Kane opened in theatres it was received with very bad reviews. It was only later it got recognized as something special.

Super Mario 64 needs bad reviews to be a 'Citizen Kane'.

I'll say it's Night Trap (1992)

Top Bottom