• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which upcoming Star Wars project from Disney are you looking forward to?

Which upcoming Star Wars project from Disney are you looking forward to?

• Rogue Squadron

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Taika Waititi's untitled Star Wars film

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • Ahsoka

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Rangers of the New Republic

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Andor

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lando

• The Acolyte

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • The Bad Batch

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Star Wars Visions

• A Droid Story

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GreyHorace

The recent Disney investor stream showed off their upcoming Star Wars projects for the next few years.

All-Star-Wars-Movies-and-Shows-main-980x500.jpg

Whether or not this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen, but it's nice to see that Disney is abandoning (for the time being) the annual film release plan they had after Solo bombed and focusing on more tv projects after the success of The Mandalorian. So that begs the question, which of these new Star Wars media are you excited for GAF? We have here:

Movies

Rogue Squadron - Directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman) who wanted to make a Top Gunesque fighter pilot movie set in the Star Wars universe.

Taika Waititi's untitled Star Wars film - From the guy who directed Jojo Rabbit and Thor Ragnarok. Sure to be a hoot.

Live Action TV series

Obi-Wan Kenobi – Set 10 years after Revenge of the Sith so, right in-between the prequels and the original trilogy. It starts principal photography in Boston and London in January of 2021 and stars Ewan McGregor in the title role and Hayden Christensen will return as Darth Vader.

Andor –Starring Diego Luna as Cassian Andor and Alan Tudyk as K-2SO in the prequel series to Rogue One that is already filming in London.

Ahsoka & Rangers of the New Republic – They will both form part of The Mandalorian timeline. The former will be a limited series starring Rosario Dawson and not much is known about the latter, except that it will probably follow an episodic format. Both will be managed by Dave Filoni and John Favreau.

Lando – Following the popular character first seen in The Empire Strikes Back and played by Billy Dee Williams and then later portrayed by Donald Glover in Solo. Not much was said about this, except that it will be an "event series," which means it will probably be a limited series.

The Acolyte – A mystery-thriller live-action series from Russian Doll creator Leslye Headland that will focus on the emergence of dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic Era.

Animated series

Bad Batch – An animated series set to air in 2021. They first appeared in an episode of The Clone Wars called "The Bad Batch" (S07, E01) that followed a clone commando squad during the Clone Wars called Clone Force 99 that consisted of four clone troopers designed with unique "mutations" that make them exceptional soldiers and extremely skilled in their field.

A Droid Story – Not much was said about this, except that Lucasfilm's animation department will partner with their VFX team, Industrial Light and Magic to create a new show that will somehow incorporate C-3PO and R2-D2.

Visions – An animated anthology of Star Wars to be directed by noted Japanese animation studios and directors. Similar in concept to 2003's The Animatrix.

Personally I'm most hyped for Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka. Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni did fantastic work on The Mandalorian and as far as I'm concerned they should be handling the franchise from here on out. But Rogue Squadron has also got my interest since I think Patty Jenkins is a good director after Wonder Woman.

But again, what say you GAF?

kunonabi

None, because I have no faith in them not screwing them up and I hated the clone wars cartoon anyway.

Hayden might get me to watch the Obi-Wan show but that's about it.

On paper though, a Rogue Squadron movie directed by Jenkins has the most promise.

YuLY

I am still pissed that they demoted Obi-Wan into a series. It should've been a movie.

Even worse, its a mini-series, not like Mando. Probably 4 eps or something and its done.

I'm only looking forward to Obi-Wan and The Acolyte, the rest will probably be SJW/forced diversity fests, so no thanks.

Hudo

Even worse, its a mini-series, not like Mando. Probably 4 eps or something and its done.

I'm only looking forward to Obi-Wan and The Acolyte, the rest will probably be SJW/forced diversity fests, so no thanks.
For real? What the fuck are Disney even doing... seriously, when they first talked about Obi-Wan, I was excited as fuck because Obi-Wan is one of my favourite Star Wars characters and a movie about him was something I could get excited about.

Super Mario

Banned
A lot of these, I'm not so sure I'm hyped for. The Acolyte has some potential to be really awesome. Rogue Squadron also sounds pretty awesome. Can't go wrong there.

Tranquil

None, I've lost faith in modern disney.

If I hear through word of mouth that any of these are good I'll for sure check them out though.

Dazraell

I'm looking forward for 4 of these projects. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about each of them and still planning to watch most of the other series and movies.

Obi-Wan - being a shorter event series may actually work on it's favour and reduce the fillers and unecessary bloat. While I'm not really a fan of the idea of it being a confrontation between Kenobi and Vader, I do think it may have some interesting opportunities to bridge out their stories between Episode III and IV.
The Bad Batch - when they announced this series, I certainly raised my eyebrow, but the more I warmed up to the idea, I feel it may have a lot of really cool opportunities to explore with it's setup. It has a lot of potential to become a really great followup to The Clone Wars.
The Acolyte - it already sounds good, was sold on it's premise already. I can only hope it will live up to expectations.
The Mandalorian spin-offs - I really like how they announced that both Mando, Rangers and Ahsoka will become an interconnected story spanning multiple seasons. There is a lot of potential here, hopefully they will use it well to tell the story they had in mind for all of these characters.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It just feels like one success, and Disney is back to its old ways, throwing anything at the board that sticks. I’m not really excited for any.

In fact, I’m kind of worried that a couple of these could siphon talent off The Mandalorian (much like what happened with Arrow and it’s spinoffs) and prematurely end the best thing for Star Wars in years.

Prove me wrong, I guess, but I’m less excited for the future of Star Wars, than I was before this announcement. Less is more. Quality over quantity. Particularly given that burnout looks like a real possibility when having this much Star Wars content shoved down your throat.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
The Acolyte – A mystery-thriller live-action series from Russian Doll creator Leslye Headland that will focus on the emergence of dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic Era.

I also have to say that this was such a bad show. Typical millennial/degeneracy/woke crap. As good as this concept sounds, the creator completely removes any excitement I would have for it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Acolyte cuz a new era means the writers might have to be creative for once.

Hope I'm right.

desertdroog

I wanted to choose the Book of Boba Fett, but it wasn't an option. I also wanted to choose one animated and one live action, but that was not an option.

So I chose Obi Wan, because Ewan McGregor channeled Sir Alec Guinness in a way that no deep fake could touch and I want to see how he became Old Ben. I am somewhat interested in the Bad Batch (The Clone Wars 3D animated series informs my choices on this), but the Japanese anthology Visions is interesting in that the Japanese have great takes on western ideas/movies when they take it to animated form.

At the end of the day, all of the above may very well suck because as we have seen the disparity between the Last three movies and the Mandalorian episodes, it all depends on who is writing the story. The fact that it is Star Wars will not save it, good writing will.

In a perfect world we would get an R Rated Darth Vader Movie/Series/Animation, but the house of the mouse will never let that happen.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Obi Wan for sure but equally excited about Lando if they basically get Donald Glover and the Solo cast in to do a series with Maul and Khalesi as the big bads.

Only the stuff that's being done by Favreau and Filoni.
Because they have proven they can do real Star Wars that's not crap.

For the rest I am cautiously optimistic. But I would be not surprised if we just see more of what went wrong over the last 37 years with them.

HoodWinked

Honestly this is like seeing Disney become CW. Smallville was decent so they crank out every other dc property and just completely oversaturate and turn people off. Mandolorian is great but all this is a bit much.

Trickster

Never been a big Star Wars nut, but several of those sound great.

Taika Waititi's movie is probably gonna be great, dude is a great director.

Obi-Wan Kenobi with Hayden making a return will be entertaining regardless of how good or bad it is

Ahsoka is a great character and will be fun

The Acolyte sounds super dope. Something different in a different era of the SW universe is a welcome thing

Visions being an anthology show will almost certainly have something interesting

#Phonepunk#

Banned
None of these. Can’t think of a single one I am excited for. Even Obi Wan is a retread.

Taika is going to try and out clever Rian Johnson so I’m already rolling my eyes at that. Acolyte is what if Star Wars was made by one of Harvey Weinstein’s personal assistants, lol, no thanks. Everything else is Spin Off: The Spin Off.

Throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks.

Last edited:

INC

None, apart from mando S3

Impossible to be excited for anything SW related, ill just wait for the pilots of each and worry about it then

Taika is going to try and out clever Rian Johnson so I’m already rolling my eyes at that.
That's what I worry about as well.
I don't quite get where all that love for Waititi comes from.

While Thor:Ragnarök was hilarious at times, it was also woke as fuck imo.
And that Hitler movie sucked donkey balls.
His episode in Mando S1 was also nothing special.

My guess is that it must be his funny name and that he focuses on more out there scripts.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.

sol_bad

I'd have to say that season 3 of Mando is still the main thing I'm excited about. Along with Ahsoka because she is a great character.

The Acolyte I'm a bit interested in as we have a slight idea of what it's about, at least it's setting.

Taika's film we know absolutely nothing about, same goes for the Rogue Squadron film. I don't think the Rogue Squadron film is inspired by any of the games or books and just knowing it's about a bunch of X-Wing fighters is not exciting to me. Yeah, Taika's films are all great but I still need to know what the subject matter will be for his Star Wars film, even a brief synopsis.

Bobba Fett I have never really cared for so his mini series isn't exciting.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rogue Squadron
The Acolyte
Visions
Ahsoka
Taika Waititi's untitled Star Wars film
Andor
Rangers of the New Republic
Lando
A Droid Story

As a huge Clone Wars fan I'm really enjoying The Bad Batch.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Disney loves putting pressure on themselves to release Star Wars projects I’ll go Obi-wan we all know Jedi and Sith are the heart and soul of Star Wars even if a bounty hunters jet pack is a game changer.

ManaByte

Taika's film we know absolutely nothing about, same goes for the Rogue Squadron film. I don't think the Rogue Squadron film is inspired by any of the games or books and just knowing it's about a bunch of X-Wing fighters is not exciting to me. Yeah, Taika's films are all great but I still need to know what the subject matter will be for his Star Wars film, even a brief synopsis.

They're both apparently set in a new time period. Which is going to really piss off performance outrage YouTubers because that's taking away their arguments about character assassination and raping their childhood memories.

sol_bad

They're both apparently set in a new time period. Which is going to really piss off performance outrage YouTubers because that's taking away their arguments about character assassination and raping their childhood memories.

I personally don't care what they're set in.

High Republic
Old Republic (if it becomes cannon)
Clone War era
Empire era
First Order era
Beyond

Just gimme gimme gimme.

Romulus

I'm betting Rogue Squadron is a nuclear woke explosion. They'll probably bury white male characters as janitors and mechanics serving badass female pilots. Maybe a villan white guy.

Last edited:
I can't wait for the Mandelorian/Ahsoka/Rangers series to end with Ahsoka telling Luke about how the Jedi failed his father, thus beginning Luke's disillusionment.

Star Wars bros won't know who to direct their anger to after that. It'll be glorious.

Top Bottom