• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR head-mounted display are you most interested in and why?

Durante

What Valve clearly have is the best announced positional tracking solution.

As for OLED, I thought they'd come straight out and mention it if they used it, so I assumed they don't. However, impressions I've read now do seem to indicate OLED displays -- perhaps they only plan to use them on the prototype?

I hope the final version is OLED as well, would make my choice much easier. (Who am I kidding, I'll probably end up with both anyway)

iceatcs

Valve is most interesting to me because like Steam and I will be only use VR for my PC. I think I will let the price to deicide.

Maybe buy a PS4 for Morpheus for their first party.

Zukuu

Banned
Doesn't Valve's require you to STAND and have a dedicated space set up?

I won't see that being any success if true.

Durante

Doesn't Valve's require you to STAND and have a dedicated space set up?

I won't see that being any success if true.
No. Valve allows you to stand and have a dedicated space set up, because their tracking solution is the most complete and flexible.

big_z

the valve head set is by far the most promising at this point. the discussion about it on the tested podcast really shows just how much of an improvement it is over the competition

oculus has been quiet for a while. they were sharing tech info with valve so who knows what the final hardware will be like, im guessing it will be on par with the vive. if its not then they fucked up.

Morpheus is a mistake as it is right now. sony wanting to get into vr is great but they need to keep it in the oven for ps5 to make it really shine. the hardware is already outclassed by other hmd's and the ps4 just doesn't have the power to do vr justice like the competition. They're limited to a lower screen res and using Band-Aid solutions like motion interpolation to make up for the weak hardware. it reminds me of the Kinect a good idea that was released undercooked.

alouette

Holo Lens.
I don't like to be fully extracted from the real world because of the motion sickness.
Also I like the enhancements which are possible with AR-technology. I always giggle like a kid when I use the AR cards with my PS Vita. So stunning, to see those animals jumping around on my table. By not having the restrictions anymore with having the code card in camera focus while pressing buttons, this can become a real step forward having the equipment mounted to your head.
Even those Illumiroom (was it called like that?)projections are possible for enhancing the TV screen. The perfect add on for gaming.

And I'd like to watch TV while washing the dishes...but a real TV in the kitchen is a no go for me.

mitchman

Gold Member
I'm getting the Morpheus and whichever PC VR headset that is released first among the Valve and the Oculus sets. Oculus' best bet might be to release a few months before Valve to get the early adopters, it seems.

I'm agreeing with John Carmack.

GearVR won't be the most awesome thing in the world, but the sheer portability of the unit will be the "infection vector", as he put it, to getting people to try vr out in the first place. It's the demo unit.

As for the first gen PC units, they are all aiming for the same "Presence" baseline of 1080p90hz100fov per eye (oh gods people are going to be using this abbreviation on neogaf, mark my words), so it's really going to be whoever's first to post, because the enthusiasts and non-gaming business interests waiting for a consumer HMD for PC (the ones who want VR NOW) will just buy the first one that comes out.

Morpheus will be the one to get the VR Mario 64 though, for sure. Sony are looking at all the VR stuff on the way, and they will definitely be the ones to get the right balance for a VR game that everyone will be able to enjoy.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Most interested - Valve VR seems to have the best tech, controller and highest presence. Plus Valve / Steam platform support.

Very interested - Morpheus is the most mainstream option, Move controls, decent tech and part of the PlayStation platform.

Not interested - Oculus while the original, it seems more and more like a directionless R&D experiment with no shot of becoming a platform.

hodgy100

If Sony let Morpheus work on PC, then Morpheus all the way! otherwise its a toss up between the Vive or occulus for me. having one headset for both my pc and ps4 would be great though.

If I could edit the title, I'd remove VR and just call them HMDs. I counted HoloLens in the list because I think many people would only be able to afford or bother with one device.

it doesnt belong in the line-up with the rest of these devices though, its a different device for a different purpose.

Harlequin

In terms of what I'm actually going to get, it'll be Morpheus simply because I don't have a PC powerful enough to seriously consider VR gaming on it (though I do think that the Morpheus is a great piece of tech from what I've seen so I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it). If I weren't confined by what platforms I have, though, I would've probably gone with the Valve/HTC headset.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not interested - Oculus while the original, it seems more and more like a directionless R&D experiment with no shot of becoming a platform.

I tend to agree with this, sadly.

I mean, they are still the OG's of this latest VR trend and have pretty much defined the rules and requirements for good VR. Their work and passion for the product have made it all happen.

But I feel like Valve and Sony have taken their vision to an actual marketable and consumer-oriented level that leaves Oculus in the dust right now. Oculus are likely getting beaten to market with the competitors sporting superior hardware and functionality from day one. I know Oculus had a huge following in the PC gaming world but I can already kind of see it evaporate since the Valve announcement. That's why you should never choose a side too quickly.

I will take my sweet ass time to follow the developments in the space and make my decisions once the dust has settled. I don't think Oculus will come out on top.

creyas

No idea about Valve vs Oculus yet, but will be getting one of them for sure.

Most excited for Morpheus for the it just works aspect. But i guess obviously we'll have 'direct mode' for everything when the others hit anyway and clear indicators for if it's working optimally and how to get it to work so, no mysterious judder etc.

Have a DK2.

Probably Valve at this point, simply because they have a release date. If Oculus gets their shit together and announces a date for this year, I'll be leaning towards them after reading that it possibly has the best image quality, that's my biggest concern with the Rift devkits. I'm not that interested in Valve's walkaround stuff.

I'm going to get Morpheus too, though I'm kind of wary about VR on a closed console platform. Though I do think Sony will have plenty of interesting exclusive content, enough to make it worth getting.

Nakazato

Vive. I trust valve more than Facebook

And Sony's headset.

But going to wait for the apps that push the hardware 1st

Morpheus (Sony fanboy hurr)

For me it feels much like the PS2 DVD situation, sans of course the fact that the DVD player in the PS2 came with the system. Morpheus looks super cool, the technology seems quite sound (though I understand it isn't the most powerful?) and the fact that I am a Sony Gamer means the "transition" should be painless!

Of course I'll need to buy Morpheus first...

And then an Eye Camera.

And then a Move or updated Move controller.

Hmmm. ;/

Here's a redditor making an in-depth comparison between the 3. Focused on the HMDs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2yad4l/the_big_3_a_comparison_of_htc_valve_vive_oculus/
Very interesting.

A few things struck me about this comparison. He makes a point of saying that it is not one spec that determines the quality of VR, yet by trying to analyse them in detail like this he is essentially doing that. He says that he could detect lag in the Morpheus positional tracking, but then says he couldn't really tell any difference between the fidelity of Vive and Sony controllers. There is no mention of the strength of presence he felt in all of them. I may be reading too much into it, but he strikes me as someone who has either a very high or very low presence threshold, where either all or none of these headsets are doing it for him, resulting in this conclusion that they're all surprisingly close. This is very different from other reports, where people have gone bananas for Vive, but not the others, which is the kind of reaction of someone who has found their presence threshold. It seems like the response and accuracy of the Vive controllers are what is taking people over the edge, but he was saying 'ehh, the Move controllers are fine'. It's a good example of how we all seem to react differently to this technology.

(also he pointed out that CB is similar to DK2 FOV, which I must have forgotten about from the first round of reports - I thought it was up to DK1 spec again)

Most interested - Valve VR seems to have the best tech, controller and highest presence. Plus Valve / Steam platform support.
There is no indication that the Rift won't get Valve/Steam platform support. The best-supported VR headset on Steam is the DK2. This may change of course, but would Valve really lock out Oculus headsets from Steam? That's something I could imagine Apple doing, not Valve.

Durante

I don't think it's a question of Valve locking out Oculus from supporting SteamVR, but rather of Oculus not allowing SteamVR support for their hardware.

Remember that all players are in this to own the platform.

pestul

I was pretty dead set on getting Oculus CV1, but the Vive really mixed that up. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Vive first, or wait until both have been out on the market for a few months.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Well I have a DK1 & a DK2 but I'm mainly looking forward to the Morpheus to use with PS4 I really just want plug & play hopefully they make other HMDs more plug & play for pc

I don't think it's a question of Valve locking out Oculus from supporting SteamVR, but rather of Oculus not allowing SteamVR support for their hardware.

Remember that all players are in this to own the platform.

That's suicide.

That's one area where Oculus will ever be able to catch up. Valve already have a wildly successful store, and soon to be wildly successful game engine. Oculus needs to go all in with their HMDs and controllers since that's where they can differentiate themselves. That, and non-gaming applications.

I do wonder if Oculus Store/Oculus' first party titles get Vive support however. It's just the simple inverse, but somehow it seems a lot less likely to me.

Tigress

Morpheus. Solely cause that's the one I have a chance of actually trying out/owning. (No PC, just Mac). Course it depends on price and my budget at the time so it's still a bit of a longshot for me. But at least it's a possibility unlike the other stuff.

myca77

The closest I've been to VR hands on is using my iPhone and the Tool album 10,000 days to watch a few oculus play throughs. Not the perfect solution to see what's happening, but it has given me a glimpse as to what could and should be happening in this space. With friends telling me how good the rift is (those who have had hands on experience of course), and other reviews of the upcoming devices it does have me somewhat exited.

As for which headset, I'll probably grab the sony one if the pricing and support is right and then wait to see what happens in the PC space a little more. One thing that had always concerned me was the want to play racing/driving games in VR with a proper wheel, as you really need to see the wheel and shifter in front of you (the pedals not so much) if you're as inexperienced with racing games as I am. Valve may have just solved that issue. Having a 1 to 1 reproduction of the actual peripheral in game that you are using in real life should be amazing. I just hope that I don't have to buy a whole new wheel and that Thrustmaster could do some sort of after market kit.

The closest I've been to VR hands on is using my iPhone and the Tool album 10,000 days to watch a few oculus play throughs.
Well I know it's a powerful album but I don't see how listening to.... OH. What a great idea! I've got that case somewhere, I have to try this!

Durante

That's suicide.

That's one area where Oculus will ever be able to catch up. Valve already have a wildly successful store, and soon to be wildly successful game engine. Oculus needs to go all in with their HMDs and controllers since that's where they can differentiate themselves. That, and non-gaming applications.
I agree, but I still wouldn't discount the possibility of them trying to push their own store by making their HMD incompatible with SteamVR.

Damn.

The other video (Vive vs Rift) on that YouTube channel is great too.

I'm very excited about VR but there is no way I can "decide" on a product at this point, not even lean towards a particular one. Too early for that. I think I might also end up skipping the first generation of consumer headsets altogether and jump in a year later or something.

I do feel kind of sorry for Oculus how they seemingly lost most of their hype overnight. Before GDC the Oculus Rift was synonymous with VR, people would use the words interchangeably. Not anymore.

RetroStu

Banned
Morpheus because i'm much more of a console game.
Thats a shame though because i sense the PC headsets will get much more integration into full retail games, either by the devs or by mods. It seems with Morpheus that a lot of the games will have to be games that are actually developed for Morpheus.

Kyonashi

it doesnt belong in the line-up with the rest of these devices though, its a different device for a different purpose.

I think the point still stands though, most people will only buy one. The thread question is which one are you interested in and why. "Because I'm more interested in AR than VR" is a perfectly valid response.

Sinistral

I'm still waiting to hear how CV1 pans out. If it releases just up to a quarter after the Vive, with just as good tracking and inputs but better screen I'd go for that. But that's a lot of ifs. Planning to build a PC at the end of the year for this VR stuff either way. Morpheus will be picked up regardless as well for my PS4.

Clawww

Vive, followed by HoloLens. MS actually seems like they've made something pretty fucking cool, and Valve pushing their own VR is too exciting considering the space they occupy in gaming.

Itachi87

Valve's VR. Would be interested in seeing all the different Valve headsets. They seem to be the most impressive right now technology-wise gauging from the different previews out there. I'm mostly a PC Steam user anyways and have more faith in Valve.

So the hype for HMDs seems to only be building and building, with new versions of the Oculus Rift every few months over the last couple years, and more companies getting in the game like Sony, Microsoft, and now HTC/Valve. It's all pretty exciting and the next year or so is gonna be pretty big with (hopefully) most of the big names launching their flagship products.

I'm sure many people are like me and started hearing about this as a serious thing when the Oculus kickstarter launched, but now there seem to be enough serious competitors it's time to take a look at which one would be best for you and why. I'm interested on hearing what some of you are interested in and your reasons because I'm not entirely sure myself.

I've compiled some data on the current HMD options, but please be aware that because of the constant updates and a lot of information floating around some information may be missing/incorrect. I'll try and keep an eye on the thread and update this post with updated info if people correct me.

Let's take a look at some of the top options:

Rift [Oculus (owned by Facebook)]
Release: TBA 2015
Price: between $200 and $400 (expected)
Latest version: Crescent Bay (Sept 2014)
Tech Specs: TBA (2560x1440p expected), ~20ms latency (estimate)
Previous versions: Dev Kit 1 (Sept 2012), Crystal Cove (Jan 2014), Dev Kit 2 (July 2014)

Vive [HTC+Valve]
Release: Late 2015
Price: TBA ($300?)
Tech Specs: 90Hz refresh rate, 2400 x 1080p

Morpheus [Sony]
Release: Early 2016
Price: TBA (under $1000)
Tech Specs: 120Hz refresh rate, 1920x1080, <18ms latency

Hololens [Microsoft]
Release: TBA
Price: TBA
Tech Specs: Mostly unknown, transparent lenses

OSVR [Razer]
Release: ETA June 2015
Price: $199.99
Tech Specs: 1080x1920 OLED display, open-source

Smartphone mounts
Gear VR [Samsung/Oculus]
Released: Out now (December 2014)
Price: $199, $249 with Bluetooth gamepad
Tech Specs: Just a head mounting case, specific Snapdragon variants of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 can be used as the screen. 1280x144 per eye, < 20 ms latency.

VR for G3 [LG]
Release: March 2015
Price: free to customers who purchase a new LG G3 smartphone
Tech Specs: Another head mounting case, just a set of lenses that fit over the LG G3.

Cardboard [Google]
Released: Out now (2014)
Price: $20-25 (or make your own)
Tech Specs: It's made of cardboard. 2 x biconvex 45mm EFL acrylic lenses.

What are your current thoughts on VR/HMDs? What are you planning on getting, if any, and why?

Holy heck...really? There's that many? Simple answer...none. Who wants some silly contraption on top fo their head. I can't imagine gaming for any reasonable amount of time without feeling fatigued from the weight of those on my head.

Motion controllers...pass.

VR headsets...pass.

Were Oculus the only game in town, I'd probably go with them.

But they're not, so I'll likely just go with Valve. Or, most likely, wait for everything to be out, hear what people think, and then decide.

Top Bottom