• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR head-mounted display are you most interested in and why?

DavidDesu

The poster from Redditor said this which is pleasantly surprising:

"Surprisingly, the pixels were LESS noticeable when compared with Vive! 1920x1080 against 2160x1200, with 20% fewer pixels, Sony seems to use a different pixel distribution combined with the RGB stripe arrangement’s fuller pixel fill to dramatically improve perceived pixel density. Though they have similar FOV and the same resolution, Morpheus has nowhere near the dreaded “screen door effect” found in Oculus DK2."

That Redditor does sound ever so slightly biased towards Sony but if what he says is actually true it's a good indication of where Sony is, and it really isn't far behind, if it's even behind at all. It all seems pretty even stevens at the moment. PC VR users might have access to more wide ranging experiences (and adult content) but they may vary wildly in quality, Sony with their closed platform and one app store might curate a store with less experiences but all of a suitably high quality to really show off VR, and all plug and play, no fiddling with settings for different games to get the best experience which I'm pretty sure is what PC VR will be like for many. It's all to play for.

Currently most interested in Morpheus, if only because it's the only VR HMD that I'm certain to buy since there will be no other option for PS4. There isn't really anything to waffle over. It'll be a fixed option for fixed hardware. And it'll play anything released for it.

PC will have different options to consider. We will have to wait for final hardware and what software/stores will be supported for it. In addition to that, I'm playing the "best time to build a new PC" game. Stacked memory is supposed to bring big performance gains to future GPUs, so it makes little sense to build a PC now, when we still have to wait for both final VR products and stacked mem GPUs.

Faith

Holy heck...really? There's that many? Simple answer...none. Who wants some silly contraption on top fo their head. I can't imagine gaming for any reasonable amount of time without feeling fatigued from the weight of those on my head.

Motion controllers...pass.

VR headsets...pass.
Played 8 hours of Elite Danergous with the DK2, absolutely no problem.

And you really compare something like this to motion controllers? It's life-changing, the immersion is just outstanding.

rickyson1

I was just gonna get a rift whenever the consumer version came out but i'm starting to get a little confused at this point with so many things coming out now

whichever of the rift/vive is better I guess

hatchx

Banned
I'm most interested in Oculus Rift, but I'm not too well-versed in the other ones.

I just figured it's been a long road for Oculus, so I have a feeling the games will be ready. As Facebook's first foray into gaming, I feel like they'll push some dollar bills around for the right software.

As for Morpheus, it could be great, but Sony has never impressed me with their peripherals. If they did a better attempt to justify my Move purchase on PS3, I'd consider it. Right now, I remain skeptical.

DavidDesu

I'm quoting "FlyingWaffleED" who commented on that Reddit post, in his comment he was complaining about setup issues with Oculus on PC and he goes on to say this:

"Anyway, my point is that Oculus problem isnt the hmd's pixel structure, or the tracking implementation, or the weight of the hmd... The real headache is solving those setup issues in the PC environment. Even for the most hardcore VR PC enthusiast it's a real challenge, there are just too many parameters to check between the OS (aero on or off in Windows, HMD as primary or secondary, main monitor refresh rate, etc), the video card (driver version, general level settings for anti-aliasing, v-synch, etc), the game level stuff (resolution, mode, how to be sure if low persistence is on, if timewarp is on, framerate cap, etc), it's going to be a freaking nightmare for "regular" PC gamers. Oculus said they would try and create some sort of diagnosis tool, but I haven't heard any news."

To me this is the serious issue that I think PC VR gaming is going to come across. I've only had a couple of PC's in the past and use a Macbook now (never for gaming) and PC's, or computers in general just suffer from this crap. Glitches with your particular build that no one else might have, because of some random software you perhaps installed or any one of a million other potential problems.

VR needs to be smooth, it needs to function near perfectly or else the experience is tarnished and you may even feel ill from it. I fear using a PC for VR for some unlucky people is going to be a nightmare if their particular PC has some random issue with it that is a pain in the ass to fix. The contrast with a console solution could not be greater. Power is irrelevant if one can provide reliable and impressive VR, even if at a lower graphical quality, while the PC solution can look amazing, but only after you've trouble-shot a random issue for 2 hours online to get it working correctly.

Maybe I'm way off, maybe PC gaming nowadays is a more reliable beast, but frankly I don't expect that it is. PC gaming elitists love to talk about modding game files, this that and the next thing, and can run Skyrim at 200fps or whatever. Maybe they don't mind the tinkering, indeed they relish it. But for 99% of people, especially when they won't have anything like the powerhouse gaming PC's of the elitists, then tinkering is just a hassle, it may even be completely beyond their grasp. Morpheus on PS4 will allow your mum to don a headset and get going experiencing something with little help required. PC on the other hand...?

I think VR will explode on PS4 before it does so on PC's, regardless of the possible differential in graphics between them.

Brofist

Probably the Valve or Oculus Rift for me, I don't trust Sony to actually support the thing after their other peripherals.

I agree. It may be the bad aftertaste that Move left with me, I went all in on it. I still do break out Sports Champions on occasion though.

I think VR will explode on PS4 before it does so on PC's, regardless of the possible differential in graphics between them.

I don't know if I agree with this. I think the Sony version of VR will be a very spoonfed experience. I think they'll have a few slick looking apps and games that show off the potential, but I think the openness of the PC platform will mean some very innovative stuff will be released.

Not commenting on the rest of your post. Just the same very outdated ideas about PC gaming that get tossed around.

DavidDesu

I don't know if I agree with this. I think the Sony version of VR will be a very spoonfed experience. I think they'll have a few slick looking apps and games that show off the potential, but I think the openness of the PC platform will mean some very innovative stuff will be released.

Not commenting on the rest of your post. Just the same very outdated ideas about PC gaming that get tossed around.

I did say I've not owned a PC in a while now so maybe I am wrong on that.

The thing with the PS4 and Sony in general in the last couple of years is that they've really opened up. Indie games have exploded on the platform and it seems to get the best of what's out in the indie market. I see no reason why VR titles won't equally come to PS4 in just the same way. All the VR setups work more or less the same and PS4 is an easy platform to develop for. If there's a good indie VR game I expect it will come to PS4. PS4 is comparable to maybe a mid level PC from all accounts. PCVR is still going to have to contend with that level of spec on PC so there's no reason PS4 cannot get all these experiences brought over as well. The good thing with Morpheus will definitely be the fact it's a closed spec system to develop for and there should hopefully be a reasonably large market for publishers to target on PS4. If Sony get the headset price right they're looking to have sold 30-40 million PS4's by the time Morpheus arrives. Even just 10-20% of that market buying Morpheus makes a large market of people desperately wanting great VR content. I imagine further along it may be 50% or even more of total PS4 owners get Morpheus, if it's as good as they say and if there's that initial few titles that blow people away and get them invested. (No Man's Sky... :p)

Yaari

Vive and Morpheus right now.

Probably the Valve or Oculus Rift for me, I don't trust Sony to actually support the thing after their other peripherals.

That would be awful if that were to be the end of it. I think the primary issue with the other things was that it just did not really catch on to the public too much either. I hope that is different for VR. I'm happy there is atleast a very big potential audience.

At the end it is up to Sony to present interesting software that people want to experience. Right now there is nothing, so they really have to make sure there is something out there.

Brofist

I understand where you are coming from. I guess to me it's better not commenting if that's the case. I wouldn't talk about the PS4 if say, the PS1 was my last experience with consoles.

I'm sure there will be a nice mix of indies and high budget games for the Morpheus, but I still think the really experimental type stuff, the more rough yet interesting stuff will be found on the PC.

I think in the last 7 or so years PCs (and by extension Windows) have become a much more consistent and stable platform to run software on. I just don't think there is that much variety in configurations these days, there's only really two CPU vendors and 2 GPU vendors to account for now, and the actual architecture of hardware doesn't change nearly as rapidly as it once did.

I haven't encountered the serious kinds of issues you describe in a very long time on Windows personally.

I don't think Windows gets enough credit these days.

Josman

I was first interested in both Oculus for being on PC which meant a lot of support and raw power, and Morpheus for the closed ecosystem which means easy media consumption and not worrying about setting it for a correct experience, hence greater market adaption.

But Valve's... It got my attention, can anyone explain what exactly makes the tracking different from the others? how will it translate to actual applications?

Game4life

Banned
I prefer gaming on consoles to PC so will prefer Morpheus. However if at all anything will make me finally invest money in PC gaming is Rift and Vive based on the quality of content and the experience.

Poop!

In order:

Vive > Oculus Rift > Morpheus > Hologlass.

Oculus Rift is Facebook and console makers have a horrible track record of supporting peripherals that don't ship with the machine. So Valve/Steam have my eyes at launch.

Top Bottom