• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR head-mounted display are you most interested in and why?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Morpheus right now, Vive right after.

Project Morpheus sounds like it has been in the works for years and the PS4 seems to be designed precisely for intended use with this headset. I get the impression that they take this thing very seriously and hopefully won't treat it as an afterthought like their me-too products like the Move.

I think morpheus is the only device here that's offering a complete, full-scale comfortable VR experience for a non-astronomical entrance fee. There's 20 million PS4's out there in living rooms already and while photorealism won't be as convincing as compared to a 1500$ PC rig, that's just a small subsection of possible VR experiences. Give me Wipeout on Morpheus.

Sabree

Neo Member
I have a mild interest in Morpheus. I'm thinking about selling my pc, so the others don't really appeal to me.

Stimpack

Haha ok then.
Regardless of experience, I don't think that anyone could know where the chips will lie. If you have a deep insight into Valve's history with VR, I would be genuinely interested in hearing it. As I've said, Oculus has had more transparency than most companies. There's no way for me to know what happens behind the scenes.

Pretty sure he had something to do with HL2 VR, think he may know a little bit here and there :)
Ah, I wasn't aware. There are a lot of people who claim to know everything about everything in defense of their argument. Especially when it's in defense of something they care about.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Anyone worried about neck pains with these things. I'm curious how much pain people are in after long sessions with them. Any articles are testing done on this end?

FourMyle

TBH everything that isn't Occulus Rift feels like a side-project gimmick that will quickly be abandoned by these other companies. I fully expect Sony's Morpheus to go the way of the Move in less than a year post-launch.

It would be cool if the Rift succeeded in the gaming industry and attracted some AAA big name devs, but I still doubt that is going to happen. At most they will attach some cheap "VR mode" to a few games and then it will be forgotten.

If Occulus can get some AAA companies to make fully featured games made for VR from the ground up then I would be excited.

Foggy

Anyone worried about neck pains with these things. I'm curious how much pain people are in after long sessions with them. Any articles are testing done on this end?

It's a bit of a moot point considering the only options people have access to aren't the final products. Comfort isn't exactly a high priority when they're just development kits. There are varying levels of discomfort, but it mostly falls on the "irritating" end of the spectrum rather than "pain".

Until they prove that this isn't the next "3D is taking over gaming"...none of them are of any interest to me.

They've already proven it by showing demo after demo that reliably blows people away... something 3DTV never did for anyone. There was no desire for 3D, other than manufacturers desire to try and force it on us. That isn't the case with VR.

I have mild arthritis in my neck from a car accident. I own a DK2 and have used it hours at a time with no issue. Actually constantly turning my head loosens it up a bit and prevents cramp settling in.

FourMyle

They've already proven it by showing demo after demo that reliably blows people away... something 3DTV never did for anyone.

Wrong. The Wii was blowing people away as well yet look how that ended up. It means absolutely nothing if there isn't huge developer support for these devices.

Mindlog

I'm most interested in the VR headsets that come with great games and avoid nausea.
The insipid console wars styled platform cheerleading makes me a little queasy.

Qwell

Tough to say yet since they all seem so far away still. Plus the VR aspect doesn't really do anything for me, I think it would just be a gimmick for me. Mostly I just want an HMD for gaming / movies for the virtual theater experience. Because of that I mostly just care about the FOV and resolution. I want to make it feel like I'm playing games or watching movies in a theater, with a big giant screen. I need something without the screendoor effect and is comfy on my head.

Really hope we start seeing demo stations pop up around different areas so we can actually try some of these out, hard to even think of dropping the money without seeing it first hand.

Morpheus right now, Vive right after.

Project Morpheus sounds like it has been in the works for years and the PS4 seems to be designed precisely for intended use with this headset. I get the impression that they take this thing very seriously and hopefully won't treat it as an afterthought like their me-too products like the Move.

I think morpheus is the only device here that's offering a complete, full-scale comfortable VR experience for a non-astronomical entrance fee. There's 20 million PS4's out there in living rooms already and while photorealism won't be as convincing as compared to a 1500$ PC rig, that's just a small subsection of possible VR experiences. Give me Wipeout on Morpheus.

Valve and Oculus have also been working on this thing for years, and the entrance fee (sans the actual gaming hardware) will likely be close, if not more expensive for the Morpheus.

If you need a turn-key solution for PC VR just get a steam box. If you want the most cost effectiveness, build a PC. I understand if neither option is attractive to you, but it should come down to the fact that you don't want to spend money on a gaming PC. Beyond that, I would have to disagree that the Morpheus has much of anything to offer beyond the Vive or Oculus.

Wrong. The Wii was blowing people away as well yet look how that ended up. It means absolutely nothing if there isn't huge developer support for these devices.

Over 100 million people cared about owning a Wii. But third party developers didn't really have a passion to develop for it and it had other problems such as weaker hardware essentially excluding PS3/360 ports, and ultimately technological limitations that made it unappealing to the gamers VR appeals to. There is a passion for VR. Whether that translates to plenty of games we'll have to wait and see. It's not a sure thing immediately because of course pumping money into a peripheral is always a risk, but the passion is there... just look at the 500+ demos already available for the DK2 in just 6 months.

Alx

They've already proven it by showing demo after demo that reliably blows people away... something 3DTV never did for anyone. There was no desire for 3D, other than manufacturers desire to try and force it on us. That isn't the case with VR.

I think he means 3D like "Super Mario 64" replacing "Super Mario Bros". *edit : or not. Anyway the point below still stands.
That polygonal 3D has been a major turn in gaming history, and now 3D games are the norm. There is no hard proof that it will be the same for VR.

As a glasses wearer, Morpheus is the clear front-runner for me at this point.

Don't all headsets let users wear glasses ? I'm pretty sure the Rift does anyway.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm most interested in the VR headsets that come with great games and avoid nausea.
The insipid console wars styled platform cheerleading makes me a little queasy.
Its like there's this inherent need for some people to pick sides on something.

Normally, you can put it down to purchase justification, but there's obviously more to it.

Dmented

Banned
I don't know yet, still time to see stuff coming out/updates. But I will absolutely not buy anything tied to a console only.

I think he means 3D like "Super Mario 64" replacing "Super Mario Bros". *edit : or not. Anyway the point below still stands.
That polygonal 3D has been a major turn in gaming history, and now 3D games are the norm. There is no hard proof that it will be the same for VR.

He said until VR proves it isn't "3D taking over gaming", implying it was a bad thing, so I assumed he's talking about the push of 3DTV last gen.

Don't all headsets let users wear glasses ? I'm pretty sure the Rift does anyway.

Yep. So does the Vive. It might not be the most comfortable yet, but they're prototype headsets (and in terms of final design, Morpheus seems much closer to what its consumer model will look like than Crescent Bay).

Vive is currently the top spot for me. May look silly with the lighthouses mounted on the walls, but assuming the tracking is excellent, I won't mind. Rift is a close number two, and may still surpass it depending on consumer model (though, same with the Vive!).

Morpheus has the best ergonomics from everything I've seen, but the resolution is not where I'd like it to be. If console is your main choice, it will be fine, but using the DK2 with a 1080p display has shown me resolution should really be pushed. Vive is 25% higher resolution, so things like reading text will be much easier than on Morpheus. Plus, without PC support, it seems limiting to me. If Sony added PC support, with an available SDK and integrated it into the engines and provided a native SDK as well, that would be much better.

AgeEighty

Im not riding any hype train, i am a developer.

Developers are immune to hype? I remember when that happened, never years ago.

As a developer, you should already appreciate that we're looking at prerelease products here which are still in development and not finalized, whose ecosystems are in their nascent stages, with a lot of intangibles to consider. Raw pre-release specs and time spent in the lab don't award Valve the gold medal by default.

I'll probably end up getting a Morpheus and a Vive. But the Vive vs Oculus debate won't get settled until each announce their final price/specs

Morpheus is a lock, though

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oculus is the only one I trust.

The keyword there is trust, because oculus actually feels like it has a lot of continual support behind it.

We know it's pricing model
We know it's specs
We can actually buy it
We know it works
We know the dev team has quality staff members on it

There are just too many unknowns with the others. VIVE has the coolest tech ideas but like I don't trust valve with releasing hardware.

Obscured

Interested in all of them. I'm glad that there are a few different approaches being taken. I'm very wary of the price point though and will probably wait till version 2 or even 3 of these are out. I feel like that will hit the sweet spot for me of product quality and polish (I'm expecting sleeker versions of these at some point), support and price.

The ones that I would probably pull the trigger on sooner are HoloLens and Morpheus, but Vive is right there, something I just like about the look of it, seems like some kind of future military hardware.

Depends if Morpheus works with PC, if it does I'll need more info on Rift, Vive and Morpheus. If not, it's between Rift and Vive, no way I'll let the stupid amount of software that will be available on PC in favor of Morpheus + PS4.

Osahi

I am a console player only, so that leaves morpheus and hololens.

And as hololens looks impressive, but gives me a big "smoke and mirrors" feeling, that leaves morpheus.

If I'll jump wil depend on software though, allthough i can see myself using a mount as a 3d movie vizor too.

Morpheus, because it will (hopefully) be an immediate works-out-of-the-box experience, and (hopefully) will at least see some decent support from Sony. I'm also expecting it to eventually work on PCs (either officially or via hacks).

If Morpheus wows me I will probably upgrade my PC and get Vive.

AgeEighty

The thing about Vive is that while the motion tracking tech is very impressive, it's not a practical experience for my living situation. There's nowhere in my house that's large and obstruction-free enough to truly enjoy Vive to its potential.

Having Valve behind Vive means it's my top choice at the moment. With steam and Valve's outlook on PC gaming, I back their concept the most so far.

Krejlooc

Banned
Developers are immune to hype? I remember when that happened, never years ago.

As a developer, you should already appreciate that we're looking at prerelease products here which are still in development and not finalized, whose ecosystems are in their nascent stages, with a lot of intangibles to consider. Raw pre-release specs and time spent in the lab don't award Valve the gold medal by default.

The point being that I understand the specs and thats why I am calling their product superior. I'm not arguing from gut feeling. What they've announced is what I and other developers have been calling for.

You honestly don't know what you're talking about. Further, you've attempted to twist my words - the original point I was responding to was the claim that Valve's attempt at VR is a quick cash grab.

The thing about Vive is that while the motion tracking tech is very impressive, it's not a practical experience for my living situation. There's nowhere in my house that's large and obstruction-free enough to truly enjoy Vive to its potential.

Case in point. All you need is a chair.

AgeEighty

The point being that I understand the specs and thats why I am calling their product superior. I'm not arguing from gut feeling. What they've announced is what I and other developers have been calling for.

I never said you're arguing from gut feeling; I said you're jumping the gun because there will be a lot more involved in choosing which VR product to buy than what we know today. The specs aren't even finalized, nor do we have firm release dates or pricing. Oculus still has cards to play.

As far as this being what the dev community wants in opposition to the Rift or other products, the community is very large, and you don't speak for them all. I would be highly dubious of anyone who claimed to.

Case in point. All you need is a chair.

Yes, I'm aware that it works in the traditional fashion along with the full-room tracking fashion (which is what everyone is getting hyped about). My point was that this more vaunted functionality will be largely useless to me. But your insults in response to my real product concerns really go a long way to making you sound authoritative; great job.

For Gaming? Morpheus, because I've already got a companion device to it that I use all the time.

For everything else? HoloLens. It's even got a great name.

Best functionality for the lowest price will trump all though.

Krejlooc

Banned
Asking out of ignorance, what are the benefits of Vive's solution over Crescent Bay's for seated play?

No risk of occlusion.

As far as this being what the dev community wants in opposition to the Rift or other products, the community is very large, and you don't speak for them all. I would be highly dubious of anyone who claimed to.

There is no dev out there who understands how this works who prefers outside-in positional tracking to inside-out positional tracking.

Yes, I'm aware that it works in the traditional fashion along with the full-room tracking fashion (which is what everyone is getting hyped about). My point was that this more vaunted functionality will be largely useless to me. But your insults in response to my real product concerns really go a long way to making you sound authoritative; great job.

You think it's useless to you, because you don't know how it will affect your seated experience.

Most interested in Morpheus for reasons I can't fathom (I do have a gaming PC), but crazy interested in Vive as well (hate that name though), I think if I see the controllers in action it'll bump it past Morpheus for me.

Tetranet

Meh, I'll be happy with anything as long as it works.

I'm satisfied with just being able to sit on my chair, headphones on, and find myself in the middle of a forest in Skyrim, Hyrule or w/e.

That's all I need, really, a forest.

Elandyll

Banned
Not sure if Hololens (AR) should be in the OP for VR, but #shrug

Simply for the "end user" experience, I would trust Sony (and would Google as well, but not sure where they are going wtih Cardboard) to put out a well finished product, comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, that adapts well to a glasses wearer (me) and that isn't a nightmare to setup.

The specs look also like they will fit the bill just fine for an immersive experience, and my guess is that producing software where you will have a "Blue Ocean" type universe for the hardware (Morpheus is likely to have 0 competition on PS4) means that devs will probably feel more "safety" to develop for a platform that will not go through drastic changes or simply disappear due to competition, and won't have to deal with incompatibilities / feature specs differing from one set to another (an XB1 or WiiU solution would have the same advantage), so I think we may see more small studios experimenting on PS4 tbh, but I may be wrong on that.

The last element that make me "tend" to go for Morpheus is that Sony already has a well documented amount of accessories for motion detection (Move / Camera), that should add a lot to the experience (and there too, there is no competition which means the hardware is -known- and has little risk of having driver/ compatibility/ feature set issues).

So in short: Morpheus, although I am not entirely discounting the possibility for Occulus.
(for a mobile version, for media consumption, not sure where I'd go. Too expensive for that kind of use for me atm)

AgeEighty

There is no dev out there who understands how this works who prefers outside-in positional tracking to inside-out positional tracking.

But the tracking tech isn't the only factor determining which product a dev may prefer to develop for. Not by far.

You think it's useless to you, because you don't know how it will affect your seated experience.

How fortunate we are to have you here to tell us all how to think and what we know.

My statement stands.

I am not interested in VR. However, if I had to choose, I would choose the Morpheus for a couple reasons:

1. I already own a PS4
2. I don't trust game-hardware from anyone who isnt a game-hardware manufacturer with in-house development teams with a good track record of supporting that hardware.
3. That leaves only the Microsoft one and the Sony one.
4. Microsoft hardware has a terrible track record.
5. Sony is the only manufacturer among these that have a proven track record in gaming hardware and a good reputation with that same hardware.

AgeEighty

I am not interested in VR. However, if I had to choose, I would choose the Morpheus for a couple reasons:

1. I already own a PS4
2. I don't trust game-hardware from anyone who isnt a game-hardware manufacturer with in-house development teams with a good track record of supporting that hardware.
3. That leaves only the Microsoft one and the Sony one.
4. Microsoft hardware has a terrible track record.
5. Sony is the only manufacturer among these that have a proven track record in gaming hardware and a good reputation with that same hardware.

Counter-argument: Sony has an abysmal record with supporting peripherals.

Krejlooc

Banned
But the tracking tech isn't the only factor determining which product a dev may prefer to develop for. Not by far.

For vr developers? It absolutely is.

How fortunate we are to have you here to tell us all how to think and what we know.

My statement stands.

Yes yes, its neat to have uninformed opinions. Sorry for shining light on how this shit works, i wont bother you further with annoying details .

Top Bottom