• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR head-mounted display are you most interested in and why?

I've got a DK2 but right now I'm most interested in the HTC one.

Better specs, and a promising controller, and Valve is a proven content creator.

Visceir

Probably morpheus since they seem to be focusing on the software as well and will hopefully launch with some killer apps/games.

AngryMoth

I have no idea at the moment to be honest. Will come down to price and software support. I would hope that most games support all 3 (assuming morpheus is pc compatible), but that might not end up being the case.

Then there's the crazy vive controllers to consider, that might end up being a selling point.

But I assume Sony (annoyingly) won't allow vive and oculus compatibility with PS4 which will likely push me towards Morpheus. Sony seems to have struck up a good relationship with hello games and I believe no man's sky runs at 60 so I'd say it's possible that could be a launch title. That would be a killer app for me, that game is perfect for VR.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After reading all the impressions about the hands-on experience with Vive and how well integrated is all, including the controllers I'm definitely convinced that this is my first option and Rift retail version must include some great upgrades to turn me around. Especially since is also the only one with an official release date in 2015.

no maam

Banned
Rift and vive, because I'm not getting a ps4 till it's dirt cheap. I don't know enough about Hololens, but from what I've seen so far, I don't think it's for me.

Dev Kit 2 was really light. I had no problems at all.
Perhaps if you're comparing it to very outdated VR tech it could be considered 'really light', but in terms of what the general public would be comfortable with supporting on their head for regular VR use, I'd say DK2 is significantly too heavy with poor weight distribution.

Perhaps if you're comparing it to very outdated VR tech it could be considered 'really light', but in terms of what the general public would be comfortable with supporting on their head for regular VR use, I'd say DK2 is significantly too heavy with poor weight distribution.

Which is why the weight was even lighter in the CB.

Wiktor

For now Rift. But I will get the first one that's good, for PC and out for consumers to buy.
Morpheus I'm not interested in. PS4 seems way to weak to deliver good experience in VR

geordiemp

Wil probably get Morpheus for ps4, think it will synergise well with the move controller for some interesting games.

Will probably make / get a gaming PC end of this year, especially if I can pick up Xb1 games I missed on and get a VR headset....either occulus or Valve...don't know, but there will be PC VR experiences that need the grunt of a big GPU only found on PC.

I'm not really interested in any of them to be honest. Taking a wait and see approach. If one of them ends up being amazing I'll think about it.

Of all of them, I'd probably lean towards the Vive. If Morpheus is limited to PS4 only then obviously that's an issue.

I dont want to have to buy a VR headset for PC, Xbone and PS4.

Vive and the Rift.

The others arent even competing.

BUT, im scared of how much the Vive + controllers + sensors could cost.

We´ll see.

In Gaben we trust.

But i trust Carmack too.

Exentryk

Whichever has the most games/content.

Since I own a PS4, I think Morpheus might be the way to go. Hopefully devs support it and bring lots of good games for it.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
I think you have to look wider than "just the headset" as how you interact with the virtual world is just as important.

Morpheus is a "no brainer". It has the advantage that it will "just work" and allow you to get into a game with no hassle using a coupe of Move controllers. Brilliant and probably the cheapest (serious contender...)

The I will get a PC one to go with the Virtuix Omni & STEM controllers I have coming. Tinkering time with cool stuff rather than serious game hours - as that tends to be the nature of PC gaming - expecially when VR is in the mix. And since they are in the "rig" cost is not really a problem... so the "best one" whichever that turns out to be. It is a hard call just now, until we get some more technical information and some "eyes on" time.

The DK2 is a nice stepping stone, but it does make you realise where the problems lie.It needs an even better display, but for me 75Hz is kinda liveable with. But more is more as long as it can run an a reasonable PC... i.e. no SLI and within 500watts.

A deciding factor may well be who makes the fastest/easier interface to get started so you have to spend far LESS time tinkering and more time gaming. Rift has the best chance here as they have had the time and expertise to keep working this.

Waveset

Morpheus for me just because I chose to put my money in a PS4 rather than a new gfx card for the PC.

That's not a 100% commitment, though to drive quality VR on PC I'd have to buy a headset as well as upgrade from a GTX470 and I don't think I can justify the £400-600 needed for this.

But, we have no idea how much Morpheus is going to cost, will it come with a co-processor box which'll drive up the price?

Chabbles

Im interested in all of them. Im getting Morpheus, thats a given. But unsure which one to get for PC right now, alot of unknowns there, need to find out more. I'd like to pick one up before the end of the year if all goes well and theres some decent software.

Lord Phol

A bit early to say for sure with the lot of them still being in a prototype stage. I was going to buy an Occulus Day 1 before all these other VR displays were announced. Now after the big Vive unveiling and impressions I'm not so sure I will be going in day 1 at all.

I'm still really hyped about VR, I've been wanting on this forever, but I might have to wait a bit longer and see who of them comes out on top before investing. If I had to choose now I would probably go with VIVE, the lighthouse stuff + controllers seems like the best and most complete VR experience atm. I'm a bit unsure how well the lighthouse will work in my home enviroment though, and where to actually place them in the house.

UnrealEck

Likely the Oculus Rift because it's based around PC games and also has great tech, the Valve one also interests me for the same reason. Either way, it'll be something which is more PC-targetted so I can enjoy what will undoubtedly be a larger variety and library of titles as well as more peripheral support, customisability and modification and better visuals and performance.

If Oculus or Valve have a good product, or Morpheus is clearly not good or well supported, I'll consider upgrading my computer for them. Otherwise, I'll stick with Morpheus.

I'm just getting a bit annoyed/impatient with Oculus' slow crawl to market, and want a VR headset, so I can possibly start developing for it.

It's not like Valve and Sony whipped up headsets quickly -- they've all been working on this stuff for years, and have all been slow to market -- they're waiting to get it right. Oculus have just been very public about it because they've had 2 developer kits to sell, and they started with limited public funding so they didn't have the luxury of tinkering in private and unveiling relatively soon before release. You said yourself you want to start developing for VR; that's why Oculus have been selling devkits for the past 2 years.

Acheteedo

Vive is putting a lot of effort into this "playspace" stuff that I'm convinced is a gimmick and won't stand the test of time for serious gaming. Oculus Rift is more focused on the seated experience, and should be best suited that.

That said, I'm open to whatever ends up as the best seated experience. Whatever has the best combination of resolution, viewing angle, and latency will get my purchase... or maybe whichever hits the market first.

Sotha_Sil

It depends if I ever decide to get a gaming PC. If I ever did, I'd go all-in and get a powerful rig with Vive or OR. If I choose to not spend that kind of money, maybe Morpheus but I'm not sold on it yet.

Seiru

Banned
Still leaning towards the Rift because the CV1 will probably have a higher resolution than the Vive. If the reviews/experiences/presence of the Vive are higher than the CV1 though, I'll of course buy the Vive.

Morpheus isn't under consideration really, unless there are some crazy good exclusive VR games for it. I'm willing to pay a considerable premium for the best VR experience possible.

This ain't console wars, people. Competition is great, and everybody should keep an open mind!

EDIT: I should also note that I'll probably double-dip into the consumer version of Gear VR, along with whatever PC HMD I decide to buy. Being able to carry around VR with you to show people is too good to pass up, and Carmack has done an amazing job at making it an awesome experience. His talk yesterday really made me a believer.

I'm currently most interested in Morpheus, primarily from the perspective of potential cost and comfort. I already own the things that will be needed for Morpheus (camera, Move) so unless the cost is surprisingly ridiculous, it'll probably be the cheapest and easiest solution. Additionally, from all the impressions between all the headsets, it seems like Morpheus is the most ergonomic and comfortable and works especially well with those with glasses (thanks to the way it is designed to sit on your head), which is something that is super important to me. The fact that Sony is taking VR so seriously is exciting to me, especially in the console space. I'm not terribly worried about if the PS4 has enough power to provide good VR experiences or not, because I'm confident that developers understand that and will make the necessary moves to ensure the experience of VR on the PS4 is still as immersive and incredible as that of stuff on the PC. I think there is going to be incredible stuff on the PS4.

That said, I'm not a fanboy of either platform so I enjoy games on both my PC and my consoles equally and frequently swap between them, so I'm also interested in something for the PC. Hard to say which I'd pick out of the Vive or the Rift at this point. I will buy one. Just don't know which right now. To hard to call... comfort is going to be a big thing for me in addition to cost.

I own both a gaming PC (i5 +970) and a PS4, I'd like a set that works on both platforms, whichever that is. If it's only hardware , morpheus seems the most attractive for me. oled at 120 fps sounds great! If none of these work on both platforms, then I'd go for the best on PC I guess... my card's juice will probably make the experience better, but it's too soon to tell

Nabs

Listening to the Tested guys talk about SteamVR has me so excited. I think I'm rolling with Valve for this one.

Theonik

Listening to the Tested guys talk about SteamVR has me so excited. I think I'm rolling with Valve for this one.
At this point I'd guess this to be the case but the long silence from Oculus leads me to believe this might be too early to tell.

GoaThief

Morpheus, good specs and system that encourages spectators and could/should provide some exciting multiplayer prospects. Hopefully some driver gurus will get it working on PC as well and all my bases will be covered by a single device.

The $1000 thing in the OP and article is a bit silly.

Banned
I trust valve will push it for gaming harder and don't want Facebook involved in my new life as a cyber sexman.

Vive for me. The tracking and input solution look like they hugely open up the capabilities of what's possible in VR. VR badly needed a new interface design to talk take off and we now have that with Vive.

I have PlayStation Move and I know that it just isn't good enough to be the standard VR input. Inside out tracking was needed and now we have it.

ChryZ

Vive for PC and Morpheus for PS4, although I'll wait and see how software support and general grace of implementation shakes out for either of them.

Vive is putting a lot of effort into this "playspace" stuff that I'm convinced is a gimmick and won't stand the test of time for serious gaming. Oculus Rift is more focused on the seated experience, and should be best suited that.

Valve's solution provides much better tracking for seated "VR" experiences as well though. Just because it can offer sub millimetre precision across multiple devices in a full room size environment doesn't mean every VR experience has to leverage that.

Without an input solution (and a traditional controller is not and never will be a suitable input solution for VR), Oculus will remain half a product. Valve appear to be the first to offer the full package.

On topic, I think that for now, Valve's HMD has better specs
This is not clear. The only confirmed specs of Crescent Bay are OLED and 90Hz. It is assumed to be 2560x1440, with an FOV of ~110 degrees. Vive is 2160x1200, 90Hz, 110 FOV, but OLED is unconfirmed. So CB, on paper, taking the assumed specs to be accurate, appears the better spec. But because so much is unknown, it's too early to reach any conclusions.

Top Bottom