• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which was the defining exclusive on the Gamecube? Metroid Prime or Resident Evil Remake?

Best defining exclusive on the Gamecube?

• Metroid Prime

Votes: 115 50.9%
  • Resident Evil Remake (2002)

Votes: 58 25.7%
  • Another game

Votes: 53 23.5%

• Total voters
If there's one thing I've noticed over the years, its that looking back at the Gamecube generations full exclusive games, two titles are always referenced fondly and more often than any other game positively, and those are Metroid Prime and Resident Evil Remake (2002). This is true to the point where those games are not just brought up as the defining titles on the Gamecube, but both franchises these games come are from.

Resident Evil Remake is still considered one of the most sacred games on the Cube. Even outdoing other horror games on the system like Eternal Darkness, a game that has it's fair share of praise, but does not have anywhere near the same level of admiration.

The same goes for Metroid Prime, a new direction for a series whos last game is often listed by SNES enthusiasts as one of the best games, if not the best, on the console, and who also skipped a generation. Coming back with a bang, It's still cited frequently as the best game in the frnachise, one of the best FPS games ever made even though some will argue those people are mislabeling it, and people have been anxiously waiting for the 3rd sequel (for years now) because of how cherished the Prime franchise is to many.

Which Gamecube exclusive do you think was/is the better game that defines the Gamecube today? Metroid Prime, or Resident Evil Remake?

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
The two games that come to mind are Super Mario Sunshine and Resident Evil 4. Seeing kiosks and panels of those games in a store was mind blowing. Metroid franchise just does not have as much mainstream appeal and the remake of the original Resident Evil took several misteps while not innovating enough.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Probably Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Wind Waker, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil 4 while it lasted (and after, since it was the definitive version even after the first few ports), Rogue Leader, Metroid Prime & all the quirky cult classics too.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I honestly believe Mario Kart: Double Dash and Luigi's Mansion sold more people on Gamecube consoles than Super Smash Bros. Melee. Even the lukewarm reception for The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker was likely more profitable.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Which Gamecube exclusive do you think was/is the better game that defines the Gamecube today? Metroid Prime, or Resident Evil Remake?
Of those two, Metroid Prime.

However, I'd say Smash Bros Melee was more impactful than either of those, since it still keeps the Gamecube relevant today. I'd also like to say Resident Evil 4, but we all know how that turned out.

Pelao

Melee.
I didn't even own a Gamecube, but I rented one a bunch of times to play Melee when I was a kid.
Years later I had a roommate who had a Gamecube only with Melee. Melee was the only game for which I and almost everyone I knew IRL was aware of the Gamecube's existence.

Rush2112

Banned
Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime were my favorites. I played eternal darkness blind and was blown away half way through the game at the complexity of the story and how scary it was. It was resident evil but eldritch horror instead of zombies.

Last edited:
fW2KZrF.jpg

But, I guess it was a timed exclusive.

My answer is REmake. It's why I bought the GameCube.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Is it really that good?
At this point it's horribly outdated, the combat is insanely terrible. Playing it today, you would wonder how such combat would ever get good reviews.

But it had creative insanity effects and had a great Lovecraftian story. This is the sort of stuff that happened in the game when you went insane:

iXiqCZ.gif

CookedDisgustingBudgie-size_restricted.gif

The story spans thousands of years, you play through different scenarios with different people, and they all tie back into this dark god that manipulates things. It's really cool stuff.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Of those two it's easily Metroid Prime, even though I'm a massive RE fan, especially when it comes to the remake. But Prime is on another level. But the real GOAT of the GameCube library was Zelda: Wind Waker. An unforgettable masterpiece. And likely a Zelda we'll never see again.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Capcom had an exclusivity agreement with Nintendo with respect to Resident Evil franchise that they supposedly broke to unexpectedly bring Resident Evil 4 to the mainstream PlayStation 2 platform. Also, Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 was a downgrade in most ways. The Gamecube version in my opinion remains definitive.

Last edited:
Capcom had an exclusivity agreement with Nintendo with respect to Resident Evil franchise that they supposedly broke to unexpectedly bring Resident Evil 4 to the mainstream PlayStation 2 platform. Also, Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 was a downgrade in most ways. The Gamecube version in my opinion remains definitive.

It's very unexpected, like Shenmue from Sega creation?

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Not sure what you mean with Shenmue. The sequel was ported to Xbox, but Sega has always taken risks with respect to new IPs.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Melee sold aprox. 3 times as much as Prime.
I was incorrect about an earlier assumption, but as I understand it, the topic is not really about what sold most, but what will the Gamecube be remembered for. Melee is irrelevant for those outside the circle jerk.

Indeed the sequel was on Saturn, but the 3rd game was on Ouya.
Dreamcast could barely handle Shenmue, so even if it began development with Saturn specs it outgrew them. Streaming platforms... I don't respect them.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I loved my GameCube when I was a kid. In my opinion, these are the top 25 most iconic exclusive Gamecube games:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Resident Evil 4 (timed exclusive)
3. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
7. F-Zero GX
8. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
9. Resident Evil Remake
10. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
11. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
12. Star Wars Rouge Squadron II: Rouge Leader
13. Star Fox Adventures
14. Super Mario Sunshine
15. Animal Crossing
16. Pikmin 2
17. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
18. Super Monkey Ball 2
19. Bomberman Generation
20. Resident Evil Zero
21. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
22. Viewtiful Joe (timed exclusive)
23. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
24. Pikmin
25. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Super Smash Bros. - A new one comes out and the old one ends up in an attic or garage. Bunch of icons relegated to a defective immitation of a fighting game that can't even get the basics right.

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
How do you beat Super Smash Bros. games? You don't. You just play something else actually worth your time.

I will see myself out.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
I had more fun with Prime, but REmake had some of the very best graphics of anything that Gen. Very impressive for the time.

It's hard to choose.

Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Melee, Double Dash, Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe, REmake, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Rogue Squadron 2 & 3, Animal Crossing, RE4, etc.

I didn't own a Gamecube when it was still on sale, I was too busy burning money on new PS2s every time one died, but I would drive home every weekend to play new games on my brother's Gamecube.

Top Bottom