• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is asking for GaaS Games from Sony?

Fahdis

Every single one of these scams look exactly the same. There's already so much time and attention people can give to gaming in general without a company trying to take money for an MTX Skin for my character's balls or tits. Why are good Single Player stories not good enough?

Either investors are getting super greedy or companies are out of touch with their target audiences. I read today that Millenials are the target demographic, are they the ones playing GaaS games? Looks more like a Gen Z trend. Literally copies of each other, fucking rainbows everywhere and have no sense of identity. Seeing that 60% will be live service, I feel sorry for what's to come for the industry in general without any innovation.

Have fun playing the same shit for the next decade. I know this is hyperbole, but gaming is fucking dead.

Industry Focus:
- Remakes
- GaaS

Genres:
- First Person Shooters
- Fantasy with Swords
- Zombies
- Cyber/Steampunk

We are lucky to get things like the Plucky Squire once in a while. Indies are alright, at least they are more innovative than AAA.

Flutta

Banned
Sadly some GaaS games bring in alot of money and a pub like Sony wants a piece of the pie. In their eyes it's worth burning huge amount of money in the hope of just to get one GaaS hit and it will be worth it in the end for them.

Sony is a biz they ain't your friend or family.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
This felt depressing, worse than Nintendo in 2018, which was the year I stopped caring for them. I guess I'll stick with 8th and older gen games, at least until Sony stops being fucking retarded and starts showing off their actual good projects.

Vick

Gold Member
Corporations are just concerned about sales and making money.
At their core they don't care about innovation in games.
Really sucks for the medium though.

I just stick to good, well-made SP games since that's what interests me as a gamer.
The point is those Sony single player uber polished games sell hardware and millions upon millions of copies at full price..

Those embarrassing GaaS turds you can find all over this shitty industry though? What the fucking point is? No one cares.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The problem is, somewhere along the chain, people DO react positively to the industry norms. We keep getting the same genres, settings, mechanics and even voice talent in games over and over because there's a large enough portion of people, primarily normies, who are satisfied with what's offered, or don't know any better to expect more.

Murdok

The investors. Since Sony is going to lose advertising for Cod, the money has to come from somewhere. Creating hype for exclusivity doesn't pay the bills.

Dane

They purchased Bungie for $3.6 billion not just their game devlopment talent, but also for their expert industry knowledge in monetizing and milking a franchise for years with GAAS content. They gotta put that knowledge to use now, whether we like it or not.
I hope they're not bringing their MTX knowledge which resumes into "lets keep removing content people paid for"

Vick

Gold Member
Because there’s only 2 genres, 3rd person single player dad sims and GaaS. Right!
Spider-Man, Horizon, Uncharted, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, "dad sims"..

bullshit-get-the-fuck-outta-here.gif

GHG

Gold Member
Because there’s only 2 genres, 3rd person single player dad sims and GaaS. Right!

Based on all your previous complaints you should be happy based on what they are now doing, but yet you're still trolling.

True colours.

K2D

Banned
Investors Shareholders. Analytics. Fat cheese sitting up top.

Last edited:

Del_X

Sony is asking for it since they make most of their cash outside of that. As long as they don't end up with their AAA SP-focused studios making live-service stuff (they will) it should be fine. TLOU MP will be live service 100%

Woopah

The millions of people playing GAAS

This felt depressing, worse than Nintendo in 2018, which was the year I stopped caring for them. I guess I'll stick with 8th and older gen games, at least until Sony stops being fucking retarded and starts showing off their actual good projects.
What did Nintendo do in 2018?

Yoboman

I swear how is it every Western Dev makes the same GAAS game?

• Semi realistic cel shaded art style
  • Overblown use of purple everywhere
  • Always some 4 person "team up"
  • Leader is black woman front and center. Usually a sniper and probably with an afro or extra points
  • Usually some Philippino or Latino looking twink on the team- probably the "tech guy"
  • White guy sometimes allowed - meek and not allowed to say anything
  • No white women allowed
  • Definitely have some character with some sort of "cool" looking mask. Which they will probably sell you as microtransactions
  • Sell themselves on the personality of the cast who end up having no personality
  • Piggybacking a social issue like they are a Twitter account in pride month
  • Anti capitalist while making a game in literally the most exploitative genre
Do they all use the same consultant? Or maybe they all went to the same game design school

Raonak

Banned
It's not like they have their top tier devs making these games. The studios working on these games are either new or already made gaas

First of all, I don't like multiplayer anymore. I don't play any GaaS, and I don't like coop games either. But if you look at the market, most popular games have some kind of "cooperation" involved. GaaS is a source of money for the company, you can no longer live on just AAA single player (pay for the game, play, and drop it, and most of the time never play it again).

Of course SP games will always be around, and they are healthier than ever. But today AAA SP games are expensive, these companies need a source of money using "games that are alive" with new content etc. Even Souls games, which are "single player" game, have cooperative aspects. Not to mention that with the ABK deal, Sony needs GaaS more than ever to boost its investments in SP, marketing, hardware, etc.

I'm sure if two or three of the ten GaaS they're making are successful, Sony will be very happy.

EA is making tons of money with Fifa and Apex, and yet they started to invest heavily in single player only as well. This is the direction Sony is heading. Now if you and I don't like GaaS: we are the minority. The numbers don't lie: most people love coop/gaas/br games :pie_fwt:

nial

Gold Member
What did Nintendo do in 2018?
Having a terrible lineup that year (and stuff like Labo, Switch Online, overpriced Wii U ports, etc.), and while admittedly they started to pick up a bit in 2021, I never looked at them again. And I used to be a huge Nintendo fan before 2018, especially after the good year 2017 was.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Multiplayer only players, "60fps or bust" folk, and "nothing but gameplay matters" type.

Combination of all 3.

It's funny as hell that people lay this at the feet of any dev as if a gaas game would even be possible without players supporting it. Not every game hits, but enough do that there's a reason why they'll make a game like that.

Woopah

Having a terrible lineup that year (and stuff like Labo, Switch Online, overpriced Wii U ports, etc.), and while admittedly they started to pick up a bit in 2021, I never looked at them again. And I used to be a huge Nintendo fan before 2018, especially after the good year 2017 was.
That's fair. 2018 and 2020 were both bad years for Switch, but I'd say the rest were good to great.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Why not? Sony need a good GaaS Ip to bring in constant revenue streams.

JUst look at the COD drama now.

Top Bottom