• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is your most beloved person all-time in gaming?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Plenty, won't name one, because I've enjoyed the Journey since Atari 2600, Nintendo Family Computer, Sega MegaDrive, Sega Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5. Naming some and forgetting others might be unfair. I'm just glad to enjoy gaming all this long. Greetings to all of you.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Shigeru Miyamoto
Koji Kondo
Nobuo Uematsu
Masashi Hamauzu
Yoko Shimomura
Tetsuya Nomura (fight me)
Hironobu Sakaguchi
Akira Yamaoka
Hideo Kojima
David Hayter
Shinji Mikami
Quinton Flynn
DarkSydePhil
Yoshitaka Amano
Mark Meer
Sakurai
The list goes on

Reactions: Isa

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

"SEGA is getting ready to launch their newest console, the Dreamcast! But the evil Sony has fired a missile to destroy SEGA HQ. Segata Sanshiro jumps in the way to stop the missile, and pushes it into space, with him still on it! His final words are "SEGA Saturn Shiro" (You must play SEGA Saturn) The missile explodes, and Segata Sanshiro was no more. But then he showed up at the Sonic Adventure unveiling, so I dunno."

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The late and great Satoru Iwata.
Didn’t realize how much I appreciated the man until I found myself literally crying over the GAF thread about his passing.
A brilliant programmer. A gamer. A CEO that would virtually never talk business to his audience, ‘cause he’d rather talk games. Goofy and good-spirited, always smiling and always working in the face of disease, to the very last day. And possibly the only guy in his position in this industry that’d cut his own salary in the face of financial trouble.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
This Chad

toshiro-nagoshi-01-25-19-1.jpg

If it had to be just one...Satoru Iwata. He passed way too soon and Nintendo just isn't the same without him. He did a great job catering to casuals and hardcores alike, balancing out both types of offerings with the Wii and Wii U libraries, along with the handheld stuff too. RIP Iwata-san and I hope your legacy is better remembered in time

If it had to be just one...Satoru Iwata. He passed way too soon and Nintendo just isn't the same without him. He did a great job catering to casuals and hardcores alike, balancing out both types of offerings with the Wii and Wii U libraries, along with the handheld stuff too. RIP Iwata-san and I hope your legacy is better remembered in time
I recently read the Ask Iwata book, and it's worth a read. It's a simple collection of interviews. Got it for like $8 and read through it in about 2 hours. But you definitely get a better picture about his background, and his insights into management. Worth a read for sure.

I recently read the Ask Iwata book, and it's worth a read. It's a simple collection of interviews. Got it for like $8 and read through it in about 2 hours. But you definitely get a better picture about his background, and his insights into management. Worth a read for sure.
I have it! Still didn't finish it but you reminded me of it

fart town usa

Gold Member
Probably Tokuro Fujiwara, he was super influential in the early days of Capcom, he was the brains behind Sweet Home and served as a general producer for Resident Evil.

It's no mystery that OG 1996 RE is my GOAT and I think alot of people forget that his role was huge in helping to create what RE was.

There are other industry giants that I appreciate but since RE is my absolute favorite, I gotta bring his name up to help make people aware that it wasn't strictly Mikami who created RE, Mikami had a mentor and it was Tokuro Fujiwara.

mansoor1980

Probably Tokuro Fujiwara, he was super influential in the early days of Capcom, he was the brains behind Sweet Home and served as a general producer for Resident Evil.

It's no mystery that OG 1996 RE is my GOAT and I think alot of people forget that his role was huge in helping to create what RE was.

There are other industry giants that I appreciate but since RE is my absolute favorite, I gotta bring his name up to help make people aware that it wasn't strictly Mikami who created RE, Mikami had a mentor and it was Tokuro Fujiwara.
seriously this dude is a legend , more people need to know about him.............his resume is incredible

Ehh there are too many.

Probably Hidetaki Miyazaki 1st time I saw him was at E3 2014 in a private showing of Bloodborne. 2nd time at E3 2015 for Dark Souls 3. After the showings ended they gave us Bloodborne t shirts and for Dark Souls 3 a portable charger. Best days I'll never forget, got to shake the dudes hand and smiled.

Met Phil Spencer twice or 3 times. 1st time at E3 2015 in private Microsoft showcase party before actual E3 started they did a press party event only. Normally when I go on business trips I try to dress very nice, nothing overly expensive but just clean and elegant, Phill complemented me on my suit at the start of the conversation and then complemented again in a middle of a sentence saying "I can't get over that suit man". 2nd time I met him was at a Bethesda party.

Also got to meet Bonnie Ross from 343 for Halo 5 Guardians, she was pretty chill and down to earth to talk to.

2 years in a row I've spoken to Mike Chapman and Joe Neate from Rare for Sea of Thieves, got to tell my pirate stories and we did an interview and just chatted like good old friends.

I don't really have favorite people in the industry, most of my experiences were pretty great. Saw Kojima once while he was checking out Cyberpunk 2077, but didn't really want to bother him.

I miss E3 :/
You missed out on an opportunity there; coulda sold Phil that suit for mad cash.

Anyways my picks are probably
-Kamiya
-Mikami
-Itsuno
-Itagaki
-Kojima
-Miyazaki
- any other developer I forgot that just loves to make games

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Miyamoto - the greatest
Molynuex - the most overpromising
Warren Spector - He delivered some great games. System Shock
Chris Roberts- Wing Commander
Lord British - Ultima, and had one of the coolest houses
Tomonobu Itagaki - Ninja Gaiden and over the top personality.

Zannegan

Satoru Iwata was a legend. Some of the programming feats he pulled off before becoming CEO of Nintendo were insane. We have him to thank for some classics ever seeing the light of day or at least in the shape they were in, including the original Smash Bros, Pokemon Silver and Gold, and (I believe) Earthbound.

Then, as president, he was behind some of my favorite ancillary gaming content like the Iwata Asks interviews and the Nintendo Direct format. And obviously he oversaw some industry changing hardware releases, right up to his parting shot, the Switch.

He took voluntary pay cuts (to an already modest CEO salary) when the company underperformed, refused to downsize during the 2008 financial crisis, piloted Nintendo into and through its highest highs and lowest lows. He didn't make the right calls every time, but Nintendo under his leadership was at its least predictable, which I always enjoy as a spectator.

I just really miss that man as a personality in the gaming landscape.

Top Bottom