• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who Stripped Jessica Rabbit (Disney's pre-woke times)

llien

Prankish Disney animators supposedly drew Jessica Rabbit without underwear in a few frames of 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit.' .

"Sex does not sell" you remember, right? :messenger_beaming:

Many retailers said that within minutes of the Laserdisc debut, their entire inventory was sold out. The run was fueled by media reports about the controversy, including stories on CNN and various newspapers. A Disney exec responded to Variety that "people need to get a life than to notice stuff like that. We were never aware of its cock, it was just a stupid gimmick the animators pulled on us and we didn't notice it. At the same time, people also need to develop a sense of humor with these things." One scene involves Herman extending his middle finger as he passes under a woman's dress and reemerging with drool on his lip. Other rumors also exist. Gary K. Wolf, author of the novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, filed a lawsuit in 2001 against The Walt Disney Company. Wolf claimed he was owed royalties based on the value of "gross receipts" and merchandising sales. In 2002, the trial court in the case ruled that these only referred to actual cash receipts Disney collected and denied Wolf's claim. In its January 2004 ruling, the California Court of Appeal disagreed, finding that expert testimony introduced by Wolf regarding the customary use of "gross receipts" in the entertainment business could support a broader reading of the term. The ruling vacated the trial court's order in favor of Disney and remanded the case for further proceedings. In a March 2005 hearing, Wolf estimated he was owed $7 million. Disney's attorneys not only disputed the claim but said Wolf actually owed Disney $500,000—$1 million because of an accounting error discovered in preparing for the lawsuit.

• A scene at the beginning of the film depicts a diaper-clad Baby Herman stomping off the set and underneath the dress of a woman. Watched frame-by-frame, the scene reveals Baby Herman extending his middle finger just before jumping underneath the skirt and re-emerging with a spot of drool on his upper lip. This scene can indeed be seen on the home video release and was clearly intentional.
  • 7W6gNRU.jpg

• In another scene, Bob Hoskins steps into a Toon Town men’s room. Graffiti on the wall reads “For a good time, call Allyson Wonderland”, with the phrase “The Best Is Yet to Be” appearing underneath it. Allegedly, Disney chairman Michael Eisner’s phone number replaces the latter phrase for one frame. Although the “Allyson Wonderland” graffiti is clearly visible on laserdisc, Eisner’s phone number is not. If the phone number was in the film originally (as rumor has it was), it was removed before the home versions of the movie were made available.

Last edited:
Did not realize the baby fingers that woman. I thought he smacked her butt. Damn that is some sick shit lol.

Saw this in the theater when it came out must have been 7 or 8. Hollywood has been twisted for a while.

Last edited:
Lots of stories like this from Disney in the 80s and 90s... The phallus that was drawn into the castle in Little Mermaid, "sex" being written into the clouds in Lion King, etc...

When I was in high school in the 90s I worked for a mom & pop video store and those are the two that I remember and can verify as being real.

It's the type of stuff that happens when your animators a) aren't foreign labor, b) aren't "woke", and c) are actually drawing things by hand and not using a computer.

Arkam

Before anyone gets too excited, remember, you cannot sleep with a doodle!

(Cool world reference for the slow)
(For the kids, Cool World was an attempt to cash in on the HFRR success. A mostly forgotten gem)

Quasicat

During Who Framed Roger Rabbit’s original theatrical run, there was a scene where Betty Boop is talking to Eddie Valiant and for 6 frames her top drops off showing her nipples. This was a tribute to creator Max Fleischer who did the same thing on her original shorts. Once Disney found out about it, they redid the animation for those frames before the home video version was released.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a seriously underrated classic. One of the best cartoon/live action movies of all time.

Also Jessica Rabbit woke things in me as a young boy that I didn't know existed.

It's funny when you think about Fritz the Cat and all the underground smutty cartoons of the 70s going super mainstream one decade later.

Top Bottom