• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will have a big gaming event first for 2023?

Which company will give us a game showcase first?

• Microsoft

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Sony

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
I’m not counting CES for Sony, that wasn’t a playstation event.

This includes a showcase, state of play, direct, or anything showcasing first party games from each platform holder. Right now it looks like all 3 are long overdue to showcase games for this upcoming year. Nintendo have their biggest game ever coming out in just a few months, sony have who knows how many partnered games and 1st party to show, same with xbox, we are still expecting 3 AAA titles to drop within the next 5 on this from them. They have also been weirdly quiet about their gamepass line up recently.

Who jumps first, and what do you expect to see?

Microsoft with Sony being 2nd. As for what I expect too see? No clue. I am gonna wait a bit before we make guesses.

But for Microsoft its mostly going to be early 2023 titles like Redfall/Starfield/Diablo 4 etc..

Last edited:
They have also been weirdly quiet about their gamepass line up recently.
Yes they have, and I'm not a fan of it. I praised them many times for having solid communication and transparency. I'd like an explanation for what's going on the last month. Shit happens, just at least acknowledge it.
  • Skipped 2nd drop for December. 1st time I'm aware of.
  • Skipped announcement dates for January.
  • Fucked up the Hotwheels announcement, and then pulled the game.
As for who goes first, it honestly doesn't matter. New year. All of them will have shows when they're ready.

Xbox has been pretty quiet, and they're getting closer to releasing many, many new titles, starting with Forza Motorsport 8, Starfield and Redfall this year... So, yeah... I suspect MS will kick things off first this year, and soon.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Nintendo when they announce the switch 2

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
death stare GIF

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No Sony event again this year, they are done with events imo.

Blog posts, tweets galore.

I miss conferences like PlayStation Experience and E3. The sense of community within gaming during that time felt like you were in one big family, sharing in the hype with everyone who were passionate (if not more) about games as you.
So I want that to come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

That energy is what I miss seeing. I don't care if some of the conferences were cringe, it was fun!

Edit: I voted Sony, because I was expecting PlayStation Experience last year.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I would expect Sony will do something soon due to the release of PSVR2. With it releasing next month, they really have not shown much and a Direct type of thing would be good. I know for myself, I need to know more about GT7 in VR and more about some of the other launch titles.

I miss conferences like PlayStation Experience and E3. The sense of community within gaming during that time felt like you were in one big family, sharing in the hype with everyone who were passionate (if not more) about games as you.
So I want that to come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

That energy is what I miss seeing. I don't care if some of the conferences were cringe, it was fun!

You never know what you got until its gone. I remember non-stop complaining about the cringe of e3 and all those events every year and how people just want to see games games games which is essentially what we get now. We get a robotic Siri voice with digital assets that just show one game after another with no real fan fare.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You think sony is gonna debut spider-man 2 gameplay in a blogpost?
Yes. Either that or a tweet with a trailer. They didn’t even give Ragnarok a state of play. I think they now view showcases as a waste of time and money. They are about to launch new hardware without a single live show as well

Which sucks

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Sony didn't have a showcase last year, so they should have one early this 2023. At least in 2022, we already knew what their first-party games would be; the Uncharted collection, Horizon and Gran Turismo 7 in the first few months and God of War Ragnarok as the big fall game, with only TLOU Part 1 (and well, MLB 2022) being announced and released the same year. Yes, they have Convallaria, Stellar Blade and Spider-Man 2 slated for this year, but that can't be it. They've got like 3-4 unknown live service games targeting a 2023 release and then there's the full PSVR2 launch window lineup. I'm just confident about it.

Last edited:

HAYA8U5A

You would think Sony will have a State of Play or something for the PSVR2 which isn't that far off so I'll say Sony.

Yes. Either that or a tweet with a trailer. They didn’t even give Ragnarok a state of play. I think they now view showcases as a waste of time and money. They are about to launch new hardware without a single live show as well

Which sucks

All Ragnaroks actual gameplay debuted in state of plays or showcases though. They never showed big gameplay reveals for ragnarok in a blogpost

GenericUser

I don't want conferences, I want games! 2023 is the year when they cannot use covid as an excuse anymore. Crunch your brains out, lazy devs!

Last edited:
Top Bottom