• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's hyped for Crimson Tears and Bujingai?

Me!

Me!

Me!

Crimson Tears sounds like part Tobal 2 quest mode and part Ehrgeiz Godless Dungeon mode from the OPM review. I also admit a shameful appreciation for the cast of characters. They remind me of Masami Obari anime heroes and bimbos. ROX! It's also priced at $39.99.

I still say Bam! should have replaced Gackt with Rob Zombie in Bujingai just to piss off the Japan worshipping contingent. Not to mention he could provide a new opening theme, "BUJINGAI! BUJINGAI! DUN DUN DA DUN DUN DUN! BUJINGAIIII-YAWWWW!!!!'" Ignoring the froo-froo boy, the videos of the game look really nice, and part of me wants to enjoy a Taito game. It's been a while since I've played anything from them. Well, Psychic Force 2, but still. I can always use another neato action game. And, it's priced at $39.99!

Sexy, sexy!

belgurdo

Banned
Gackt makes me ill, but I'm a little interested in Bujingai so I might pick it up if I see it. I heard CT is made by Dream factory, though, so I'm wary.

Matlock

Banned
I'll wait for the used versions of said titles to hit lower prices, then buy 'em for the hot hot brawling action.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Very hesitant about both, but curiosity remains strong.

Bujingai reviews particularly have been very lackluster, it was the same song for Shinobi/Kunoichi which I enjoyed immensely regardless, but most critics tend to reinforce this as being just too shallow of a game amid the fireworks and acrobatic swordplay. I can't help but remain somewhat curious though, the look of the game in action is very inviting to my senses.

Crimson Tears just looks so bloody stupid. Not just for the character art, but the combat just seemed tepid and uninspired from the few gameplay vids posted previously. Maybe the dungeon hacking and loot grinding leads to some sort of addictive quality, but I remain very apprehensive.

nultse

Very nice!

I particularly like Crimson Tears colourful characters, though Bujingais gameplay looks more smoother.

Any hope of release in PAL regions for these two?

Much like the hopeless Sega fans that are the butt end of so many of our personal jokes, I cling to the faint hope that Crimson Tears could transport me back to the glory days of Tobal / Ehrgeiz Dream Factory.

Castellan posted favorable impressions of it IIRC, and he seemed pleased enough with it on #GA. Granted our tastes do not coincide, but I generally trust what he has to say about games I'm interested in.

I have a friend in the UK, where apparently Bujingai is out, or perhaps he just has the import; but he keeps raving about how enjoyable the fighting engine of the game is. I can't say he and I have ever agreed on particular titles, but I hope he's right.

Neither was Shantae, but that doesn't stop people from giving me crap.

It would be a funny coincidence if all the good games coming from Capcom just so happened to turn out to be developed externally. :p

MoxManiac

This goes against my fiber as a Capcom fan, but aside from SF and MM Collections, that's turning out to be the case, lately. :p

bjork

gackt01.jpg

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have both imports. In brief:

Bujingai: Decent Otogi/Shinobi-like action game, developed by Red. Has some impressive moves countered by the bizarre ultra feminine appearance of the main character, based on Japanese singer Gackt. Although you earn new attacks and there are counters you can perform, it still feels like all you're really doing is button mashing and watching the show. Still pretty fun though. :)

Crimson Tears: Give it a try once it hits $19.99, and that's only if you enjoyed the dungeons in Tobal. Otherwise, avoid. There's little here amongst the dull, repetitive dungeon layouts and basic combo attacks to really keep the game going; basically, you wander the (very small two-three screen) town, buy items/weapons (which give you new combo attacks when equipped), and accept quests taking you into the lifeless dungeons, where you beat up wave after wave of the same enemies over and over. You also have to be careful, because should you actually start to defeat a large number of enemies and begin to get some enjoyment out of this title, your overheat gauge fills up, and you begin to lose your life until you die. If you don't have any medicine to stop this, you're screwed. :\

I was looking very forward to this title, and Dream Factory has, unfortunately, produced another dud. It's not Kakuto Chojin bad, at least. :p I also couldn't help but feel almost ripped-off by this title; since it's literally nothing more than a copy of the Tobal/Ehrgeiz dungeons, I felt like the "real game" (as in, a fighting game) was missing, and this is a beta or something...but it isn't.

Meier

Crimson Tears looks fucking awful. Bujingai is supposed to be decent enough but I've got Dynasty Warriors already -- why do I need to get a knock off of it?

The Take Out Bandit said:
Aren't the dungeons in Crimson Tears randomly generated?

I really wish I could understand why randomly generated dungeons appeal so much to developers. I mean really, who ever says, what this game needs is randomly generated dungeons?

I really don't understand why consumers that demand more replay value from games bitch about games with randomly generated dungeons.

Oh crap! I can't memorize the layout.

BAD GAME! BAD GAME!!!

If it keeps me on my toes, I'm cool with that. The next time I play through it, it won't be the same crap I went through the first time. WAHOO! A winner is me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Aren't the dungeons in Crimson Tears randomly generated?

Yes, but the problem is that each dungeon is only made up of the same 4-5 rooms, so everything always looks the same anyway. This game just isn't what it could have been. :\ It's not even worth it for the real reason you want it, TToB. :(

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'll be renting both since they look interesting. Gackt makes me want to punch his face everytime I see a picture of him. Even if I didn't want to rent Bujingai I'd be forced too by my friend.

Ill Saint

Bujingai is supposed to be decent enough but I've got Dynasty Warriors already -- why do I need to get a knock off of it?

Err, Bujingai is nothing like Dynasty Warriors. It's closer to Shinobi/Nightshade and Otogi, like Lyte Edge said.

tenchir

I am looking for the Crimson Tears mp3 for the song from that trailer. Anyone wants to help me by giving me the name of the song?

ferricide

I really don't understand why consumers that demand more replay value from games bitch about games with randomly generated dungeons.

BAD GAME! BAD GAME!!!

If it keeps me on my toes, I'm cool with that. The next time I play through it, it won't be the same crap I went through the first time. WAHOO! A winner is me.
because the dungeons have absolutely nothing to do, gameplay wise. designed dungeons can have puzzles, interesting visuals, things to do. random dungeons area always nothing more than chains of empty corridors with enemies. TEH BORING, in other words.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

BAD GAME! BAD GAME!!!

I think most people don't like it cause it means that the dungeon is never layed out in a particularly clever way... with it all being radom and such.

- ferricide said it better

User 406

Banned
I'm interested in Crimson Tears since I was a huge Tobal fan, but I'm still leery because I know that the Dream Factory of old is dead. If the fighting mechanics are good, I'll probably love it, but I'm not getting my fragile hopes up just yet. I'll check out TToB's copy first. XD

As for the appeal of random dungeons, the whole point is taking a repetitive but enjoyable game mechanic, in this case beating the shit out of hordes of enemies, and adding more variance to periphery of that. I'd be far less likely to want to repeatedly enter a dungeon to beat up enemies and get loot if the layout is exactly the same each time. I'll already know where the chests/items/whatnot are, and there won't be any point in exploring. Instead, it will just be running through the exact same course each time. No matter how gorgeously detailed a corridor is, it's still a corridor. Better to have it at least be a different shape each time. Nethack and Rogue fans understand this.

There's also nothing stopping the developer of a game with random dungeons from making certain levels nonrandom.

levious said:
I think most people don't like it cause it means that the dungeon is never layed out in a particularly clever way... with it all being radom and such.

- ferricide said it better

The last time I can recall particularly clever dungeon layouts is Phantasy Star. Oooh! This one is shaped like a skull! :p

I don't play RPG's or PC games involving dungeon crawling in the sense most GA players think of them. So random dungeons in something like CoN is totally cool by me. My only complaint being that the level generation wasn't quite as chaotic as I would have liked it to be. More than once I entered a stage with the same layout I did the first time through.

Top Bottom