• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are AAA publishers still obsessed with releasing in the Fall?

Timeaisis

The poor sales of Titanfall 2 and less than stellar sales of some other large franchises in the past few years have got me wondering. With so much competition in the September - Dec months, why do AAA publishers keep insisting on releasing their games during the fall?

The two big reasons I can see for releasing in the fall, off the top of my head
1. Holiday season / Gift-giving season
2. Easily timed to end-of-year for business/financial reasons?

But I have a big problem with #1. For holiday timing, mass-audience games (think Nintendo titles, annual sports titles, annual tentpole titles) make a lot of sense. This is gift-giving season after all. This is the perfect time to release titles for people who aren't normally buying games the rest of the year but enjoy a handful of titles annually, because it allows them to be gifted. Same for "everyone" titles like Nintendo games, because, well, kids are less likely to buy games for themselves anyway. It only makes sense to load a lot of releases near the year-end so that parents have more eyes on the titles their children want for the holidays (Pokemon is the obvious example title falling into this category).

But what about the rest? Let's think for a second about what we've got coming this year. We just had Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1 and Gears of War 4 as well as Civ VI and Mafia 3. Soon we'll have Call of Duty, Dishonored 2 and then soon after Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. Apart from BF1 and CoD, I'd argue these are less than general audience titles (in relation to "general audiences" and not necessarily familiar to those who aren't plugged into gaming as much). And yet,all these titles are competing with each other, But why? There's a whole swath of the year games can be released in, and yet many publishers ignore it? Summer is notorious for being a lull in releases. Hell, it seems like this year Overwatch ran away with the whole summer in part because there was just nothing else around (OK, Battleborn was a thing. I guess.).

As for #2, well, i don't know the inner workings of each publisher (and I don't want to), but it seems like this isn't reason enough to consistently target Q3/Q4 for literally every large-scale release they have.

So I have to wonder, what's the point of releasing in this timeframe, among all these other titles, when the advantages seem to be disappearing year after year, unless you are a huge tentpole title like CoD? Is it just some old tradition from the '90s and early 2000s that publishers just don't want to stop?

Speaking of advantages, here's the clear disadvantages:
- Much, much steeper competition between titles releasing on the same day
- Crowded market (especially for shooters / multiplayer)
- Tighter internal deadlines with no wiggle room (game must be done by Q4)

And there's probably even many more I'm not considering.

Here's the really confusing bit of all this. Back in the '90s, most games were targeted to mass-market (e.g. kids, adults, everyone). Big titles made sense to go for holidays: kids hardly bought games on their own, and if they did, it might be limited to some allowance spend once per year. So publishers had to take advantage of the time of year when parents were giving their children gifts, and releasing right before the holidays just made sense.

But today? Well, we've got more and more games targeted to the 18-35 demographic than (by my estimation) we've ever had before. You can just tell by seeing how many M-rated titles are slated for release. And yet many of these titles are going for Holiday 2016. But here's the thing: adults can buy games whenever the hell they want. I know I do. I know you do. So why are they so obsessed with the magic 4-month stretch of September - December? Is it just some old, hard-to-die tradition publishers are clinging to for some reason? Or is there something I'm just not realizing? People getting holiday bonuses or something? I'm reaching here. I, for one, think they are too afraid to release outside fall because it's what has worked for so, so long. But now, when the signs are pointing to it not really working as much anymore, publishers keep doing it because it's all they know. They are afraid to risk a summer release at the cost of loosing that holiday market, but at the risk of going up against Call of Duty at retail? I just don't get it.

Sometimes I wonder how some titles would perform if they weren't released the same time as every other huge franchise installment.

Any thoughts, GAF?

I honestly feel like this gen has started to shift toward everything releasing in the first 6 months and then Fall just being FPSes and shit.

Titanfall 2 I've been semi-seriously assuming that EA wanted to at least try to take down Call of Duty's sales by throwing everything at it. TF2 was just a sacrificial lamb.

Because holidays are still at the end of fall, beginning of winter unfortunately, and that is the moment when most of the money flows.

Honestly beats me, I think publishers being stupid is the main reason.

You got a shit game like No Man's Sky selling gangbusters because it released in the summer drought, but (allegedly) great games like Titanfall 2 flopping because it's between CoDllefield. It doesn't take a genius to find out when to release your game. Is the franchise Call of Duty, Battlefield or Assassins Creed? No? Then get the fuck out of October/November.

Alchemy

Its silly because I'm totally not buying a bunch of games like Civ VI and TitanFall 2 that I kind of want, but they get pushed out by other games that I want more. I would have totally bought those games day one if they released in the Spring/Summer months. Oh well at least now I get to wait for sales.

Brashnir

It mostly has to do with the industry's obsession with the hype machine that forces them to continue targeting the holiday season. This is when the most money is being spent on luxury products like games, and a game that came out in April may as well have come out in 1816, given the way this industry fetishizes newness.

This is a very complicated issue, OP.

There's a portion of this driven by benchmarks and expectations.

Big title wants to get budgeted for production & marketing. In order to do this, the title will find titles in history (benchmarks) that have the units and revenues in order to provide the budgets requested. Other things like social, intent to buy, pre-order goals, etc will all be calculated.

Problem is that publishers often, in error, confuse the correlation of sales and release date to a causation. As in, the publisher/dev thinks that one of the reasons sales were so high for Benchmark Titles A, B and C was driven by release timing.

This is false.

Smarter pubs know this. Take 2, WB and others have released games across the year, in quarters outside of calendar Q4, to great success.

Unfortunately, until more history is built showing titles can have huge success around all release periods, this trend of a huge chunk of releases hitting Q4 will continue.

It's this kind of quality engagement with fans that keeps devs and pubs coming to GAF to discuss the ins and outs of the industry.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
We have this thread almost every year I think. It comes down the pie in the holidays straight up is that much bigger than the rest of the year. People take out loans to buy gifts, it is insane.

ar4757

This coming spring I'm screwed, but that's because all the big Japanese games sans FFXV are releasing then. For the fall I had to sacrifice TF2 for BF1, although with the great impressions it sounds like I'll have to pick it up later on.

Timeaisis

I honestly feel like this gen has started to shift toward everything releasing in the first 6 months and then Fall just being FPSes and shit.

Titanfall 2 I've been semi-seriously assuming that EA wanted to at least try to take down Call of Duty's sales by throwing everything at it. TF2 was just a sacrificial lamb.

I think some are experimenting with it, but others are still stupidly doing what they always do. If it's a big title, go for fall. The end.

Because holidays are still at the end of fall, beginning of winter unfortunately, and that is the moment when most of the money flows.

I get that it's the season where money flows and all that, but how much is that really boosting sales, especially considering so many titles are competing for shelf space? It seems to me they are trading one bad thing for another (probably worse thing) in comparison.

I wouldn't say that they are really "obsessed" with it anymore.

They were obsessed in the 90s and early 2000s. Once upon a time practically NOTHING came out before August.

We now get more big titles spread out through the year than ever. The holidays are still loaded but it's understandable that game developers want to get as many titles in that span as possible

AdanVC

Yeah, Devs should take the risk in release their big games during summer. It's when most people have more free time to game due to summer vacations and such. If that game is advertised and hyped properly, it could sell gangbusters.

We have this thread almost every year I think. It comes down the pie in the holidays straight up is that much bigger than the rest of the year. People take out loans to buy gifts, it is insane.

Just because that is the consensus of the annual thread doesn't make it correct.

Sakujou

Banned
i think you earn most the money during christmas.
why miss the november/december which pretty much guarantees what you make throughout the year?

its the same with apple=
apple earns in january everything to pay their employees throughout the rest of the year.
the months feb-december is just profit.

I've always been for the idea for releasing in the summer myself;

Most kids an Adults are usually free(from my experience)

Have the big release in the summer then have the momentum carry into the fall/holiday season

Orca

The bulk of buying is done in the last quarter, so that's where the big games that need to sell release. It's not rocket science.

That said, I wish some publisher would market a game as a summer blockbuster and release it in June/July and then do the inevitable 'definitive/GOTY' edition for late fall so they can try to have the best of both worlds.

Anth0ny

christmas and black friday

I figure it makes more sense to spend marketing dollars in October or November than it does in April for that very reason

but a lot of the time they get blown out by the AAAA marketing campaigns for games like COD or Battlefield so... some companies need to get a clue. even a game like titanfall 2 is being sent out to die in late october, let alone something like a bayonetta 2 or sonic generations.

luckily, plenty of games have releases earlier in the year and have met much success thanks to less competition, so I hope that trend continues.

I get that it's the season where money flows and all that, but how much is that really boosting sales, especially considering so many titles are competing for shelf space? It seems to me they are trading one bad thing for another (probably worse thing) in comparison.

When you consider the number of games sold during a drought (less than 5M most of the time) mostly bought by gamers and the number a AAA can make (between 5 & 10M depending on game) at the end of the year, mostly because not gamer people kept money on the side for the holidays (not for these games in particular), you can see why.

The cash people have to spend at that time of year is worth the shelve space and costs of marketing. Why do you think so many games are out in January/1st half of February ? To catter to those who have still some money from the holidays.

It also boosts your end of fiscal year (some are in december, some in march) and is before that whole tax thing that eats your money at the beginning of Spring.

I feel like part of it is, oddly enough, to avoid the actual holidays themselves. As in, get some of people's cash before they lock themselves off spending by saving up for gifts and the like.

Plus well, its probably better for the tail of a game's lifespan to both have the initial surge from launch, and then to have an additional bump from nearby holidays like Black Friday in the US, and Christmas in general.

sure. say that to SE/Crystal Dynamics.

Wasn't it Microsoft who forced Tomb Raider to be released next to Fallout?

Out of all the publishers, Microsoft has the worst habit of stacking all their games in Fall and leaving nothing for the rest of the year. Before September, wasn't Quantum Break their only game this year? Ehhhh.

EDIT: Though to be fair they did delay that game from Fall due to concerns of it being crowded out by big games, iirc.

On the flipside you have Sony who seem to be getting in the habit of preferring Spring for their big releases.

Megatron

I like these threads where posters who don't see sales figures think the companies that do see the sales figures are idiots.

I like these threads where posters who don't see sales figures think the companies that do see the sales figures are idiots.

Agree... OP raises a great question. Answer from thread: "Pubs are dumb". It's pretty frustrating. There are a few people that are reasonable and may have experience, get drowned out by uninformed kneejerk opinion.

Because every publisher delusionally thinks their game is big or cool enough to leave the others in the dust and soak up the most of those free-flowing holiday dollars.

Then they're shocked, SHOCKED, when their sales are poor and they're crushed by the major players every year.

TL;DR version:

Stupid people run videogame companies. And I worked in marketing for one of the most consistently stupid companies.

I think it has a lot to do with more people shopping for games during that time period. The hardcore audience is dialed in all the time, but casual players or people who are shopping for casual players aren't really looking for games until the holiday season when they will buy them as gifts. This applies to kids as well, parents and relatives are looking for gifts for their kids, games make great gifts. By being the newest and shiniest and most hyped thing during this time period, you can sell a ton of full price copies. Games released earlier in the year will sell too, but usually they've had their price reduced by then. It's driven more by consumer purchasing habits than any desire from publishers, I feel. They are just going where the market is.

hichanbis

Banned

You got a shit game like No Man's Sky selling gangbusters because it released in the summer drought, but (allegedly) great games like Titanfall 2 flopping because it's between CoDllefield. It doesn't take a genius to find out when to release your game. Is the franchise Call of Duty, Battlefield or Assassins Creed? No? Then get the fuck out of October/November.

Exactly.
However, things tend to be shifting towards Q1 now, but I think this is also because lots of games miss the Christmas deadline.

We've gone over this a couple of times before. There's a number of valid reasons more titles release in the holiday season and you've even acknowledged a few of them.

The number one reason games are released in the holiday window is because of consumer economics. The majority of all purchases, games or otherwise, are done during the holiday season. The average consumer spends more in Nov-Dec than they do in the other 10 months in the year combined. This happens across nearly all types of products and all types of retailers. It is entirely possible, even likely, that you'll be able to make more money releasing during the holiday window against a competitor than in a low-purchase month like June against nothing.

Combine this with the fact that the vast majority of the video game mass market only purchases 2-5 games a year (and >60% of those will be purchased during Nov-Dec). Statistically that means the majority of your potential customers are going to buy 1-3 games in Nov-Dec and 1-2 games in Jan-Oct on average. Even in a saturated couple of months, you are still more likely to see better sales during the holidays than during the spring and summer months.

Even so, most publishers are releasing just as many products during the year as they do during the holidays. This idea that all publishers are insisting on releasing their best products during the Oct-Dec window is based almost entirely around Microsoft (only Titanfall and Quantum Break released in the middle of the year, the other 10 major first party titles were holiday releases) and Activision (Call of Duty and Skylanders are always holiday releases) - two publishers who still predominantly release in the holiday window and nowhere else. But Sony (Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Infamous: Second Son), EA (Madden, Mirror's Edge, PvZ Garden Warfare 2, BF: Hardline), Ubisoft (Far Cry: Primal, The Division, South Park, Watch Dogs), and Warner Bros (LEGO, Mad Max, Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat X, Dying Light) all release multiple titles throughout the year.

Trup1aya

It's crazy logic that encourages publishers to blow their load for xmas.

yes people spend more money during this period, but simply having your product available at that time, doesn't mean that the masses will choose to spend their money on it Instead of or in addition to the largest titles.

It should be painfully obvious that B tier titles and new franchises stand a better chance during less crowded times of the years. It's not like people don't want to have new games to buy in the summer .

Every year, titles get crushed under the weight of a holiday release, that would have faired better if they didn't have to share their launch window with a ton of popular titles

Agree... OP raises a great question. Answer from thread: "Pubs are dumb". It's pretty frustrating. There are a few people that are reasonable and may have experience, get drowned out by uninformed kneejerk opinion.

And your contribution to the discourse is...

CosmicQueso said:
Problem is that publishers often, in error, confuse the correlation of sales and release date to a causation. As in, the publisher/dev thinks that one of the reasons sales were so high for Benchmark Titles A, B and C was driven by release timing.

This is false.

Smarter pubs know this. Take 2, WB and others have released games across the year, in quarters outside of calendar Q4, to great success.

What?

Kill3r7

This is a very complicated issue, OP.

There's a portion of this driven by benchmarks and expectations.

Big title wants to get budgeted for production & marketing. In order to do this, the title will find titles in history (benchmarks) that have the units and revenues in order to provide the budgets requested. Other things like social, intent to buy, pre-order goals, etc will all be calculated.

This is false.

Unfortunately, until more history is built showing titles can have huge success around all release periods, this trend of a huge chunk of releases hitting Q4 will continue.

As per usual, you bring up lots of good points but the benchmarking data must strongly suggest that the holiday season is the way to go. The biggest releases always seem to be saved for September onward. That said, two things to consider; 1) 2016 is a good example of year where we have had major AAA games being released throughout the year (so we should be able to see whether those spring release make it to the Top10 for the year) and 2) EA has not been shy about releasing big games in the spring, including Mass Effect 2 & 3, BFBC2 and BFHardline.

chemicals

they're all chasing the money. studies show that people spend more money on games during that time of the year, so yeah. not hard to figure out.

carlsojo

how do you not understand the holiday season and how much shit gets sold

have you heard of this thing called black friday?

Top Bottom