• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are CEs/LEs priced 100$+ regularly include crap?

Cyberpunkd

This has been bothering me for many years now - you get you Ultimate / All-In edition priced to stratosphere, e.g. Cyberpunk was 220€ and it always includes things that anyone having this kind of money freely available would be embarrassed to own: figurines, pins, stickers, etc.

Why not actually appeal to older people who still love games but do not want to turn their apartments into nerd dens? How difficult is it to come up with the following:

1. Game
2. Steelbook with exclusive art
3. Artbook A4 format 200 pages hard cover
4. Numbered lithograph to frame and put on the wall

The only reason I see for the current state of things is companies trying to trip kids into extracting money from their parents, this they include things that appeal to teens on purpose.

Thoughts? Comments?

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
OP got robbed

Cyberpunk-2077-Collectors-Edition

maxresdefault.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
Some people are still likely to think lithographs are nerdy shite as well. Like is it better to have a 13 inch Jason statue or a strip of 3 movie cells on the wall?

The bottom line is the markup is probably better and it's something weighty and tangible in return.

I do agree with the overall sentiment though, even attire (not weird garish shite), accompanying novels, custom controllers, key chains, car air fresheners, fragrances, guitar picks, protein shakers could all be discovered.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've never seen the appeal of stickers, let alone the rest of the tat you get with most collector's editions.

I've bought steelbook editions in the past, and that's as far as it goes aside from Sonic Generations, which came in a Mega Drive style case and had a t-shirt, which was strictly an indoor/throwaway piece.

The idea of putting a sticker on some of my pristine expensive electronics is the antithesis to a clean and tidy person who leans towards minimalism. What am I supposed to do with a crappy little plastic thing? I can't even recall any examples because they're all so forgettable outside of the Pipboy with Fallout 4, and even then who the fuck was going to wear the Pipboy attachment just to use the now dead app instead of the in-game inventory? What a waste of battery if nothing else

Last edited:

fatmarco

halo4limited_508691.jpg

I remember the Halo 4 one being particularly irritating. A bunch of individually sealed "UNSC"/ in world lore documents which were fun to open because it was like you had a real piece of the world, so it was cool initially.

However after a few days you realised you had a bunch of crappy tin foil wrappers and individual pieces of paper/ dust magnets to deal with, which are still ostensibly "collectors items". I still haven't thrown them in the trash because of that, but I really should.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why not actually appeal to older people who still love games but do not want to turn their apartments into nerd dens? How difficult is it to come up with the following:

1. Game
2. Steelbook with exclusive art
3. Artbook A4 format 200 pages hard cover
4. Numbered lithograph to frame and put on the wall

That's literally what you just said you don't want. If you have a framed picture of a video game, it's a nerd den. Calling it a "numbered lithograph" doesn't distract anyone from that fact that it's a picture of a video game. Same with having a bookshelf full of video game books, and steelbooks designed to make people feel like they own something special. It's all the exact same shit. Steelbooks and lithographs are not "tasteful" collectible items.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
If you took the cost of the base game away from the "Collectables" and looked at the price difference, as in what you are paying extra for it's a bad deal. It's a legacy thing from decades ago where the collectors version really was limited numbers. Real talk, it's a bunch of crap in most cases will just stay in the box. Nobody's going to use the say, stickers, wear the T Shirt because your edition is no longer complete.

Reactions: AV

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Because this is how they earn money: selling bunch of 0.1$ branded craps for an outrageous price.

It just works.
[insert smiling Todd photo here]

Who wear pin's, like seriously ?
"Hey pal, check my pin's, I'm so cool with my obscure acronym/logo nobody cares and don't forget to check my stickers too on my leased car"

Last edited:
The Smash Ultimate CE is the only useful CE.

I am guilty of buying LE/CEs over the years but slowly trying to get rid of them once I have beaten or completed the games.

OP I think it's time to admit that you're a nerd and that you have a nerd den. It's okay, no judgement...we're all nerds here. Also...don't know if you noticed...being nerdy has become kind of cool in the last few years so...

Cravis

As much as I’d like to bash those that buy the overprice LEs, they’re doing us all a huge favor. The minute they stop subsidizing our $60 price point by purchasing those LEs then the minimum game price will increase too.

So I say thank you to all those that buy the LEs so I don’t have to pay more than $60 for my copy.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
As much as I’d like to bash those that buy the overprice LEs, they’re doing us all a huge favor. The minute they stop subsidizing our $60 price point by purchasing those LEs then the minimum game price will increase too.

So I say thank you to all those that buy the LEs so I don’t have to pay more than $60 for my copy.
You do realize that game already cost 100 dollars minimum right? You are just buying it in parts

I honestly think companies have taken this "nerdy" merch too far.

Its no longer about having some meaningful memorabilia or keepsake, but more of a marketing stunt now to nourish "nerd culture" and attract attention. Not to mention the countless variants of limited editions these days: gold, silver, ultimate, deluxe, premium etc. what have you.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
It's high margin junk which simply pads the bottom line and more people than ever are willing to spend even more money on it.

Type_Raver

Because the resell better, and usually at a profit.

Played/completed octopath traveller, zelda links awakening, astral chain (although regret letting this one go) and all sold for more than retail price.

Im more concerned more and more, these CE dont include the game. I mean...WTF. How are we allowing this? I believe ME Andromeda was the first CE i knew of that didn't have a copy of the game included.

Top Bottom