• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why are NVIDIA and AMD so stingy with VRAM?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Both AMD and Nvidia seem to block the AIBs from clam-shelling the memory now as well. If they didn't, I'm sure we would have seen some 16GB 3060TIs or even 6650XTs.
You wouldnt need to clamshell GDDR6X chips anyway.
16GB 3070Tis and 20GB 3080s exist in the wild.
They were just never sold to peasants.

bbeach123

How are 3080 users dealing with Forspoken? Doesn't that game check the amount of VRAM and limit the texture detail quite a lot?
If it work the same as FF15 (they're using the same engine) then yea .

I remembered playing FF15 with a 3G vram gpu . If I point the camera to the ground then its load high quality textures , but if I point the camera 90 degree then its lower the ground's textures quality quite a bit . So no vram stutter like others game (unless ur vram is very very low) .

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
If it work the same as FF15 (they're using the same engine) then yea .

I remembered playing FF15 with a 3G vram gpu . If I point the camera to the ground then its load high quality textures , but if I point the camera 90 degree then its lower the ground's textures quality quite a bit . So no vram stutter like others game (unless ur vram is very very low) .
May be same engine but Forspoken has a hard limit for VRAM where 8gb makes texture too blurry, like 6th gen blurry lol but maybe I was just misinformed

Petopia

Banned
1080p is quickly falling into the same realm as 720p where it's starting to become sort of a 'last resort' low end resolution, we can't exactly keep using 1080p as a standard anymore when 1440p is today's 1080p.

i mean for cards lower than 80 series VRAM is a joke. you're lucky to get more than 8gb
you own a 4090 so its clearly not a problem for you
Would be true if people would be adopting 1440p on a faster basis but that's a topic for another day.

Top Bottom