• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people excited about starfield?

samoilaaa

So i just read that some guy asked Todd howard what he meant when he said "starfield will be a more hardcore rpg" and Todd's response was :
"Really excited about what the team has done with character creation here. Including choosing background, skills, etc. You also can pick your pronoun (he, she, they) and we've recorded all the relevant dialogue to support that choice"
Like seriously ? This is an hardcore rpg feature ? chosing skills and the way npcs call you ? You would think that in an rpg the option to chose your background and skills is a must
Has the rpg genre fallen that much ?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Is your mind so narrow that you can't accept an additional character preference? So what if the game can call someone they? Nobody's making you choose it.

At least don't try to veil your butthurt in "but how is that hardcore?" Just say what you're really thinking.

yurinka

It's a big new AAA IP from Bethesda, and now Microsoft. Something not very common lately so I assume it's enough to hype their fans.

Recent Bethesda games maybe weren't so popular, but they have a lot of fans from games like Skyrim or Fallout 4 so they hope this one is made by 'their best team' and hope it will be as good as these ones were.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
It's a big new AAA IP from Bethesda, and now Microsoft. Something not very common lately so I assume it's enough to hype their fans.
It's from the creators of Skyrim, one of the biggest games EVER. Of course it's one of the most hyped games of the year. Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies. That's 30 million people right there that are anxiously awaiting Starfield. This is no surprise.

vj27

Banned
So i just read that some guy asked Todd howard what he meant when he said "starfield will be a more hardcore rpg" and Todd's response was :
"Really excited about what the team has done with character creation here. Including choosing background, skills, etc. You also can pick your pronoun (he, she, they) and we've recorded all the relevant dialogue to support that choice"
Like seriously ? This is an hardcore rpg feature ? chosing skills and the way npcs call you ? You would think that in an rpg the option to chose your background and skills is a must
I’m pretty sure we both can see they specifically mean there is an emphasis on branching dialogue trees and such like older fallout games vs fallout 4 which had little choices that affected the overall game and story.

Omali

i just cant be excited about a game that only has a trailer and some concept arts , the same goes for fable , wolverine , avowed
spider man 2 only has a teaser but we know how the prequel was so we can expect it will good
That's the strategy. Keep it vague enough and let the audience's imagination fill in the gaps.

People are excited over it because it’s from what I’m assuming and hearing, Elder Scrolls or Fallout which are both very popular in space with a bigger budget, new engine and a lot hype around it. If what you read was true, I’m not even remotely surprised anymore with the direction Western gaming seems to be heading now unfortunately.

Lognor

Banned
The lack of trailers even in todays age of fake trailers, we have nothing. Very telling to me where development is headed
?

Go back and look at Skyrim. I think you will see a similar marketing effort. From a quick google search, Skyrim was announcement 11 months before it released (although they probably had confirmed they were working on the next Elder Scrolls game years before). The first snippet of actual gameplay came in February of its release year. And then there was a blowout at that year's E3.

I would guess we will get a snippet of actual gameplay in the next month and then a big blowout at E3. Be patient!

Lognor

Banned
Morrowind in space. That's a big selling point.
Most people don't even know what Morrowind is. That game is awesome though (better than Skyrim). Bethesda really should remake Morrowind. It would probably do really well given the popularity of Skyrim. Google says Morrowind "only" sold 4m copies.

LOLCats

Banned
Mods, freedom. I love true beth based rpgs because of freedom to do or play any way you want. bethesda rpgs also resolve the need for me to pick up everything, cuz console commands.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
RPG elements are added to so many games nowadays, contrasting that by calling a traditional RPG hardcore doesn't diminish RPGs. I guess this is just a way to whine about pronouns.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Here's the actual question asked, notice how the guy asked 2 questions, one broad, one narrow.. the second part question is what Todd answered.

Reddit AMA ? said:
I've read that a goal of Starfield is that it will be more of a "hardcore RPG". Can you verify this and flesh that out in more detail?

Does that mean that the character creation will be more complicated like it was in Morrowind and Oblivion?

So blame the Reddit question asker for why Todd answered that way... however like most AMAs about unreleased games that have very little info.. the responses are vague.

I'm sure you already knew this though since you quoted the first half of the question verbatim, but failed to link to the AMA for some strange reason.

Almost like you just wanted to create whiny ant-woke NeoGAF thread #52481371892379812321.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I have a pain just above my right boob, what should I do? How do I know if I'm having a heart attack or if its just a indigestion?

edit - It went away and I didn't die.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I really dont think Oblivion is all that much more "hardcore" than Skyrim as far as character creation goes. You are just focused on slightly more complicated "attributes" but lose out on the actual perk system Skyrim used, which was borrowed from Fallout series. You then have things like standing stones that can be changed, and of course the shouts you can gain and equip. Skyrim's perk system might be more approachable than just adding to stats, but there was a shit ton of options to it.

I guess it's more "hardcore" to just tweak some numbers a bunch or equip things that increased those numbers. But it also could break the game if you fucked with it, which was kinda fun though lol

Uncle Rico: "Back in Oblivion I could jump clear over those mountains."

Last edited:
Idk why would anyone be interested in something nobody knows shit about, also knowing how things run nowadays as well as bethesda, a shit launch full of bugs is on its way.
New IP from creators of Oblivion, Morrowind, skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4.

Hell yeah im excited.

And no its not same studio which worked on Fallout 76. We talking about the A team in Bethesda here.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
14-C2-A515-D67-D-4-D22-AF8-C-F168-B3-CE5-A73.jpg

dorkimoe

I’ll wait for actual gameplay before I start jerking off about the game. People should have learned their lesson from no man’s and cyberpunk but here we are

sircaw

Banned
I have high hopes for this game.

Although Fallout 4 was not the greatest of games, I still have had alot of fun playing it, even up to today.

I have actually been playing the game for the last week or so since i got my new ps5, and it has amazed me how smooth and fast the loads times and overall game experience have become over time.

Here is a random clip from today that almost ended badly for me.

If starfield can produce little moments like this, i think it's going to make a lot of fans happy.

TrebleShot

Why do you care if other people are excited for something?

Does it effect you in any way?

I am excited to see what it’s like and if it’s any different to the usual Bethesda shite.

Filben

Morrowind
I think the Bethesda Morrowind days are over.

We won't see another Morrowind (in space) style game from Bethesda anymore. What they done with Fallout 4 and 76 is telling. And even Skyrim, which is anything but Morrowind, already marked their approach to streamlining.

Furthermore, as of now we don't know anything for sure about its gameplay. And it's probably gonna be bug infested and, IF there's mod support, up to the community to fix their damn game (like it was time and time again).

Todd himself also said that, paraphrased, that he regretted to not have monetisation options in Skyrim, which they sure add double times in F76 (MTX, subscription fee on top of a full price game). So expect a shitload of MTX in Starfield too.

Top Bottom