• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people excited about starfield?

bitbydeath

taHHKnY.gif
Have a read of this one for example.

Stuart360

It seems like people are expecting a miracle with this game. I’ve seen comments like Skyrim in space whilst also suggesting each planet will be the size of Skyrim.

If Bethesda could make multiple planets with the density of Skyrim then shouldn’t the next Elder Scrolls title (being a single planet) only take around 6 months to a year to make?

Todd could probably even make TESVI in a single nights sleep with some of the expectations people have set for themselves for this game.
I dont think anyone is expecting every planet, moon, base, whatever you go to to be the size and complexity of Skyrim. And anyone that does is just trying to put unachievable expectations on the game.
When Todd said 'Skyrim in space', i'm pretty sure he was just letting people know what to expect gameplay wise.

Last edited:

begotten

Your friendly reminder that Sony tried to buy Starfield's exclusively before the acquisition. They obviously saw something worth bringing out the checkbook for.

But this happens all the time. You really think The Medium had a must play and subscription selling factor to it, or maybe MS just needed a new horror game at the time for their catalogue, like Sony would have liked another RPG in Starfield.

SteadyEvo

Excitement from the possibility of Fallout 3 in space. If handled properly could be HUGE. We’ll have to wait and see

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah giving the track record of Bethesda that is unlikely. So much so that worrying about it is just concern trolling.

Many companies would love to have BETHESDA's track record. FO76 was a rare misfire from this company when it comes to mainline games. And as much as people like to shit on FO76, that was a game that could have had a more successful launch if they had done a bit more consumer testing to figure out the things that simply did not work (which they eventually did, with the game in peoples hands).

. . .as for STARFIELD I am definitely interested in what they can do outside of a fantasy setting and in a new IP. I'm honestly expecting the game to be structured like Outer Worlds, just with much larger areas; though if it is one large planet with smaller surrounding offworld designations that would be fine too.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Many companies would love to have BETHESDA's track record. FO76 was a rare misfire from this company when it comes to mainline games. And as much as people like to shit on FO76, that was a game that could have had a more successful launch if they had done a bit more consumer testing to figure out the things that simply did not work (which they eventually did, with the game in peoples hands).

. . .as for STARFIELD I am definitely interested in what they can do outside of a fantasy setting and in a new IP. I'm honestly expecting the game to be structured like Outer Worlds, just with much larger areas; though if it is one large planet with smaller surrounding offworld designations that would be fine too.

I think it will be open world, or "open galaxy". Freedom has always been a big part Bethesda games.

I do think planets will only be partly explorable though. Otherwise it would be too big.

Sosokrates

Ignore? I said the source was one guy on twitter. And it was:

Yes but you missed that information which adds to the credibility of the rumour, you and the other guy are trying to make out like its an untrustworthy source , i mean "its only one guy on twitter"

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yeah this is what i meant in my earlier post about a narrative trying to be made by certain sections about Bethesda being not that good. Take away Fallout 76 (who want even made by Todds team) and you have an exemplory set of games probably unmatched by pretty much anyone -

Morowind
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Yeah this is what i meant in my earlier post about a narrative trying to be made by certain sections about Bethesda being not that good. Take away Fallout 76 (who want even made by Todds Skyrim team) and you have an exemplory set of games probably unmatched by pretty much anyone -

Morowind
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Fallout 4.

Yeah its hilarious some folks are actually trying to form such a narrative 😂

Stuart360

Yes but you missed that information which adds to the credibility of the rumour, you and the other guy are trying to make out like its an untrustworthy source , i mean "its only one guy on twitter"
Yeah i mean we know for a fact they bought exclusivity for 2 Zenimax games, and no ones going to tell me they didnt also try and get Starfield, the 'first new IP in 20 years from the makers of Skyrim and Fallout'.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes but you missed that information which adds to the credibility of the rumour, who and the other guy are trying to make out like its an untrustworthy source , i mean "its only one guy on twitter"

Rumors are rumors. This twitter post is the single source for that rumor. It has not been corroborated by anyone else. I said nothing about the source being "untrustworthy". I said it was "one guy". And it, factually, was. If you have a problem with that then you have a problem with facts and I can't help you with that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
According to critics the game is supposed to be big and a continuation of previous works right now we know starfield is in game of the year conversation with elder stone and gran TURISMO 7.

Sosokrates

Rumors are rumors. This twitter post is the single source for that rumor. It has not been corroborated by anyone else. I said nothing about the source being "untrustworthy". I said it was "one guy". And it, factually, was. If you have a problem with that then you have a problem with facts and I can't help you with that.

Its pretty obvious that you dont think the one guy saying is a credible source,

Otherwise you would not of gave the fire emoji to the "they will never learn" statement

1t4Ne4i.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Its pretty obvious that you dont think the one guy saying is a credible source,

Otherwise you would not of gave the fire emoji to the "they will never learn" statement

1t4Ne4i.jpg

Whether or not I think he is a credible source is irrelevant. He is the only source. If emojis are your only argument at this point then we really don't have anything to talk about.

kingfey

Banned
Whether or not I think he is a credible source is irrelevant. He is the only source. If emojis are your only argument at this point then we really don't have anything to talk about.
The guy has more credible, than random twitter people.

Plus Sony got timed exclusive for deathloop and ghostwire tokyo. You think, they wouldnt get the exclusive rights for starfield?

Topher

Gold Member
The guy has more credible, than random twitter people.

Plus Sony got timed exclusive for deathloop and ghostwire tokyo. You think, they wouldnt get the exclusive rights for starfield?

Maybe. True. No idea.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Maybe. True. No idea.
A new bethesda IP, which is timed exclusive to your console would have boosted the Ps5. Especially with the games they have this year. If MS havent bought bethesda, this would have been 100% timed exclusive to Ps5.

kingfey

Banned
I was exaggerating of course, but I have seen posts where you've spoken about how massive this game will, in even in comparison to other AAA tiles.
There is something charming about bethesda games. They nail the exploration part. Your character is nobody. You can make your own destiny. This is why Starfield is big deal. Space game, with skyrim+ no man sky flavor is recipe for a generational game. It wont hit 97 metacritic, but it will leave a mark in gaming, like skyrim did.

Stuart360

I was exaggerating of course, but I have seen posts where you've spoken about how massive this game will, in even in comparison to other AAA tiles.
Its not going to sell as much as Skyrim (roughly 40mil) or Fallout 4 (roughly 30mil) as its a new IP, its only on PC and Xbox, and its on Gamepass day one.
I wouldnt be surprised if it matches Fallout 4, and possibly Skyrim long term in player numbers though.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
There is something charming about bethesda games. They nail the exploration part. Your character is nobody. You can make your own destiny. This is why Starfield is big deal. Space game, with skyrim+ no man sky flavor is recipe for a generational game. It wont hit 97 metacritic, but it will leave a mark in gaming, like skyrim did.
Not much charming about the past two Fallout games though.

Hopefully this will bring something new to the formula, and without the bugs and lack of polish.

Starfield

Look. Starfield won't invent the wheel again (in terms of mechanics and some gameplay stuff it will be VERY different than TES/Fallout) but it probably will be a solid game.

It will also be an open world scifi rpg, we don't have many of those nowadays.

kingfey

Banned
Not much charming about the past two Fallout games though.

Hopefully this will bring something new to the formula, and without the bugs and lack of polish.
The bug is something that is out of their control. Their engine needs huge revamp, since old bugs from 1st version still follows them. Its why their games looks jaggy or buggy.

kingfey

Banned
Look. Starfield won't invent the wheel again (in terms of mechanics and some gameplay stuff it will be VERY different than TES/Fallout) but it probably will be a solid game.

It will also be an open world scifi rpg, we don't have many of those nowadays.
It can have fun with warp mechanics. Imagine warping through the universe. Its space game. There are endless mechanics which bethesda can make.

Top Bottom