• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people excited about starfield?

Corndog

Banned
Is your mind so narrow that you can't accept an additional character preference? So what if the game can call someone they? Nobody's making you choose it.

At least don't try to veil your butthurt in "but how is that hardcore?" Just say what you're really thinking.
Because it’s pathetic. Since when are gender pronouns malleable? 99.9% of us fit in one of two groups. But I guess in the last 20 years science just decided to change.

kingfey

Banned
Will the real Todd Howard stand up!
You dont want that. He will make you buy skyrim for 10th time.
I suggest you stay away from him, and have space of 100m. Also, never listen to him. His lies are so sweet, that it will make you buy skyrim nonstop.
Be warned.

kingfey

Banned
Because it’s pathetic. Since when are gender pronouns malleable? 99.9% of us fit in one of two groups. But I guess in the last 20 years science just decided to change.
Does bethesda games even have gender? Its up to the gamer, to make their characters what they want to.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
According to critics the game is supposed to be big and a continuation of previous works right now we know starfield is in game of the year conversation with elder stone and gran TURISMO 7.

Who says this? What are they basing this on? What the developers are telling them. It is fine to be excited for STARFIELD but attaching this level of surety to a product that no one has reliably seen is silly. If there are more in-depth previews of the game that I haven't seen I'd love to check 'em out, but right now I fully expect this game to be more BETHESDA -

. . .though in this climate, I can't imagine their usual "polish" is going to cut it. Maybe that's a good thing and we get a BETHESDA game worthy of the world they are building (finally updating the Creation Engine is a good step).

Way to get your panties in a knot over something that will NEVER impact you in the slightest.

Last edited:
i just cant be excited about a game that only has a trailer and some concept arts , the same goes for fable , wolverine , avowed
spider man 2 only has a teaser but we know how the prequel was so we can expect it will good
We have years of BGS projects to know what to expect. At minimum if they took Skyrim and switched it to space you got an 8. It’s not an if the game will be good or bad but will it just be good like fallout 4 or industry changing like mirrowind - Skyrim. I’m going with the latter.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Why are people excited about starfield?​

It's the next mainline game from the primary Bethesda Game Studios. There's prestige there.

Javthusiast

Banned
Because Space breh.
space cat nebula GIF

Topher

Gold Member

It's the next mainline game from the primary Bethesda Game Studios. There's prestige there.

Massive prestige.

Comedy Dating GIF by CBC

I can't wait to play this game and I don't even know what it is!

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Not sure what the faux outage OP is trying to stir up is about, but the answer to the thread question is very obvious. There is exactly one reason people are excited for Starfield:

It's a totally original game from the preeminent Western RPG developer.

There is also a small contingent of individuals who are even more excited because it won't be released on PlayStation.

lordrand11

i just cant be excited about a game that only has a trailer and some concept arts , the same goes for fable , wolverine , avowed
spider man 2 only has a teaser but we know how the prequel was so we can expect it will good
We know how their previous journeys into differently styled RPGs were and can expect their take on a space opera will be just as detailed or have you forgotten they helmed the Fallout franchise after 2 and brought us the world, story, and extended story we have now?

As much as I like to shit on Bethesda with their issues upon release they do have an amazingly talented team that builds unparalleled worlds that expand on a Player Character narrative. I'll be buying it day one and playing it, you don't have to.

I trust their process and understand they'll either do well, or fix any issues that arise. It's not like they're owned by EA or Activision and only the money talks.

*edit* Hell, most of you guys were excited for No Man's Sky and it released failing to meet expectations. I had faith they would make it right because they said they would and that game now and after update 1.4 has easily topped into my 10s. These aren't JRPG developers that don't consistently work on their content to keep making it better and better with each update and patch. Fuck, Cyberpunk just did the same thing and the game has gotten really good.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I am not yet. I can't be for a game I know next to nothing about. I can understand being excited for a sequel about a game you loved even if you don't know anything about it.
But with Starfield, I don't know enough... Maybe the game will be right up my alley once we'll know more about it though. Another game I am curious about is Redfall, because sure the trailer was bad but it wasn't the game, so it accounted next to nothing about what the game will be and I loved some of Arkhane previous work (except deathloop, great concept but poorly executed imo).

Zeroing

Banned
Well judging by the fact that sony moneyhatted 2 games from zenimax, it does not seem unlikely that they were gunning for the big one.

But... You 2 just happen to ignore this information 😂
Sure believe in a random guy on twitter just to validate your conspiracy theories….

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Whether or not I think he is a credible source is irrelevant. He is the only source. If emojis are your only argument at this point then we really don't have anything to talk about.
Lol, thats what im saying... If you dont think its credible, fine... No need to deny it.
I personally think because sony already got two timed exclusives from zenimax it does seem likely they at least talked about the idea of paying for timed exclusivity for Starfield.

Robb

Gold Member
At this point I think the question should be;

why are people so surprised other people are excited about StarField?

It’s a huge new game from a popular developer, shouldn’t be that hard to understand why people are excited for it imo.

Last edited:
As a Big Fallout fan the Fallout community have been itching for a new Fallout Game but we won't get a new Fallout game for a very long time so we see Starfield as a bridge Between Fallout & Mass Effect we see it as Fallout in Space.

Sega Orphan

Banned
The only three reasons you wouldn't be hyped about Starfield are:
1. You don't play on Xbox or PC. That's fair enough. I don't play on Nintendo so I don't care about any of their games. If you would like to play the game but don't game on Xbox or PC, then that's a bit annoying, but you can either get a PC or Xbox and play it, or miss out.
2. You don't like Space games. I mean, that's pretty crazy, but to each their own.
3. You don't like RPGs. Again, fair enough.

Airbus Jr

Banned
For a game that suppose to come out in 2022 theyve shown very litle of it

Finger crossed its gona be good but i havent seen anything substantial so far

Theyre on borrowed time if deadline releases is 22

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Hopefully Starfield will be like Oblivion/Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim days, a return to rpg with big open world spaces to explore and npc's to interact with and everything that made Bethesda games great in those 5 years from 2006 to 2011, that's why i'm potentially excited for it,

Those games made me a Bethesda fan back then, and since Skyrim, only The Outer Worlds recently was like those games, yes Fallout 4 came out, but it was a shooter with base building far more than an rpg imo, i enjoyed playing it once but i've never managed to replay it all yet, like i could the previous games,

Even If Starfield is more Fallout 4 than the others, i'm still looking forward to it, i love their games before Fallout 76, the hours i've spent in them and modding is without count.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Loads of people love Bethesdas flagship games, morrowind, oblivion, fallout, Skyrim.

why wouldn’t they be excited about their new IP set in a sci if backdrop?

im looking forward to it, hopefully it’s pretty special.

Last edited:

RyRy93

For a game that suppose to come out in 2022 theyve shown very litle of it

Finger crossed its gona be good but i havent seen anything substantial so far

Theyre on borrowed time if deadline releases is 22
With Fallout 4 they didn't show anything until E3, which was about 5 months before release.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

The only three reasons you wouldn't be hyped about Starfield are:
1. You don't play on Xbox or PC. That's fair enough. I don't play on Nintendo so I don't care about any of their games. If you would like to play the game but don't game on Xbox or PC, then that's a bit annoying, but you can either get a PC or Xbox and play it, or miss out.
2. You don't like Space games. I mean, that's pretty crazy, but to each their own.
3. You don't like RPGs. Again, fair enough.
i play on pc but dont have an xbox
i like space games , i dead space , prey , mass effect are some of my favorite games
rpg is my favorite genre , baldurs gate 3 is only in early acess and i already have over 100 hours in it , thats just 1 act , i expect to put 500 hours easy once the game releases

Sega Orphan

Banned
i play on pc but dont have an xbox
i like space games , i dead space , prey , mass effect are some of my favorite games
rpg is my favorite genre , baldurs gate 3 is only in early acess and i already have over 100 hours in it , thats just 1 act , i expect to put 500 hours easy once the game releases
Yeah, it's a space game. Like Mass Effect but more realistic. What's not to like?

OceanGaming

So i just read that some guy asked Todd howard what he meant when he said "starfield will be a more hardcore rpg" and Todd's response was :
"Really excited about what the team has done with character creation here. Including choosing background, skills, etc. You also can pick your pronoun (he, she, they) and we've recorded all the relevant dialogue to support that choice"
Like seriously ? This is an hardcore rpg feature ? chosing skills and the way npcs call you ? You would think that in an rpg the option to chose your background and skills is a must
Has the rpg genre fallen that much ?
Yes, picking your pronouns, whether you like it or not, is part of the ROLE PLAYING experience for those who want that option. They are %100 right in that instance. (I do not know if Todd meant the ergavity when he talked about hardcore part)

samoilaaa

Yes, picking your pronouns, whether you like it or not, is part of the ROLE PLAYING experience for those who want that option. They are %100 right in that instance. (I do not know if Todd meant the ergavity when he talked about hardcore part)
why is everyone fixating on the pro nouns , is my post really that hard to understand ?
im not saying that pro nouns should or should not be in an rpg im saying pro nouns , choosing background , skills are not hardcore rpg features , they are standard , at least in rpgs that take themselves seriously

Last edited:

OceanGaming

why is everyone fixating on the pro nouns , is my post really that hard to understand ?
Why did you try to mock it then as if it is not? "Like seriously ? This is an hardcore rpg feature ?" Yes it is and i don't give a damn whether you like it or not.

I know a lot of people around here in NeoGaf is reactionary but game companies are not. The people that work on games are highly progressive and want their games as progressive as well.

Last edited:

SSfox

It's fine and it's in their rights to feature in a game that have character creation avatar. The problem is when this subject becomes the main focus discussion in every game. No surpring that most modern western games are garbage can.

IDappa

Who says this? What are they basing this on? What the developers are telling them. It is fine to be excited for STARFIELD but attaching this level of surety to a product that no one has reliably seen is silly. If there are more in-depth previews of the game that I haven't seen I'd love to check 'em out, but right now I fully expect this game to be more BETHESDA -

. . .though in this climate, I can't imagine their usual "polish" is going to cut it. Maybe that's a good thing and we get a BETHESDA game worthy of the world they are building (finally updating the Creation Engine is a good step).

Way to get your panties in a knot over something that will NEVER impact you in the slightest.
Always hear people say it doesn't effect them if they just say the pronouns people want. Then you go and call a bloke a bloke but they think they're a woman and then they scream at you. Seems to me it impacts some.

In regards to it being in the game who cares. But you know they're are doing it for the brownie points.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's Bethesda. as broken as their games can be performance wise (skyrim/fallout 4) i still enjoy them and i'm excited for another game from them especially one that isn't Elder Scrolls or Fallout. A new IP in space? yeah i'm playing that.

Last edited:

OceanGaming

Bethesda. Space. First new IP in 25 years. Vastly updated game engine. Massive game with several different types of cities.

Really don’t see how that’s hard to understand - people wanna see what that’s about

Don't bother, there are a lot of "Pronouns Are The Devil's Work Unless It Is The Pronouns I Want " crowd in this thread mixed with Sony fanatics who are butthurt their master couldn't get exclusivity so they can't glory-howl like a dog in their console wars.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Lol, thats what im saying... If you dont think its credible, fine... No need to deny it.
I personally think because sony already got two timed exclusives from zenimax it does seem likely they at least talked about the idea of paying for timed exclusivity for Starfield.

I don’t know if he is credible or not so there is nothing to confirm or deny. I just know that some have taken this single source as gospel truth which I don’t think is wise. Is it possible? Certainly. Not sure what the controversy is here, dude.

samoilaaa

Why did you try to mock it then as if it is not? "Like seriously ? This is an hardcore rpg feature ?" Yes it is and i don't give a damn whether you like it or not.

I know a lot of people around here in NeoGaf is reactionary but game companies are not. The people that work on games are highly progressive and want their games as progressive as well.
if you think that this is an hardcore rpg feature then you must not have played alot of rpgs , go play some rpgs from the 90's - early 00's , almost all of them have this option
go play the old fallout games , baldurs gate games, deus ex , and if you want more recent games go play pathfinder games and wasteland 2-3 if you want to see what an hardcore rpg looks like
want something more appealing to the general public ? Mass effect , Fallout new vegas , the witcher 3 , prey

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I don’t know if he is credible or not so there is nothing to confirm or deny. I just know that some have taken this single source as gospel truth which I don’t think is wise. Is it possible? Certainly. Not sure what the controversy is here, dude.
There isnt a controversy.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It seems like people are expecting a miracle with this game. I’ve seen comments like Skyrim in space whilst also suggesting each planet will be the size of Skyrim.

If Bethesda could make multiple planets with the density of Skyrim then shouldn’t the next Elder Scrolls title (being a single planet) only take around 6 months to a year to make?

Todd could probably even make TESVI in a single nights sleep with some of the expectations people have set for themselves for this game.

Sorry for the double post, but to be honest, if there were thousands of planets to explore, each one with a map at least the same size as Skyrim, then I'd be absolutely hyped AF. As long as the planets all had unique settlements and missions.

winjer

Gold Member

If you were to say that several years ago, I would agree.
But Bethesda has lost most of it's prestige. It's sleeping on it's laurels for over a decade now.
It has been releasing only sup-par games. And Skyrim over and over again.
Then there are the lies from Todd Howard. It just works......

Maybe Bethesda can pull off something good, now that they are under MS supervision.
But they have to prove they are worthy of gamer's trust.

Neff

It's Fallout in space. The concept art is great. The graphics are great. Sounds like a winner to me.

EDMIX

I'm hype as I do want to know what it is, but by day 1 pre-order is largely based on what the fuck I generally do in the game lol

If its a Elder Scrolls / Fallout in space and you go from planet to planet, ship to ship raiding for shit and doing quest in space? Day 1. I'm also ok if its not that if its actually something interesting. It will take a lot to get me to ignore it tbh. Like being a walking sim would get me to let go lol This is even more funny as we are more likely to get Starfield before StarCitizen.

Neff Neff it "could" be fallout in space, they have never confirmed anything like that even remotely. I hope it is btw, but they haven't put out anything to suggest its just going to be that. We need more info, footage etc

Last edited:

scalman

why not , i love Fallout 4 , still enjoying it with bunch mods. so if its even larger open "worlds" game in space and on planets im in . hope it will have same or larger freedom from previous games.

Top Bottom